The Truth

이러지마 체발

 

Youngjae sat at the round table uncomfortably, sensing the tenseness of the older members. Daehyun and Zelo were, as usual, stuffing their faces with food, whilst Jong Up, like him, was picking at his food, and watching Him Chan and Yongguk nervously.

The dining room was empty except for them as Jiima had went back to her cabin behind the manor despite B.A.P's invitation to letting her stay in the house for a change. The chandelier above the dining table had been lighted with candles and shadows played gloomily at the walls. The ambiance was strange, but the food appetizing. However, both twenty-two-year-olds were sitting at their seats with the expressions of one by the side of a deathbed.

Finally, unable to take it any more, Him Chan set down his chopsticks.

I need to tell you guys something, about this house.” he said, his already pale face bleaching as he felt their attention fall on him attentively. Yongguk could sense his fear and he looked up as well.

It's got to do with Yongguk's stalker.”

Everyone's chopsticks clattered onto their bowls and there were collective intakes of breath. Everyone had turned pale.

Hyung, I think we should talk about this later.” Zelo said uncertainly but Yongguk had leaned forwards.

It's alright, go on.”

Him Chan turned to him, his eyes wider than usual and his limbs were shaking.

The founder of this house...” he said weakly, “is the stalker's great-grandfather.”

The candles above them went out.

*

The house was all dark.

Completely dark.

The doors were shut and bolted.

The windows locked and chained.

All, except one.

The one in the kitchen.

A small figure breathed heavily as she tread through the forest, shivering with cold and clutching something in her hands. She looked up at the window and then at Jiima's cabin.

The lights in the hut were out as well.

Then, she smiled.

*

What do you mean?” Yongguk demanded, staring at the face of Him Chan that was being illuminated by the light shining from Youngjae's cell. Him Chan and Daehyun were shivering with cold and Jong Up placed an arm around Daehyun.

Jiima told me just now,” Him Chan's teeth managed, “that the latest owner of the house – a small town politician lost this bungalow due to a scandal. His wife was the granddaughter of the founder of the house. She had one daughter and remarried the politician so that he would save the family business from crumbling. She didn't say too much, but I searched it up on the web. It's stated in Wikipedia as one of the greatest scandals in South Korea.”

The others had went ghostly still, and were staring at the second-eldest member with parted mouths.

And what did you get?” Zelo muttered, as though not completely willing to learn the truth.

The politician was removed from the board when they learnt through a lawsuit by his wife's sister that he had been and beating his step-daughter and keeping her locked in a wardrobe. He'd kept her like that for months before one of the maids – whom I suspect being Jiima, released her and let her escape with a train ticket to Seoul.” Yongguk felt himself turn cold as he went on, “She had roamed the streets for days without any money before a civillian helped her by giving her sufficient money to find her aunt, the one who filed the lawsuit, for help. The stepfather had been sued under the charge of and abuse, as the daughter's left eye had been blinded due to the beatings. The aunt adopted her after winning the case and they'd lived in Seoul together since until she died in a car crash a few months later on one of the streets on Yeouido.” He turned to look at Yongguk, who had turned completely white.

Right outside TS Building.” he gasped.

Haa...

Then, he heard the breathing again.