Scarred for Life P.2

Working Undercover

“EUN KI!” They both screamed in terror. You were faling from the top, going down. “NOOOOOOOO!” You cried. You closed your eyes and thought “So this is how God treats me. I hope that I’ll be in a better place…” “EUN KI! Omo! I can’t watch!” Daeryong started to cry. Soryong was just standing in place, shocked. “I can’t believe it…we lost her.” The spectators were screaming from below. “Someone catch her!” A woman said. “Someone catch her!” Just inches before reaching to the ground, someone heard your cry and ran through the crowd of spectators and caught you. “I got you! Don’t worry.” He said. “Uh..?” You let out before you completely passed out. “Hm? Ah! Hyung! Someone caught her! Thank god!” “Mwoh!?” Daeryong ran to see who saved you. The boy looked up and gave them an “ok” sign. Daeryong smiled and mouthed “thank you so much!” to him. Soon afterwards, you were taken to the hospital with the boy. Your brothers came along with you. In the ride, you were hooked to an IV and your brothers thanked the boy again for saving your life. The boy introduced himself as Seo Jaehyung. He’s 22 years old and he’s an actor. “Well, it’s very nice to meet you Jaehyung-ssi. I hope to see more of you.” Daeryong said. “Yes. It’s an honour to meet the person who’s saved our sister’s life. I’m Soryong and this is Daeryong. Thank you so much. We owe you.”  “Ah..it’s nothing. Please, call me Jaehyung.”  When all of you arrived at the hospital, you were checked into a room. “Hey, we gotta go now, but please do look after our Eun Ki.” Soryong said. “Ne hyung.” Soryong and Daeryong left a note for you before they left.

“Poor you…what happened to you that made you do such a risky decision?” Jaehyung said. Just then, you started to wake up. “Mm…uh? Ah! Who are you? You…you’re not my oppa!” “Oh! You’re awake! How are you feeling? Wait! No, I’m not a bad guy. Here. Your brothers left this for you.” He said, giving you the note.

To our dearest dongsaeng,

You’re awake now, right? Aigoo! You must be in complete shock. How are you feeling now? Sorry we had to leave early. Me and Daeryong had something to do. Oh! You’re probably wondering why a guy is with you. His name is Seo Jaehyung. An actor. Don’t worry, he’s the guy who saved you. You looked over to him and nodded. He smiled at you. He’s nice. Talk to him. Don’t be shy. We’ll come visit you tomorrow. Sleep well.

-Daeryong and Soryong

After the note, you sat in silence, thinking. Jaehyung didn’t want to interrupt you, so he just sat quietly on the couch. After a while, you spoke up. “Thanks for saving me, Jaehyung-ssi. I’m…..grateful for that.” He was startled by your voice. “You’re welcome, Eun Ki.”  You guys sat in more awkward silence. “So…what’s your full name Eun Ki?” “Just like you: Seo. Seo Eun Ki.” “Well, it’s very nice to meet someone with the same last name as myself.” He laughed. You laughed as well.  You and Jaehyung were actually enjoying each other’s company. You talked about what you like and didn’t like, you told him that you were actually an orphan before your brothers took you in. He was upset by your story, but it didn’t seem to bother him that you were originally an orphan girl. He told you his career as an actor and that he wants you to see where he works someday.  “Oh! I’ve talked to your brothers and they seem to really love you.” “Yeah. I’m showered with their love! Haha!”  After all the introductions and laughter, Jaehyung decided to ask you a question. 

“Eun Ki-ah…” “Hm?” “C-can you tell me why you did it?” “Did what?” “The suicide attempt.” “Oh….” You gave it a long thought before answering him. “It’s…” Before you could even start the sentence, you started to cry. “Hey..it’ll be ok. I’m with you.” Jaehyung said, holding your hand. So, you told him about the day you got at school by a gang of people. You told him your story in the most unsuspicious way possible. You didn’t want to spill out your secret. You told him you felt worthless and that you didn’t do anything to stop the incident from happening because you were too overwhelmed and scared. “Oh..” Jaehyung said. You moved away from him. “I know you won’t hurt me and oppa did say you’re a nice guy, but…after what happened, I can’t bring myself to…see other people just yet. I haven’t been going to school for the pass few days and they had to make up a lie to the teachers saying I’m sick.” You explained. “I understand. Omo…this hit you hard….” “Ne…” You trailed. He looked at his watch. “Oh. Well, I-I have to go Eun Ki-ah. I have another schedule. Take care.” He said. “Oh..ne. Goodbye Jaehyung-ssi.” To be honest, you didn’t want him to leave so soon. “Well, I hope to see him again tomorrow.” After he left, you slowly drifted off to sleep.

The next day, the doctors took you off the IV drip put you in a wheelchair. You couldn’t walk stably so you had to sit in one. They took you out to the backyard garden for some fresh air. You were in a great mood since you went outside. It was nice to see the sun shine on  your hair. Just then, you heard some familiar voices. “Eun Ki-ah!” “Oh! Oppas!!!!” You greeted. “You came!” You laughed. “Yeah. It seems like you’re getting better. How are you feeling?” Daeryong asked. “I’m doing well! The nurse took me out for some fresh air and I’m feeling great!” “That’s good. So, did you and Jaehyung talk?” “Yes. It was…interesting. I was still a bit shy. I told him about why I almost attempted the suicide.” Your brothers’ faces darkened. “You didn’t expose your secret, right?” “Aniyo! Of course not. I would never!” Your brothers sighed a relief sigh. “Good. I don’t want us to be exposed.” Soryong said. After some serious talk with your brothers, you let them push you around the garden and admire the scenery. Daeryong got permission from one of the nurses that they can take you to a nearby park. When you arrived, you sat in the sun getting a tan. Suddenly, you heard another familiar voice. “We meet again Eun Ki-ah.” “Annyeonghaesaeyo Jaehyung-ssi! You’re back!” You laughed. You were glad he came by to visit again. “It’s so nice to see you again Jaehyung.” “Ne. It’s great to meet you again hyung.” He said. “Oh. I see you guys are already so close.” You laughed.  

You and the gang enjoyed each other’s company until late afternoon. Again, due to a busy schedule, Jaehyung has to leave early. You said your goodbyes and your brothers stayed back a little longer.  “So…Eun Ki. We’ve noticed that you couldn’t stop talking to Jaehyung when he was here. What is your deal?” Daeryong teased you. “What? Nothing! I swear! Why? Does it look too obvious?” “No…but now that you mention that, yes. It does.” “ARGGG!! Noooo!” “So..does Eun Ki like Jaehyung?” You didn’t answer and just gave them the silent treatment. “So you do! OH!!” Soryong bursted. Your face started turning red. “Ah…Oppa!!! Stop!” “Like I said back at the rooftop, any boyfriend would be lucky to have you and we don’t mind if you choose to start dating. Like right now. We have found out that Jaehyung is a nice guy and he might be your soulmate.” “But…but what if he doesn’t like me in that way?” “You never know unless you ask him. Be confident. You’re a secret agent too. I know you can do it. Tell you what, we’ll call up Jaehyung and tell him to meet you once you’re discharged from the hospital. Deal?” Soryong said. You gave a shy smile and nodded.  

A week has passed and you have been discharged from the hospital. You started going back to school and getting caught up with your classes. Your friends asked you where were you for the past few days and you just said that you have been sick with the flu. You didn’t want to tell anyone about your almost attempted suicide episode. You don’t want to worry anyone anymore. It was lunchtime and you received a call from Daeryong. “Hello?” “Ah. Eun Ki-ah.” “Ne? What’s up oppa?” “Oh, nothing. It’s just that…I contacted Jaehyung again and told him to meet you at a nearby smoothie shop after school.” “OMO! CHINCHA?” Your friends heard you so you piped down a bit. “Thanks oppa! I owe you one!” He laughed and said good luck to you before hanging up. Right after school, you went to the nearby smoothie shop. You saw Jaehyung. “Hey! Look who’s all better!” He said. You laughed with him. “Yeah. I feel much better now.” “This calls for a smoothie celebration!” He went to buy both of you a couple of smoothies.  “So, I heard from Daeryong hyung that you wanted to see me. What’s up?” He asked. When he asked the question, you started to sweat. You remembered what Soryong said: “Be confident.”

You just went up front with him. “The reason I wanted to meet up with you today is to ask you a question.” You said. “Oh. Alright. What is it?” “I know we’ve only met twice and we aren’t very comfortable with each other yet, but…I felt like we could be more than friends. I guess what I’m trying to say is......I like you Jaehyung-ssi.”