Between The Bookends Bookstore and Cafe

A Taste Of Love

With a frustrated sigh, Sophia chewed on the end of her pen and focused on the paper sitting in front of her.  Who knew making a list of what to get her employees for Christmas would be such a difficult task?  Had she have known it would be this hard three hours ago - she would have never started it in the first place.  Scowling, she stopped to look around the empty store and checked the time once more.  It was quarter after eight in the evening and she still had another hour and forty five minutes to go before closing up.  Sunday evenings at the Between the Bookends Bookstore and Cafe was usually quiet.  It had taken a while but she was finally getting used to it and she had found that she was beginning to look forward to having Sunday nights alone.

Although the music playing through the sound system accompanied her - tonight the loneliness in the tiny store was suffocating her.  It seemed to have a grasp around her slender neck and slowly was squeezing the life out of her.  Anxiously she rolled her shoulders, stood up and stretched.  Wanting to change the atmosphere before she began to doubt her choices, she made her way to the stereo with the intention of changing the music to something she was more comfortable with and could easily understand unlike the current music playing - not that she didn't mind what her employees chose to play.  But tonight she needed something familiar.  Something that would soothe her restless heart and take away the loneliness she felt. 

"Only you would move to a completely different country to discover yourself Soph," she scolds herself with a shake of her head.  At twenty four, Sophia was surviving to the best of her abilities in Seoul and she couldn't complain - there was no turning back when she was searching for something although she particularly didn't know what she was looking for.  She only knew she wanted to find the piece of her that was missing and when she heard that her Uncle on her mother's side had passed away - leaving behind a tiny bookstore.  Something told her that maybe she would find what was missing. 

Twenty four hours after Steven, her father's best friend and trusted business associate, had finally convinced her father that the move to Seoul would be beneficial to her - Sophia was on a plane to the foreign land that she only heard about from her mother.  Everything was far from perfect unlike the picture she had painted in her mind.  She should have known by the welcoming she had gotten the day she walked into the tiny shop.  Instead of the warm welcoming she had imagined she'd get - she got the cold shoulder from most of the employees and it was even more disappointing to see majority of them quit after a week of working under her.

Finding new workers with her limited Korean was also difficult but she was lucky enough to find a few employees she could trust.  One would think that after living in Seoul for a little more than a year, Sophia would have a better grasp on the Korean language.  Her ability to understand and speak the language was above mediocre but learning it had never been one of Sophia's stronger suits even when her mother had attempted to teach her before passing away unexpectedly.  Sophia smiled sadly at the thought of her mother and she regret that she hadn't tried harder to learn it when her mother was alive.  It would be ten years next May since her mother's passing but the pain of losing her never faded and Sophia missed her every day.  Frowning, Sophia gave herself a mental shake and pulled herself out of the vat of pity she often fell in when it came to thinking about her mother.

After fiddling around with the stereo and connecting her trusty iPod, Sophia closed her eyes.  She welcomes the sound of a guitar playing a familiar melody.  It's heavenly, listening to the smooth voice of the lead singer and she begins to sing along after a while.  Find me, here in your arms.  Now I'm wondering where you've always been, and blindly, I came to you.  Knowing you'd breathe new life from within.

Returning back to the counter where her Christmas list was laying, she hummed along with the music and felt a sense of calm replace the anxiety that had been coursing through her before.  Staring down at the piece of paper, Sophia pursed her lips and tapped the pen onto the counter while studying the list.

"Kim Jieun-ah," she complained before placing her chin onto her waiting palm.  "What do you want for Christmas?"  Knowing full well that she was alone and she wasn't going to get an answer from her employee, she placed her head onto the cold counter and groaned.  "I give up," she continued to whine.  "I'm just giving everyone money for Christmas.  Everyone should be happy with -"

Too lost in her own frustration, Sophia had not heard the door open or the soft footsteps approaching her. It wasn't until she felt someone gave her shoulder a hard nudge that she looked up and jumped in surprise at the sight of a man covered in snow standing in front of her.  She silently watched as the man took off the cap that shaded his entire face - exposing a head full of pink hair.  Sophia continued to watch as he dusted the fluffy snow off of him before looking back up.  Much to her surprise she's met with warm brown eyes that twinkled with amusement.  They were welcoming and soothing - much like a mug of hot chocolate on a cold snowy day or curling up in front of the fire place with a good book.  Looking down, she mentally traced the slope of his nose down to beautiful pink lips.  She studied his lips for a second before realizing that they were smirking.  Shaking her head, Sophia tried to clear her mind and attempt to smile away the embarrassment she felt for being caught staring.

"Can I help you?" She asked shakily and received a nod in reply.  "You can have a seat anywhere." 

The silent man only nodded again and she watched him walk away.  He wasn't all that tall but then again he wasn't short either - possibly five ten.  He was slender and he moved through the aisles with ease before sitting at one of the smaller tables in the back - choosing the chair that faced counter.  Sophia bent down to grab a menu from underneath the counter and stood back up.  Glancing over to the skinny man, she blushed brightly when she found him staring at her.  The man with the pink hair had stripped off his expensive looking coat and was now lounged back lazily with an arm draped around the seat beside him and legs spread.  The look on his face was unreadable but her blood began to boil as she caught him eye her up and down like a piece of meat on display as she made her way towards him.  Angrily, Sophia pressed the menu onto the table and began to walk away only to be stopped as the man cleared his throat.  Turning back around, she fished out her notepad and pen from the half apron around her waist.

"What can I get for you?" she asked with a forced cheerfulness and a glare - in which she received an arched eyebrow.

"A hot cup of Americano," the man replied and his voice made her forget about the anger she was feeling and left her tingling.

"Is that all?" she questioned - pen poised to write more.

"For now," he answered slowly before looking her up and down once again.  There was a smug smirk on his lips and the fury she had felt earlier returned.  Sophia fought back the urge to give him a piece of her mind and whirled around.  It only frustrated her more as his chuckle followed her while every hair on her body stood straight - alerting her that he was watching her every move.

"Creep," she muttered loudly in English.  Before Sophia could begin to make the requested drink, the door to the shop opened.  The cold winter air breezed in along with a beautiful girl draped in luxurious clothing.  Sophia had no chance of welcoming her as the girl walked past her and towards the pink haired man.

"A Carmel Macchiato," was all she said and Sophia rolled her eyes at her high pitched whine.  Sophia was more than happy to see the girl pick the chair across from the pink haired man after placing a loud kiss on the man's lips.  Ah, so Mr. Handsome has a girlfriend.  "Jiyong, I've missed you baby."

Jiyong.  So that's what his name is, Sophia thought.  She silently tested the name and she liked how it rolled off her tongue.  It was smooth and silky.  It fitted the pink haired man perfectly.

"Eun Jung," Jiyong greeted with a tip of his head and a lazy smile and Sophia frowned at the back of the gorgeous girl's head.  Eun Jung.  Sounded snotty and it matched her.  "It's been a while sweetheart."

"It's been more than a while Jiyong," Eun Jung complained before reaching over to grab a hold of Jiyong's hand.  For a reason unknown to her - Sophia scowled when she spied Jiyong lacing his fingers with his own before placing a soft kiss on the back of her hand.  Turning back towards the counter, Sophia ignored the conversation going on and finished up with preparing the ordered drinks.  The hair on the back of her neck stood up and Sophia stilled as she sensed his eyes on her.

Forcing a smile, she picked up the tray holding the drinks and maneuvered her way towards the table.  Looking up from the tray, she found a pair of deep brown eyes watching her still.  They sparkled mischievously along with the smirk sitting on his face.  He looked bored and uninterested in whatever the pretty girl across from him was saying.

"A caramel macchiato for you ma'am and a strong hot cup of Americano for you sir," Sophia stated politely.  "If you'd like anything else.  Please let me know."

"Oh I definitely will," Jiyong replied sensually and Sophia flushed until she realized that Eun Jung was glaring at her.

"We'll call for you if we need anything," the pretty girl coldly answered.  Rolling her eyes once more, Sophia turned away and returned to the counter.  She checked the time and sighed.  She had another half an hour to go before closing up.  Forgetting about the two, Sophia returned to her list of employees and stared at them.  With knitted eyebrows and pursed lips, she rested her chin against an open palm and picked up the pen - ready to face the list once more.

"Kim Jieun.  Kim Jieun.  What do you want for Christmas?" Sophia whispered to herself over and over.  Tapping the end of the pen up against her lips, she smiled as an idea popped into her mind.  "I know.  I'll get you a gift certificate from that one spa you've wanted to go to."  Completely ecstatic that she had finally figured out what to get for Jieun, she grinned happily and looked up only to gasp.  Much to her surprise, she found herself staring into Jiyong's brown eyes.  He was far more amused with Sophia than with the girl sitting with him.  He matched her grin and stared at her.  Quickly, Sophia looked away only to glance back and found him to be even more amused with her.  This time, she read the challenge in his eyes and Sophia was never one to back down from a challenge.  Instead of looking away, she cocked an eyebrow and continued on staring back at the man lounging back lazily.

"Jiyong-ah," exclaimed Eun Jung.  The shrill cry jerked both Jiyong and Sophia out of the staring game - both directed their gaze at the girl demanding attention.  "Are you listening to me?  What are you staring at?"  Whipping around, Eun Jung found the object of Jiyong's attention.  Embarrassed that she had been caught, Sophia sheepishly bit her bottom lip and looked back down at the paper in front of her.  "Ah I see.  You're amused with the honhyol."

Honhyol.  Sophia's blood chilled at the word.  Although the word had lost most of the derogatory meaning now that society was more accepting with children of mixed races - the way the girl said it dripped with hatred.  Sophia knew that Eun Jung had meant it to hurt her and she had succeeded.  It was a reminder that she was of mixed blood and that some weren't too welcoming to people like her.  It was a reminder that she would never truly fit in or be considered as Korean because the blood of her White father flowed through her veins.  Like in America - she would never fit in.  The threat of tears burned the back of her eyes but she refused to allow them to see her weakness.

"Eun Jung," snapped the pink haired man.  Sophia jumped at the venom in the man's voice and watched as Jiyong pulled out his wallet and drew out a few bills.  Shoving his arms into the coat, Jiyong angrily grabbed a hold of his partner and yanked her up into a standing position.  He ignored all her protests and waited for Eun Jung to put on her own coat before pushing her down the aisle and out the door.  Neither of them gave as much as a glance back at Sophia and she was glad they didn't.  She watched the door close behind them and it was only then that she let her shoulders sag.

Sprinting around the counter, Sophia quickly locked the door and headed to the table where the used coffee mugs sat.  Next to the coffee mugs where two 50,000 won bills - far more than what both of their drinks cost and she knew what the money was for.  It was an apology for what his girlfriend had said.  Rather than feel content with it, anger surged through her at the cowardly way he had gone about it.  Typical rich people thinking they could justify their wrong doings with money.  Sophia bit back the urge to run out the door and throw the money at the smug man.  Instead, she picked up the money and wiped down the table while saying a grateful prayer for making it through another day.

……..

"Do it again," Jiyong demanded before letting go of the red button.  Lee Seunghyun also known as Seungri - the maknae - frowned.  "What?" Jiyong questioned angrily.

"What's wrong with it this time?"

"I said sing it again," he reiterated.  Leaning back into the cushioned chair, Jiyong closed his eyes and nodded along with the music.  He listened to the youngest sing through the chorus perfectly and he scowled in response.  With the music stopped, Jiyong knew everyone was waiting for the verdict.  Slowly, he sat up and hit the red button.  "It's fine.  Come out."

No one said anything as Seungri hung up the headphones and joined the other six men packed in the studio.  Three anxious eyes were focused on their leader in hopes that he would end their ten hour misery.  Jiyong was completely aware of them and he debated on whether to let them go or to continue on with the next song.

"Jiyong, just let them go," Teddy urged gruffly as he typed away.  Choice nodded in agreement while three of the four members held their breath.

"Fine, but I expect to see you guys here tomorrow at two.  Understand?"  Before Jiyong could finish, he was answered with the sound of rushing feet and the studio door being slammed shut.  "What the hell?"

"Seungri has a date in thirty minutes," Youngbae replied with a smug grin.

"And he swears that she's y," Choice piped in with a matching smile.

"Every female is y in Seungri's book," Jiyong muttered.  Once again, he leaned back in the chair and closed his eyes.  Instead of the darkness he had expected.  His mind brought forth the image of a pretty girl that had been haunting him for the past week.

She was beautiful with her light caramel colored skin, dark hair, and doe like eyes, small nose and kissable lips.  Jiyong knew the moment she looked up from her bent over position, that she was different.  Her eyes fascinated him.  She had looked so surprised to see him there and Jiyong had been delighted to see it in her eyes.  Hazel.  That was the color of her expressive eyes.  Jiyong had wanted nothing more than to drown in them.   The person who came up with the old saying that the eyes were the window to a person's soul wasn't lying.  Her eyes swam with emotions.  He particularly loved the way they darkened when she was furious but what drew him to her was the loneliness and sadness he saw in them.  He didn't know why but he wanted to comfort her.  He wondered how her eyes would look when she was laughing with happiness.  Did they sparkle and shine brightly?  Jiyong wanted to know and yet for the first time in a long time.  He was too afraid to find out.

"Coward," he mumbled to himself.

"What did you say?" his best friend questioned, causing Jiyong to crack an eye open and groaned.  He had unintentionally gained the attention of the three men - each giving him a curious look.

"Nothing Youngbae-ah," Jiyong replied with a shake of his head.  He knew that no one in the room believed him.

"Ok Jiyong," Teddy stated slowly.

"Yes hyung?"

"What's wrong?  Want to talk about it?"

"There's nothing to talk about."  Jiyong crossed his arms stubbornly and busied himself with looking up at the ceiling.

"Liar," Choice added.  Teddy and Youngbae snickered while Jiyong sat up and glared at the three men.

"I said -"

"Yeah, yeah.  Nothing's wrong.  That's why you've been a jerk for the past week," Teddy interrupted.

"I haven't been jerk," Jiyong protested.

"Did I say jerk?  I'm sorry I meant jack .  I meant that you've been a jack all week," the older man corrected himself with a smug grin.

"Eun Jung," Youngbae whispered softly.  Teddy scowled, Choice gasped and Jiyong jerked at the name.

"Youngbae-ah," Teddy exclaimed.  "I told you to never say that evil name in my sacred studio."

"Yes Youngbae?  What about her?"  Jiyong asked - completely ignoring Teddy.

"Please don't tell me you're hung up on that - that thing." Youngbae made a disgusted face and Choice began laughing.

"She's more like an it if you ask me," Teddy stated and Jiyong rolled his eyes.

"Stop it you guys.  No, I'm not hung up on her."

"Good because she's a major ," Choice announced.

"Major."  Teddy added on while Youngbae nodded in agreement.  "I don't know what you saw in her Jiyong but I'm glad whatever you guys had is over."

"I know I've heard this already.  From everyone." 

"You know there's something wrong when everyone's congratulating you for breaking up with someone," Choice voiced and much to Jiyong's irritation - Teddy began to laugh hysterically.

"Why have you been so irritated lately?" Youngbae's voice was full of concern and Jiyong sighed.  There was a start of a headache so he rubbed his forehead gently.  The thought of going home was beginning to sound better and better but anything that would get him away from these three actually sounded good.

"I don't know Youngbae.  I haven't been able to get much sleep lately."  Jiyong hoped that his best friend would accept the lie.  Much to his dismay, Teddy called him out.

"Don't lie Jiyong.  You're used to the lack of sleep."  Jiyong rolled his eyes and groaned out loud.

"You guys aren't going to leave me alone are you?"

"Not until you tell us."  Teddy answered.

"You guys can't just let it go?"

"Nope," Choice stated simply and the other two shook their heads in unison while Jiyong made a mental note to make new friends.

"Fine," Jiyong shouted.

"Whoa there Jiyong.  There is no need to yell," Teddy said with a grin and Jiyong glowered.

"What's going on," Youngbae questioned.

"There's this girl."

"Already?  Didn't you just break up with one?" Choice in and Teddy smirked.

"Quit interrupting and let me explain," Jiyong demanded.  He ran an angry hand through his pink hair before shoving his beanie back onto his head.  He waited for another smart remark only to be greeted with complete silence.  It surprised him that the three men had nothing to say.  Arching an eyebrow he surveyed the three until Teddy spoke up.

"Well are you going to tell us or not?  What about this girl?"

"She works at that little run down bookstore by that new bath house that just opened up.  Oh what's it called?  Between the something and something."

"It's called Between the Bookends," Choice supplied.  Three pairs of surprised eyes turned to stare at the man.  "What?  They have a huge comic section."

"You and your comics," Teddy snickered.

"Nothing wrong with reading comics," Choice retorted.

"Anyways," interrupted Jiyong.  "I had Eun Jung -"

"Jiyong," Teddy warned heatedly.  "What did I say about saying that she-devil's name in here?"

"Hyung," Jiyong demanded angrily.  "If you guys keep interrupting me.  I'm not going to finish tell you guys."

"Fine.  Continue with your story," Teddy replied with a shrug of his shoulders.  Jiyong watched as the older man whisper loudly to Choice.  "Someone's got their in a bunch."

"Hyung.” Jiyong threatened and Teddy raised up both of his hands in defeat.

"I'm sorry.  Please go on."

"I had Eun Jung meet me there because I hadn't seen her in a while.  She kept complaining that we weren't spending enough time together but when she got there.  All she did was whine."

"That's what she does best," Youngbae interjected.

"Anyways, Eun Jung caught me staring at the girl working there and well all hell broke loose.  She ended up insulting the girl and called her a honhyol."

"A what?" Teddy shouted and Jiyong ignored the outburst.

"My first thought was getting Eun Jung out of there before she could say something else to insult the girl even more.  I never apologized.  And this girl, I see her everywhere even though I know she's not there.  It's like she's haunting me.  There's something about this girl.  She just looked so sad and I feel so guilty," Jiyong finished quietly.  He stared down at his fingers and shrugged - completely missing the looks that were being shared between Teddy, Choice and Youngbae.

"But you weren't the one to call her that," Youngbae corrected.

"But I didn't stop it and that's even worse.  I didn't make Eun Jung apologize.  You should've seen the look on this girl's face.  She was just so damn hurt," Jiyong clutched his heart achingly.  Teddy studied the younger man before arching an eyebrow at Choice.  "She probably thinks that I agree with Eun Jung."

"So why not make it up to her?" Teddy questioned.

"You expect me to go back there and just be nonchalant about it?" Jiyong scoffed with a shake of his head.

"Sounds like a good idea," Choice voiced and Youngbae nodded in agreement.

"I can't do that."

"Then don't," Teddy replied softly - drawing everyone's attention.  "Don't go in there acting like nothing's wrong.  Go in there and apologize.  I'm sure she'll accept it."

"I can't," Jiyong murmured.  "I just can't."

"Or you can," the older man argued and Jiyong shook his head.  "Why not then Jiyong?"

"Because," the pink haired boy stated before trailing off.  Jiyong didn't know how to explain his need to see the girl happy.  To make her smile with sincerity and not with the fake ones she had plastered on that night.  There was a need inside of him to heal her.  To wipe away the sadness from her eyes.  How was he supposed to explain to his friends that from the moment he saw her - he felt the need to comfort her. 

"Because why?" his best friend whispered.  Youngbae narrowed his eyes and studied Jiyong quietly.  He knew there was something more than what his best friend was sharing.  He wished that Jiyong would just come out with it but Youngbae also knew that Jiyong wasn't going to share until he was ready and he clearly wasn't ready.  He also knew that his best friend wasn't one to jump from one girl to another.  There was something more and it was bothering Jiyong enough to cause him to become unbearable to be around.  There was definitely something more to this.

"She won't believe me.  She'll more than likely just brush it off as an insincere apology," Jiyong replied with a shrug of his thin shoulders.

"Then make her believe it.  You know what they say.  Actions speak louder than words," Choice advised.  Jiyong tiredly rubbed his face and sighed.  He was tired of all the advice being given to him.  All he wanted to do was sleep.

"Alright, you guys," Jiyong stated.  "I'm done for the night.  I'm going home.  See you guys tomorrow."

Teddy, Choice and Youngbae watched quietly as Jiyong gathered his things.  No one said much to him except to bid him a goodbye and continued to study the skinny man until the door closed behind Jiyong.

"I've never seen him like this," Choice stated with a shake of his head before turning back around.

"Same here.  There's more to this."  Youngbae heard Teddy reply and all Youngbae could do was nod.  Yes there was definitely more to this.

……..

Jiyong stared up at the ceiling of his dark apartment.  Thoughts swirled throughout his mind and yet he thought of nothing but a pair of hauntingly sad eyes.  Groaning, he turned to his side and clutched to the extra pillow.  Burying his head deep into the soft pillow, he squeezed his eyes shut and pleaded for sleep to come and rid him of the images of the girl from the bookstore.  He couldn't stop thinking about her.

"Maybe they're right.  I should just go there and apologize.  If she accepts than she accepts.  If she doesn't than she doesn't," Jiyong muttered into the pillow.  "Either way, I apologized."

He was lying and he knew it.  If Jiyong knew one thing, the girl from the bookstore wouldn't just accept his apology.  He saw the fire in her eyes and he knew she was stubborn.  Smiling slightly, he recalled the look on her face when he had silently challenged her to the staring contest.  She was definitely bullheaded and probably very opinionated and Jiyong wanted to know that part of her.  He wanted to know more about her but he doubted he would ever be able to get to - especially with the way things had turned out.  Yes - Jiyong knew - the mysterious girl from the bookstore wasn't going to just accept his apology.

"Then make her believe it.  You know what they say.  Actions speak louder than words."

Choice's last words to him echoed in his mind and Jiyong sat up in bed.  Choice was right.  Jiyong was going to apologize and he was going to make sure that she believed him.  He'd find a way.  Reaching over, he felt for his phone in the dark and checked the time.  It was quarter to three in the morning but he didn't care.  Quickly, he scrolled through his contacts before stopping at his friend Song Kyungil's name.  He selected the name and listened as the call was connected - knowing full well that Kyungil was going to be irritated with him.

"Do you know what time it ing is Kwon Jiyong?" Jiyong flinched as the model screamed into his ear.

"I'm very well aware of the time Kyungil.  But I need you to do something for me.  It's important."

"It couldn't wait until the morning?" Kyungil snapped.

"Nope."

"What the hell is it?"

"I need you to get me some information on someone," Jiyong replied and he was met with complete silence.  Jiyong waited a few seconds and was about to repeat himself when his friend interrupted.

"Who?"

"This girl."

"Of course it's a female," he heard his good friend say sarcastically and Jiyong rolled his eyes.  "Didn't you just break up with Eun Jung?"

"You heard about that?"

"Who hasn't?" Kyungil replied.  "Now about this girl.  What's her name?"

"That's the thing.  I don't know her name," Jiyong stated and Kyungil swore.

"Then how do you expect me to get information on her?"

"All I know is that she works at the bookstore by the new bath house."

"Ah.  Between the Bookends.  They have an amazing selection of comics."

"That's what I hear," Jiyong replied dryly.  He made a mental note to check out the stash of comics.

"So which one is it?"

"She's the mixed one with the pretty eyes."

"Jiyong-ah," Kyungil hesitated and Jiyong knew that his friend had made the connection no one else seemed to be able to make.  "You don't want to go there.  It's been a long time Jiyong.  We were kids-"

"Just do it Kyungil."

"Ji-"

"Get me information on her.  That's all I'm asking.  Call me when you have something," Jiyong snapped before hanging up. 

……..

"What do you have Kyungil?"  Jiyong questioned while closing his apartment door.  Kyungil snickered at his impatient friend and silently shook his head.

"No hello, how have you been, long time no see?"  Kyungil smirked and Jiyong scowled.  "You look like hell Jiyong."

"You just woke me up."  Jiyong ran a hand through his disheveled hair and tugged at the wrinkled t-shirt he was currently wearing. 

"It's almost noon.  Might I remind you what time you woke me up this morning?"

"What do you have?" Jiyong snapped before grabbing the manila file in his friend's hands.  "There's nothing in here."

"I know that.  I just wanted to carry it for effect," the model replied.

"What the hell Kyungil.  Tell me what you have."

"Well aren't you just impatient.  Her name is Sophia Scott and she's been in Korea for almost a year now," Kyungil stated calmly.  "Twenty four years old and you were wrong.  She doesn't work at the bookstore.  She owns it.  Apparently the previous owner is her uncle on her mother's side and from what my source says - her uncle was up to his ears in debt and she inherited it all when she took over the business."

"So she's in debt?"

"In a mountain of debt and that she's barely making it.  Rumor is that she's a big .  She fired everyone who used to work for her uncle and hired brand new people."

"Is that all?"

"That's all I could get from my people.  I'll let you know if I get any other kind of information."

"You don't have to.  I got all the information I need."

"What are you planning on doing Jiyong?" Kyungil worried for Jiyong.  He knew that his friend still beat himself up for what happened when they were kids.  They had been young and dumb.  They hadn't known how badly words could hurt a person.  Kyungil knew that Jiyong had always blamed himself but he never knew that Jiyong's guilt ran that deep.  Following behind the pink hair boy, Kyungil didn't speak until he stepped through the door of the apartment.  "Jiyong-ah," Kyungil hesitated once more.  "We were kids.  We didn't know any better."

"I know but it'll take away some of the guilt," Jiyong whispered quietly before waving goodbye and closing the door.

……..

"I miss you too Daddy," Sophia whispered sadly into the phone.  It was another quiet Sunday night in the bookstore and she was going out of her mind with boredom.  To her surprise, her father had called her and it made her miss home even more.  Sophia bit her bottom lip to suppress the need to cry.  Instead, she placed a smile on her face and listened to her father ramble on about his meeting with the marketing directors and how horrible their ideas were.

"You know sweetheart, you can come home.  We haven't filled your position yet," her father's comforting voice echoed through and Sophia almost gave in. 

"I know."

"I don't like you so far away and Christmas is right around the corner.  At least come home for Christmas and New Years.  I don't want you to spend it alone."

"I'm not.  I'll be spending it with a few friends," Sophia lied smoothly.  She was more than positive she would be spending the holidays curled up with a good book.  It sounded much better than spending it with her dad and his new wife, Jane.  "Plus aren't you, Jane, Uncle Steve and Aunt Marie going to Barbados in a few days?  If I came home, I'd be spending it alone anyways."

"I still don't like you alone over there."

"I've survived for the past year," Sophia reminded him.

"Yes, you're right about that.  Listen, I have another meeting in a few minutes.  Is there anything you need?"

"For the last time, I don't need anything Daddy."

"Alright then sweetheart, I'll talk to you in a few days and call me if you need anything.  Ok?"

"Yes sir."

"I love you Soph."

"I love you too.  Tell Jane I said hello," Sophia murmured quietly before hanging up.  Sighing, she looked around the tiny shop and breathed in the smell of books and coffee.  It was a heavenly smell and it comforted her.  She turned and looked out the large windows and smiled at the large snowflakes falling softly to the ground.  It appeared that there was going to be a white Christmas in Seoul. 

Returning her attention to the pile of bills laid about the counter, the feeling of despair returned and Sophia groaned.  Maybe I should just give up.  Sophia frowned at the thought.  She didn't like the idea of giving up but the debt that her uncle had accumulated was too much.  She was barely making it as it was.  Giving up was starting to sound better as each new bill came in.  Sighing, Sophia gathered up the bills, folded them and shoved the pile into her purse.  She'd look through them after closing up.

It was too quiet in the bookstore so Sophia turned away from counter and made her way to the stereo.  Connecting her iPod to the stereo, she scrolled through her favorite artists until she reached the voice she wanted to listen to at the moment.  Sophia closes her eyes and let the sound of a guitar and smooth vocals wash over her.  The warmth of his voice wraps her into a safe cocoon and she smiles.

Lie down with me, yeah, and hold me in your arms.  And your heart's against my chest, your lips pressed to my neck.  I'm falling for your eyes but they don't know me yet.  And with a feeling I'll forget, I'm in love now.

"Why is it that every time I come in here, you're not working?  The last time you were sleeping and this time you're just standing there," the male voice shocked Sophia and she gave a quiet shout of surprise.  It was even more shocking to find herself standing face to face with the pink haired man from two weeks ago.  Although the pink in his hair was now beginning to fade, he still had the same amused eyes and a smirk on his face.  Sophia watched as he arched an eyebrow and grinned.

Jiyong had spied on the girl for a good ten minutes before gathering enough courage to walk into the bookstore.  He had been amused to see her listening to the music playing overhead.  She had been listening to someone he had never heard of.  It was a rather simple song about love.  Jiyong didn't mean to sneak into the store like he had but he didn't want to disturb the peaceful look on her face but he couldn't hide the fact that he enjoyed scaring her.  Gone was the look of tranquility from her face.  In its place was a look of irritation and as the minutes passed Jiyong saw her eyes darken with fury.

"What can I do for you?" Sophia snapped.

"A cup of Americano please," Jiyong replied with a smile.  He did truly enjoy watching her eyes darken.  She was definitely intriguing and he wanted to get to know her more.

"Should I make a cup of Caramel Macchiato for your y girlfriend as well?" Sophia muttered in English.  Jiyong silently laughed at the comment.

"Actually, it's just me.  Not that it's any of your business but that 'y girlfriend' you mention is now my ex-girlfriend.  I've been single for two weeks now," Jiyong replied in perfect English.  He was delighted to see the look of shock on her face.  He watched her cheeks burn a bright pink while she sputtered a bit before turning away to fix his cup of coffee.  The artist in himself stopped to listen to the next song playing through the speakers.  And it's dark in a cold December, but I've got ya to keep me warm.  And if you're broken, I'll mend ya.  And keep you sheltered from the storm that's raging on now.  "This is a nice song.  Who is it?"

Sophia stopped what she was doing and stared at the pink haired man.  Jiyong pointed a finger to the speaker and smiled.  "What?"

"The guy singing - what's his name?"

"Ed Sheeran," Sophia supplied and Jiyong nodded while making a mental note of the name.

"What are you doing here?"  Sophia voiced the question she had wanted to ask since he surprised her.  He looked taken aback by the question but Sophia noticed it didn't take long for him to hide it.

"I hear you guys have the best selection of comics here," Jiyong lied nervously.  Sophia narrowed her eyes and stared at him.

"You don't seem like the kind who's interested in comics."

"Haven't you ever heard that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or that first impressions are almost always wrong."

"What you say is very true but I also have been around a lot of people and you, sir, don't strike me as someone who is interested in comics.  So you can stop the charade and just come out with the truth," Sophia pointed out.

"You're right.  I'm not very interested in your stash of comics," Jiyong admitted and Sophia nodded in agreement.

"So why are you really here?"

"I'm here to make a deal with you."


For the one's curious with the songs that I incorporated into this chapter.