Saturday

Seven Days

 

Saturday

 

Junhyung walked his way out of school after practicing in the dance room with a couple of other club members. It wasn’t an official club meeting, however. Flipping open his phone, he stared at his contact lists and was about to call Jieun.

 

“Junhyung-oppa~!” Jiyoon, one of the dance club members, suddenly appeared, patting his back. “Good work today~. I’m surprised that you actually showed up to our club meetings this week…What’s up?”

 

“Ah, yeah…” Junhyung looked down at her shorter figure, “Because if I don’t, I’ll get scolded.”

 

“Eh?” Jiyoon cutely tilted her head, “By who? The club advisor? Well, whatever, wanna go eat lunch together?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Junhyung took this time for a short, small bow, “but I’m already seeing someone.”

 

“AH!” Jiyoon’s mouth dropped wide open, “So the rumored weekly girlfriend? I see. So if I just wait until the day after tomorrow, then it’d be fine,” She unsurely stared at Junhyung stiff and serious expression, “…right?” Jiyoon gulped nervously, cautiously backing up a few steps.

 

“Can I make a phone call?” Junhyung asked politely.

 

“O-Of course!” Jiyoon stuttered before leaving him alone, standing a good distance away from him. Did I say something wrong? She pondered.

 

Junhyung called Jieun, walking out of the school gates and turning the corner.

 

“Ah, I thought I heard something like your voice,” Jieun’s voice was heard from Junhyung’s phone as he stared in surprise at Jieun who also had her phone against her ear. Jieun was leaning against the entrance to CUBE High.

 

Jieun lowered her phone and closed it, “Waiting at home was boring, so I kinda ended up here.”

 

“Kinda ended up here”, she says… Junhyung thought as he ended the call on his phone, sighing. …That’s cute. Jieun was acting weird on the way back yesterday… but she was the one who asked for us to meet up today.

 

Jiyoon finally exited the school gates, also turning around the corner. “Ah~, I see! You were meeting with Jieun-sunbaenim! Wah, I’m so sorry, just please forget what I was saying!” She exaggeratingly waved her hands in front of her chest. Jiyoon turned to chat with Jieun, “Sunbaenim! If you’re at school, then please drop by the practice room on the weekends even if they’re not official club meetings!”

 

“Well,” Jieun sheepishly laughed, “if a sunbaenim shows up so much, won’t the underclassmen be annoyed?”

 

“What are you saying?! If you drop by, then the motivation will shoot sky-high!” Jiyoon unnecessarily waved and flapped her arms in protest.

 

“Ah, okay, I’ll try my best to come tomorrow then!”

 

“Really?! You have to!” Jiyoon happily high-fived the ace of the Dance Club.

 

They seem really close… Junhyung thought while watching the two interact, Well, Jieun wouldn’t—All of a sudden Jieun glanced back at Junhyung, catching him off guard. Gah! What am I thinking?! He clutched his head, Jieun doesn’t swing that way, Jieun doesn’t swing that way. He chanted in his head. “You…seem really popular amongst the club members, huh?” Junhyung attempted to smirk coolly.

 

Jieun ignored what he had said, and suddenly got into a sulky mood. “What was the ‘Forget it’ just then?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Jiyoon asked you to forget something.”

 

“Ah, that,” Junhyung rubbed the back of his head, “If we could have lunch together or something like that…”

 

“What, so you were charmingly invited…Don’t cheat on me. Ah…I’m so hungry that I’m overreacting so much,” Jieun pouted as fake tears welled up in her eyes and she started walking. “Hey, what do you wanna eat?” She turned around to face Junhyung who was laughing. Not just chuckling or anything, but laughing.

 

“Hey, which screw fell loose?” Jieun stood on her tippy-toes poking around Junhyung’s head.

 

“I’m happy. I’ve said it before, right?” Junhyung smiled at Jieun, “I’m the one who likes to be restrained.” He happily sighed, “Don’t cheat, she said~.” He turned around to see Jieun frozen in place. Obviously, she was extremely freaked out to say the least. Junhyung shoved his face in Jieun’s, “Say it again!”

 

“Y-You…” Jieun flushed, her face probably a tomato, “MASOCHIST!” She started stomping the way home.

 

~~

 

The two sat at a round table together in a little café.

 

Jieun sighed, bored, “What to do~…”

 

“Ah, then do you want to come over?” Junhyung suggested, his memories momentarily cleared of what had happened the day before.

 

“No way.”

 

“Yeah, ehh…let’s forget about my house.”

 

“Hyuna,” Jieun stared out the window, leaning her cheek against her hand with her elbow propped on the table, “will be there again, huh? At your house.”

 

“Yeah. She might be there.”

 

“Definitely not going.”

 

“Um…I’m sorry about yesterday,” Junhyung genuinely looked apologetic. “She’s like that to everyone. Really.”

 

“Doesn’t matter,” Jieun gloomily muttered while looking down, “It’s fine.”

 

“She probably doesn’t mean any har—’’

 

Jieun turned to face Junhyung with a raised eyebrow, “Why’d you stop?”

 

“W-What was I saying…?” Junhyung scratched his head, confused. For a moment, I swear…I swear I saw Jieun’s pained face. Was it just me…?

 

“Want to come over?” Jieun shyly suggested before picking up her soda and sipping on the straw.

 

Junhyung sat, shocked for a moment, unable to say anything.

 

“…Don’t want to?”

 

Junhyung furiously shook his head side-to-side at that.

 

Jieun finished her drink within a few huge gulps, “Then it’s decided.” The two exited the café and Jieun led the way, “This way.”

 

“Hm…” Junhyung glanced around the neighborhood as they walked to Jieun’s house.

 

“Just so you know,” Jieun warned, “my house is a normal one. Unlike yours.”

 

~~

 

The two had decided to watch a movie, but Jieun was already tired. She was about to fall asleep on her bed with Junhyung sitting beside her.

 

“Hey…isn’t this boring?” Jieun asked while staring at the TV’s screen.

 

“You said you wanted to watch this no matter what…” Junhyung blankly looked at the movie, “It’s boring.” He bluntly insulted.

 

Jieun crawled over to the TV, about to take the video tape out of the VCR and turn the TV off, when her phone buzzed. The signal that showed that someone had texted her. Jieun read the first line of the text and immediately called someone and yelled, “GIVE ME BACK MY RENTAL FEE!”

 

Astonished, Junhyung stammered, “W-Who did you call? Don’t tell me the rental store…”

 

“Minhee-ah.” She held her phone and showed Junhyung the text.

 

From:Minhee

Subj.:How Unexpected

Don’t tell me you actually rented the movie I was talking about the other day? d=^_^=b

 

“…You were fooled?”

 

Jieun buried her face into the soft bedsheets, “Lately, I keep on getting tricked by her.”

 

“Did something else happen?”

 

“…” Jieun continued to snuggle a pillow, “Watching the boring thing made me sleepy.” She pouted, her cheeks resembling a chipmunk.

 

“You say that at least once a day,” Junhyung pointed out.

 

“…I can’t help it. I didn’t really sleep last night either.”

 

“…What were you doing?” Junhyung carefully inquired.

 

Jieun leaned up from her position on her bed to face Junhyung with a brave stare, “I was thinking about you.”

 

“E-Eh?”

 

Junhyung’s phone suddenly rang, breaking the tension. He slipped it out of his pocket and glanced at the caller ID. ‘Hyuna’. He snapped it close.

 

“Why didn’t you pick up?”

 

Junhyung kept quiet and tightened his grip on his phone which kept on ringing. After a few minutes, the ringing finally stopped.

 

“Hey, who was the call from?” Jieun continued to interrogate, insistent.

 

“…I don’t know. It was an unknown number,” Junhyung cleanly answered. “This…” he took out the movie preview pass out of his blazer’s pocket, “Next week, I want to go with Jieun.”

 

Jieun stared at the crumpled pass for a few seconds before fragilely asking, “As schoolmates?”

 

The ringing of Junhyung’s phone resumed.

 

“Answer it,” Jieun darkly commanded.

 

“Huh?”

 

“ANSWER IT!!!” Jieun furiously yelled. She swiped the video tape and placed it back in its case, “I’ll go return it.” She left without a look back to Junhyung.

 

“I’ll go wi—’’ Junhyung attempted to follow her out the door.

 

“It’s fine,” Jieun said so with an affirmative tone, “I’m going alone.”

 

Again… Junhyung thought to himself after he was left alone in Jieun’s room. Every time I get my hopes up, and then… it all comes crashing down. The movie pass was left by itself on the floor, unnoticed by him. Junhyung repeatedly tried to contact Jieun through a call. It won’t connect no matter how many times I call… Even if I go looking for her…I can’t leave the house unlocked…

 

“Eek!” a girl that looked to be about 12 years old squeaked as Junhyung suddenly swung the door open. She donned a cute, frilly apron and had a similar facial expression compared to Jieun. “Eh? Where did Jieun-unnie go?”

 

“About that, she went out and didn’t come back…” Junhyung explained himself, “Um…are you Jieun’s little sister?”

 

“Aye, aye!” the little girl confirmed with an aegyo-filled salute, “Jung Miyoung imnida!”

 

Junhyung sent a quick small smile towards her before going back into the room to grab his things, “I’m going back now. Please tell Jieun for me, alright?” He turned to leave when he noticed the crumbled movie pass on the wooden floor. Junhyung snatched it before placing it back into his pocket. Finally, he walked out to the main door, about to leave.

 

“Um…sorry!” Miyoung suddenly apologized as Junhyung took a step outside. “Erm, sometimes unnie doesn’t think of others and she’ll be selfish, so…sorry.”

 

“It’s a bit troublesome, but that’s what makes her Jieun,” Junhyung left Jieun’s little sister with that before departing.

 

If it doesn’t connect this time, I’m going home! Junhyung silently declared as he dialed Jieun’s number one more time. After what seemed like forever of constant ringing, Junhyung was about to end the call when he heard a click. It got through?

 

He placed the phone against his ear but didn’t say anything, “…” Nothing was heard from the other end either. Junhyung finally talked after a few minutes, “Jieun-ah is…always saying that I’m a masochist, and now I’ve come to think that way myself.”

 

“Heh,” Jieun’s short chuckle was heard.

 

“…Where are you?” Junhyung gently asked.

 

“…Were you like that to everyone?”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Were you? To me, it’s always been rather odd for someone to break up so easily with someone else after only a week. To be honest, it’s kinda absurd. That sort of thing. Even so… I wondered why not a single girl you broke up with spoke badly of you. What kind of skill did you use? I was always thinking…and now I think I’ve got it. You make the person you’re with feel good and really comfortable.”

 

…Really?... Junhyung thought to himself with a smile after hearing those compliments.

 

“I’m so easy to understand once you start talking to me…” he sighed, “Well, anyway…Jieun, you left me so suddenly.”

 

“Well, I was annoyed.”

 

“A-Annoyed?” Jieun’s answer stabbed through Junhyung like an arrow.

 

“That I can’t even stand little things,” Junhyung continued to walk up the stairs to the school roof when he didn’t hear Jieun’s phone voice anymore. “And my head overreacts, I get annoyed at myself.” He stopped when he reached the top and stared in surprise at Jieun who was standing there also, with a closed phone in hand.

 

You can see Jieun’s house from up here… Junhyung looked down at the neighborhood below them.

 

“Even so, I wondered about what I should do,” Jieun continued with her talking.

 

“…About what?”

 

“Like ‘But’ or ‘Only if’…or ‘Afterwards’. Thinking about that kind of stuff made my head hurt and all messed up.” Jieun answered.

 

“Jieun…?” Junhyung was still clueless.

 

“But I’ve got it. I’m not used to these kinds of things. The preview tickets,” Jieun held out an open hand, “Give them to me.”

 

Junhyung hesitantly handed the crumpled tickets over, thinking, It’s not like it’ll all turn to nothing.

 

Jieun only looked at them for one second before proceeding to rip them.

 

Junhyung’s eyes widened behind his dark sunglasses.

 

Jieun continued to rip and rip them until they were in tiny little pieces. And then she opened up her palm and let them fly away.

 

“I’ve decided,” Jieun said this with a definite and firm voice, “these tickets aren’t needed anymore.” She walked past Junhyung coldly, “See you tomorrow, Junhyung.”

 

Junhyung could only stand there like a stone statue. His mind completely blank; he didn’t know what to do.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Second update of the day! :O First time ever! LOL. I might update with Sunday today also. After all, this is an evil place to leave off on. But I'll need some subbies/comments/tweets/wall-posts, *nudgenudgewinkwink* Jk. I'll try updating again today even if that doesn't happen. :)

Oh yeah...and btw, this isn't the usual charismatic Jiyoon from 4Minute. It's the aegyo-filled one :P (XD If you watched Bouquet, then you know what I mean probably...)