Never Let Me Go

Not Knowing

 

Dong Youngbae's POV:

Flashback

“Oppa! Don’t let me go! Don’t ever let me go!” squealed a five-year-old Yoona. It was her first time on the monkey bars and I promised to hold her hips the whole way through, in case she falls.

“I won’t Yoona. I never will. Come one, you’re almost there!” I encouraged her. Even is she was a little girl, there was enough power in her arms to swing herself towards the end. “You can do it, Yoona!”

She giggled as she tried her best, face set with determination. Se swung her arms, pulling herself forward every time. And when she did reach the end, she let go of the bars, falling into me as we hit the ground. She laughed aloud as she sat on me. I was of course groaning but her cheerful face made me forget the pain. I sat up once she got off me, still laughing.

“That was so cool! No wonder you love it so much,” she said. Her attention switched to the red colored slide. It was her favorite color. She ran towards it, suddenly having a pair of scissors in her hand. My eyes widen and I ran after her.

“Where did you get the scissors? Why do you have them?”

“You’re asking to many questions oppa. I’m just going to mark our memory here.”

“By carving into that slide? That’s vandalism!”

She smirked at me. She’s a rebel, even at the age of five. Her mischievousness has gotten us into tons of trouble but what is life without a little trouble, right? She sat behind the slide and started caving into it. I sat next to her, watching her steady hand at work.

DY Siblings

960605

Best day ever

I smiled when she was done. DY Siblings. She looked at me with wide eyes, “Oppa, you’ll never let me go right?”

 

End of flashback

I’m sorry I broke my promise, Yoona.  I sat on the swing of that very same playground. The intense amount of memories of this playground was weakening me. I realized that I had changed. That we had changed. We used to be inseparable. But until the day appa forced me into business school. My mindset about life and everything else changed.

I didn’t know where to start looking. But somehow, I was certain that this playground had some kind of answer. Taking a deep breath, I stood up, gathering as much courage as I could as I walked to the red slide. It looked a little bigger to my small self. Now, it seems so tiny. I crouched behind it, looking for Yoona’s carving. I slid my thumb against the cold surface of the slide, hoping to feel the roughness of the carving. And when I did feel it, I breathed a sigh of relief. I felt even happier when I found out there was something different about the carving.

Alone

121209

I wanted to cry due to the mixed emotions. This means she was here. I cleared my throat and stopped sobbing when my phone rang. Answering it without looking at the caller ID, I said, “Yoona?”

“I’m sorry, Mr. Dong but this is the police station. I’m Inspector Jung,” said the person on the other line. I should stop having high hopes.

“Oh. Annyeonghaseyo. Why are you calling me?” I asked politely.

“A driver was found dead by the roadside. His red truck was missing,” he answered.

“What does that have anything to with Yoona?” I relied, trying to control my confusion and anger.

“We found your sister’s purse nearby.”