Cooking with Kyuhyun

Cooking with Kyuhyun

 

Kyuhyun sighed as he left his laptop to go to the kitchen. He was in the middle of a rather intense game, but with Sungmin screaming his name and the fact that he was already losing (and quite badly), Kyuhyun decided it was best if he just went over.

He already knew what he was called over for, and Kyuhyun didn’t like it one bit. In fact, he didn’t see the need to even set foot in where Sungmin was. He was perfectly happy on the computer.

The reason he needed to go over to the kitchen was because of Sungmin and his odd need of collecting all the best smelling soaps, then learning all about them—literally.

“Kyu, I have to go to this convention in Japan; it’s all about the wonders of the many soap fragrances!” Sungmin had so excitedly exclaimed last week, and of course Sungmin said he had just needed to go for a whole week—it’s what all the other Soapiacs were doing (Kyuhyun didn’t know what in the Pokémon world that was), and he knew that if Sungmin didn’t get to go, he would need to put up with a load of Sungmin’s hurt, which was not on Kyuhyun’s to-do-list (not like anything else was on it besides gaming).

Now, Sungmin had just stated earlier that he would teach Kyuhyun to cook, just so they wouldn’t waste a bucket full of money on take-out pizza that only Kyuhyun would eat. Plus, Kyuhyun absolutely despised leftovers, so they’d probably just have a bunch of leftover pizzas in the fridge that absolutely no one would want to eat.

They had a rather heated argument about this, though Kyuhyun insisting that takeout food would be the healthiest option and Sungmin complaining that he didn’t want an unhealthy boyfriend wasn’t really an argument.

“Okay, how about microwaved food?” Sungmin had finally suggested in the end, and Kyuhyun had thrown his head back (not literally) in relief.

They finally found what could have somewhat been called a gray area, or perhaps more of a dark gray area in Kyuhyun’s opinion.

Except now, he was in the kitchen with a rather moody Sungmin wearing a bright pink frilly apron with My Melody on it and a large spatula in one hand, and Kyuhyun knew it’d be a rather odd— if not scary—cooking session, because he knew microwaved food didn’t require spatulas.

“So Kyu, do you have any experience with cooking?” Sungmin asked professionally, and Kyuhyun just laughed at the strangeness of it all, proceeding to then make Sungmin slap him lightly (hah, right, lightly) on the back of the head. “Let’s try that again—Kyuhyun, have you had any previous experiences with cooking?”

Kyuhyun rubbed the back of his head slowly as he genuinely thought, “I cooked some ham once, though I don’t know why, but I think I ruined it. I think I added sesame oil instead of cooking oil or something-“

Sungmin gasped dramatically as he flung his arms in the air and waved them around aimlessly, his spatula flying out of his hand and hitting the sink rather accurately, and Kyuhyun only wondered why Sungmin was his boyfriend in the first place; it was oddly embarrassing to even be near the small boy.

Sungmin walked casually to the fridge, pulling out a medium sized packet of what Kyuhyun could only think was the thing he was going to try to cook.

“This,” Sungmin explained, shoving the foreign object into Kyuhyun’s stubby hands. “This is a bag of microwave pasta. I’ve filled the fridge with bags of it, so that’ll be easy to cook and eat and, well, survive while I’m gone.”

“Uh—okay,” Kyuhyun mumbled, fumbling with the packet before oh-so-gracefully dropping it on the floor.

Of course you’d expect someone to immediately pick it up, but no—Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin first, and Sungmin gave him the pick-up-the-freaking-packet-and-stop-staring-at-me look, and Kyuhyun immediately bent over and picked it up, then being the rather awkward human being he was, he started to brush off what he probably though was the dirt from the packet.

“Oh would you just—Kyu, I just cleaned the floor a while ago, and it’s not the packet we’re eating!”

Kyuhyun stopped brushing it awkwardly then just turned to stare at Sungmin while pointing at the microwave.

“Five minutes, medium,” Sungmin instructed, and Kyuhyun rather happily set the settings to the correct places as he looked back down at the bag.

“Wait let me get a bowl,” Kyuhyun muttered, walking past Sungmin to try and find a bowl in the kitchen of the house that they had both been living in for three years, and Sungmin almost groaned at how Kyuhyun didn’t know where the bowls were, and also, he didn’t quite need them, and the timer was already ticking.

“Kyuhyun, you don’t need the bowl yet, just put it in the microwave!” Sungmin exclaimed loudly, watching a rather frantic Kyuhyun walk back and forth in the tiny kitchen.

Kyuhyun looked down at the packet, then back up at Sungmin. “I need to open it right?”

“No, just put it in the microwave,” Sungmin explained, groaning in annoyance with Kyuhyun’s lack of cooking skill. “Don’t open the packet.”

“But won’t the plastic melt?” Kyuhyun inquired, still fumbling around with the packet.

“Just put it in,” Sungmin deadpanned, but was shortly followed by a short chuckle from Kyuhyun which Sungmin just scoffed at, and shifted his weight to his left foot, placing his hands on his hips.

“That’s what she said,” Kyuhyun laughed before throwing the packet into the microwave with a disapproving grunt from Sungmin.

“Now, set it to medium,” Sungmin explained slowly.

Kyuhyun placed his finger on the dial and began to push it, and Sungmin just facepalmed.

“No, Kyu, you turn it.”

Kyuhyun’s mouth formed an ‘o’ shape in what might have been thought of as understanding, but everyone who has witnessed Kyuhyun try to work a microwave before knew better.

Sooner or later, Kyuhyun was grinning extremely wide, and the dial had come loose, but Kyuhyun thought it was fun to twirl.

“No, press it down then set it to medium,” Sungmin sighed, watching Kyuhyun kneel down slightly, because his height wasn’t going to help anyone, especially with the microwave being set at Sungmin’s height. “I swear, at this rate, the microwave will be broken before we know it.”

Sungmin suddenly widened his eyes and started clapping though, and a proud smile was plastered on Kyuhyun’s face as the dial finally tried to work with Kyuhyun, and set itself to medium.

“Okay, now set it for ten minutes, then close the door,” Sungmin explained slowly again, exaggerated hand motions that almost reminded Kyuhyun of Siwon.

Because for some odd reason, Kyuhyun had managed to do all of this on the first go, leading both of them to smiles, and Sungmin gave Kyuhyun an encouraging peck on the cheek.

“You know,” Sungmin began. “You’re worse than Hilda when there’s blueberry cheesecake soap.”

This then set Sungmin into a burst of giggles as Kyuhyun crouched down like a hunter, and stared into the microwave, not understanding what Sungmin meant, but not particularly want to understand either.

“Nine minutes left, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun announced in a rather posh voice, as if he were copying someone on the news.

“You’re not planning on watching that the whole time, are you, Kyu?” Sungmin asked in disbelief as he left the kitchen to go continue to pack. “It’s ten whole minutes, and the microwave will make a ding sound when it’s done. Don’t be an idiot.”

“It… will?” Kyuhyun muttered to no one in particular as his head perked up, but the timer changing to eight and a half minutes lured Kyuhyun back in to a trance of waiting.

Kyuhyun tried to get comfortable in his odd crouching position, and he then stared at the timer, finding the way the numbers changed intriguing.

The way it subtly flashed from 3 to 2, then to 1-

Ding!

“Minnie!” Kyuhyun screamed at the top of his lungs. “It’s ready!”

To say Kyuhyun was excited was an extreme understatement. He was beyond excited. This was the first meal he had cooked properly all by himself with no help, and he felt good.

Sungmin came in and looked over at Kyuhyun.

“Okay, now get a bowl.” He ordered, and Kyuhyun happily bobbed down to the place where the bowls were.

Taking out a pink porcelain bowl and placing it on the table, Sungmin visibly cringed at the sound.

“Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the sound of porcelain hitting a surface?” Sungmin sighed, frustrated, but nonetheless, turned his attention to Kyuhyun. “Okay, open the door.”

“The door… of the microwave,” Kyuhyun muttered for confirmation as Sungmin just nodded. “Okay.”

Kyuhyun pressed the button which seemed most like the button which would open the door, but he realized it wasn’t the right one when only the light .

“Kyu, that’s the light button. Try the big button at the bottom that says open.”

“Oh,” Kyuhyun muttered, pressing the open button, then immediately jumping back when the door flung open, and Sungmin started laughing when Kyuhyun released a small feminine scream.

“We should do this more often; it’s entertaining,” Sungmin giggled happily, and Kyuhyun just turned to glare at him.

“For you, maybe,” Kyuhyun sighed, turning off the light. “But not for me.”

They stood there awkwardly as Kyuhyun brought his hand up to the back of his neck.

“Uh, take the packet out.”

“Right,” Kyuhyun muttered, grabbing a pair of chopsticks before fumbling with the packet to pick it up with his chopsticks.

Since Kyuhyun obviously wasn’t going to drop it (do you sense the sarcasm here), he decided to take it out of the microwave using the chopsticks as well, and bear in mind it was a packet around the size of two of Yesung’s hands.

Kyuhyun’s chopsticks slipped (obviously) and the packet fell to the floor again, this time with an odd splattering noise.

Sungmin bent down this time, picking up the packet and staring at Kyuhyun with a bored expression.

“It’s not hot.”

“…Oh,” was all that Kyuhyun said before taking the packet out of Sungmin’s pretty little hand. “I knew that.”

“Sure you did,” Sungmin laughed with an upbeat feel in his voice as he rolled his eyes as Kyuhyun tore the packet open, and all the pasta pieces fell into the bowl.

Sungmin scoffed; it was burnt, even if it was just burnt a little bit. There were black marks on the side of each small pasta piece, and it looked almost inedible, but he couldn’t have said anything to the smiling Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun grabbed a fork and poked it into one of the pasta pieces before popping it into his mouth and smiling triumphantly.

“I did it Minnie,” He said, the happiness on his face radiating. His smile would’ve sent you on a forever journey through a rainbow of hope and wonder. “I really cooked a meal all by myself.”

Sungmin smiled, “Yes, yes you did.”

Because obviously it wasn’t just a microwaved meal, and Sungmin didn’t just instruct him through everything—no, of course not.

“Okay, so now we’ve got the pasta down,” Sungmin smiled. “You do know how to cook rice, right?”

Kyuhyun gulped.

“Maybe,”

 ‘Disgrace,’ Kyuhyun’s mind told him, ‘A disgrace to the entire Republic of Korea, and probably the whole of Asia.’

 

~

This is actually more boring than I expected it to be, so please tell me it wasn't boring.

And please comment. c: