Wrapped Up In The Magic Of Music

A Taste Of Love

"You really can't expect me to close the bookstore and take a week off," Sophia asked incredulously.  Sophia was beginning to regret accepting the deal.  Thirty minutes ago, Jiyong had strutted into the shop with the largest grin and she's wanted to throw something at him ever since.  She knew one thing though - he excelled at irritating her and the new thing that he had demanded had her thinking about giving in to the urge.  She thought about picking up the cup of Americano sitting in front of him and tossing the hot liquid onto his lap.  The man had to be crazy to demand her to close the bookstore for a week.  "How do you expect me to make a living?"

"You said it yourself that you were planning on closing the store this Friday.  What's another three days?"

"Three days may not mean anything to you but to me it means business.  Business means more money to pay off the mountain of bills on my desk.  Plus what about my employees?"

"How many work for you?" Jiyong asked.  He had been too thrilled when she had called him earlier to even think about her workers.

"Five," she informed him.

"There are only five of them?  I can pay their wages also," he stated simply after making the calculations.  "Yes, I can do that."

"What?"  Sophia was flabbergasted at the way this man could just toss money about.  "No.  You're not."

"I'm not?"  He was confused.  "Why not?"

"Because I'm not closing the bookstore for a week just because you say so."  From underneath the counter, Sophia picked up the cleaning rag and spray bottle.  Furiously, she scrubbed down the counter and muttered a string of colorful phrases that she mentally shot at Jiyong.

"Why not?" he asked innocently and she scowled.  "I only have a week to change your mind about me.  How am I going to do it if you're always working?"

"I don't see why you're going to try so hard when you're not going to change my mind."

"You're so sure of it but it'll even make this victory sweeter when I win," he replied rather smugly.  "I'll tell you what, when I win.  I'll even let you pick out what we can do."

"And why are you so positive that you're going to win?"

"Because I'm nothing like the guys you know.  I'm one of a kind, baby.  So you can start thinking about what you'd like to do on our first date."

Sophia scoffed at his comment but she could already feel a sense of doubt growing the back of her mind.  Banishing it, she continued to spray down the counters and clean.  She couldn't let that doubt grow.  "Anyways, back to the main topic.  I'm not going to close the store for a week.  I'll give you the afternoons.  Except Thursday.  I'm going shopping.  Take it or leave it."

"The afternoons?"  Jiyong mulled it over and shook his head.  "I'll take Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday."

"Didn't you hear me?  I'm going shopping Thursday."

"More time to spend with you.  So all day Thursday?"

"No.  I'm already spending the entire weekend with you.  Plus Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  What more do you want?" she exclaimed.  "Every afternoon until this weekend."

"Every afternoon and all day Friday," Jiyong countered.  He was enjoying this negotiation way too much.  He liked how her cheeks reddened and how her eyes flared up.  Jiyong wondered how she would look after kissing her.  Jiyong frowned and discarded the thought like old underwear.  "If you don't agree then I'll change it to all day Thursday and Friday."

"Fine," Sophia snapped.  "I'll give you Friday too."

"I can't wait."  Jiyong silently celebrated to himself and grinned happily while Sophia felt as if she had sold her soul.  "What time are you closing tonight?"

"I'm going to close early tonight.  There's supposed to be a big snow storm," she stopped speaking and stared at the smirking man.  "You should really get going.  You don't want to get stuck in this storm."

"And how are you getting home?"  Jiyong arched an eyebrow and cocked his head.  Sophia rolled her eyes and opened to speak.  He interrupted.  "I'm going to call you crazy if you say that you're walking home."

"Call me crazy then," she snapped and she heard him mutter something underneath his breath.  It sounded like a string of swear words.  Stopping her cleaning, she arched an eyebrow and crossed her arms.  "What did you say?"

"I said that you have got to be the most bull headed person I've ever met and that I'm taking you home," Jiyong answered.  Once again, Sophia opened to argue.  Jiyong held up his hand and she closed and glared at him.  "And you're not going to argue about this.  It's final.  I'm taking you home."

Sophia mumbled a curse under her breath and resumed her cleaning.

"I'm sorry what did you say?" Sophia watched him cup his ear and lean forward dramatically.

"I said that if you're going to give me a ride then you better help me clean up," she replied between clenched teeth.  Bending down, she grabbed another towel, bunched it up and threw it at Jiyong - hard.  It flew across the counter and hit him in the chest.  "Take this and the bottle and wipe down all the tables."

"No please or thank you?"

"Now," she spat while turning back to wiping down the rest of the counter.  "Are you done with this?" Sophia questioned and watched him nod quickly and walk away.  Picking up the cold mug, she dumped out the contents before going into the back.  She stopped when she heard him whistling to himself.  Amused, her eyes followed the skinny man as he wandered down to the first table, one hand holding the nozzle of the bottle up and ready to spray and the towel clutched in his other hand.  She pressed her lips together tightly when she witnessed him squeeze the handle a couple of times and began to wipe down the tables.  It surprised her to see him cleaning her tables.

"Is something amusing you over there?"

"I'm debating on whether or not I should take a picture of you cleaning and keep it as a memento.  I'm sure this is a once in a lifetime thing," she teased.

"For your information, I do clean.  I'm what some people would call a neat freak." 

"Neat freak or control freak?" she questioned while watching him move the table and chairs before walking around it.  Jiyong looked up and grinned.  Sophia could feel butterflies flutter in the pit of her stomach.  She ignored them and gripped at the forgotten mug in her hand.  Quickly, she washed the cup and returned to find him rearranging the tables.  She smirked and he smiled embarrassingly. 

"A little of both but there are good points to being both.  Especially with what I do for a living."

"Oh?  What do you do?"

"I-" Jiyong stopped and grinned.  "You know what?  I'm not going to tell you."

"What?  Why not?" Sophia crossed her arms, tilted her head and arched an eyebrow.  She watched him make his way lazily around the tables and continued to clean them off.  He appeared to be completely at ease with cleaning.  "You probably don't even have a job.  I bet you're just a trust fund baby and living off of your parents' money."

"Trust fund baby?"  Jiyong snorted in response and shook his head.  "I'm looking forward to tomorrow even more now.  I can't wait to see your reaction when I show you."

"You can see my reaction by just telling me now?"

"Nope."

"At least give me a hint?"

"Ok I'll give you a hint."  Sophia waited for him to speak again only to find him grinning at her.  His eyes sparkled brightly and she shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

"Well?  What's this hint?"

"I'm everywhere."

"You're everywhere?  That's your hint?  That's not a hint," Sophia retorted.

"It actually hurts to know that you don't know who I am."

"Aww, your poor ego.  Don't dwell on it too much though.  I don't go out very much.  Just here and home, so I don't know a lot of people.  Now give me another hint."

"Nope," Jiyong replied.  "I'll show you tomorrow."

"Fine," Sophia saw the stubborn look on his face and she gave up.  Returning her attention back to rearranging the condiments decorating the counters.  She pursed her lips and thought about Jiyong's hint.  I'm everywhere.  That was probably one of the creepiest hints she's ever heard.  What did he mean by that?  "You're not a crazy stalker are you?"  Jiyong jerked as her voice interrupted the silence that cloaked them.

"What?  Why would you think that?"

"Your hint.  You're everywhere.  Sounds a lot like you're a creepy stalker."

"That's not an occupation silly," Jiyong teased.

"You are.  How else would you know all that information about me?"

"I just happen to know people who can access information easily."  Jiyong shrugged and Sophia narrowed her eyes.  Jiyong finished cleaning and straightening the tables and stared expectantly at Sophia.  "What now?"

"Sweep?" she suggested and quickly handed him the broom.   He accepted it without much of an argument and that had actually disappointed Sophia.  She knew he clearly enjoyed irritating her and she had begun to expect a smart retort in return to anything she said.  Sophia watched the skinny man sweep the floor and began to realize that she was beginning to enjoy his company.  She liked having him around.  In all honesty, she wanted him around a lot more.  The revelation left Sophia reeling.  She could feel cracks appear in the walls she had built around her and a sense of panic set in.  Muttering a string of swear words, she turned away and began counting out the register.

"What'd you say?" Jiyong stopped sweeping and watched Sophia still at his voice.

"Nothing."

"Liar.  Now what did you say?"

"I said that it's too quiet in here.  How about some music?  Is there anything you'd like to listen to?  Do you even want to listen to music?"

"Sure.  No and as long as you want to," Jiyong answered simply with a grin and Sophia scowled.

"What?"

"Sure, I'd like some music.  No there isn't anything specific.   I'm ok with listening to anything as long as you want to listen to it as well."

Sophia said nothing and rolled her eyes at the matter of fact tone in his voice as she made her way to the stereo.  Scrolling through her iPod, she looked for something soothing.  The sound of drums and a guitar flowed though the speakers and the music washed over the both of them.

I want you to believe in life but I get the strangest feeling that you've gone away.  Will you find out who you are too late to change.  I wish I could be every little thing you wanted.  All the time.  I wish I could be every little thing you wanted. 

"Nice song," Jiyong commented and Sophia hummed in response.  Mesmerized, he watched the cloak of stress surrounding her fall and he felt a twinge of jealousy shoot through him when the lead singer began to massage the stiffness out of her shoulders.  He continued to watch her close her eyes, breathe in the music and relax with a soft sigh.  Jiyong followed her lead and did the same thing and allowed the music to wash over him.  He opened his eyes and found her staring at him.  Blushing a bright red and gave him a shy smile before going back to counting out the register.  Jiyong returned the smile and began sweeping again.  Ironic, he thought, much like the lyrics, he wondered if he could be everything she wanted.  As quickly as the thought entered his mind, Jiyong shook it out with a frown.

……..

The moment Jiyong opened the car door for Sophia; the sound of a piano playing from the sound system of his car welcomed her.  The singer's voice was light and airy.  It was a beautiful song and it soothed the nervousness she was feeling at that moment.  She had spent the entire morning thinking about Jiyong's hint about what he did for a living and she still couldn't figure it out.  She watched curiously as Jiyong ignored the group that was beginning to form outside the bookstore and ran around his car.  Sliding in, he gave her a stiff smile and Sophia frowned.  Looking through the tinted windows, she noticed Jieun staring out the store window with a look that appeared to be a mixture of confusion and interest.  Sophia's frown deepened as she turned to study Jiyong.  She couldn't shake the feeling that these people knew something about the man that she didn't.  She made a mental note to ask Jieun about Jiyong tomorrow once she got to work.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you that it's rude to stare?  I mean, I know I'm really nice to look at but you should at least make it a little less obvious."   Sophia scoffed and Jiyong grinned as he slowly merged in with the traffic. 

"You're ego is too much sometimes.  I wasn't staring.  I was going to tell you that you're late."

"It was the traffic."

"Sure, blame it on the traffic.  You're lucky I waited an extra two minutes or else I would've gone home," Sophia teased.

"I know where you live Cupcake," Jiyong replied and Sophia scowled.  She hated the nickname he had christened her with from the night before when he had taken her home after she had fed him another one of Jieun's sugary concoctions.  Jiyong on the other hand thought it was quite fitting since she seemed to constantly shove sweets his way.  He also enjoyed the way it riled her up.  He liked the way she furrowed her brows and glared at him and he chuckled at her fury.  He watched her attempt to control her frustration and conceal it with a fake smile.  "How was your day?"

"It was good.  Not too busy."  Jiyong nodded in response and Sophia stared out the window, listening to the song.  "This is a nice song."

"It's one of my favorite songs by an indie rock band called Nell."

"I've never heard of them but then again I don't know the names of the singers."

"Do you have any favorites?"

"Korean or American?"

"Either, or.  It doesn't matter."

"For American, I can listen to just about anything.  As for Korean music, like I said before I don't know much about any of it.  I usually let Jieun or one of the other workers pick out the music that plays in the bookstore.  When I'm closing up, I tend to play the music on my iPod."  Sophia trailed off and shrugged her shoulders.  "Music and books are my saving grace.  You can say it's my escape from reality.  So I'll listen to just about anything."

"I completely understand what you mean about music.  Books on the other hand," Jiyong trailed off and Sophia grinned.  He turned to face her and matched her grin and shrugged.  "I've never been big on books but music - music is my life.  Speaking of music, I can switch over to a different station or you can hook up your iPod."

"That's not necessary.  I listen to anything.  Anyways, it's your car.  There's a rule out there that says the driver controls the radio."

"I've never heard of that rule.  You're lying."

"I'm not.  I'm pretty sure it goes something like, 'If you have the keys, you control all the buttons in the car' and I already told you I'm open to anything."  Sophia watched as the pink haired man threw his head back and laughed.  "Anyways, how was your day?"

"It's been busy.  I was up early."

"Up early doing what?"  Sophia had tried to act nonchalant when asking the question but to her surprise, Jiyong faced her and gave her a knowing smile.  He shook his head and wiggled a finger at her.  "What?"

"Good try but you're not getting any information out of me.  I want you surprised."

"I hate surprises."

"That makes it even better.  Have you figured out what I do yet?"

"No," Sophia responded with a scowl.  "But, to be quite honest, your hint didn't help much either nor was it any good.  Why do you look so excited?"

"Because I'm imagining the look on your face and my hint was great."

"I'm sure you're just lying about what you do.  You're just hyping it up.  You probably push paper around behind a desk at one of the big corporations in town."  Jiyong didn't reply.  Much to Sophia's irritation, he started laughing.

"Trust me when I say that I don't push paper around at one of the big corporations in town and if you were listening to what I was saying earlier.  I gave you another hint about what I do." 

Sophia stopped frowning and concentrated on remembering their conversation.  Nothing popped out to her and she scowled at a very elated and smug Jiyong.  He didn't offer another hint and she didn't bother to ask.  Both were lost in their own world.  She let herself get lost in watching the passing scenery and the quiet music flowing through the stereo of the car.

Inhaling deeply, Jiyong gripped the steering wheel and fought the overwhelming urge to close his eyes and revel in the soft scent wafting around his car.  It was subtle and had the windows been open, he was positive he wouldn't have noticed.  He was grateful it was winter and freezing outside because he loved the sweet gentle floral smell that belonged to her.  The scent was welcoming, comforting and it made him feel safe.  Glancing over, he noticed that her head was resting against the window pane - exposing a bit of her neck.  Jiyong stiffened as his body came alive.  He could feel his pulse speed up and he felt like a hormone driven teenager again.  He cursed himself for wanting nothing more than to bury his nose into her soft skin and drown in her scent.  " Jiyong.  Get a hold of yourself."

"What'd you say?"  Sitting up, Sophia knit her brows and cocked her head at Jiyong.  He had gone from being completely relaxed to stiff as a board in a matter of seconds.  His knuckles were white, his jaw was clenched tight and he wouldn't look at her.  Tension was radiating off of him and to her surprise, he stiffened even more after she spoke.

"I said we're almost there."  She narrowed her eyes at him and he cleared his throat nervously.

"Are we?"

"We'll be there in a few more minutes.  Ready to be surprised?"  He gave her a stiff smile.  "Are you nervous?"

"Pssh, you're the one that looks nervous."

"Me?  I'm not nervous.  Why would you say that?"

"Everything you're doing is screaming it."

"What am I doing?"

"Well, you're the one strangling the steering wheel."  Jiyong automatically loosened his grip.  "And your jaw is clenched so tightly you're speaking through your teeth."

"See, not clenching teeth."  Sophia pressed her lips together to stop from laughing as Jiyong opened his mouth and enunciated every word with a forced smile.  "Better?"

"Sure."  Sophia shrugged her shoulders and returned to staring out the window.  "You're sure acting weird," she muttered underneath her breath.

"Huh?  What'd you say?"

"I said that I can't wait to see the desk where you push papers around."  She heard him chuckle and swiveled in her seat to see him grinning at her.  "What?"

"Do I look like someone who sits at a desk all day and has the boring job of pushing paper around?  If you haven't noticed already, I'm not exactly dressed to work in an office."  For the first time since climbing in to his car, she noticed the plain white t-shirt, grey leather jacket and jeans he was sporting. 

"Who knows - maybe it's casual Tuesday or something at where you work."  Jiyong scoffed and shook his head.  Sophia knew she was grasping at straws.  She had to be honest with herself and admit that he didn't look like someone who would enjoy sitting behind a desk but then again she really didn't know much about him.

"I wear what I want where I work and if you look up ahead.  You can see the building." 

Sophia stared out the window at where he was pointing.  It was oddly shaped and yet beautiful.  The peculiar shape of the building made it stick out among the unoriginal and plain buildings surrounding it.  It wasn't the largest building on the street but it was the only one that left her speechless.  It was architecturally pleasing to the eye with each curve.  Sophia shifted in her seat nervously and peered up at the looming building as the car slowed down and turned into the drive way. 

"Are you ready to be shocked?"  Shocked?  She was already too stunned to say anything.  So she nodded in response and continued to stare up at what she could see of the building.  Stepping out of the car, she became aware of the biting cold and the sound of screaming girls.  Wrapping her coat tighter around herself, Sophia began looking for the source of the noise and noticed the small group of girls standing on the curb.

"Who are they and why are they screaming?  Aren't they cold?"

"Fans and I'm sure they've noticed the temperature."

"Fans?"

"You really don't have any idea where you are, do you?"  Placing a gentle hand on the small of her back, he urged her towards a set of doors before stopping in front of an extravagant computer set up.  "Or who I am."

"Do you think I'd be asking you if I knew?  Why do you looking like a cat that swallowed the canary?" 

"Because I'm on my way to winning this bet.  I'm going to enjoy proving to you that your opinion of me is completely wrong.  First thing is to prove that I'm not what - what did you say?  Oh, I know.  A trust fund baby.  I hope you have an idea of what you want to do on our first date."

"We'll see about that."  Sophia silently read the printing on the door.  "YG Entertainment?  You work for an entertainment company?"  That explained the group of girls.  They were probably waiting for a celebrity to pass by, Sophia concluded with a satisfied humph.  "You work with celebrities?"

"A few.  Mostly Idols."  Jiyong answered nonchalantly.  She watched as the expensive contraption by the door beeped and the glass doors slid open.  She let Jiyong usher her into the building quickly until they were standing in front of elevator doors.  "Where are we going?  Is it okay that I'm here?"

"You sure ask a lot of questions.  Third Floor and yes, it's fine that you're here.  There are a few people who can't wait to meet you."

"Excuse me for being curious but you really haven't told me much except for that poor excuse you called a hint.  And what do you mean there are a few people who can't wait to meet me?  You've talked about me?  Do they know about the bet?  About my circumstances?"

"If I told you then it wouldn't be a surprise.  Yes, I've told people about you and no they don't know about the bet nor do they need to know about it."  Sophia relaxed as the elevator doors slid open.  Once again, Jiyong's hand found itself to the small of her back as they both stepped in.  She looked around while Jiyong punched the button with the number three on it. 

"You work in a recording studio?"

"I should've had you walk up the stairs," Jiyong muttered with regret.  "Do me a favor and quit reading all the signs."

"Why?"

"Because you're ruining my surprise."

"That's your fault."  Sophia felt like celebrating.  "So tell me, are you a producer?"

"Sometimes.  Stop asking questions Cupcake and let me surprise you."

"I hate that nickname."

"I know and it only makes me like it even more."

"I was going to apologize but I don't think I will anymore."

"You don't have to.  Just start thinking about what you want to do for our first date."

"You're too sure of yourself, Kwon Jiyong."

"I wouldn't be where I am now and doing what I love if I wasn't sure of myself," Jiyong whispered to her as the elevator doors slid open.  He stuck his foot in the doorway of the elevator and stopped Sophia from stepping out with a gentle tug of her shoulder.  Startled, she looked up at him and he shook his head.  Jiyong bent his head until his lips where directly next to her ear.  Sophia stilled.  She could feel the warmth of his breath.

"What?"

"I really like it when you say my name," he whispered quietly.  His voice caressed her senses and he felt a shiver run through her.  Jiyong smiled.  "Come on, we can't keep the guys waiting."

"G-guys?  How many guys?"

"Two or three.  Nervous?" 

"I'm not good with huge groups.  Two or three is good," Sophia replied shyly before studying her surroundings with interest.  "You guys have a pool table?"

"Yeah, it's nice break sometimes.  You play?"

"I'm not the greatest player but yeah, I play."  Jiyong tucked that information in the back of his mind and smiled.  He watched her study the glowing LED walls.  "What are those?"

"Names of some of the greatest songs that have been produced under YG."

"Are some of these yours?"

"A few."

"I really hate how evasive you are being."

"I like how it's frustrating you.  When you get angry, your eyes darken.  It's y."  Sophia rolled her eyes and ignored him.

"Where to now?"

"Down this hall."  Jiyong led the way down the narrow hallway.  She took the time to admire the way he sauntered.  Too busy studying the skinnier man, she didn't notice he had stopped and collided into the back that she had just been admiring.  He looked back and grinned.  "If you wanted to touch me all you had to do was tell me."

"Pssh, I wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole."

"Liar."  Sophia scoffed and much to her irritation, she watched his grin grow.  "Are you ready?"

"You know Jiyong, there's no need for you to keep dragging this out.  I already know what you do."

"That's where you're wrong.  You only know a part of what I do.  This is my second home."  Jiyong shoved the glass door open and music welcomed Sophia.  She didn't hear much considering that once the door opened, the music stopped completely but from what she heard, it appeared to be a catchy tune. 

"Took you long enough, Jiyong."  A deep voice rang out from somewhere in the room.  "Where is this girl you've been talking about for the past week?"  The question caused Sophia to arch an eyebrow. 

"He probably scared her off.  Looks like you're going to be buying dinner Teddy."  Another voice piped up.

"Shut up hyung.  She's here," Jiyong grunted in response.  Jiyong stepped into the room and held the door open.  Nervously, she inched forward and peered into the room.  She was met with seven pairs of eyes.

"You can come in.  They won't bite."  She took a deep breath and stepped into the room.  Jiyong closed the door behind her and gently grasped her elbow.  She inched closer to him.  She could feel the seven men in the room study her intently.  She felt like she was on display.  She didn't like it.  She weaved her fingers together and looked down at them.  Jiyong had never seen her like this.  It made him feel uncomfortable.  He looked around and remembered her comment from earlier.   I hate huge groups.  ".  I'm sorry.  I only told Teddy," he whispered while tugging her closer to him.

"It's ok."  She looked up and met his gaze.  She may have disliked feeling like she was on display but she hated seeing the concern in his eyes.  Straightening up, she pushed back her shoulders and scowled.  "I'm sorry.  If I had known there was going to be a welcoming party, I would've put more effort in my appearance but sadly, this guy didn't bother to tell me anything." She glared at Jiyong and imagined strangling the pink haired man.  She heard someone laughing.  She looked up to find the source and found herself looking at a friendly looking man wearing a leather jacket, hoodie and jeans. 

"She's got sass.  I like her Jiyong," the man stated with a grin.  She watched the hooded figure stand up and extended his hand.  "And because Jiyong is being rude.  I'll introduce myself.  I'm Teddy."

"It's nice to meet you Teddy.  I'm Sophia."

"Trust me when I say it's my pleasure."  Teddy winked and she watched his grin deepen when Jiyong groaned.  It was getting warm in the room and she shed her coat and scarf.  She was about to drape it over her arm but to her surprise, Jiyong took them from her and laid it across the arm of a padded chair.  She waited for Jiyong to introduce her to the other six but to her surprise, he began asking Teddy about some track.  She assumed it was the one that had been playing earlier.  She poked his side.  Hard.

"What?"

"Are you going to introduce the others to me?" she hissed quietly.

"Oh."  The soft whisper only made her even more irritated.  Wrapping his arm around her waist, she frowned at the warmth spreading through her body.  She trembled.  She ignored it.  "This is Sophia.  You've already met Teddy.  The guy next to him is Choice37."  She glanced at the man sitting beside Teddy.  He gave her a smile.  She reciprocated with a shy smile of her own before looking at where Jiyong was pointing.  The man he was pointing at was extremely good looking but hid behind a pair of dark sunglasses.  "The one sitting in front of the computer over there is Choi Seunghyun."

"You can call me TOP."  His voice was deep, his smile was golden and when he removed his sunglasses, Sophia couldn't help but admire his beautiful dark eyes.  "It's nice to meet you."

"Next to him is Kang Daesung."  Jiyong tightened his grip around her waist and frowned.  He didn't like the small sigh that had escaped from her when she saw Seunghyun.  He was used to girls swooning for the oldest but hearing the sigh only irritated him.  Jiyong didn't like the feeling it caused him to feel.

"Hello."  Sophia studied the blonde haired man sitting beside TOP.  His smile was full of warmth and she watched his eyes disappear.

"Hi," she replied shyly.

"That over there on the couch is Lee Seunghyun but you can call him Seungri."  Sophia watched the baby faced boy smile impishly at her.

"I'm the maknae.  How old are you?"  He was rather forward as well.  Sophia decided that she liked him.

"Twenty four."

"So you're my noona.  I like noonas."  Apparently he's a flirt as well, she thought.

"Seungri," Jiyong warned.  The maknae grinned and winked at her.  She bit her bottom lip to stop from smiling and Jiyong glared.  "The guy next to him is Kim Byunghoon but he's known as E.Knock or Kush."

"Kush?  Like cannabis, Kush?"  The man began laughing.  Teddy and Choice joined in.  She flushed embarrassingly. 

"I like her Jiyong," Kush stated.  Jiyong only grunted in response.

"This, Cupcake, is Dong Youngbae.  We've pretty much grown up together."  Sophia frowned when he used her nickname but turned her attention to the last man in the room.  He smiled and she watched his eyes also disappear.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Dong Youngbae," she greeted.  To her surprise, he scooted over and offered her a seat beside him.  She accepted with a thankful smile and sat down beside him.  Everyone had gone back to their own things.  Jiyong made his way to Teddy and Choice as the music began playing once again. 

"You can call me Youngbae.  So you're the girl who's got Jiyong daydreaming instead of working," he teased and Sophia scoffed.  Youngbae arched an eyebrow questioningly.

"I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to offend but I think you've got the wrong girl.  I'm sure it's an easy mistake considering that he has many females who love him."

"Yes.  Jiyong does have a lot of female admirers.  Although people love him for what he is.  Not who he is."

"Fans?  Jiyong has fans?"  Sophia frowned and began studying the back of Jiyong.

"Yes he does.  A lot of fans."

"Are you guys all producers?"  Her question caused Youngbae to knit his eyebrows together and frown.

"Technically, we all dabble in producing since we like to compose and write our songs."

"Your songs?"

"Yes, well actually Jiyong does most of the producing for our albums."  Youngbae studied Sophia.  He could see why Jiyong was so taken with her.  She was pretty and unique.  She wasn't anything like the girls that Jiyong usually was interested with.  What he couldn't understand was the curious look she was giving him or why she was repeating his words.

"Can I ask you something Youngbae and you won't be as evasive as Jiyong?"

"Jiyong?  Evasive?"  He arched an eyebrow towards her and she nodded.  "Of course.  What's your question?"

"What did you mean when you said people love Jiyong for what he is and not for who he is?"

"Well as the famous leader of Big Bang.  Many fans fall in love with the person they think he is without really getting to know him.  They love G-Dragon and not Kwon Jiyong.  They fail to realize that they are two different people.  They're interested in him because of his fame and who they've painted him out to be.  People rarely ever take the time to see past the facade and get to know the real man behind it.  He may come off confident and at times cold, cocky even but if you make the effort to see past it all, you'd come see that he's rather caring and soft unlike the persona that he paints.  People often can't see that although we're Idols, we're also human beings and as human beings but we're all bound to make mistakes."

Sophia didn't respond.  She listened to Jiyong's oldest friend and remembered previous conversations.  She looked around and watched all the pieces fall together.  I'm everywhere.  Music is my life.  Mostly Idols.  She recalled the group that had begun to form outside the bookstore and how easy it was for him to ignore them.  She also remembered the group of girls that had been outside the building and how nonchalant he had been.  "Youngbae?"

"Hmmm?"

"How famous is this group?  Big Bang?"  Big Bang.  She had recalled hearing Jieun talk about them but she didn't pay much attention to her.  She now wishes she had. 

"I'd say we're pretty famous but then my opinion is pretty biased considering I'm a part of the group."  You don't know where you are, do you?  Or who I am.

"Are all of you in this group?"

"No.  Teddy was in a group that debuted a while back called 1Tym.  Kush was part of a duo called Stony Skunk.  Choice is a producer." 

"And Big Bang?"

"Big Bang is made up of me, TOP, Daesung, Seungri and Jiyong is the leader."   She had been completely fooled and Jiyong had kept her in the dark.  She had walked into the building with probably one of the most famous Idol leaders.  She felt like the biggest idiot that walked the Earth because she realized that she had been completely wrong about Jiyong.  "Are you okay?  You look sick."  She felt sick.

"I think I just need some fresh air.  I'm just going to step out."  Sophia quickly stepped out of the room before leaning up against the wall beside the door.  Bending over, she braced her hands onto her knees and took a few deep breaths.  The door beside her opened.  She could see a pair of expensive shoes.  She didn't need to look up to know who they belonged to.

"Hey, are you okay?"  It was soft and full of concern and it made her look up at him.  She met his worried gaze and it made her heart squeeze painfully.  He was truly a beautiful man.  And you want to get to know him even more.  Sophia paled at the thought.  "Youngbae said you didn't look to well.  Are you sick?"

"No.  I just needed to get some air.  I'm fine now.  I'm ready to go back in."  She forced a smile and Jiyong frowned.  He reached over and Sophia pulled back.  His frown deepened.  She didn't want him touching her.  She had begun to like his gentle touches and every time he touched her, she lost all train of thought.  She had to get a hold of herself.  If she wasn't careful, she'd fall for him and falling for him wasn't an option, especially if he only regarded her as a challenge.  She had to win this and save the bookstore.  "Youngbae told me what you do."

"Did he?  He ruined my surprise."

"How come you didn't tell me right away?  I feel like a fool.  You must think I'm so dumb and naive."

"You're wrong again.  I don't think you're dumb or naive.  I like that you didn't know who I was or what I do.  It's a breath of fresh air.  I could be myself around you.  I didn't have to be someone I'm not and I really like that but I also knew I had to tell you sooner than later because you would find out eventually.  I guess a part of me was scared that you were going to treat me differently after you found out.  I don't want you to.  I like the freedom I feel when I'm with you.  I like being around you.  You aren't too mad are you?"

Sophia knew she should be angry but she understood where he was coming from.  She hated to admit it but she liked being around him as well.  When she was with him, she didn't have to be someone she wasn't.  She didn't have to watch what she said in case she hurt their feelings.  She didn't have to be careful.  When she was around Jiyong, she could say anything she was thinking or feeling.  The great thing was as much she gave him, he gave it back to her and she liked that.  No, she wasn't too mad.  She gave him a devilish grin and shook her head.

"What?"

"No, I'm not too mad but you can trust me that I will get my revenge.  I hope you like surprises."

"Not really," he replied dryly.

"Good."  Sophia grinned.

……..

"Go ahead and ask your question Jieun," Sophia instructed with a bored look.  She knew that the young girl had been dying to ask her about Jiyong since the day had begun.  The sooner Jieun asked, the sooner she'd get back to work.  Sophia checked the time and almost sighed out loud.  She didn't like working half days but she had agreed to give Jiyong her afternoons and she had thirty minutes left of work.  In her opinion, the day was going way too slow.  You could always call it a day and leave.  The thought crossed her mind and she scowled.  Shaking her head, she stared at the pretty girl standing next to her.  "Well, go ahead and ask your question."

"How do you know Kwon Jiyong from Big Bang?"  Sophia had to stop herself from laughing as the question rushed out of her employee's mouth.

"We're just friends."

"Friends?  How did you meet him?  Oh, he's so bea-u-ti-ful."

"He showed up here on a Sunday night.  We started talking.  He's a nice guy.  I didn't even know who he was until yesterday.  Is he beautiful?  I didn't even notice."  Liar.  Sophia had definitely noticed how amazingly beautiful he was but she wasn't about to admit it.

"How could you not notice?  Have you met the other guys?  Is TOP as gorgeous in real life?  Are any of them in a relationship?  How is Daesung doing?  What about Seungri?  Is he enjoying Japan?  Is Youngbae's single coming out anytime soon?  Are they going to come here?  How is -"

"Jieun-ah," Sophia exclaimed loudly.  It startled the young girl.  "Breathe.  Slowly."

"But I have so many questions."

"I understand that but you need air too.  I'm going to try and answer some of your questions but to be honest with you Jieun.  I've only met Jiyong recently.  Alright?"

"Ok."

"Now breath," she instructed and watched Jieun take small shallow breaths.  "I just met the other guys yesterday along with Kush, Teddy and Choice37."

"You met them too?  You're so lucky.  Is Teddy w-" Sophia held up her hand and shook her head.  Jieun stopped talking immediately. 

"Yes TOP is very good looking.  I don't know anything about their personal lives and even if I did, Jieun, I would not share it.  They may be celebrities but they are also human beings and their private lives should be respected.  Daesung is a sweetheart and he appeared to be doing fine.  I didn't even know that Seungri was in Japan.  I also have no idea about Youngbae and a single.  I also have no idea if they will come here and if they did, I wouldn't want it to be public knowledge.  They deserve to have some space.  As for Teddy, Choice and Kush.  They seemed to be very nice people.  Funny too."

"I'm so jealous of you."

"There's no need for you to be.  They're just regular people who just happen to be in the spotlight."

"But you got to hang out with Big Bang.  Big Bang."  Jieun sighed dramatically and Sophia shook her head.

"No more questions about them ok?"

"One more?  Please?"

"Fine, but then no more, alright?"

"Okay."

"What is your question?"

"Are you going to see them again?  I mean like hang out with them?"

"I'm not sure," Sophia felt bad for lying but she really didn't like the prying. 

"Oh."  Her young employee sounded so disappointed and Sophia felt even more horrible but technically, she wasn't lying, she reasoned.  She wasn't sure when or if she was going to see the group collectively again and Jieun had asked about them as a whole not Jiyong. 

"I think I'm going to call it a day, Jieun.  You'll be fine closing today?"  Quickly she untied her apron and smiled as the worker encouraged her to leave early.  It had been a slow day and Jieun had mentioned something about baking another batch of sweets.  Sophia nodded and bid her goodbye before sneaking out the front door with a smile.  She waited until she was a couple of blocks away from the bookstore to take her phone out of her purse and call Jiyong.  She grinned happily while she listened to the line ring.

"Hello Cupcake.  How are you doing?"  He sounded as if he had been sleeping and she felt bad for interrupting his sleep.

"I'm good.  Were you sleeping?  I'm sorry."

"I'm awake now.  I had my alarm set to wake me up soon anyways.  What are you doing?"

"I just left the bookstore and I'm on my way home.  I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to pick me up."

"Are you walking?"

"How else do you expect me to get home?  Fly?"

"It's freezing outside," she heard him exclaim.  He sounded frustrated.

"And your point is what Jiyong?  If you've forgotten, I walk to and from the bookstore all the time.  It's nothing."

"You should've stayed at the store."

"Well I'm on my way home now so there's nothing you can do about it.  Anyways, I was also calling because I wanted to know what you have planned for today."  Sophia was met with silence from his end.  She waited a few minutes and still got nothing.  "You had nothing planned did you?"

"No."  The answer was short and simple.  He sounded so guilty.  It made Sophia laugh.

"You pretty much demanded that I give you my afternoons and you have nothing planned for me?  You should be ashamed," she teased.  "Luckily for you, I was thinking about maybe a quiet night tonight.  How about I cook for you?"

"Do you know how to cook?"

"I'm offended with your question.  As a matter of fact I do know how to cook.  American food that is.  I'm not so great with Korean dishes.  Do you know how to cook?"

"No."  Sophia laughed again.

"So how does that sound?  A quiet night at my apartment?"

"That sounds fantastic.  When should I come over?"

"How about in two hours?  I need to stop at a grocery store and pick some things up.  I'll leave the door unlocked.  Just give me a call when you're on your way?"

"Okay, I'll call and Sophia?"

"Yes, Jiyong?"

"I really don't like you walking home in the cold.  I don't know if you've noticed but it's winter outside.  I really wish you had called me before you left."  Before she could respond, she heard the dial tone indicating that he had hung up.  His concern for her should've angered her but all it did was leave her feeling warm inside.  Sophia scowled.  She didn't like how he was beginning to make her feel.  She didn't like it at all.

……..

The sound of a piano playing softly began to flow from the stereo and waft through her tiny one bedroom apartment as Sophia made her way around the kitchen.  She smiled at the familiar tune.  It was a song she had grown to love.  It was simple and beautiful.  Nothing too extravagant.   Sophia closed her eyes and let the sound of the piano and baby saxophone caress and wash over her while the female singer's voice weaved a magic spell around her.  Like smoke, it curled its way through the kitchen, wrapping Sophia up with soothing Scottish Gaelic.  It drowned all of her senses and she welcomed it.  Although Sophia couldn't understand a word of it, she loved the comfort it brought her.    It brought her peace. 

Mi le m'uilinn air mo ghluin.  'Smuladach mi deanamh dain.  Shil mo shuil nuair chaidh siuil.  Ri croinn-ura chaol ard.  Righ, 'smo run-sa nam bard.

That's how Jiyong found her.  Eyes closed, standing in the middle of her kitchen and soaking in the music.  He could hear the sound of a baby sax whine from outside the building.  He knew it was coming from her apartment.  He had silently walked into her apartment and toed off his shoes.  He drank up the sight before him.  Her hair was piled atop of her head in a messy bun; underneath a tattered apron, she was wearing a plain black long sleeve cotton shirt and faded jeans.  She stole the breath from his lungs and he swore she was the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. 

And the truth hit him head on.  He didn't care anything about winning, losing or proving Sophia wrong.  The only thing he wanted was Sophia herself. 

Jiyong was in love.


Clearly the story has wandered off on its own and I don't know when I'm going to finish it.  I really hope you enjoyed it.  I'd love to giva a thanks to lilsmilez217 for being there to read the little tidbits while I write and for dealing with me and my writer's block.  You are truly a blessing.  You guys should head on over to her stories and read them.  I'd also like to say thank you to all my subscribers.  You guys are the best.

If you're interested in the music I've weaved into this chapter:

Dishwalla - Every Little Thing
Nell - Getting Further
Karen Matheson - Mi Le M'uilinn