...Onew?

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

 

"Some where over the rainbow, way up high. And the dreams that you dreamed of, once in a lullaby."

 
I strummed on my  ukulele, while I swung slowly on my porch swing. Singing Israel  Kamakawiwo's version of somewhere over the rainbow to my grandfather. 
 
"Oh somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly. And the dreams that you dared to dream, really do come true."
 
I looked over at my grandfather. His eyes were closed but he was smiling and swaying back and fourth to the song.
 
"Someday I'll wish upon a star. Wake up where the clouds are far, behind me. Where trouble melts like lemon drops. Far above the chimney tops, that's where, you'll find me." 
 
I heard the screen door creak open but I ignored it and continued to play. 
 
"Oh somewhere over the rainbow, blue birds fly. And the dreams that you dare to. Oh why, oh why can't I?"
 
"Alright boys, it's time to come inside. Dinners ready." 
 
My grandma cut me off before I could start the next verse. I stopped playing and laid my ukulele to the empty spot beside me. I got up and stretched and waited for my grandfather to get up. When he did, he laid his hand on my shoulder, slightly patting it. 
 
"You get better everyday my boy." 
 
He smiled and made his way past me, opening the screen door. 
 
"Dinner smells great yeobo!" 
 
He stated very loudly as he entered the house. A smile crept onto my face. I let out a happy sigh as the warm breeze blew through my hair. When I entered the house, I glanced over at the pictures of my parents and smile at them as I have done for the past ten years. When I was seven years old, I was with my parents to our local zoo with my parents . It was the day  before Christmas and we went to the zoo to look at the animals and the Christmas lights. It was our family tradition, if that's what you want to call it. When we went to leave, we were one of the last ones to leave because I wanted to make sure all the monkeys went to bed so they'll be able to get up for Santa Clause. When we reached our car, my father took me off his shoulders and placed me in the seat. I quickly reached up and grabbed the seat buckle and bucked myself in. I wanted to show my dad how much of a big boy I was. I smiled at him. 
 
"Ah, Jinki. You're growing into such a fine young boy."
 
He ruffled my hair as I giggled. He closed my door and proceeded over to my mom and kissed her on the lips. When they finished they smiled at each other. He opened the door for her and waited till she was in. Closing the door, he went to the drivers side and got in. Starting the car, I began to get sleepy.  
 
"Umma?" 
 
I asked through a yawn. 
 
"Yes baby?"
 
"Can I have my monkey?"
 
I heard her going through the bags looking for the new toy they bought me.
 
"Here you go baby." 
 
She said as she turned around and handed it to me.
 
"Thank you Umma." 
 
I placed the medium plush toy in between the window and myself, slowly drifting off to sleep.  
 
*No ones P.O.V.*
 
His eyes started to get heavy, the warmth of the car was lulling him to sleep. His wife and child had already drifted off to sleep. He pushed on a button to roll down the window, letting to chill air shock him awake. The air was his antidote against falling asleep, but alas it was not strong enough. Ten minutes after he rolled the window down, sleep struck him even stronger. His eyes slowly drooping shut. He jerked awake, swriving the car slightly but just enough to wake up his wife. She jumped up and looked around. They were in an isolated area, no cars coming their way or following behind them. She glanced over at her husband and noticed his difficulties of staying awake. 
 
"Yeobo, do you want me to drive?"
 
He looked over at her. He yearned to say yes but he knew driving at night was not her strong point. So instead his shoke his head no.
 
"Just stay up and talk to me." 
 
They started to talk about fond  memories that they shared such as when they first met, when they were married, and when their little boy was born. 
 
They always wanted to have another child but she was not able to, her body was not producing enough eggs. Their boy was a miracle child. 
 
Glancing over at the love of his life, he lost control over the car as it slid across black ice. His wife screamed out the little boy's name causing him to wake up. He grabbed ahold of her hand and yelled I love you before the car slammed into a tree.
 
"Jinki's P.O.V.*
 
I shook the memory out of my head and made my to the table. Taking the seat in between them, they both sent me a warm smile as we filled our plates with rice, kimchi and my favorite, chicken. As soon as my plate was full, I picked up my piece of chicken. The spices filled my mouth as the meat easily pulled away from the bone. I let out a satisfied sigh as the food slipped down my throat. I looked over at my grandma
 
"This is excellent halmoni"
 
"Anything for you yeon-in." 
 
she patted my arm as I continued eating. 
 
"So Jinki, how was school today."
 
My mind flashed back to earlier today, when the schools bully and his little gang harassed me. I didn't want him to worry so I just smiled and said 
 
"It was good hal-abeoji" 
 
"Good, good. Did you learn anything new?"
 
"No, we are just reviewed everything from last week."
 
"I see, do you have any homework?"
 
"No I do not."
 
I answered with a smile. I got pretty good grades, second in my class. I would be first but I don't really do my homework because when I come home, I don't like worrying about school.
 
" Good, now we can watch a movie." 
 
He smiled. A smile crept on to my face, I love watching movies with my grandpa, he always had new release's. My grandfather and
I quickly picked up our pace on eating our food. Shoveling it into our mouths, barely chewing, as if it was a race. When we finished, I looked at my grandma, taking in deep breaths. 
 
"Halmoni, may we be excused?" 
 
I asked for the both of us. She let out a soft laugh and started to shoo us.
 
"Yes, you can go."
 
We both quickly made our way into the living room. I plopped down on the couch and waited for my grandpa to pick out a movie.
 
"Ahh, here we go."
 
He opened a movie case and put the movie into our DVD player.
 
"What are we watching?"
 
I asked.
 
"The Raid."
 
He sat down in the recliner next to me and started the movie.
 
~After the Movie~
 
I blinked for what seemed like the first time. The movie was absolutely fantastic. I looked over at my grandpa, he looked tired but just as pleased as I was from the movie. I stood up and stretched. 
 
"That was an fantastic movie." 
 
I smiled.
 
"That it was my boy. Well this old man is headed off to bed. Don't stay up to late."
 
"Alright hal-beoji. Goodnight." 
 
"Goodnight son."
 
He smiled at me before he walked into his room. I looked around, unsure what to do. Then I remembered that I left my ukulele outside. I made my over to the door, opening it slowly, trying to make it creak as less as possible so my grandparents wouldn't wake up. Stepping outside, the fresh smell of summer filled my nose while the warm breeze, tingled my skin. The sound of a ukulele permeated my ears. I turned to where the sound was coming from. It was coming the porch swing and my ukulele! I tried to get a glimpse of who the person was but a shadow casted by the house, concealed his face. I took a step forward, the floor board released a groan from the slight pressure difference added on it. The mysterious persons looked towards me, eyes meeting mine.
 
"Onew?"