The Baby!

The Business of Love

 

CHAPTER 17

 

            “Your wife Mr. Kim.  She’s pregnant,” Dr. Hong repeated.

 

            “My wife is pregnant?” Hyun Joong asked again.

 

            “I’m sorry Mr. Kim.  I didn’t realize you’re not aware of your wife’s pregnancy.”

 

            “How far along is she?”

 

            “She’s in her sixth week of pregnancy.”

 

            “Are you sure my wife and the baby are fine?”

 

            “Yes, Mr. Kim.  Don’t worry they are doing fine.  Your wife should be awake by now.  You can see her in Room 107 if you would like to.”

 

            Hyun Joong thanked Dr. Hong and immediately proceeded to So Min’s room.  So Min was already awake when he entered the room.  She had a bruise on her forehead but she seemed alert.

 

            “Hey, how are you feeling?” Hyun Joong greeted So Min and gave her a kiss on her cheek.

 

            “I’m okay.  I still have a little bit of a headache but overall I’m fine,” So Min said sheepishly.

 

            “Dr. Hong told me about our baby.” Hyun Joong said while caressing So Min’s face.

 

            So Min couldn’t help it and started crying.  “I’m sorry Hyun Joong.  I was going to tell you tonight during dinner but….”

 

            “Sshhhh.  It’s okay.  Please don’t cry.  You know I can’t stand seeing you cry.”  Hyun Joong held So Min’s hands.  “Just rest for now.  We can talk later at home.”

 

            So Min was ready to get more rest when her parents entered the room.  As expected her mother made a big fuss over her.  “Are you okay, So Min?  Your Dad and I were so worried about you.”

 

            “I’m okay Mom.  Just a little headache but I’m fine,” So Min assured her mother.

 

            “Mom, Dad this may not be the most appropriate time or place but we’d like to let you know that you will be grandparents soon,” Hyun Joong announced.

 

            There was silence.  So Min’s parents were speechless.  They couldn’t believe what they just heard.

 

            “You mean So Min is pregnant?” So Min’s mother was completely astonished.  So Min’s father did not say anything but he was teary eyed.  He was waiting for this moment and couldn’t be happier.

 

            “Did you hear that?  We’re going to be grandparents soon!” So Min’s mother couldn’t contain her excitement.  “But wait a minute.  Is the baby going to be okay?”

 

            “Yes, Mom.  Dr. Hong assured us the baby is fine.  So don’t worry Mom.  Your grandchild will be just fine,” Hyun Joong said.

 

            “Oh my, So Min you and I will need to do a lot of shopping to get ready for the baby.”

 

           “Mom, don’t get too excited.  I’m only six weeks pregnant and have a long way to go,” So Min said laughing.

 

            “I don’t care.  We’ll shop right away as soon as you are feeling better.”

 

            “Congratulations, son.  You will be a father soon.”  Mr. Jung said while shaking Hyun Joong’s hand.  “We need to celebrate as soon as So Min is out of the hospital.”

 

            So Min looked at Hyun Joong.  He looked blissful, a sign that he was excited about the baby.

 

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

            Two days later So Min was sent home from the hospital.  Hyun Joong stayed home that day to be with her.  So Min spent most of the day resting while Hyun Joong attended to her every need.  While cuddled in bed, So Min finally had the courage to ask Hyun Joong about the baby.

 

            “Hyun Joong, are you excited about the baby?”

            “Of course!  Isn’t it obvious?  Why did you ask?”

 

            “I wasn’t sure if you are ready to have the baby so soon.  There’s a lot going on at work and you are extremely busy right now.”

 

            “I will always be busy at work.  That’s just the nature of what I do but I’ll make adjustments along the way.  I feel there’s something else you want to tell me.”

 

            “Actually there is, but I’m not quite sure how to say it.  Anyway, before we left New York He Ra stopped by our apartment.” So Min was being careful with her words.  She didn’t want Hyun Joong to get upset.  “She told me that she was pregnant once.  Can I ask what happened to her pregnancy?”

 

            Hyun Joong was silent for a while.  So Min felt Hyun Joong’s body tensed and she could see the sadness in his face.  After taking a deep breath, Hyun Joong finally started talking.

 

            “After four years of being together, I actually proposed to marry He Ra and was hoping we could start a family soon.  But He Ra didn’t want to get married.  She didn’t believe in marriage and she didn’t think it was necessary.  She felt that we were happy with the way things were.  After that I never felt the same way and actually broke up with her.  I moved out of our apartment and was alone for a couple of months.  Then one day she called me to tell me she was pregnant.  I was elated of course to hear the news and we decided to get back together.”

 

            “Really so what happened to the baby?” So Min asked and her heart was pounding as Hyun Joong was telling the story.

 

            “One evening I overheard her talking on the phone with her best friend.  I heard that in the short period of time we were separated she got back together with one of her former boyfriends and she wasn’t sure if the baby was mine or not.  I confronted her about it and she did admit it was true.”

 

            “So what did you do?”

 

            “I actually didn’t care if the baby was mine or not.  I grew up an orphan and I didn’t want the child to be born without a father.  Besides, what if the child was mine? I didn’t want to abandon my own child.  So I continued to live with her.  But I guess since my feelings for her have changed, she took it as I didn’t care or want the baby which was far from the truth.  To be honest at that point, I was more interested in the baby than her.  Then one night we were driving home from a party.  I guess she didn’t like the way I was talking to one of the guests and was extremely jealous.  She started a fight while we were driving home.  She got physical and tried to grab the wheel from me, and then we got into an accident.”

            “Oh, no.  What happened to the baby?”

 

            “We lost the baby.  She was almost four months pregnant.” Hyun Joong said close to tears.  “I was devastated but it didn’t seem to affect He Ra that much unless she was hiding her feelings very well.  After that I finally ended our relationship.  He Ra tried to stop me from leaving her but there was no going back for me.”

 

            “I’m sorry Hyun Joong,” So Min said and cuddled even closer to her husband.  She didn’t realize Hyun Joong went through a lot of emotional pain with He Ra.

 

            “In a way I was glad I didn’t know you were pregnant on the way to the hospital.  I don’t think I’ll be able to keep it together if I knew.  It was bad enough knowing you were hurt and I couldn’t get to the hospital fast enough.”  Hyun Joong cupped So Min’s face. “You have no idea how happy I am about the baby.  I promise you, I will give it my all to be the best father to our child.”

 

            “Oh Hyun Joong. I’m so happy! I know you will be a wonderful father,” So Min said and kissed Hyun Joong on his lips. 

 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

            That Saturday So Min was feeling much better so she and Hyun Joong decided to visit her parents and join them for lunch.  As usual her mother was excited and asked lots of questions about her pregnancy.

 

            “Mom, you call me everyday and you keep asking the same questions,” So Min said laughing.

 

            “Oh, So Min forgive your mother.  She’s just really excited. After all this is our first grandchild we are talking about.  You know your mother and I have been waiting for this moment.  So just bear with us,” So Min’s father said.

 

            “I’m just kidding Mom and Dad.  I really don’t mind.  Hyun Joong and I are extremely excited about the baby too so we completely understand.”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

           

            “You better take it easy,” Seung Ah said.  “Your husband told me to make sure you don’t exert too much effort at work.”

 

            So Min had been back to work for almost a week and so far was feeling well.  She felt that she had fully recovered from the accident.  She would have morning sickness once in a while because of the pregnancy but that was something she was able to tolerate.  She took naps during the day to regain her strength back.  The pregnancy was making her tired.  Tiredness that she never felt before.

 

            Seung Ah was also excited for her when she told her about the baby.  Just like her mother, Seung made a big fuss over her.  If Seung Ah had been a great assistant before, now even more so because of the baby. 

 

            “I told you, I’m pregnant, not sick.  I can do things for myself, you know?” So Min reminded Seung Ah.  “You and Hyun Joong are the same.  Now he wouldn’t even let me drive.”

 

            “I don’t want to hear it.  I’m under strict instruction from your husband to make sure you are comfortable at work as much as possible.  I want the same thing for you as my boss and my friend.”

 

            “Oh, Seung Ah.  When will you ever take my side?” So Min said jokingly.

 

            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

            Hyun Joong was in a meeting but he couldn’t fully concentrate.  He kept thinking about So Min and their baby.  He still couldn’t believe he will become a father soon.  He couldn’t explain the feeling except that being with So Min felt so right.  He had been unhappy in a long time, but So Min changed all that.  Now he was more determined to succeed for the sake of So Min and their baby.  He wanted her to be proud of him and be a great provide to his family.

 

            After the meeting, Hyun Joong called So Min on the phone immediately.

 

            “Hey, just wanted to see how you’re feeling.”

 

            “I’m fine.  Feeling tired once in a while but I feel good.”

 

            “By the way, when is your next prenatal visit?”

 

            “Wednesday next week at three o’clock.  Why?”

           

            “I’m blocking off my calendar because I want to go with you.”

 

            “You don’t have to.  I know you’re busy at work.”

 

            “Nope.  I plan to be there.”

 

            “Okay then.  I guess I’m not going to stop you,” So Min said laughing.

 

            “I’d better go.  I need to run to another meeting.”

 

            “I’ll see you later then.”

 

            “See you then.” So Min was about to hang up the phone when Hyun Joong said, “Wait.”

 

            “What?”

 

            “I miss you.  I can’t stop thinking about you.  I couldn’t even concentrate at work.  Are you sure you can’t work for me so I can see you all the time?  I will set up your office next to mine.”

 

            “If you think you can’t concentrate now what do you think will happen when I work next to you?” So Min couldn’t stop laughing.  “I don’t want to be blamed for my husband’s failure you know.  Besides, the financial world is not my interest.  If it was, I would be working for my father.”

 

            “I guess you’re right. Anyway I’d better run.  I’ll see you later tonight.”

 

            It was almost six o’clock when the meeting ended.  Hyun Joong wanted to go home but he still had papers to review and sign before he could go home.  It was almost seven o’clock and Hyun Joong was still busy reading documents when he heard a commotion in the hallway.  Hyun Joong stepped out of his office and saw movers carrying new office furniture.

 

            “What’s going on here?”  Hyun Joong asked.

 

            “Mr. Kim, Ms. Yoon asked these to be delivered into her office,” said Mr. Maeng Bong Hak, their Head of Security.

 

            “You mean He Ra will be setting up office here?”

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED