Chapter 3

60 Seconds

 

*Ugh another day of school..* I thought, stopping  the alarm clock and getting ready for school. The only thing I look forward to about going to school is what happens after school, going  to my favorite coffee shop. 
 
-FLASHBACK-
My first time going to the coffee shop was when I was 10 years old. I remember every little detail that happened on that day. 
It was snowing at the time and I was taking a walk by myself, when 2 boys playing chase pushed me to the ground. my bottom hit the cold concrete sidewalk and I felt so much pain, I cried.Through my tears, I looked up to see who it was but they were too fast and were already gone. Then, I heard a voice telling me to get up. "I have a coffee shop, would you like to drink hot cocoa there? I promise it will make you feel better" A middle Aged man said. "My son is there too~ You guys can be good friends." 
Still in pain I sniffled loudly.  "Ok, thank you ahjusshi." 
He picked me up and he held his hand out,waiting for me to take his but instead I looked at him in confusion. He gave me a reassuring smile. "I'm not gonna bite. And we have to cross the street, I don't want you to get hurt." 
I took his hand and crossed the street. We walked in silence but it felt good to be by him because I had a strong feeling that he was a good man. 5 minutes after walking in silence, the ahjusshi stopped, "We're here." He beamed. "I named the cafe 60 Seconds." He proudly said. 
"Ahjusshi?" 
"Hmm?"
"Why is it called 60 Seconds?" I asked. 
"Because so many things happened here in 60 seconds. Before the coffee shop was made, while it's open, and even when it's closed." He answered thoughtfully.
"That's understandable. I like the name." I giggled. The man opened the door to the store and let me in. As I bowed in respect, the man called a boys name. "DongWoo-ah!" The ahjusshi called. 
"Coming~" I heard a boys voice echo through the kitchen. "Appa? I'm here~" 
The boy walked in the room and went near the counter. 
"Ah! Ok DongWoo meet..." The man looked at me and I introduced myself. 
"Annyeonghasaeyo. Song HyeRin imnida. " I gave the man and DongWoo a warm smile. 
"Oh and HyeRin call me appa. Ok? Appa!" He exclaimed.
"Umm ok...appa...?" I tilted my head, a bit shy.
He then nodded his head in satisfaction and hugged me. 
"Ah! Appa is so happy. Oh Ok let me make you the hot cocoa I promised. Meanwhile, DongWoo can you play with HyeRin-ah?" 
"Ah! Neh~ abeoji." He answered. DongWoo then turned his attention to me and held his hand out. I looked up at him in confusion and he said,"Don't you guys shake hands when you meet people?" 
I then realized what he was trying to get, a handshake. I, too held my hand out and we shook hands. "I'm DongWoo, nice to meet you." He introduced. 
"Hi, I'm.." DongWoo cut me off and finished my sentence. "HyeRin.. I know." He flashed me a smile. 
"What do you wanna do? I don't have toys here..." 
"Umm.... I don't know.." I answered. 
"Umm ok then, do you wanna play tic tac t-toe. Or do you wanna just talk and wait for the hot cocoa.." 
"We could wait.." I offered quietly. DongWoo got up and told me he'll be back. A minute later he came out with towels in his hand. 
"You look cold.. And you were wet from the snow so I brought you towels so you could warm up a little." He said. 
"Oh thank you." I felt my cheeks warm up,slightly blushing. Then, appa called and said that the hot cocoa were ready. I was going to go get them but before I could, DongWoo got up and beat me to it saying he will get them for me. DongWoo is so nice~ I know where he got his kindness from. I grinned to myself as he was walking toward the booth we were sitting in. 
The hot chocolate was perfect. I enjoyed every sip of it. While I was drinking the hot chocolate, DongWoo got up and turned the TV on to Dream High. "I want to be like them one day. Making people happy by dancing and singing." He beamed. 
"Really? Well good luck. Ill be cheering for you." I smiled brightly. "You can probably do it." 
He looked into my eyes and smiled. "Thanks. I'll do my best. Hwaiting!" He pumped his arms back.
"Kids~ get ready to leave, we're closing the shop soon." Appa called. I looked at the clock 8:55, sighing I got up from the booth. 
"Appa, thank you for today. The hot cocoa was delicious. And DongWoo is really nice, I had alot of fun. Thank you." I bowed to him. 
"Aww you don't have to thank me HyeRin-ah." Appa said. I giggled and replied, "But still, thank you." I started to walk towards the door when DongWoo called, "HyeRin!! Here, give that to your mom or you can eat it on your way home... or something."He handed a paper bag and placed it in my hands. Peeking inside, I saw chocolate chip cookies. 
"Did you make this?" I asked. DongWoo looked down shyly and replied back, "Yeah~" 
"Thank you, My mom and I will eat them well." With the paper bag full of cookies in my hands I headed for home. 
 
After that day I went to the coffee shop everyday after school to drink the Hot Cocoa appa would make me. I tried paying but he would always reject it and tell me to save it for something important. I would see DongWoo on Saturdays and Sundays but never during the week. As we got older, DongWoo didn't visit the shop anymore but I still visited the coffee shop everyday. I don't know how DongWoo is, what he looks like now, and what happened to him anymore. But when I turned 14, appa offered me to work here. I gladly accepted the offer and would work here until the shop closes. 
-FLASHBACK END-
 
Walking to school with a donut in my hand, I felt something brush past me quickly. Sadly, it hit my  shoulder, making me drop the donut.The person looks back and glares, "What the hell" He growls. I give a little bow and say sorry. With that, he leaves on his skateboard. After he's gone, I rub my shoulder from the impact and walk with a sore arm to school. 
I opened the door to my class and sit in my seat in the back corner. Usually, I never pay attention to what happens in class besides the teacher's lesson. I don't have many friends and like to be by myself most of the time. So I could care less for the school kingkas and queenkas. School was my top priority...for now. The teacher walked in the class and started giving us a lecture about the process of respiration and photosynthesis. I, the only one who was actually paying attention took notes while others were talking or just goofing off. Then, I heard a girl scream, "Kyaa oppa~ please go out with me." Startled by the scream, I looked up. Then, I saw the guy who bumped into me earlier this morning giving everyone a 'mysterious' stare. Girls swooned over his action and continued fan girling over him. I, annoyed turned my head back over to the teacher and continued taking notes. 
-Ring Ring- 
The bell rang for a 10 minute break until the next class period begins. I got up from my seat and walked to the door taking my time. I left the class to go to the vending machines to buy banana milk. 
I put the money in the machine and picked the type of drink I wanted. 
"So hyung are we gonna go to the coffee shop?" I heard a familiar voice ask. I bent down and grabbed my banana milk from the vending machine and quickly turned around to see who it was. 
"I don't know... Maybe." My eyes widened as I surprisingly saw the 7 guys from the coffee shop last night. It was SungGyu and his friends. 
"Are we gonna dance?" The youngest asked enthusiastically.
"I don't know yet, I'll tell you after school." SungGyu replied. "Go back to class, you guys will be late." 
"Neh~ arasso." They answered simultaneously. 5 of the guys left and I too was about to leave but someone called my name. 
I turned around and saw SungGyu waving at me while his friend was next to him uncomfortably staring at me.
"SungGyu??" Trying to sound shocked like I wasn't watching them the whole time. 
"You forgot to add the oppa." SungGyu pouted.
"Miahne~" I apologized playfully.
 "I didn't know you attend this school." SungGyu said. "Why didn't you tell me??" I chuckled. I then look at SungGyu and then his friend. I gasped. "You... You pushed me... Today." I frowned. He glared at me. 
"And?" Trying to get my point. 
"Uh-uh" I sighed. "Never mind" 
SungGyu who wasn't paying any attention to our conversation because of the drink I was holding suddenly exclaimed, "Ok HyeRin this is DongWoo." *DongWoo...I miss him..* I thought. Zoning out, I saw something moving in front of my eyes. It was SungGyu waving his hands in front of me to see if I was okay. 
"Oh sorry...I was just thinking." I explained. 
"Oh it's ok!" SungGyu said. Then, I noticed that DongWoo was gone. "He left.. If you were wondering." He explained. 
"Oh no I wasn't wondering at all. I don't really like him so." SungGyu deflated his shoulders in disappointment. 
"He's not a bad guy... He seems like one but he's really nice. Just.. Alot has happened and doesn't like opening up.." He admitted.
'Oh' was all I could say. I didn't want to upset or disappoint SungGyu but I didn't like his attitude towards me and couldn't forgive him without an apology. 
"Do you want me to walk you to class?" SungGyu politely offered. 
"Oh no it's ok, I'm good but thanks...oppa." I quickly added to make SungGyu happy. "Bye~" I waved to him and walked back to class while drinking the banana milk I bought recently.
Class started once again and I repeated the same thing for the past 3 hours. Listen to the teacher, take notes, and hear the kids talk in class. 
-Ring Ring- 
Finally lunch! I exhaled deeply and got up to get my lunch that was in my bag. Afterwards, I would often go to this one classroom  which is always empty and eat there by myself. I sat down in the corner where no one could see me because that classroom was prohibited. I opened my lunch box and started to dig. I heard footsteps and stopped eating. Slowly and quietly, I scooted closer to the wall underneath a desk. The door burst open nearly giving me a heart attack.
"Aish!" I heard a guy grumble. He sighed. He pulled his hair and looked out the window. "Umma... I miss you... I'm so tired. I don't know what to do." He cried out. I was quietly putting my lunch away. When I got up I bumped into a desk with the chair on top, crashing quite loudly.
"Ugh." I muttered. I turned around seeing the guy in shock. "Oh great.. It's you." I looked around casually. It was DongWoo.
"What did you see?" He growled upset.
"You talking to yourself." I replied honestly. 
"What are you doing here? Were you stalking me??" He questioned. 
"You babo! This is where I eat lunch everyday so don't barge in and take my place." DongWoo stepped a bit closer to me. 
"I didn't! I wanted to be alone. GAWD!!" He screamed. "You piss me off. First, bumping into me, then seeing me at break and now this?? Stop it!" He screamed.
I was taken back by his reaction and cooled down. 
"You know what sorry. I hope you're happy now." I walked closer to the door.
"Yah! Don't sass me!" He argued. 
"Stop being a whiny little girl!" 
"I am not a whiny little girl. I am a beautiful manly person!" He defended. I raised my eyebrows and laughed.
"You are one hell of a guy...guy." I smirked. 
He seemed annoyed and upset which surprisingly made me feel happy inside.
"I am leaving!!" He said. 
"That's what I asked you to do a longg time ago." I pointed out. DongWoo stomped his feet in fury and walked out the door like a little kid. 
"1:0 HyeRin"I chanted. "Shiggeuro!!" DongWoo barked while walking in the hallways. After he left, I sat back down in my corner and finished eating my lunch. 
The bell rang for class to start again, I made my way to the class and sat down in my seat. School was finally over. I smiled to myself thinking about the coffee shop that was waiting for me.  
I opened the door and heard the bell ring over my head like usual. 
"Appa~ I'm ready to work!" I exclaimed. I placed my bag in the office in the back and put my apron on. I cleaned the counter off while I was waiting for someone to walk in. 
"Hyung, do we really have to go?" I heard someone whine, in fact it was DongWoo whining to his hyung outside the door. 
"Yes, we do." Replied SungGyu. "I have to do something." SungGyu then opened the door with the bell chiming above their heads. 
"But then I have to see-" DongWoo stopped and made eye contact with me. "Her..." He gritted.
 
 
 
 
So another update :) 
I hope you guys like it 
comment and subscribe ^_^
-SHINeeSARU