Figments

Crayon

 

“Are you real?” Jonghyun reached out to touch the handsome boy’s face.  As his hand slid easily through the boy’s cheek, his eyes widened.  Whimpering, he pulled back, mumbling to himself.

“I really am crazy.” The figment, who had named himself Tao, lazily stretched over Jonghyun’s couch, grinning evilly at him.  Tao pulled out a photo and waved it in the air, not creating any disturbance. 

“I don’t have to be real.” Jonghyun watched as he slowly ripped the photo in half and let it float to the floor.

“To get what I want.”  Tao dissipated into the air, leaving the photo behind.  Jonghyun stooped to grab it.  Fear overtook him . . . It was a photo of his sister.

A knock sounded on the door and Jong jumped, sending his heart to thump wildly in his chest. He shakily pushed himself off the floor, as the door swung open to reveal a woman’s form.  Jonghyun breathed in relief.

“Sodam, what are doing here?”  She smiled shyly.

“I just really wanted to see my little brother.” Jonghyun chuckled and waved her all the way inside.  She looked around with a small frown. 

“Why do you live in such a small place?” Jonghyun blinked.

“Small?” He looked around, taking in his apartment.  He had never noticed that it was only one room.  He felt something underneath his feet and lifted his toes so that he could see. He gasped when he saw the floor crumbling and cracking underneath him.  The walls shifted and started closing in around him. He whipped his head around frantically.

“Jong? What’s the matter?” Jonghyun was hyperventilating.

‘The walls.” He forced out.

“What’s wrong with the walls? White isn’t a bad color.” Jonghyun reached for his sister, determined to protect her from the evil she couldn’t see. She backed away, not letting him touch her.

“Jonghyun, you’re scaring me.” Jonghyun felt a tugging in his mind. 

Let me out. A voice in his head whispered.

Let me out.  He put his hands over his skull, as if somehow to keep the demon in his brain contained. The devil incarnate was scraping his way through Jonghyun’s thoughts like deadly, sharp claws. Something snapped. Jong fell to the floor, gasping for air, as Tao ripped his way out of Jonghyun’s body. Like a razor blade slicing through tender skin. He found himself looking at Tao’s feet.

“No.” He whispered.  He felt hollow and breathless as Tao passed through him. Sodom was watching with wide eyes. Tao’s mouth carved into a devilish smile, as he approached the shocked girl. He pinned her to the wall by her wrists, and leaned in to her neck. Jonghyun tried to get to his feet. Tao twisted his head around, glancing at the struggling man. He tsked.

“No, Jonghyun. You stay right there.” The floor that had formally been cracked now had liquid bubbling through it. The pasty substance slipped around his ankles and hardened.  He tried to break free, but only succeeded in rubbing his skin raw. Blisters had been begun to form, but he ignored them. He had to protect his sister. He watched helplessly as Tao pressed his lips to Sodam’s neck.

“Get away from her!” Tao bared his teeth into a knowing smile.  His sister giggled, surprising him. She pushed Tao off of her and menacingly approached her brother. She crouched down in front of him. Her face melted into the same expression as Tao’s. She took a fingernail and slowly carved a scratch down over her eyebrow to her chin. Jonghyun choked.

“What are doing!” She eyed from underneath her thick lashes. Jonghyun reached to touch her scratch, and cried out when his hand encountered nothing but air. Tao smirked as he wrapped his arms around his figment sister’s waist, pulling her away. Jonghyun watched as the two bodies melted into one, demented body. Pieces of both bodies were left visible and used to create the new mass. Jong felt like throwing up, and he could already feel the bile rising in his throat. Jonghyun was surprised again when the creature started humming. He felt a great pressure lifted off of his feet. He looked around to see the entire room flaking away. White patches were appearing everywhere.

“What is going on?” He looked back to the creature, which was already no more than a pile of small bits of flesh and hair that continued to disintegrate into nothing. The humming was still reverberating in his eardrums. Jonghyun jolted up and saw himself standing in a white room. A cell. He looked to the door that had a tiny slot as the window and a crack of space underneath. He heard a wicked chuckle echo from outside the door. He heard something rolling and saw movement. Jonghyun stooped by the door and carefully lifted the shiny, red wax from the ground, examining it. His eyes darkened and his expression shifted.  A familiar carved smile appeared on his face.

Get your crayon.”  Jonghyun’s door clicked open and he let out a chilling laugh. His voice was not his own.

“I always get what I want.”