Missed

722

There she is again.

That same lady I’ve seen for four consecutive weddings now.

Why is she here again?

It can’t be that all of the wedded couples are related to her.

The altar boy frowns, occupied by deep thoughts.

 

The lady in question was again in the last pew.

Seemingly participating. However her eyes were too glassy. As if she was simply observing.

After the ceremony was over, the boy grabbed Monsignor by the arm.

“Father, father. Look, it’s the lady again.”

The Monsignor looked in her direction and quietly smiled.

“Yes. Let’s leave her alone Toto.”

“But Monsignor. Why is she always here?”

“Stop squeezing my poor arm and I will tell you.”

The boy reluctantly let go and mustered a smile.

“Okay, let me change first and let’s meet at the back.”

Toto nodded enthusiastically.

 

After a few moments, the Monsignor appeared in a plain black polo and sat down in front of a very curious Toto.

“Let’s see. That lady first came here 2 years ago. She attends every single wedding religiously.”

Toto’s full attention was focused on the priest.

“At first I thought she was just fond of weddings so I just let her be.”

“However, in the middle of one of the celebrations, tears started flowing from her eyes. I wished to talk to her after the mass, but she disappears as soon as the wedding is over.”

“I resolved to talk to her the next chance I get and it was around five months ago when I finally got to.”

The Monsignor took a bottle of water and drank.

“Oh come on Monsignor. You’re leaving me hanging.”

The Monsignor chuckled in surprise.

What an eager child.

“Alright. Alright.”

“When I finally got a hold of her, I asked her why she was attending these weddings.”

“ She just smiled. She told me that she went to the weddings ‘cause she missed the most important one in her life.”

Toto was left gaping. His eyes crinkled as tears were making themselves seen.

“Oh dear Toto. Do not make assumptions. Head to the parking area now if you still want to catch her.” Mosignor gave an encouraging smile as he left the boy with a soft pat on the head.

Toto hurriedly wiped his tears and ran to the parking.

There he caught the lady engulfed in another woman’s embrace.

He caught snippets of their conversation.

“Honey, I told you to stop doing this.”

“But, Jessica. A promise is a promise. This is how I’ll make it up to you.”

“Pabo! I am more than certain your heart is mine. Stop being remorseful now.”

“But I missed our wedding. Even I can’t bear to forgive myself.” The lady’s eyes had years of pain written in them.

The girl called Jessica had enough of this. She hurriedly knelt down and stared at the lady with eyes filled with firmness and conviction. “Yoona, will you marry me?”

The lady was speechless. “Uh, … but I’m the one who’s supposed to ask you that?”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “Really Yoona? I’m waiting for your answer.”

The lady instantly pulled the girl up and placed her in a tight hug. “Yes, yes, over and over yes.”

Both of the girls were in tears.

Suddenly, Toto felt tears landing on his shoulders. He looked up to see the Monsignor quietly observing the girls just as he had been.

“You see Toto, she does this out of love.”

It feels odd seeing the Monsignor cry ceaselessly.

“Her girlfriend agreed to give her another chance if she would show her that she did indeed love her. In her desperation she told her that she’d go to every single wedding if that’s what it took and this is where this took them.”

Tears unknowingly found their way to Toto’s eyes too.

Toto reluctantly gave Monsignor his handkerchief as the two of them entered the church to give the girls some privacy.

----

A/N: Let us for this instance take it that the Monsignor is just very accepting.

Sorry it's short. And yes I notice the lack of details. Again sorry.

I am getting rusty. Damn.

Posted this because I feel plenty grateful to all the old Yoonsic authors who have been updating. You guys rock! I wish to finish all the unfinished multi-shots but Med school has got me occupied. Hopefully this May/June I will.

I still can’t stop myself from crying every time I think of soshi and Jessica and…. anyway. More power to Yoonsic.