Progress

Turquoise

 

Since that fateful meeting, friendship blossomed between the two of you like the flowers of springtime. Day after day, one book at a time, you got to be an inch closer to the guy who made your heart skip a beat for the first time in your life - courtesy of a smile. You like the slight hint of cologne that wafts towards you when you talk and when his eyes seem to sparkle like a child when you mention classic literature. Now there’s a reason why you should be eternally grateful that you reading such ‘boring’ books those ‘in’ people refer to.

Your friendship doesn’t just end inside the four book filled walls of the library – which was a pleasantly unexpected surprise. You thought that he was like one of those popular boys you know and read of, who’d only let you exist in his private life because he’s too conscious of his social statusbut no, he doesn’t discriminate you in public. He always greets you first when you come across each other at the corridor and he’s always the first one to strike up a conversation when you’re in classroom setting. Of course, you get thrown all those occasional death stares from his fangirls frequently now because of that. Good thing you’re an excellent dodger.

Although you’re at the stage of being close friends with him, you haven’t asked him about childhood yet. The truth is you haven’t had the chance to ask him. Maybe because you were too occupied or distracted by his angelic face or amnesia was slowly attacking your neurons, making you forget about it without your knowledge. Nah, it must be the former. But going back to asking, you consider that it’s not going to make a difference anyway. Well duh, you’ve known a lot about him within just a week. And he can keep the bracelet.

 

 

Skipping across the marble floor, you happily hum to yourself while you reminisce the heart-racing moments with him, your petite blue-green colored bag synchronizing with your bouncing figure. You almost reached the exit doors when someone grabbed your backpack and dragged you into a small alley.

A slight pain shoots through your back after you get shoved against a wall. A group of girls, with around five members slowly surrounds you, closing each possible space of escape. They weren’t your classmates, but their glowering faces were familiar. Finally, one of them with a blonde-dyed hair stepped forward, with arms crossed and an ice cold stare that penetrates through your soul. Must be their leader. You silently thought.

“Aren’t you the flirt who’s messing with Suho lately?” She noisily chews her gum as he scrutinizes you with that stare. Hold on, did I hear that right? Flirt? Ha! Do I even look like one? And don’t you mean ‘friend’? Ridiculous.You mentally retort. You don’t say a word, though. Instead, you study her petite frame behind your glasses, thinking, She’s a Suho fangirl? Who are these people, members of his fan club? I want to join!

“Anyway, we know what you’re trying to do.” Her statement momentarily interrupts your train of thought. Yes, I’m going to seduce him and make him fall in love with me through my nerdy ways. Fufufu~

You weren’t crazy enough to say that out loud so you tried to sound oblivious. ”What do you mean?”

“Tch, oh please don’t act like you’re some kind of innocent little prick.” She laughs, but it had no trace of amusement in it. “We know that you’re only using Suho to get close to our Kris.”

 

What?

 

Alas your mouth finally says the exact same thing out loud as you gaped at their scowling faces. Wait.  They’re Kris fangirls, not Suho’s? Wuuuuut? And OUR Kris? That’s just… insanely possessive. You try your best not to laugh. Must. Not. Laugh. You repeat the mantra.

“Gosh, are you really deaf or are you trying to deny it? Or maybe you’re just too stupid to get what I’m trying to say?” She rolls her eyes. “What I’m saying is, you’re just clinging on to Suho because in reality you’re trying to find a chance to get close to our Kris.” She concludes, satisfaction written all over her face.

That’s it.

You burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter in front of the glowering bevy. Their expressions shifted to confusion and ridicule.

“What’s so funny?” The girl irritatingly asks.

“Nothing.” You managed to speak out. “It’s just that… you’re misunderstanding everything. I don’t have any hidden agenda regarding your Kris. Pfft.” You stop to calm yourself. “And he absolutely doesn’t interest me. He looks arrogant and radiates off an aura of a delinquent – “

A sharp stinging pain surprises your right cheek. The girl has slapped you before you had the chance to finish off your sentence, striking so hard that your glasses fell off to the floor, drawing gasps from the rest of the group. It wasn’t in your nature to strike back, so you grit your teeth and count from one to ten to escape the anger.

“Shut your mouth!  You have no right to insult our cool and godly Kris like that!” She shouted, fuming with anger. “Take it back!” She grabbed your collar, causing the uppermost button to snap off your uniform, exposing your hello kitty-printed brassiere.

Patience snapped of you like a weak twig. It was not in your nature to fight, yes, but that doesn’t mean you’ll just let it pass like that. So instead of getting back with violence, it’s time you play the ‘first one who gets mad loses’ game.

“Tch. What shallow thinking you have.” You faced her, and shot a grimacing-slash-amused look. “Do you think someone like me has the ability to seduce those guys? Wow, thank you for the compliment!” You sarcastically smiled.  “And seduce is not in my vocabulary. It’s most likely to be in yours.”

It took a while for her to get it, and when it finally hit her, her face got redder with rage. “YOU LITTLE-“ She raised her hand and prepared to strike you again,  and you reflexively close your eyes in preparation for the impact.

But it didn’t come. You wait for around three seconds before you take a peek at the girl. Her arm was left in midair, a big hand gripping it, and a very tall figure – a man with a blonde hair –  was behind her. Though you have very bad eyesight as of the moment without your specs, it didn’t take you too long to recognize the man.

“K-Kris…” The girl stuttered, the color of her face dramatically shifting from red to white. “Uhm, I was just…”

“So this is how girls these days pass the time?” He lightly released her arm. “Ah, how scary.” He said, a pinch of sarcasm hidden behind his sentence.

“But she insulted you!” She blurted out. “We just can’t let her off like that without a lesson.” She glared back at you. “We’re just protecting you-“

“Protecting? I don’t need such petty thing. And everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I don’t care what everyone says about me anyway.” He says coolly.

“But-“

“If I see you anyone bully again because of me, not only with this girl, I won’t let it pass.” He commands, raising a brow at them. All of them nodded in unison and scampered away like squirrels.

“Aish, these girls smearing more dirt on my name.” He murmured.

You were still there, dazed and left alone with him. After you had collected all of the lost pieces of your consciousness, you looked at him while he finally made a bending motion, like he’s picking up something. Hmm, maybe he’s not really that bad after all. It’s just the y face, I guess.

You’re not sure, but you think he paused short and murmured something you didn’t quite get while he hands you what he picked up just now. You squint at the object in his hands. Oh, it’s the glasses.

Thank you.” You primly uttered, taking the specs carefully from his hand. You put it on and took a good look at him again. You didn’t notice it before – well because you’re too busy looking at Suho – but you found out that he had really unique but equally handsome features, his sharp nose and bushy brows giving him that striking impression, his blonde hair complementing wall with his skin tone and face.

But you couldn’t stare at him for long because he was staring right back at you, his usually probing eyes appearing soft and dazed. Okaaay, this is awkward. Say something, quick!

“Uhm, I’m sorry you had to save me.” You said, hoping to break from the attention. Luckily, it worked.

“Ah! Nah It’s nothing.” He blinks anxiously and ruffles his hair. “I just hate seeing scenes like that. And worse, it was kinda because of me.”

Oh, looks like I really got the wrong impression of him after all. I shall erase him in my Dangerous checklist now.

“Anyway, I have to go. See ya around.” He adds, and takes a step away. You said a weak ‘bye’.

“Oh wait, before I forget, I have some little advice for you.” He stops and turns back at you. “I think it’s better if you should keep your poisonous tongue to yourself. Trust me, it’ll save your life in the future.”

 

Wait, come again? You gawked at him.

 

HE HEARD EVERYTHING? Oh no, what if he tells Suho that I’m not the meek kind of lady? Eottokhae? Eottokhaeee---

 

“And…” He cuts off your mental panic, giving you the head to toe check-up before leaving with a triumphant smirk and continuing with,

 

 

 

“I like Hello Kitty, too.”