First Audition

Learning to Shine

Myungsoo stared up at the intimidating building with a feeling of dread setting in his stomach. He had called the company two days ago, and they asked him to come in for a test photo shoot and wanted him to recite a monologue from his play as well. He knew the monologue so well he could probably say it in his sleep, but he never performed it for a few people in a small room like he was sure he’d have to do now. But he wasn’t going to take this chance for granted. He had spent so long convincing himself that nothing could go wrong that he finally admitted to himself this was his dream. And since this was his dream, nothing was going to stop him from marching into that building and auditioning.

 

Well, nothing would stop him once he found the courage to go because at the moment, fear was stopping him.

 

“Are we just going to watch you stand here or what?”

 

Myungsoo turned to glare at Woohyun. Originally, the teen wanted to come by himself so if he failed he could hide and sulk or if he wanted to take his time, like he was, he wouldn’t be annoyed. However, all his friends had a different idea and were at his apartment at the break of dawn. Even Hoya, who was supposed to be at home watching Jinyoung since Big Bang was abroad, dragged the child out at seven in the morning. Though, Jinyoung wasn’t too excited about that and was currently asleep on Hoya’s back.

 

“I still have a few minutes before I need to be inside, let me breathe.” Myungsoo glared. He arrived early for this very purpose, to give himself time to calm his nerves before walking through those intimidating, glass doors. But his friends didn’t like that idea.

 

“Myung, you always do great.” Sunggyu walked over to his boyfriend and ested a hand on his shoulder, “You’ve got this if it’s what you really want.”

 

“What if I don’t do well?” Myungsoo pouted and pulled his boyfriend close enough to rest his head on the older’s shoulder.

 

Sunggyu pulled away, “Myungsoo you need to learn to believe in yourself.”

 

“Myungsoo we all know you’ve got this.” Dongwoo added helpfully. “You’re a natural. Didn’t you say there was a photo shoot? You’re attractive, they’ll love you.”

 

“Yeah, even if you bomb at acting and forget all the words, at least you’re pretty.” Sungyeol joked.

 

Myungsoo momentarily forgot about how nervous he was as he ran after his friend, yelling curses and trying to hit the lanky butthead.

 

The two ran around for a few minutes while the older ones looked on with laughter. Sometimes a distraction could be helpful. However, when Myungsoo chased Sungyeol into Hoya, nearly tipping the dancer over, they knew it was time to stop before someone got hurt.

 

“Okay.” Dongwoo got Myungsoo’s attention by putting a hand on each of the younger’s shoulders. “You’ll do great. You’re going to march in there and show them how awesome you are. We’ll all be waiting in the café across the street. But don’t worry about us, just take your time.”

 

Myungsoo nodded, suddenly feeling touched. All his friends really cared about him and really wanted him to make it, and that made him want to accomplish his dream even more.

 

“L?” A voice unfamiliar to everyone in the group called out. The boys all turned to spot a beautiful boy, probably younger than all of them, standing by the door with a smile on his face. “You’re L, right?”

 

“Sungjong.” Myungsoo recognized after a moment, it was the boy who came to the play. The lemon candy boy. “What are you doing here?”

 

“I work here,” The younger boy laughed. “I take it you’re here for an audition?”

 

Myungsoo nodded, “Yeah, just working the courage to go inside.”

 

“Aren’t you going to introduce us to your friend?” Woohyun came up with a greasy smile, not paying any attention to Myungsoo. “Hey, I’m Woohyun.”

 

“And I’m a guy.” Sungjong retorted, making everyone else laugh.

 

Woohyun just shrugged, “That doesn’t change anything.”

 

Sungjong rolled his eyes, “Okay, whatever you say.” He then turned towards Myungsoo, “So are you ready to come in? I can take you to Yunho hyung.”

 

Myungsoo looked back at everyone and gave them an uneasy smile. “Well, I guess I can’t put it off any longer. I’ll see you later.”

 

They all wished him good luck, Sunggyu even reached over to fluff his hair. Though, Myungsoo wished he could get a good luck kiss like in the dramas, but Sunggyu barely even kissed him in front of their friends, there was no way the older would do it in public.

 

“Come on,” Sungjong grabbed Myungsoo’s arm, “Let’s go.”

 

Myungsoo followed the younger boy into the building and through the large foyer. This place had marble floors and walls decorated with posters of actors and a few singers. Yeah, he was right to be afraid of this place. It was scary.

 

But Sungjong seemed to be at home in the big building and walked by the receptionist with a cheerful greeting and straight to the elevators. “So, are you excited?”

 

“No, nervous.” Myungsoo picked at the bottom of his shirt. He then looked in the reflective elevator walls at his clothes. Maybe he should have dressed in something nicer than black pants and a black and white plaid shirt. “Do you think my outfit is okay?”

 

Sungjong burst out into laughter. “You look great, don’t worry. And if you act like you did on stage, there’s no way they’ll say no.”

 

Somehow Sungjong made him feel more at ease, more so than all of his friends combined. Though, that could have been because Sungjong had done all this before and now worked for the company. If the younger said his outfit was good, then his outfit was good.

 

In the blink of an eye, Myungsoo was in front of a door marked Jung Yunho. Myungsoo took a deep breath and knocked on the door. He felt like he was about to go crazy until he heard the man’s voice usher him inside.

 

“Oh, L, there you are. I didn’t get a call from the receptionist, that’s weird. If I had known I would have gone down there to pick you up.” Yunho stood up and grabbed a folder off his desk.

 

“I ran into Sungjong outside,” Myungsoo informed him. “He led me here.”

 

“That rascal, always getting his nose stuck in everything,” Yunho chuckled affectionately. “Now if you’ll follow me I’ll take you to the studio to meet the big guys.”

 

Big guys? Myungsoo thought to himself as he followed the older man. Maybe that meant Yunho was introducing him to the CEO of the company or maybe a talent scout. Were these guys going to be scarier than Yunho?

 

Finally after navigating some halls and riding the elevator, they ended up in a large room with raised ceilings, an area for a photo shoot on one side, and a wall full of mirrors and what looked like a makeup counter on the other. And in middle of it all was a group of four men talking amongst themselves, laughing. They seemed very nice, something Myungsoo wasn’t expecting.

 

“Guys, he’s here.” Yunho called out.

 

As Myungsoo looked at the men who were now looking at him, he realized they had to be important. These guys were much older, probably around the age of his dad. They had to be at least ten years older than Yunho, maybe twenty. And now, as they stared at him, they didn’t look so nice. They looked so serious that Myungsoo would never have thought these were the same people who were just laughing.

 

“Alright guys, this is L. L, these four will decide whether you make it or not.” Yunho said casually, as if Myungsoo’s future didn’t ride on this. “This is Kim Jongwan, he’s CEO. Lee Jaekyung, you won’t be dealing much with him, he’s in charge of artists. Then our modeling head, Lee Junghoon, who you’ll probably work with some because of your face. And finally the real man you need to impress today, Jung Jaewon.”

 

“Nice to meet you all,” Myungsoo bowed and tried his hardest not to shake. The four whispered something to each other for a few seconds, but then they turned back to him.

 

“We need to get you in front of a camera. But first, let’s fix your face,” Junghoon dragged Myungsoo over to the counter that was covered in makeup supplies. The teenager just sat back as the man worked makeup magic, turning his normal face into a face with sharp eyes and flawless skin. As he was doing this, the others followed and began to ask him questions.

 

“Can you sing?” Jaekyung jumped up to sit on a free part of the counter.

 

“I don’t think so,” Myugsoo shrugged, trying his best not to move his face as Junghoon applied foundation. “But my brother seems to like it. But then again he’s five so I don’t think he’s the best judge of talent.”

 

“Sing something.” The man in charge of artists smiled brightly.

 

“What?” Myungsoo was not prepared for this. “Now?”

 

“Yes.”

 

The first song that popped into Myungsoo’s head was the one Sunggyu sang to him two nights ago. He did his best to imitate Sunggyu’s soft voice and not get poked with the eyeliner pencil at the same time.

 

“Not bad,” Jaekyung nodded, “With a little bit of work you could release an album.”

 

“What?” Myungsoo turned his head to look at the man, resulting in Junghoon smearing eyeliner across his temple.

 

“Look what you made me do!” Myungsoo flinched at the shout, but when he slowly looked up at the man doing his makeup, he noticed that his reprimand was directed at Jaekyung. “I was almost finished, too!”

 

“Not my fault, he’s got a nice voice.” Jaekyung smiled. “You heard it, too.”

 

Junghoon rolled his eyes at his friend and grabbed a wipe from the table to clean Myunsoo’s temple.

 

Suddenly a flash went off right in front of Myungsoo’s face, making him recoil at the brightness. He was seeing spots as the CEO, Jongwan, chuckled, “That’s going to make a good picture.”

 

“So,” Jaewon came over and sat next to Jaekyung on the counter, “How long have you been acting?”

 

“Actually this show was my first.” Myungsoo admitted.

 

“And Yunho brought you in?” Jaewon looked surprised, “Wow, you must be good.”

 

“You said you have a brother?” Jongwan suddenly asked as Junghoon applied the finishing touches on Myungsoo’s face. “How old?”

 

“Five.” Myungsoo responded. “He’s actually across the street with some friends of mine right now.”

 

“This early?” Jaekyung seemed surprised. He was definitely the most playful out of the four of them. “Your friends either really like you or are just crazy.”

 

“I think it’s a little bit of both.” Myungsoo chuckled. This interview wasn’t as scary as he thought it would be.

 

“Done!” Junghoon announced happily and pulled back to look at Myungsoo’s outfit. “And your clothes work so I don’t need to spend time finding you some. So go get in front of the camera.”

 

Without wasting a second, Myungsoo jumped out of the chair he was thrown in and walked over to the camera. He got in front of it and looked around. There was a plain white backdrop behind him and four huge lights around him. He had seen things like this on his father’s music video sets or even sometimes when taking a photo shoot, but he had never been in front of the camera. It was a whole new feeling he knew he could get used to.

 

Once again, a bright flash in front of his eyes got his attention. He turned towards the camera and found Junghoon smiling brightly, “That’s a great picture.”

 

“Now deliver your monologue.” Jaewon sat in a chair behind the camera next to the CEO and man in charge of artists. They were all staring at him, but it wasn’t as scary as he thought it was going to be. Maybe it was because the feeling of being in front of the camera overwhelmed everything else.

 

So Myungsoo began his monologue, not paying any attention to the flashes going on around him. He just focused on the words coming from his mouth and the expressions on his face. In his monologue, his character was talking to himself while alone on the stage, so, Myungsoo performed his monologue the same way. His eyes never making contact with anyone behind the camera, or the camera itself. It was like they weren’t even there.

 

When he finished, he finally turned back to Jaewon and saw the man smiling. That had to be a good sign.

 

“Okay now look here.” Junghoon waved his hand at Myungsoo so the teenager would look at the camera. “Be a model.”

 

Myungsoo wasn’t sure what that meant, but tried his best anyways. He copied a few poses he knew his father liked, as well as experimented with other things to see what he liked best. He jumped a few times, turned his back to the camera, and threw in some fun things like pretending he knew karate. Then, he realized how fun it was and experimented with his hands. He tried everything from a ‘shhh’ pose to a hand above his eyes to a hand by his mouth and even covered an eye. He was enjoying himself.

 

“Wow.” Jaewon commented from his spot in a chair after about thirty minutes of pictures.

 

“Yeah.” The other two who were sitting agreed with him.

 

“So then I think we’re done here.” Junghoon turned towards the other three and nodded, “Did you guys need to do anything else?”

 

Myungsoo looked around startled. Did he do something wrong? Why were they just suddenly over everything?

 

“Nope, just follow me to my office L, I’ll give you a contract to look over.” Jongwan smiled at Myungsoo before leading him out the door.

 

“That’s it?” Myungsoo couldn’t help but ask. “Really?”

 

Jongwan laughed, “Yes, that’s it. By the time we’re done talking I’m sure Junghoon will have some pictures printed if you want to keep some. I’m sure they’ll all come out good. You can show them to your family, I’ll bet they’ll be excited.”

 

Even though moments ago Myungsoo felt light as air, now he felt dread settle in his stomach. “Sir, there’s actually something I should tell you about my family.”

 

Once they reached the CEO’s office, Myungsoo explained everything with his mom, dad brother, and his brother’s mom. This man was going to pay him a lot of money to be in the public eye, and Myungsoo felt like he had the right to know what kind of secrets could pop up.

 

“Who knows about this?” Jongwan didn’t look as upset about it as Myungsoo thought he’d be.

 

“Only a few very close friends and Big Bang and a few of the very high ups in YG. That’s it.” Myungsoo was worried his dream was about to be crushed by his family.

 

But it wasn’t. “Well then, I don’t see the problem. Now, let’s talk contract.”

 

Half an hour later, Myungsoo was walking across the street to his friends with two envelopes in his hand. One with the contract he was going to have his father look at, and one with the pictures from the shoot. He was so surprised when he first looked at them. It was as if there was another person in those pictures.

 

“Hyung!” Jinyoung spotted Myungsoo immediately when the older entered the café and ran over to him. “Are you on tv yet?”

 

Myungsoo chuckled as he did his best to pick up his brother without bending the envelopes in his hand, “Not yet, but soon. They liked me.”

 

“Duh!” Jinyoung exclaimed and wrapped his arms around Myungsoo’s neck.

 

“So you got it?” Hoya had followed Jinyoung and was already in Myungsoo’s face. “Really? You’re going to be famous?”

 

“Hopefully.” Myungsoo smiled so brightly his cheeks were hurting. “Do you want to look at the pictures they took of me? It’s crazy, it’s not even me in the pictures.”

 

“Come on,” Hoya grabbed the two envelopes out of his friend’s hand and pulled him to the table where everyone congratulated him. This day could not get any better.

 

 

 

 

haha i just felt the need to apologize at how close everyone's name is in this one. I'm sure some people got confused while reading it i know i got confused when i was writing a little but they're Nell^^ and well i kind of like how confusing they are because then you kind of get to feel like Myungsoo and how confusing everything was for him