03

Imagine.

 

 ▼▼▼▼▼▼

The rays on sunlight shone on my face and I started to stir. One of my eyes peeked open and scanned the room. Hmm,Lay was no where to be found. I slowly sat up,stretching my arms;I had a nice sleep last night.

Oh,you’re awake?” Lay closed the front door,coming in with bags of grocery.

I thought it’d be nice if we made breakfast together today.” He smiled.

If I could even get out of bed.” I sighed.

Don’t worry,I’ll be right here.” He said,helping me out of bed. It was very hard for me to walk,my body was still very weak,and not responding very well to any movement I make. We finally made it to the kitchen and I held onto the counter table for support as I watched him place all the grocery items on the table.

What are we making?” I raised a brow.

Waffles with fresh fruit!I figured we’d make something different and delicious since you’ve been having that horrible hospital food for a long time.” He exclaimed. I nodded my head excitedly anyway,not knowing what waffles even were. All I ever ate was a bowl of soup and bananas,or sometimes blended vegetables when I kept throwing up and couldn’t eat anything else.

Let’s get started,” He grinned,cracking eggs and pouring flour into a big bowl. I watched him,completely amazed,as he poured a bunch of ingredients in and started mixing.

You look like you’re seeing this for the first time,” He chuckled,”Have you ever had waffles?” My cheeks turned a tint of red as I quickly shook my head.

Lay stopped mixing and brought the bowl over to me,”Here,why don’t you try?” I hesitantly took the big spoon,staring at the bowl,completely confused on what I was suppose to do.

He chuckled,grabbing my hand to place it on the bowl,and his other hand holding the spoon with me. He leaned in a little closer,”I’ll teach you how to do it.” He softly said. I could feel my cheeks heating at the sudden close contact of his body against mine. Lay slowly started to mix around the bowl clockwise,letting go of my hand every now and then so I can try it on my own. My arms were still pretty weak so I didn’t have much force to mix everything.Once the mixing was finished,I watched him pour it into some sort of pan,gaping as the mix slowly start to harden.

Finished!” Lay grinned,placing the fruits as a final touch on the plate of waffles.

I closed my eyes and inhaled the wonderful scent,”It smells delicious!” I smiled.

And it tastes delicious too.” He remarked,cutting me a slice and feeding it to me.

He watched me chew it when a satisfied smile appeared on my face. I gave him a thumbs up and nodded my head eagerly,”Woah,it does taste delicious!” He chuckled and continued feeding me,giving me chances to feed him as well.

What do you want to do today?” He asked me.

I thought for a bit,”Can we..go outside?” I grinned.

Are you sure you’ll be able to manage?” He questioned. I quickly nodded,eager to explore the world outside.

He chuckled,”Okay,here I got you some sweaters since it’s quite cold outside.”

He layered sweater after sweater on me,”Okay Lay,I don’t think I’m going to be falling over now.” I giggled,waving my fat oompa loompa arms in the air.

He ruffled my hair,”Alright,let’s go.” His hands firmly on my shoulder and leading me out the door.

I wasn’t in some lonely field of dirt anymore or surrounded by just forests,but I was actually in a town. There were people everywhere,lights were vibrantly shining,I felt very flustered and very happy at the same time.This was my first time being in public with so much people. I didn’t see any nurses anymore,I saw regular people,walking around like they do this everyday in their life. I was completely amazed.

▼▼▼▼▼▼

I chuckled,watching her cute reaction at everything around her. She was like a little kid who’s seen an amusement park for the first time. It was nice seeing her so happy,so amazed about her surroundings. Nothing was new for me of course;I’ve seen everything ten thousand miles from here. It was heartwarming to give her an experience to actually see what’s going on around her. It made me sad to think about the past years of her life,not being able to see anything of these things but her plain old hospital room.

Everyone would look at her weirdly,probably wondering why a girl that looks so bad with a head wrap on is doing wondering the streets instead of being in the hospital room. That didn’t seem to bother Jinhee,she was too busy oohing and aahing at everything she saw. I gave most of them dirty looks,protectively tightening my grip around her shoulders.

I showed her around,bought her all sorts of cute toys they sell out on the street. I didn’t mind at all,if she was happy,I was happy. I was sure at this point that Kris would be watching us now and then,since I could feel his godly presence once in a while. I didn’t know what would be coming in the future,I could slowly feel myself…falling for this human. She was,different. And I wanted to protect her no matter what it will cost me.

Look!Can we go over there?” Jinhee shook my arm,interrupting my thoughts.

Yeah,let’s go.” I smiled and we made our way to the ice cream parlor nearby.

What do you want?” I asked her,pointing at the menu.

She in her cheeks for a bit,”Hmm,whatever you’ll have!” She smiled.

A scoop of mango and taro please.” I ordered.

▼▼▼▼▼▼

Lay came back to our table with a tasty looking bowl of ice cream,”Dig in.” He smiled.

I eagerly nodded and scooped some of it up to try for the first time,”MMmMmm,it's so cold!” I giggled,not used to the cold feeling on my tongue. Lay chuckled and began to eat also. We ate in silence,laughing at each other now and then whenever he had some ice cream around his mouth.

It was getting pretty dark outside,so we were starting to head home. It surprised me at first when Lay just grabbed my hand as we were walking down the side walk,but I've gotten used to it and enjoyed swinging our hands back and forth. We arrived back at his apartment and I quickly waddled over to lay down,super tired from the long day we've had.

So Lay, where are your parents? I wondered,staring at the ceiling. He stayed quiet for a bit,so I looked over at him,confused by his sudden change of attitude.

It's okay if you don't want to tell me,” I began.

No no,it's just,let's not talk about that right now.” He assured me,”It's nothing bad though,I'd just rather not talk about them a lot.” I gave him an understanding nod.

It's getting late,you should start going to bed.” He smiled,walking over to tuck me in.

You should stay with me,” I said,grabbing his arm when he was about to leave,”It's cold and lonely without you.” I whispered softly.

He smiled and made room for himself next to me,”I guess this one time won't hurt.” He smiled.

We laid next to each other in silence for a while,until he spoke,”Jinhee?” He asked. I turned my head to look at him,signaling him to go on.

How much longer do you have?” He whispered,loud enough for me to hear. I didn't have to ask him what he was talking about, I knew exactly what he meant.

I don't know..the doctor said to two or three months.” I managed to say,”I'm hoping I'm strong enough to make it 'till five months though.” My voice cracked. Lay put his arms around my waist and pulled me closer,my face buried into his chest.

You're a strong beautiful girl” He whispered,”I know you can make it.”

I'm afraid Lay,” My eyes began to tear,”I barely know what it feels like to live.” My voice shook.

His fingers ran soothingly through my hair,”No,don't be afraid. I'm here with you,” He paused,”Even though it won't be for long...” He trailed off,knowing that I didn't hear him because I was too busy sobbing on his chest.

J..just promise me one thing.” I said in between sobs.

What is it?”

Promise me, you'll always love me.” I whispered.

Always.” He kissed my head before we both fell into a deep sleep.