CHAPTER 20

The Promise []

"Woah! Cake!" That was the first thing that came out of Kim Junsu's mouth as soon as he opened the door to his apartment to find that Jung Yunho was standing there with a box of cake in one hand and another pack of cookies on the other.

"Yah! Can't you even acknowledge the person bringing the cake?" Yunho replied as he entered Junsu's apartment. The other's gaze still locked on the box that the other was holding.

Junsu let out a loud chuckle that echoed around the whole room. He wasn't actually sure but seeing Yunho annoyed (or maybe jealous?) over a layer of cake is funny. And he just couldn't help but stare at the box. He's really hungry after all. And he blames it on his caregiver slash best friend, Park YooChun who only fed him with a bowl of cereals. Not to mention that he ate it with no milk. Imagine, eating a bowl full of cereals without milk? How would that sound or more likely..taste?

Junsu smiled widely as he grabbed the box of cake from Yunho's hold.

"Yah..." Yunho whined softly but he stopped as soon as he saw Junsu placing the box of cake on the coffe table and turned to him, still with that sweet smile plastered on his face.

And within a second, in a blink of an eye, and as he inhaled for air, Yunho was crushed and was enveloped into a warm hug. A hug he got accustomed to but just this time, he felt that there was just something in it that was really different and special.

"I missed you, Yun" Junsu confessed as he snuggled closer to Yunho's chest

The taller man smiled when he heard this and he returned the hug. Running his hands up and down Junsu's spine, it was not really a thing that he used to do but he just felt of doing it this time, he replied and whispered on Junsu's ear "I've missed you too, Su"

They both remained like that for a moment. They just wanted to feel each other's warmth. Both of them just wanted to know that they're there for each other. They wanted to feel a confirmation in the hug that they're sharing, a confirmation that they will never leave each other no matter what happens.  

When they let go of each other, Junsu grabbed Yunho's hand and snatched the box of cake from the coffee table and headed for the kitchen.

Yunho settled himself on one of the chairs of the dining table. He watched with his full attention as Junsu roamed around the kitchen looking for something. He'd go to one place and then to the other. Smiling, he was glad that Junsu's fine and nothing bad happened to him.

For a second, he tore his gaze from the other man as he noticed something in front of him. Curiosities got the best of him and he can't help but ask;

"Su, why is there a cactus here?"

Junsu turned around and raised a brow "Oh that cactus was supposed to be in my office but I decided to take it home. It's safer here." Junsu made his way to the sink before continuing "Don't you remember Yun? I told you about that cactus. It was Jae Joong who gave it to me when we first met"

Nodding, Yunho replied "Yeah, now that you said it, I remember..." Playfully, he shook his head "I can't believe this cactus survived in your hands"

"Yah! What are you trying to imply? I do know how to take care of plants, you know" Junsu defensively said as he dried his hands with a towel

Yunho just smiled, the kind of smile of his that says 'just kidding'

"But you have to admit, that cactus' really cute. I wonder where Jae Joong got that thing"

"Yeah, I do too" Yunho stared at the cactus for a good moment.

Deciding to drop the topic, Yunho opened a new one.

"So tell me, how was your life in the hospital?" he asked teasingly

Junsu made a face before reaching for a knife "I was glad that I was asked to stay there for a night. But if I had to stay there for a week or so, I would really throw a tantrum"

"Was YooChun a good company?"

"Always been. And not just a good one but a great one" Junsu replied as a smile tug on his lips

Yunho noticed the way Junsu said that sentence. There was a hint of admiration and adoration in his voice. It sounded as if....

"Yah.. why is this strawberry?" Junsu frowned as he took the cake out of the box and stared at it with a pout. His gaze then turned to Yunho who was sitting 2 chairs away from him.

Yunho just shrugged "We ran out of chocolate cake today. Maybe, I should have told DongHae earlier to save one"

"You should have" Junsu said, not sure if he was being stern or not. He placed the cake on the table and turned his back as he walked over to the cabinets’ just right above the sink.

Yunho was about to say sorry and would then add that he did brought a bag of cookies for Junsu. But then, he paused as he stared at Junsu's back. He did take note that Junsu wasn't the chubby or the skinny type but after the incident on where fainted, he got skinnier. And Yunho, who was glad earlier started to feel a bit worried.

"What's with that look?... Yunho, I was just kidding" Junsu said as he waved his hand in front of Yunho's face, laughing lightly.

Yunho snapped out of his trance as he looked up to find Junsu holding two plates. "You're going to eat the cake?"

Junsu nodded as he walked over to the cake and was starting to slice it "Yeah, just to try strawberry cake for the first time. And I should eat more. Don't wanna have ulcer here. But I still have to remain y" Junsu winked as he giggled at his own statement

Yunho let out a snicker "I did bring it here for a change. I know you don't like strawberry cake but I tell you it's really tasty"

"Yeah right. Because you made it, huh?"

"No, because it's true. It's really tasty"

Junsu giggled again "To tell you, the reason that I don't like strawberry cake is because of its color. I'm not fond of pink"

Smiling goofily, Yunho said "Aaaahhh. That’s good to hear. I thought you're going to say that the reason you don't like strawberry cakes is because of strawberry shortcake"

Junsu rolled his eyes and just stuck his tongue out as he handed Yunho a slice of strawberry cake before taking a seat by the lad's side.

"Do you want something to drink?" Junsu asked as he was about to stand up but Yunho stopped him

"Something's bothering you, what is it?"

Junsu wouldn't call Yunho a mind reader but maybe he could consider him a genius (besides from the fact that he makes the most mouth-watering pastries and cakes ever). He knew well that Yunho got accustomed to his actions and the way he feels, to the point that he'll know when there's something that's bothering Junsu. And he can't blame the other man for that. But he was really planning on telling Yunho about something in the first place.

"You know, every time we eat cake together, you always prepare everything before slicing the cake and taking a seat"

Junsu smiled. Ooops! Just a simple wrong move and Yunho smells something fishy.

"Okay, you got me" Junsu sighed defeatedly

"So what do you want to tell me?"

Junsu heaved out a sigh as he looked down on his shoes. He tried to look at Yunho again but he just decided not to. To make sure that he wouldn't stutter and make things clear for Yunho to understand.

"You know how much I care and how much I love YooChun, right?"

Yunho nodded his head as he placed a hand on top of Junsu's which was still but a bit shaky on the latter's lap "Yes. You two are the best of friends, Su"

Junsu managed to stretch out a faint smile "And you know well that we both hated his father. Well, most likely, it was YooChun who had a real grudge on his father. I just hated his father because of what he did to my best friend and I can't forgive him"

Junsu fidgeted a bit on his seat and Yunho waited for the smaller man to continue with what he's going to tell him.

"You know, it's really weird. Just few weeks ago, YooChun saw his Dad and he cried like a helpless baby that I didn't know of what should I do to calm him down" Junsu bit his lip. It wasn't because he doesn't know of what to say next but it was of the fact that he's making this a bit longer. Why couldn't he just go straight to the point?

"Take your time, Su. I'll be listening"

"I saw Mr. Park at the hospital when I was charged off. I was relieved, mad and sad when I saw that face of his. Good thing that Chun wasn't around" Junsu shook his head from side to side "But I just can't understand. When I saw him, he looked just like YooChun when he was crying like there's going to be no tomorrow. He was so helpless, Yun.... That I had to place all of my hate and everything that I had against him, away."

"YooChun's father is sick?" Yunho tried asking as politely as he could and he inched closer to Junsu

"That, I'm not sure yet. I have to go and visit him. Maybe, tomorrow? I..." Junsu paused "promised him"

Well, it was not really a promise. But Junsu did told YooChun's father that he was going to return.

"You want me to you?" When Junsu nodded in response, Yunho added "And you don't want YooChun knowing about this at all, am I right?"

Junsu looked up and Yunho half expected that Junsu's going to cry "Yes. And please, don't let him know or else he'll hate me..."

And before Junsu could break down and cry, Yunho managed to embrace him.

Junsu pressed his face to Yunho's chest, loving the other's warmth. With a muffled voice, he said "Thank you, Yun. Thank you very much..."

"Your welcome, Su. You're very welcome"

*****

"Mr. Park, you have visitors" A nurse said as soon as she opened the door. The lady clad in white stepped aside as a slim figure entered and another tall man entered with him.

The door then slowly closed as the nurse excused herself, leaving the three people in the room all alone.

"Good Morning, Mr. Park. It's me, Junsu and this.." Junsu motioned with his hand "is Jung Yunho"

Yunho greeted the old man with a smile and a soft Hello.

YooChun's Father just stared at them. His cracked lips didn't move and the wrinkles on his face didn't even twitch. But his eyes remained still on one figure. And that is on Kim Junsu.

Junsu cleared his throat "Oh, We've brought some fruits Mr. Park" he waved the basket of fruits in the air and he carefully placed them on a table.

An eerie silence followed and Junsu couldn't open his mouth to talk about something else. He turned to Yunho silently asking for help. The taller man just looked at him giving him the look 'I don't know Su, sorry'.

"Did you.. Did you bring tea? You said that.." YooChun's father trailed off as he looked up to find Junsu smiling

"I'll never forget that, Mr. Park" Junsu took out a tumbler from another basket that he brought and poured its contents on three cups

Giving a cup to the old man and then to Yunho, Junsu took his seat on a chair near the bed.

Inhaling the tea's scent and taking a sip, YooChun's father grinned "It's been a long time since I had some good tea" He settled the cup on his lap as he turned his gaze to Junsu "Would it be alright if I could talk to you... alone?"

Junsu turned around to look at Yunho and hesitantly he said "I don't know..."

"No, it's fine. I'll be just right outside if you need me" Yunho waved a hand as he stood up and placed the cup of tea on his seat

"Yunho.."

"It was nice meeting you Mr. Park" Yunho bowed and he gave Junsu a smile before going out

"It was nice meeting you too boy"

When Yunho was out of sight and only Junsu and YooChun's father were left, some eerie tense was all over the room. And Junsu had to gulp hard in order for his nervousness to vanish.

"Was that your boyfriend?" the old man inquired, taking another sip of his tea

Junsu lowered his head "We're just good friends in good terms. We're still.."

"Oh, I see. He hadn't courted you or.. How do you kids say it these days? hmm.. He hadn't asked you out?" There was softness and tenderness in the old man's voice. Which Junsu hadn't heard for years?

"Yes, I guess you could say that. Yunho's a very good friend and of course, your son is a good.. no, I mean, YooChun is a great friend of mine" Junsu blushed

And before Junsu could utter another word, something just hit him. "Wait! You know that I'm gay?"

Mr. Park let out a hearty laugh. A laugh which Junsu never witnessed in the old man but it sort of reminds him of YooChun.

"I'm not the silly old man you think I am. Of course, I know! I can't even believe that my son turned gay for you"

Junsu smiled. Not fully listening and knowing what the old man just said "You do know that my son is gay, right Junsu-ah?"

Nodding, Junsu answered "I do know, Mr. Park. He's actually very happy right now with his boyfriend whose name is Jae Joong"

The statement suddenly made Junsu's heart ache and something inside him was very awkward and he can't really explain it well.

"You don't know, do you?"

Junsu snapped out of his reverie to look at the old man questioningly "What do you mean?"

YooChun's father pressed his lips together as he finally realized something "You and YooChun never got together?"

"No. We never did. Why would we? We're best friends" Junsu replied but shock could be seen all over his face

The old man let out a sigh "Do you know the reason why I was beating my son YooChun?"

Junsu pondered for a moment but he sure has an answer for that "You were always drunk and sober. And you beat YooChun because you're angry and..."

"No, besides from that.. There's something else.."

"Something else?" Junsu repeated as he held his cup of tea tightly

"Yes, I had another reason for beating my own son. It wasn't just because I was drunk and mad and that I hated the fact that his mother left me. It was painful for a father to find out that... that..."

Tears we're threatening to escape from the old man's eyes and he didn't forced himself to blink it away.

Junsu understood what he was trying to say. "You couldn't accept that YooChun was gay..." he said, finishing the old man's sentence

YooChun's father nodded "And it was because of you"

Junsu's heart thumped "I didn't influence your son to become gay. I.. just noticed that he was since we're friends.. And.."

Mr. Park turned his gaze towards the window. The sun was shining so beautifully and trees swayed in rhythm with the wind. Birds chased and played with each other. It would have been a good day for a walk.

"I know that, Junsu-ah. You didn't influence my son to become gay. I knew that he was one before he met you. I was just denying that fact to myself and I'd always believed that he'll change when he grows up. But he decided to go out of the closet when the two of you became close. It might not be obvious to some people that he was a queer but as his father; I knew that he'd made his decision. And as his father, I was against it"

Junsu just remained silent the whole time. He kept his mouth shout and he didn't want to say a single word. He knew something was up but he's not sure. The way Mr. Park said all of those things, there was something behind it. And when he'll know about that 'something' he's not quite sure if he's going to like it or not.

"I couldn't blame him. It was his choice" Mr. Park urged on "But I just want him to be like any other normal teenage boy. I don't want him to be.. Gay. I just wanted what's best for him"

"But beating him wasn't good" Junsu managed to speak out "And it definitely was not the best for him"

"I know that. But I was a drunken man back then. I was not on my proper mind... If only YooChun's mother was around that time, she should have known of what to do. I was never good at parenting and never will be. Even up until now, my son still hates me"  

Junsu was about to say something but he halted as soon as he saw the tears that clouded Mr. Park's eyes. "And you know what Junsu-ah? It did hurt me when he chose to be with you than with me. I know that YooChun only wanted to live a peaceful life. I could have changed.. I could have been a good father. And when I decided to be one, my son has left me"

"Mr. Park..." Junsu reached out his hand to touch the old man's. And hot tears were forming on the inside of his eyes. "I'm sure YooChun will forgive you. Why don't we tell him that you're here? Maybe you both could settle things out. That sounds good, hmmm?"

The old man shook his head and sniffed "No. I can't face YooChun. I'm sure that he'll be happy once he finds out that I'm sick and that I'm dying"

Junsu's grip on the old man's hand tightened a bit "Don't say that! I'm sure YooChun will find a way to forgive you. No child wants to see either of his parents dying. And not you, Mr. Park. Without you, YooChun wouldn't have continued to live.. Though you've been beating him but you cared for him, right? Right, Mr. Park?..." Junsu bit his lip "You loved him, you loved your son, don't you Mr. Park?"

He couldn't hold it any longer and Junsu bursted out crying in front of the man that he hated for so long. But now, scratch that out. Mr. Park was the man he once hated...

Junsu could feel a hand on his shoulder and he tried to get rid of his tears as he looked up to find YooChun's father smiling at him softly "Now, I understand why my son had loved you very much Junsu-ah. Now, I know why he has fallen in love with you"

Junsu could feel that time stopped as he heard those words. From the pit of his stomach up towards his throat, he could feel a lump forming. He wanted to hear that again just to make sure that he heard the right thing. Junsu could feel that his world is turning upside down. Did he hear it right? Was it true? No, it must be a dream. It can't be true.

But as much as Junsu hates it, reality finally hit him.

"I know that you haven't figured it out" YooChun's father gave Junsu's shoulder a light squeeze "And I have the feeling that you should know. YooChun decided to come out of the closet because he loved you so much Junsu-ah. He was so in love with you. I figured it out myself when I found you two sitting at a bench and talking to each other like good old friends. But I noticed, the way he looks at you was different, the way he'd touch you, laugh and smile at you was totally different. And that was the time I find out that my son loves you. YooChun loves you more than a friend"

Junsu remained silent. He couldn't move. He finds it hard to breath. He feels dizzy. He feels like suffocating. He wants to get out of here. He wants to...

"I have to go, Mr. Park. I just..." Junsu stood up from his seat, shaking as if he'd just seen a ghost "I need to go"

The old man just looked at him and he knows well that what he just said brought a great big deal of shock to the younger man. The expression in his eyes and the sweat that keeps on rolling down from his forehead proves it.

"I understand.. Well then, it was nice of you to pay me a visit Junsu-ah. You're welcome here anytime" YooChun's father said with a smile. A real smile.

"Thank you.." Were the only words Junsu could utter before he bowed and headed for the door.

When Junsu got out of the room, he found Yunho sitting quietly at one of the benches in the waiting area. He walked over to him and not long he found the taller man standing before him, smiling.

"So how'd it go?"

Junsu forced a smile "It turned out good. I just want to go home. I don't feel so good"

"Su? Are you feeling sick? You're sweating like mad.." Yunho said, his voice full of concern

"I just want to rest Yun. Maybe, I should have.. just stayed home today"

"Okay, we'll go home" Yunho grabbed Junsu's hand as he led the way out of the hospital.

The ride back to Junsu's apartment was so quiet. Yunho wanted to open a conversation but something inside him just said no. He continued to focus on the road as he drives but from the corner of his eyes, he sensed that something was wrong. Something was really wrong.

When they reached Junsu's aparment, Yunho was about to enter but Junsu stopped him.

"I'm sorry Yun.. I just.. I.."

Yunho knew something was up and something happened during Junsu's talk with YooChun's father.

"I understand.." The taller man sighed “But call me if you need me, okay?"

Junsu nodded his head "I will. I'm really sorry Yun..."

Yunho just gave Junsu a smile and a soft pat on the shoulder before walking away.

When he closed the door, Junsu could feel that the walls are about to crumble down on him. He slid down to the floor as the tears he'd been holding back from the ride flowed down from his eyes.

'YooChun loves you more then a friend'

Mr. Park's words echoed in his head and in his whole apartment.

Junsu yelled on the top of his lungs as he banged and banged his fist against the wooden door. Tears continuously flowed down from his eyes then to his cheeks before he slide down to the floor. He wailed and cried and screamed like his out of his wits. Curling his self like a fetus he continued to sob. He just need some time to think. He needs space to think. He just wants to be alone.

As he continued to sob on the floor, soft wind brushed against his face, drying his tears a bit. And questions popped in his head as hot tears replaced the dry ones.

Why did he have to find out about the truth?

Why now?