Thank You

이러지마 체발

 

Yongguk jolted out of his seat as soon as he felt someone breathed down his neck and he stared into the darkness, sweating like a sinner in church.

The other members stared at him in surprise at his sudden movement as he whirled around in the darkness.

Hyung...”

Who's there?” Yongguk rasped, his eyes unusually wide, “show yourself!

Hyung, what...”

Then, he saw her again.

He fell back against the others as she bloomed out from within the darkness, shivering with cold and clutching something in her hands. She looked dazed by the ray from Youngjae's cellphone, but she said nothing. Zelo and Daehyun's eyes had widened in terror at her entrance and the others had frozen in their seats.

She stared at them, but only saw Yongguk.

Then, tears fell from her eyes which remained as black as the night. Her lips parted, but nothing came out from . Her chest heaved as she gulped and wept, standing there like a child abandoned in the rain.

Then, Yongguk finally understood.

He didn’t go on after reaching the pavement, as he would have done normally.

Anytime from now, he would’ve walked straight into TS Building without the time nor the reason to stop, but today, something held him back.

As though there were strings bonded to his limbs and neck, his own sight drawn to the other side of the road.

Had he had turned to TS Building in his dream, he would have seen himself walk away from the scene towards TS Building, earphones jammed into his ears and his fingers tapping the rhythm against his own trousers, without the realization of what that had just happened behind him.

She was holding something against her own chest, as though trying to hide her heart pounding along with the excitement etched on her attractive features; now clear to view as it was free of dirt and scars.

She had wanted to give him something in return.

He watched as she looked to the left, and then to the right, her neck turning completely every time she changed directions in viewing the traffic.

It looked strange.

Something wasn’t right.

Her left eye had been blinded by her step-father.

Unconsciously, he felt himself walk towards her, and in his mind, he counted his own steps.

One.

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five...

The girl stared up at him in a mixture of surprise and discomfort. Then, he reached out and wrapped his arms around her.

He saw her stiffen, but didn't feel it.

He couldn't feel her.

But he never let go.

He stood there for a little while, his arms around the body he couldn't feel...

Then, he felt her.

She was shivering, and cold at the flesh.

His eyes stinging, he pulled her closer and let their chests touch. Tears trailed down as he apologized into her ear in shushed whispers.

I'm sorry I didn't turn around.

As though in a dream, he felt her body warm up, and small hands wrapped around his own back. He heard her cry, but he didn't let go.

"Never..." a small voice said and he held her tight.

I will never blame you,” she whispered, “because all I wanted to say was 'Thank you'.”

Then say it.” Yongguk said softly, as though to a lover, “say it and be at peace.”

The girl smiled.

Thank you... oppa.”

Something warm touched at his heart and...

Then, she was gone.

Yongguk fell forwards as he felt the emptiness in his grip, and his crying increased.

The other members rushed forwards and Him Chan wrapped his arms around their leader. Clutched against his chest, Yongguk saw that the girl had left him his old scarf he had used to help her, which she had mended perfectly.

The lights went back on again, but the girl had gone home for good.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you for everything...

Oppa.