First Confession

Learning to Shine

“Crazy fan?” Myungsoo heard his dad ask, voice sounding confused.

 

“L’s dad?” Everything apparently clicked in Sunggyu’s head.

 

“Ah, so not a crazy fan, I’m relieved.” Jiyong chuckled. “Did you bring L with you? Or how about Jinyoung?”

 

Myungsoo wanted to throw his show at his dad. Why couldn’t the man lie and say he was breaking into the apartment or something? Instead, Myungsoo settled for pushing Sunggyu deeper into the apartment and to the couch in the living room. He then turned to his father, “Why are you here?”

 

“You said Jinyoung’s sick.” He reminded his son. “By the way, where is he? He better be with Hoya, I know you like your friends and all but that is my kid.”

 

“Yes Hoya is with him.” Myungsoo rolled his eyes. His dad was always so off topic. The man had just exposed his biggest secret and he seemed so relaxed about it.

 

“G-dragon is your father?” Sunggyu spoke up, voice not believing the situation in front of him.

 

Suddenly, there was a loud pounding on the door. “Jiyong I know you’re in there! Let me see my son!”

 

“Who’s that?” Sunggyu turned towards his friend.

 

“A horrible woman.” Myungsoo replied as his father made his way to the door.

 

“Shut up woman!” Jiyong yelled as he dragged the woman into the room. “Do you want the whole world to know where I live?”

 

“Super model Jung Jessica?” Sunggyu looked like he could faint at any second. He seemed a little more pale than normal and his eyes were wider than Myungsoo had ever seen them before. “She’s your mom?”

 

“Not mine.” Myungsoo figured he was just about as deep in as he could get, so he decided to tell the truth. “Jinyoung’s. Mine is Kim Taeyeon.”

 

“You have a lot of explaining to do,” Sunggyu looked like he could punch Myungsoo at any second.

 

“What’s going on here?” Jessica barged into the room and turned her fierce glare on Jiyong once she couldn’t find her son. She then made her way towards the hallway, her heels clicking fiercely on the hardwood floor, “Where is my son?”

 

Myungsoo turned towards his dad, but his father looked just as lost as he felt.

 

“L!” Sunggyu yelled, catching the younger’s attention. Myungsoo had never heard Sunggyu yell so loudly before, it was a little intimidating. “What the hell is going on?”

 

“Sunggyu, can you wait a few seconds?” Myungsoo was about ready to get on his knees and beg, he just needed a minute to think after everything he ever tried to hide in his life came crumbling down. “I’ll explain everything, no lies I swear, if you just give me enough time to get that crazy out of the apartment.”

 

Hoping the younger would wait, Myungsoo pulled his sulking father down the hall to Jinyoung’s room.

 

“Jiyong, where is my son?” Jessica demanded.

 

“Not here Jessica,” the rapper responded, getting angrier by the second. First she barged into the apartment and then was now almost tearing Jinyoung’s room apart as if the child was hiding under his flat blankets. “You have no right to break into my home and scream and cause havoc. I’m not sure if you remember, but you have no rights to him whatsoever. You gave up any part of his life when you signed those papers. Besides, he doesn’t want nor need you.”

 

Jessica froze at those words. The famous rapper hit a weak spot saying she wasn’t wanted. “I was stupid, I was young, I regretted it for every second since I got on that plane.”

 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, he knew it would probably be better if he let the two adults fight it out, but they were talking about Jinyoung, and no one knew his baby brother more than him. “Oh please! If you had you’d have come back on the next plane.”

 

“Shut up Myungsoo, you don’t know anything!” Jessica shouted. Though, the teenager was sure that she didn’t know his name because he had been named after she left the hospital.

 

“Hey! Don’t talk to my son like that!” Jiyong put himself between his first son and the mother of his second child. “Besides Jessica, don’t come here spouting about how much you regretted it. No one will ever believe that! You haven’t sent a single email, letter, or made even a telephone call since you left. We’ve heard nothing about you since then and guess what? In this family, you do not exist!”

 

“He’s my son!” She looked ready to pull out Jiyong’s hair. “He needs me in his life! I’m his mother!”

 

Myungsoo sent the woman an icy glare, “Just save it, he doesn’t care about you. If he were to walk into this room right now, you’d be invisible.”

 

“Myungsoo, would you really deprive your brother of a mother?” Jessica seemed to change her tactic of screaming to weaseling into Myungsoo’s heart. “You know what it’s like to not have a mother. You know, for the past five years she wanted to become closer with you, but your father stopped that. He deprived you of a mother.”

 

The model had probably expected Myungsoo to turn on his father and demand to know why, but instead, he smirked. “No, my dad didn’t do that. He would never do that. He’s just too nice. It was me who said I didn’t want her, but he didn’t want Taeyeon to hate me so he took the blame. If it wasn’t for him, I’d have never seen that woman since I was old enough to say no.”

 

Jiyong, who had been sitting back thinking quietly, let out a sigh. “Myung, we should ask him.”

 

“What?” Myungsoo turned to his father. “Why?”

 

“I gave you that option, didn’t I? Jinyoung should have the same chance, too.” Jiyong looked like he was just too tired from all this fighting, and Myungsoo didn’t blame him. After all, the man had just arrived from Japan probably an hour or two ago after days of concerts, interviews, and photo shoots. “I’ll ask him Jessica.”

 

“Really?” The model’s demeanor changed entirely to relieved. “You’ll ask him?”

 

Jiyong ran his fingers through his hair, he was frustrated. “I will, but if he says no, you have to respect that and never show up like this again until he changes his mind.”

 

“Fine,” Jessica replied quietly and then made her way out of the room to the front door.

 

“Wait.” Jiyong called out to her as she was about to grab the doorknob. He then handed her a small picture, “His name is Jinyoung. He’s about to turn six soon.”

 

“Jinyoung,” Jessica smiled a little. “Thank you for this.” And then, she left.

 

Jiyong just let all his energy go and sat down on the floor. “I’m exhausted. I should have listened to you when you were little, you always told me she was crazy.”

 

Myungsoo was just relieved she was gone. Or at least, he was relieved until he heard someone clear their throat, “Oh .”

 

“Oh yeah, your friend,” Jiyong jumped to his feet and pulled Myungsoo into the living room.

 

“Sorry to interrupt, but can someone explain to me what the hell is going on?” Sunggyu asked quietly, but it was obvious he was flustered. “Please?”

 

“Would you like something to drink?” Jiyong pushed Myungsoo down onto the opposite side of the couch from where Sunggyu was sitting. “You know what? I’ll make us all tea, everyone loves tea. Myun-L, you can start talking with him first.”

 

Myungsoo wanted to beg his dad not to leave him alone at a time like this, but one look at Sunggyu, and he knew he had no choice. He needed to explain, but first, he needed to apologize. “I’m sorry for, well, everything. First, I’m sorry you had to be here for that fight. Secondly, and more so, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about my family. It’s not something I go around bragging about. Besides Hoya, no one else knows.”

 

“Can you just start from the beginning?” Sunggyu interrupted him. “Like the beginning of everything?”

 

“Yeah.” Myungsoo took a deep breath and looked down at his hands, he had never had to explain his life to anybody before. “Well, when my dad was about sixteen he was dating Kim Taeyeon for a while. This was back before when they were both just trainees. And they were young, and they were stupid, like really stupid, and my dad knocked her up. She didn’t want me, even tried to go to America to have an abortion. But my dad stopped her before she could get to the airport. He told her that if she’d take care of me and give birth to me, then once I was born he’d take care of everything and never have to see me again. She agreed, gave birth to me, and ever since then my dad’s taken care of me.

 

“And it was when I was a baby that Big Bang formed under YG and that’s how I met Hoya because his dad’s been their manager since the beginning.” Myungsoo looked up to check Sunggyu’s face for any type of emotion, but found only a blank stare. So, he continued, “Ever since the beginning, Taeyeon was really paranoid that someone was somehow going to make the connection and that her career would be ruined, so once I started going to school I went by L, just to assure her no one was ever going to make the connection. Then, when I was twelve, my dad was at an award show party and got a little too drunk and knocked up Jung Jessica. They were friends so they decided to raise the baby as just friends. But then during her pregnancy she fell in love with some Italian dude and so once she had Jinyoung, she signed over all custody and bolted. Today was actually the first time we’ve seen her since.

 

“And, well, once Jinyoung was born, I promised myself that I was always gonna be here for him. My dad was really busy when I was little, so he wasn’t around as much as I wished he could have been. He was, and still is, a great dad, but with his schedule it was hard to do things like go on vacation or spend a full day with him. So I took on the roll of brother, mother, and part time father so that he could grow up with a family who’s always there for him every second.” Myungsoo felt like the flood gates had been opened and that he could burst into tears at any time. He had never told anyone about the promise he made to himself, but he was rambling, and he just couldn’t stop.

 

“Is that life?” Sunggyu asked quietly as Myungsoo paused to take a deep breath.

 

“What?”

 

Sunggyu was looking at Myungsoo with warm, sympathetic eyes. “The reason you didn’t want to act.”

 

Myungsoo nodded, “It’s the reason I chose to be a business major. I want to be able to come home every night and be here every morning and play with him all throughout the weekends. Even though I may not have been able to have all the time I wanted with my dad, Big Bang was small back then so I did get time with him. Until I was five he was at home every morning making me breakfast. But now that they’re bigger, Jinyoung never got that from our dad. So I have to be the one here for him.”

 

Sunggyu moved so he was sitting right next to Myungsoo and hugged the younger boy. “You’re the best big brother anyone could ever ask for. Jinyoung’s lucky you’re here.”

 

“You’re not mad at me?” Myungsoo’s voice came out as almost a squeak. He was so afraid Sunggyu would hate him for lying.

 

“No, not mad at all,” Sunggyu smiled. “But you’re still keeping a secret from me. You said you go by L at school, so what’s your real name?”

 

“Myungsoo,” the younger boy smiled back at him. “My name is Myungsoo.”

 

Suddenly, Myungsoo realized how close the two of them were. Since he was still wrapped in Sunggyu’s arms, when he had looked up at the older boy, their lips were just centimeters away. All he would need to do was stretch his neck a little bit to bring their lips together. After all, with all the hints Sunggyu has been giving away, didn’t the other like him, too?

 

“Tea is ready!” Jiyong announced happily as he entered the room, sending the two boys to separate sides of the couch. “Did you guys talk it all out?”

 

Sunggyu nodded, “Yeah, I understand everything now.”

 

“Good,” Jiyong placed mugs in front of the two college students before asking, “Does that mean someone can bring me my sick son? I cancelled meetings and flew back from Japan to take care of him.”