Later {Joonmyun}

Out of this World - An EXO One Shot Collection

{Joonmyun}

 

Kim Joonmyun was scared. Yet he was also excited. He actually didn't know what to feel at the moment. He stared at the envelope he held in his hand. He had just retrieved his mail from his mailbox and nearly screamed out of joy (or maybe it was fright) when he saw the envelope with the big red emblem on it. The letter in his hand decided his future. It decided whether he'd be going to the best school there ever was, or whether he'd be stuck in a local school that was no good. It also decided whether he'd be leaving his girlfriend or staying with her.

 

It made sense that he was fearful of the letter. But it also made sense that he was anxious and impatient to tear open the envelope to reveal his fate. Joonmyun felt guilty, though. He questioned his actions and feelings. Should he really be this happy that he might possibly be leaving his girlfriend? No, he told himself, he was excited because he might get to attend one of the best schools in America. And the fear he felt, he decided, was about leaving the love of his life behind.

 

The letter was still in his hand, unopened. Joonmyun had no idea what to do. Should he open it now? Should he wait for Jaekyung so they could open it together? He was torn, but sitting there doing nothing wasn't going to help the case, he realized.

 

He decided to text his girlfriend and ask for her opinion. Maybe she wanted to be there when he read his results. Or maybe she wouldn't. He'd never know unless he asked her.

 

To: Jaekyung

I got my results...

 

Not even a minute later, he received an answer that decided for him.

 

From: Jaekyung

Open it. I know you want to. I'll be there in 10.

 

Joonmyun smiled at the text. Jaekyung knew him so well. She always knew when he was fretting over something, even if he didn't outright say it. That's why he loved her.

 

When he tore open the envelope, he saw his score and his eyes widened. He didn't know whether he should laugh or cry.

 

He got accepted.

 

 

 

When Jaekyung arrived at Joonmyun's house, she saw him sitting on his couch with a solemn expression on his face. This was one of the few times she didn't know what he was thinking. She couldn't tell if he was upset because he didn't get in, or if he was upset because he did get in. She couldn't read his expression at all. And it worried her.

 

As soon as Joonmyun saw his girlfriend, he strided over to her and enveloped her into a hug. "I am so sorry," he whispered into her ear. And that was when she knew he got accepted. She closed her eyes and embraced him tighter, as if it was the last time they'd ever get to hug (and it might as well have been).

 

Jaekyung smiled and told him in a soft whisper, "I'm happy for you." She pulled him in closer, "I am so proud of you." And she was. She was so, so proud of her boyfriend. He had worked his off to get into that school. Her smile turned into a bitter one, one that showed her mixed feelings and conflicted emotions. Jaekyung was super happy for Joonmyun. He was going to attend the school of his dreams. But she was also sad. The school of his dreams was, unfortunately, all the way in America, and that meant that he'd be leaving her. Jaekyung felt guilty for being so selfish, but she couldn't help it. She wanted to tell him to stay with her, but of course she couldn't do that. She couldn't tear away his dream like that.

 

When the couple pulled apart, Jaekyung saw the serious look on Joonmyun's face. Again, she couldn't tell what he was thinking. It bothered her that she had no idea what was going on in his mind, since she usually could read him like an open book. But today, that book was closed, and Jaekyung was having a hard time trying to open it. 

 

"I'm not going."

 

That was all he said. Jaekyung was shocked. She was slightly angry, though she didn't know why. She was stunned and mad and all the emotions in between. "What do you mean you're not going?" 

 

Joonmyun sighed, "I'm not going," he said, shaking his head. "I can't go." He closed in on her and tried to envelope her in another hug.

 

Jaekyung was shocked at what she was hearing. She pushed him away and stared up at him, her brown eyes questioning every word he was saying. He ignored her gaze and instead chose to look down at the floor. "Joonmyun," she said, her voice wavering. "Joonmyun, look at me." When he still didn't look up at her, she took his head in her hands and made him look at her. "What are you saying? Why can't you go?"

 

He didn't have an answer for her. At least, not one that she'd like to hear. He exhaled loudly, and sat down on his couch, pulling her down next to him so that they were sitting side by side. He looked her straight in the eye and said, "I don't want to leave you."

 

For the second time that day, Noh Jaekyung's jaw dropped. She was shocked, confused, but most of all, she felt guilty. She felt like it was her fault that he was giving up this amazing opportunity. She felt to blame for why he was having such a hard time making a decision. And she wasn't going to have any of that. "I can't believe you," she said, standing up and walking away. When he didn't say anything, she turned around to face him, a bewildered expression on her face. "You're really going to give up your dream because of me? You're going to give up everything you worked so hard for?" she asked, though she didn't give him any time in between to answer. "Are you really going to let all those sleepless nights you spent studying go to waste? Or all those times you had to decline going out with your friends," she hesitated, "all those times you declined going out with me just so you could study, you're going to let it all go to waste?"

 

Her expression softened and she lowered her voice. Jaekyung walked forward while Joonmyun stood up so that they were face to face. He could feel her breath on his lips as she talked. "I want you to be happy with your decision. I want you to not regret anything when you look back on this moment." She leaned in closer, and they were basically nose to nose now. "I want you to go and not think about me, because I know you want to. It's okay," she said, a small smile reappearing on her face, "I'll wait for you."

 

"I love you," he whispered, as he closed the distance between their lips. 

 

 

 

It was two weeks later, and Joonmyun and Jaekyung were standing in the airport, solemn expressions on both of their faces.

 

Joonmyun held his girlfriend's hand, savoring this moment, as it would be the last time he'd get to see her in person for a while. He looked at the watch on his left wrist and he frowned. "I have thirty minutes until I board the plane," he said somberly.

 

"So is this it?" Jaekyung asked, a single tear rolling down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, even though he already saw it. "Is this goodbye?" 

 

He didn't know how to answer her. So he just stared at her, memorizing every single detail of her pretty face. He didn't want to forget a single thing about her. He noticed the way her eyebrows were perfectly arched, and he noticed how bright and shiny Jaekyung's dark brown eyes were. Joonmyun smiled when he saw the fact that there was a small mole under her left eye. He noted that her right dimple seemed to always be apparent on her face, even if she was frowning, like she was now, and how her cheeks were just a tint of pink even if she wasn't wearing any blush.

 

He noted all of these little details about her, and promised himself he wouldn't forget.

 

"I have to go," he said after a while, breaking the comfortable silence the two had shared. He looked at his girlfriend with sad eyes and saw that tears were already streaming out of her eyes.

 

Jaekyung hugged him tighter, not wanting to ever let go. She buried her head into his shoulder and cried. "I don't want to say goodbye." Joonmyun's shirt was getting soaked from her tears, but he didn't care. He patted her head in a futile to stop her from crying and to soothe her. After a few more moments, she sniffled and lifted her head up, her eyes puffy from crying. "I don't want you to go. I don't want to say goodbye to you."

 

"Then don't."

 

Jaekyung's head snapped up to look at him. "What?" she asked, confusion written all over her face. "What do you mean don't? You're not considering staying again are you? Because I've told you before, you're-"

 

"Let's say see you later instead," he interrupted, looking at her seriously. "Instead of saying goodbye, let's just say see you later."

 

Jaekyung smiled, a real one this time, not that bitter, unhappy, fake smile she's been sporting around lately. It was a genuine and happy smile. She giggled slightly before wiping her eyes and then nodded. Her eyes shone as she looked at her boyfriend and a pretty little smile appeared on her lips. "I'll see you later, Joonmyun."

 

He smiled also, and gave her another tight hug. When he let go, his bright smile was still prevalent on his handsome face. He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek, whispering a sweet "See you later, Jaekyung," before standing back up straight. At that moment, the intercom dinged, and a female voice was heard telling everyone that the plane heading to New York was no boarding. Joonmyun looked at Jaekyung with a hopeful smile. "I'll miss you!" And without another word, he turned around and ran towards the gate. He didn't dare look back though, afraid that if he saw Jaekyung standing there by herself, he'd run right back and never leave her side.

 

 

 

Noh Jaekyung was standing in the same exact spot she stood on when she saw Joonmyun leave. Except today, her smile was threatening to split her face. Her eyes haven't shone this bright in three years, and for the past couple of days, this moment was all she's been talking about and all she's been looking forward too.

 

Joonmyun was finally coming home.

 

The impatient girl looked at her wrist watch for the fifth time that minute, silently hoping the time would go buy faster. She was staring at the boarding gate, Gate 14, since that was the one Joonmyun had told her he'd be arriving in.

 

And then it happened. Three airport officials opened the gate doors and stood alongside it, greeting each tired passenger as they walked through. Jaekyung craned her neck and looked for her boyfriend, but she couldn't find him. Her smile slid off her face when stream of passengers dwindled down to only a few, yet there was still no sign of Joonmyun.

 

Someone tapped on her shoulder, but she ignored them. She had much more important things to do, and she was sure the person could wait, she reasoned with herself. Still, whoever this person was, they were persistent, and they tapped on her two more times before she sighed and turned around.

 

Who she saw made her jaw dropped, and her face splitting smile returned to her face. "Joonmyun!" She ran into his arms, hugging him tightly and telling herself she'd never let him go.

 

"Hey there, beautiful," he greeted, a content smile on his handsome face. "It's later now, isn't it?"

 

She bit her lip in an attempt to contain her happiness. Jaekyung remembered what he had said three years ago on this very spot and nodded. "It sure is," she said, pulling him in for a long awaited kiss.