04. To love, and to miss

Torn

 

 

“What do i do now, hyung?” Jiho spoke up as he mindlessly scraped the flaking paint of the bench he was sitting on with his index finger. He looked up at the person next to him, waiting for an answer, to assure him that everything will be alright, and that he was either hallucinating or going crazy for this to be happening.

 

The older boy did not answer straight away. He took small sips from the can of beer he had bought from the 24-hour provision shop nearby while scrutinising the piece of paper Jiho had shown him.

 

The weather was getting chilly, and they could faintly see their breaths when they breathed and spoke. Winter was quickly approaching, and so the both of them wore their jackets and most importantly, their caps, so that they would not be recognised straight away in any event of them bumping into people in the dead of that night. They were at a park slightly out of the neighbourhood where Jiho and s’ dorm was located at. It was unusually silent, as it was a weekday where everyone had to be sleeping as they had school or work the next day. Only the street lamps lighting the pathways and the sound of the crickets hidden in the autumn grass and trees kept them company.

 

Jiho took a sip from his can and hesitated for a moment before speaking up again as the older boy wasn’t replying him, “hyung?.. Taewoon hyung?”

 

Taewoon looked back at his younger brother and scoffed. “Yah, now when i think of it, you never call me out nowadays. You’re ignoring your poor brother now that you’ve become more popular, huh?” he spoke jokingly.

 

What Taewoon said was true. Jiho had become too busy that everything else not related to his work had been pushed to the back of his mind. Those routined weekly calls he used to make with his brother to complain to him about his problems gradually vanished and he hadn’t meet up with his brother for a long time, excluding those events where Block B & Speed had a schedule together on a music show.

 

“No, hyung, I-“ Jiho could not find any other words to explain because he knew it too, that their close brotherly relationship had not been as strong as before. The both of them were the cocky, independant type and so they did not really complain when it comes to not caring for one another.

 

Taewoon reached out a hand and patted his younger brother’s back as a sign of understanding. He knew what his brother had gone through and the undying effort the latter put in to get to where he was that very day. Never did he expect a call from Jiho at 2am in the morning to tell him that he wanted to meet up with him. At first, Taewoon thought his brother was drunk because sometimes he gets calls from Jiho in the middle of the night only to get hung up on every few seconds after picking up the phone. Jiho’s words were always slurred and Taewoon knew he was drunk but that night Jiho sounded normal, and he could not disperse the feeling that his brother sounded somewhat disturbed. Taewoon agreed without hesitation and got out of his dorm silently and unnoticed and headed to the said destination by a taxi with the reasonable amount of cash he had stuffed into his jeans pocket.

 

When he had arrived, he went into the provision shop and bought two cans of beer and a bar of chocolate, as he knew how much his younger brother had loved sugary treats. Jiho used to love chocolate but after he got under the trainee idol diet scheme, he had to swallow the urge to ravage chocolates and sugar, especially when countless of fans had given him many sweet treats at fan signs or by airmail. When Taewoon walked along the pathways at the park, and saw that familiar figure he had known all his life, a sudden feeling overwhelmed him and he knew that he had missed his younger brother so much.

 

When he approached his brother, Jiho gave him a small smile and handed him a piece of paper with neat handwriting on it which he didn’t recognise. As he read what it said, Taewoon was shocked at first but as he imagined how Jiho had reacted when reading it, he kept calm and tried not to add any more stress onto his brother who had no choice but to seek help and comfort from him.

 

Though Jiho felt embarrassed to be confiding in to his elder brother about the problem he was facing, he gathered his courage to explain the situation. The person who had written the letter said that she was Junsu’s mother, the woman no older than Jiho himself who had unexpectedly became pregnant and painstakingly bore his child. Even though he was determined to conclude that there wasn’t enough concrete proof that he had caused it, she had stated that he was her first and only, and had found out of her pregnancy three weeks after she started vomiting and had sparked curiosity from her colleague. And when she explained that night when they met, Jiho could not help but to actually remember what had happened.

 

It was when Block B had been caught up in the controversy and when their promotional activities had been put to a halt. Two nights after countless articles exaggerating about the situation had sprung up and after they had recieved a satisfying reprimand from their CEO, Jiho found himself rebeling and escaping to a night club along with Jaehyo, Taeil & Kyung after making the other members swear they would not alert the managers of their whereabouts that night.

 

Jiho quickly became drunk and went up to the dance floor only to a pretty lady back to an empty motel room nearby and altough needless to say that he only remembered bits and pieces of it, he knew that he had done it. He was sure that he had worn a though he had speculated it being torn which had caused her to become pregnant. He remembered getting a call from Kyung asking where he was and the next thing he knew, he was back at the dorm, -it was morning- he reeked of a damp mixture of alcohol and something else, and his head was throbbing due to a massive hangover.

 

All the while Taewoon listened attentively to his younger brother, not knowing what to say. The woman who wrote the letter stated that she was getting married to the man of her dreams and since she could not bear to let her fiance knew that she had a son, she decided to hand over the responsibility to her son’s father, Jiho. It was a lengthy letter, but at least it was written with so much thought that Taewoon realised she had tried really hard to explain the best that she could of the situation.

 

“Jiho-yah, I’m sorry. I have no idea what to do either. In this situation, the only person that i can think of to confide to is-“ Taewoon sighed, “-mum.”

 

The both of them lowered their heads, guilt washing over them. Even though they had not spend time for quite a while, they knew it must be harder for their beloved mother who has to be apart from both her sons and can only watch them through the television and the internet. Their mother had resigned from her job and briefly told her two boys that she wanted to move to the countryside as life there was much easier. Jiho and Taewoon had met up once though, and visit their mother but that was a year ago.

 

Jiho felt selfish because if he were to go visit his mother just to confide in her, she would feel devastated. What more, the situation he was in, was not one to be taken lightly. Therefore, he had hoped his brother would give him the assurance he needed and wanted from his mother. But he knew his brother couldn’t.


 

 

Since I'm using Jiho instead of Zico, I was pondering whether I should use Taewoon's real name or not, but it feels weird so I didn't.

This chap is a lil more lengthy so I hope you guys understand what's really happening here.

And as you've noticed, they didn't really say much because I wanted to express how much they understand each other even without spoken words. 

So... I hope this brotherly love-filled chapter can make it up for me not updating >_< I've been working haha.. and I have work tomorrow too and I was bored today so yeah.. why not update? 

I haven't really 100% proof-read this chap because I'm getting restless now, just wanna upload this and get it over with, so if there are any grammar mistakes, do mention it out yeah? n.n

Oh, and a little treat for you guys, next chapter is going to be about someone else other than Jiho hehe *hint* one of the block b members XD

See you next time~ Off to sleep now bye guys!