In The Dark

Not Knowing

 

Dong Yoona’s POV:

 

My fingers were numb. I bet they’ll fall off anytime soon. I need heat, warmth. Youngbae oppa’s hug came to mind. No, Yoona. No. Home is the last place you want to be right now. I hugged my knees closer to my chest, hoping to reserve as much heat as I could.

I couldn’t get to any hotel nearby as news of my disappearance was spreading fast. If anyone recognizes me, I’ll be sent straight home. And I don’t want that. I should hitch a ride out of town. Yeah, maybe even to the Busan province.

I staggered up and started walking towards the road. It was almost midnight and vehicles seldom pass by at this hour. But luck was on my side as I saw bright lights approaching from afar. I stretched my arm out, hoping the driver would stop. When the truck did come to a stop, the window was rolled down, revealing a man in his middle ages.

“Hey girl, what are you doing alone at this late hour?” he asked.

“I need a ride. Could you take me towards the direction you’re going?” I said with a smile.  He gestured me to get into his vehicle and so I did, thanking him repeatedly.

The ride was a quiet one so I thought back on what I was doing. Me running a way from home was the result of a collision of happenings. It was hard to say what it was exactly. Anyways, I had a horrible family. A few weeks away from them would clear both our minds. I loved schooling away in the boarding school; it was so peaceful without having them up to my neck every single day. Especially appa.  He just wouldn’t stop on making me his ideal daughter. I mean, why can’t I do what I want to do?

Suddenly, the car swerved sharply. I screamed as I felt myself being pulled towards the direction of the swerve. The car suddenly skidded off the road and ran into the tree.

After screaming from fear, I tried calming myself down. I looked to the driver’s seat and was too shocked to scream again. The driver was shot. Dead. His round, bloodshot eyes stared at me in a sick manner. I felt nausea climbing up my throat and fear creeping up my back. I heard footsteps from the outside; maybe a group of people. A group of rapists? My imagination was too wild and I got too terrified. I jumped out of the truck, adrenaline pumping through my veins. I looked around, relief washed trough me, as there was no one around. I took a deep breath. But as I did, a hand covered my mouth and another holding me in by the waist.

I tried squirming and struggling out of the person’s grasp. By the strength of the arms, I figured it was a man. I tried screaming too. When he was tired of me, I felt something sharp and cold against my neck I froze immediately.

“Move again, and I will slit this through your neck,” he whispered lowly into my ear. A familiar stench fouled his breath as he spoke. Alcohol. He was drunk.

“Good job at catching her. She looks good,” said a guy who approached from the dark. Two others followed behind him.

“Come on, bring her to the motel!” the other two said in unison. And with that, the gang tried to lift me. Grabbing any part of me into the air. The knife wasn’t at my neck anymore so I tried to escape. But their grips on me were harsh. I screamed. I screamed as loud as I could.

“No one can hear you missy. We’re far out from any kind of civilization,” one of them said evilly. His voice was just filled with lust and it scared me. Tears started streaming down my cheeks. This is karma for making my family suffer. And I was sure, I would be dead by the time these men were done with me. Help. Please someone. I pleaded for help inwardly because I felt so helpless.

“PUT HER DOWN,” a stern voice said.