Let Me Know

Let Me Hear Your Voice

 

“I found out the reason behind that incident a few days later.” I chuckle darkly, lowly. “It turns out she was going to be engaged to a wealthy man she didn’t love.”

How did you find that out? My sister would ask.

I shake my head. I know her too well. I stare at her name engraved on her tombstone. “It was the talk of the town at that point. Many other women envied Clara.” I let out a deep sigh. “Clara…” I bite my lip, hard. I look away and stare distantly. “I never saw that girl ever again.”

She left you hanging?

I shake my head once more. “I wouldn’t say that. She… just never came back to the park anymore. And I avoided it anyway.”

Why did you avoid it?

I close my eyes, remembering that exact scene. I remember the way her head snapped to the right, the loud smack when her father’s hand connected with her check, the way she weakly fell to the ground, and I especially remember the way the way a few drops of her blood fell out of from the intensity of the slap. I didn’t know Clara that well, but she left a remarkable impression on me. It made my heart ache when I saw her face the last time.

“It was too overwhelming.” I utter out, my eyes still shut. I remember I stood there as she glanced back at me one more time. My heart was pounding wildly against my chest at that moment. Her beautiful face was stained with fat tears and intimidating blood. It was something I’d never wanted to see in my life. Someone like her, someone who practically changed my view about everything, should not have a face like Clara did at that time. It was like making an angel weep.

You fell in love with her.

The statement hit me like a bullet. The wind blows and I actually fall back a little. Caught by surprise, I sit back up. My hand finds its’ way to my hair, tightly gripping it. I feel my lips tremble and my throat clog up. I’m about to lose it again. Abruptly, I stand up. I look down at my little sister, tears fresh. I gently kiss my two fingers and touch my little sister’s tombstone.

“I’m so sorry, but I’m going to leave you again. You may have left me in this world, but I’m not going to let you leave my life. After telling you about Clara…” I stop, my lips. A tear falls down my cheek solemnly. “I’m going to try. I want to find her. I want to both of us to know that I had a reason why I revealed my story with her to you. I’m giving this story a reason.”

~O~O~

Without stopping for a breather, I go straight out of the airport and go back to my house. Without regard, I carelessly throw my luggage in my room. I glance at the clock and let out a long sigh. It’s almost sunrise. With heavy steps, I walk over to the window, looking out at America. Out in the horizon, I see the sky swirling with a bright shade of gray. Clouds seem to move faster, as if the world was spinning faster to help me.

I turn away, feeling my eyelids drooping. Maybe a little sleep would be good before heading out. Without even bothering to change clothes, I plop down on my cold, neglected bed. I wrap myself in the stiff blanket and bury my face in the unused pillow. My eyes instantly close and I find my mind drifting off to slumber.

I find myself walking towards the familiar-looking park. I stick my hands deep in my jean pockets. I stand right on the outskirts of the park, scanning the people. I squint, rubbing my eyes. I look up at the bright, blue sky. Beautiful white snowflakes fall and touch my skin. I close my eyes. It’s snowing.

With the thought in mind, I look back out at the park. There are so many people here this time. Am I even going to find her with all these people here? Sloshing through the thick snow, I walk around the bench I met her at. There was only an elderly couple there, holding each other’s hands lovingly. I look away, my chest aching at the sight. I let out a sigh.

Just then, I catch a splotch of red at the corner of my eyes. I quickly whip my head around, instantly finding a bright red scarf wrapped around a girl’s neck. Taking off, I reach her in no time. I stand behind her sitting figure. Her hair is hidden underneath her jacket, but the way my heart pounds is telling me this is Clara. Placing a hesitant hand on her shoulder, I turn her around—

I open my eyes as sunlight welcomes me, a reality check. I sit up in my bed, my body stiff from my uncomfortable sleeping position. I run a hand through my hair, letting out a deep sigh as I realize that it was only a dream. If only it could come true… My eyes widen.

“I believe they’re pieces of your dreams, the dreams where you secretly wish they come true.” Clara’s words bounce around in my head, making my heart pump faster in anticipation.

Quickly, I jump out of my bed and stumble towards the window, looking out. It’s snowing! Could this be my chance? Is this a sign? I run to my suitcase and change clothes, too excited to take a shower. I took one last night anyway. Slipping my shoes on clumsily, I run out of my house.

I think it’s time to put Clara’s theories to the test. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys! Just dropping by! I've been updating a lot faster for this story since I want to finish it off before the years ends. Anyway, this is just a notice that the epilogue is next! Expect it! (: