Chapter 1; Into the New World

Love is patient; Love is kind

 

Chapter 1

Time Period: August 2007 (Debut with Into the New World @ Inkigayo); POV: Taeyeon’s

It’s normal to be this nervous right? Considering it’s the first time we’re performing… We’ll be ok. We worked harder than we should have and we’ll be ok right? They’ll understand if we make one simple mistake right? I can’t seem to shake off these thoughts. We are human after all... But of course I’d feel like this, standing next to so many experts in the music industry and in front of so many people.

I looked around nervously as I stood waiting impatiently in the backstage of Inkigayo. We had already been called out to wait until the previous performers were finished and it was just a matter of a few minutes before us, SNSD, would go on our debut stage and go through our first performance. I looked at my girls and I noticed that they too were very nervous.

“Girls, don’t be too nervous. I know how you guys feel but remember we worked very hard for this and we made sure we remembered everything about this song. We’ll do fine; our sunbae(s) even said so.” I gave them a warm smile, trying to encourage them and make them feel better. Even though I was nervous myself, making sure that they would be fine would make me feel a lot more confident.

“You’re right eonni. We can do this, girls; we have to show them what we’re made of.” Seohyun said with a determined expression.

“See? If the maknae says it, it must be true!” I laughed, putting my arm around Seohyun as everyone else laughed.  From the corner of my eye, I noticed someone watching us with a smile. I turned to check on who it was but I saw no one. I kept looking around the room to see if someone was watching us when suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder and I squealed from fear and surprise. I held my chest, trying to control my heart and making sure it wouldn’t jump out from my chest as I turned around.

“Sunbae! You scared me!” I said to Leeteuk as soon as I saw him. To this, he started laughing, causing a lot of people to turn around and look at the both of us. I pouted at him, both to show that I was “upset” at him for scaring me and because I was slightly embarrassed.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. And how many times have I told you to call me oppa already? We’ve known each other for years Taeyeon-ah.” He replied, smiling and ruffling my hair.
“Well you sure treat me like a dog.” I huffed, causing him to laugh again.
“No no, you’re SNSD’s Kid Leader which reminds me, I actually came over here to talk to you about that.”
I frowned; I was doing something wrong wasn’t I?
“It’s amazing, how with just a few words you cheered up your girls. You’re doing a great job already.” He nodded and all I could do was stare at him in surprise. Was he being serious?
“Are you teasing me?” I crossed my arms and he shook his head. “I’m being honest. It took me a while to master that, and it’s only your debut stage and you’ve perfected it.” I looked at my girls to see if he was being truthful. From the looks of it, they were all smiling and comfortable.
“I… Don’t… Umm thanks then.” I smiled, feeling even happier than before.”
“No problem. Hey do you think you have time to hang out with your oppa after your stage today or will you be busy?” He asked.
“I might have to ask my manager to check. I don’t want to upset him already. But I’ll tell you if I can alright? I smiled at him, looking back as our name was called to get ready. “I have to go su.. I mean oppa. Wish me luck!” I smiled even wider at him and waved goodbye while I walked over to my girls. I turned around to see him smiling and waving back, mouthing out “Fighting!” to me. I smiled even wider, and in a few seconds we were out, showcasing our talent to Korea and possibly the world.

____________________

Dictionary on words used just because I really don't want anyone confused. The words bolded will be found here.

  • sunbae (선배) a term used to describe someone who has more experience in something; for example think of a Senior in school. Hoobae (후배) is the term a sunbae uses to call someone who has less experience. So in this case Leeteuk is the sunbae and Taeyeon is the hoobae.
  • eonni (언니) the term a female uses to call a female older than her. This term isn't formal though, so it'll only be used when they're close to each other.
  • maknae (막내) the term used to describe the youngest in a group. Seohyun is the maknae of SNSD.
  • oppa (오빠) the term a female uses to call a male older than her. This term also isn't formal and is only used when they're close.