The Move.

She's Like a Prince

"You're what?!" Sulli exclaimed upon hearing the news. I quickly moved my index finger over my lips, signaling for her not to be so loud. She got the hint and repeated her question in a hushed tone. It was lunch and I was in the cafeteria with Sulli, Luna and Krystal. Victoria was running late.

"Shh, I'm not supposed to tell people!" I whisper-yelled. "Anyway.." I continued, "Kai's family is seriously moving in with me. It's the weirdest, most impulsive decision my parents have made yet. They all came over for some business dinner yesterday and they hit it off really well. My parents and Kai's parents are forming a business partnership and decided we should live together as well, I don't know. My parents are interesting folk."

When I'd started explaining, Victoria plopped down next to me and was now in shock. "Whoa." Was all she said.

"Well, good luck. Kai's a total jerk." Luna said. "And be careful around him, he's a massive player and he might try something." Krystal added. "Don't worry about it, guys. Kai was actually pretty nice to me yesterday. He didn't even throw a fit about the whole moving thing." I told them reassuringly.  I decided not to mention me kind of bonding with Kai over dancing yesterday, just because I wanted to keep it our secret for a little while.

They gave me skeptical looks, but eventually agreed. 

--

"Hey, Kai. Are you ready to go? My mom said I should help you pack." I said to him. It was the end of the day and I found him at his locker, putting on his shoes. "Oh, hey." He said, standing up. "I won't be going home for an hour or so. I've got a date in about five minutes." He said apologetically.

"Oh, okay! Don't worry about it. Have fun." I said with a bright smile. He still didn't look relieved. "I really am sorry, Amber. It's just, I didn't know I'd be having to pack today when I got asked yesterday morning. My parents should be home though, so you can help them with some stuff." I sighed, shaking my head.

"I'll be fine, don't worry. I'll be at your house when you get back. Don't rush the date because of me." I told him, before I waved goodbye and turned around, walking out the front doors.

The walk to Kai's house wasn't a long one, about the same distance from my house to the school, just in the opposite direction. I put my headphones in and listened to music the whole way there, having to hold down my stupid skirt every time a tiny gust of wind came my way. How do girls do this voluntarily?

I skipped up the steps to Kai's house and knocked on the door. About a second later, a maid opened the door, smiling shyly at me. "Hello. You must be Miss Liu. Please, come in." She said, pulling the door open. I stepped in and marveled at the foyer. 

Kai's place was certainly larger than mine, I noticed. I could already see boxes everywhere, each labeled differently. "Oh, Amber honey! How was school?" Mrs.Kim asked, coming into the kitchen. 

"It was okay, how's the packing?" She smiled. "Mediocre. And boring.Very, boring." She replied, faking a yawn. "Where is my son, by the way?"

"He said he had somewhere to go and that he'd be back in an hour or so." I told her, not sure if Kai would want her to know he was going on a date or not.  "Oh, okay. He better not be too long, I don't to be stuck making just you and the maids help me pack. They're here to clean, I don't want to burden them with packing too." She said, putting spices into a box. 

"I'm sure he wouldn't do that. Besides, I don't mind helping at all." 

--

"I'm back!" Kai yelled from the front door. Mrs.Kim and I were sitting in the living room, taking a break from all the packing we did. Nearly everything was being donated because there would be no room or need for it at my house. It was basically all of the living room, kitchen, dining room and bathroom stuff that was being sent away.

"Welcome back, Jongin honey. Were you out with your friends?" Mrs.Kim asked when Kai walked into the room. "Uh, yeah. I was hanging out with Kyungsoo for a bit." He said smoothly. 

I waved and he gave me a grateful smile. "So, what else needs to be packed, omma?" He asked. "Your room, your father's study and our room." She replied. "Oh, okay. Where's dad?"

"He's working late tonight, honey. I've actually got to go now too, he'll be needing my help." She said, glancing at her watch. "Typical." Kai mumbled bitterly. "Jongin, don't start with this right now, okay? I've got to go." Mrs.Kim said, getting up. 

"I'll see you later, Amber. You two kids be nice to each other." She said, kissing Kai on the cheek and walking over to the foyer. Kai wiped his face and scoffed, turning to leave the room. After a couple of steps, he stopped and looked at me. "You coming?" He asked. I nodded and got up, following him out of the room and down a hallway.

At the end of the hall was Kai's room. "You sleep on the main floor?" I asked casually. "Yeah. There's extra rooms and stuff upstairs, but I can play my music without bugging anyone here." He said simply.

"Good idea. Are you um.. alright?" I asked, this time carefully. "I don't know, to be honest. I should be used to the hours my parents work by now, but it's annoying. They're never here at all. My dad's the worst for staying home. Even on days off he'll go to the office for an hour or two just to see how things are going with everyone. They've been like that ever since I can remember." He said spitefully. I sighed, I could relate.

"I know exactly how you feel, believe me. Back in L.A, I didn't see very much of my parents at all. They always dragged me to these rich people dinners, where I would be judged by a bunch of high-class adults I could care less about, who sneered at me for my appearance. I guess to them, tomboy's aren't classy enough. To be a rich girl is to wear dresses on the daily, have fancy hairstyles, be everything I'm not. The only reason why my parents have been home so much is because of the move." I told him. He looked at me for a bit before speaking again.

"I think you're pretty cool, Amber. If the tight- high society doesn't approve of the way you look, don't worry about it. You're cool 'cause you're different from all those prissy, high-class girls. I think living together won't be so bad, at least when our parents are working we can still hang out." I looked away, surprised at both Kai's compliment and the fact that my cheeks felt hot. 

"Thanks, Kai. You know what? I think you're right. Maybe living together will be better than I thought." 


Author's Note

Yay, update! It's kinda short, sorry. I'll update again on Saturday. I can't promise that one will be long, but I'll try!