The First Encounter

이러지마 체발

 

The doorbell buzzed and Zelo went to the door abruptly.

What took you?” he asked as he stared at the skimpy packages in Yongguk's arms. He had left for new socks two hours ago, and the others had just been discussing whether to call their manager. Yongguk grunted in reply moodily and the members looked at one another meaningfully.

She was downstairs in front of the elevator,” Yongguk said and the other members exchanged dark looks.

You should call the police,” Youngjae told him and he laughed hollowly.

I can't turn in every fan that follows me around, it'll make me seem like a wimp,” he went to the refridgerator and pulled out a Mountain Dew, “besides, I asked my manager before, he said I wouldn't have a case.”

Just then, he stared out of the window as he downed a mouthful of the sour liquid.

He sprayed it out straight into Him Chan's shirt and the other member gave a disgusted yell.

MAH!”

Hyung, are you all right?” Daehyun asked, choking back laughter as the others watched Him Chan hop around the room, screaming in disgust. Yongguk said nothing; he just stared out of the window. Daehyun strode forwards and turned to look out of the window as well.

She was standing next to the pool, staring right up into their window with a meaningful smile.

*

It was two years before Yongguk's debut, and he was walking home from the studio that night. The alley he took as a shortcut back to the dormitories he shared with the other members of B.A.P was dimly lighted and the sky was pitch-black, and the Moon was strangely out of sight. He slung his backpack over his shoulder and hummed to himself as he walked with even footsteps down the lane, betraying anything but uneasiness. Silence was cheap, and he liked it as a change from the stereotype bustling at the TS Base, from the inane managers calling, rap practices and scratchy vocals to trainers yelling and blaring stereos. The day had ended finally with silence, and he intended to savor it.

Even if I walk this road by myself for a bit, I will show you my everything,” he hummed on as he stared at the road ahead care-freely. Just then...

She appeared.

A dirty little figure appeared in front of him, her eyes wild and her flesh pale and he backed away, startled. She extended bleeding hands and when she spoke, her whole body trembled.

Please,” she stammered unintentionally as Yongguk recovered from his shock, “may I have some money?” She addressed him, but her eyes were staring someplace else, as though she could see what he could not. Her eyes were eerily dark and empty, but her voice clearly indicated ailment.

Yongguk stayed with his back against the wall for a moment, stunned, and when his heartbeat regularized, he snapped back onto Earth at once.

My Gawd,” he whispered, “you're bleeding!” he strode forwards and held up her arm, so that he could see the scratches along her ghostly flesh. The contrast of red against white was so brilliant that he had to squint even in the night. He quickly pulled out his water bottle and poured all its contents onto the girl's hands. She gave a little yelp as the water trickled over her wounds, stinging her slightly, but Yongguk held her arms well, in case she withdrew them. Then, he pulled off the scarf around his neck and ripped it in half, to the girl's amazement.

He winded each half around her arm and pushed his wallet towards her.

Take it, there's only 50,000 won in there, go eat something.” he said gently.

She stared up at him, her eyes terrified.

I-I...”

Just take it, and go see a doctor.” he ruffled up her hair. Her terrified gaze turned emotional and she wrapped her shaking arms around his waist.

Thank you...”

Thank you...

*

[PRESENT]

 

Yongguk burst into the station, panting heavily, ignoring the startled stares of the officers working within. His knees dropped to the floor, and he placed both hands on his temples. Sweat trickled down his veins that throbbed around his head, and he gasped for air as his limbs shivered.

"Help me..." he murmured desperately, yet his voice could barely exceed the required pitch, “someone please...”

Make her stop.

Make her stop following me...