Chapter 4

The Girl with the Broken Smile

 

Another day, another beginning. That’s what Jaehee usually hear Yeseul say. Should she be like Yeseul? Be optimistic and yada-yada? But what is there to be optimistic for? When your life is like garbage with a cherry on top, what is the use of being happy? ‘Oh goody, I sound like a drama queen.’

She took in the ambiance of her workplace. If not for this bake shop, how will she be able to afford all her necessities? This shop contains so many memories. Memories of first pay check. First burnt cake. Skin burning caused by hot coffee. This is where she goes to everyday. Where she witnesses people living their lives…moving on. But what about her? When will she do the same? ‘How ‘bout never?’

Carefully serving the order, she turned to look at the customers. A young lad probably aged 20-21 and a young girl of only about 14. ‘Oh wow. How ic is this?’ But truly, she’s just ashamed of herself. Even 14 year old teenagers have someone to romance with.

Of course, she dreamt of having someone to cuddle with. Someone she can share her life with. Someone she can wake up to everyday. Someone she can call when she has problems. Someone to love and care for her.  Someone, just…Someone.

She turned to look at Taemin ogling at her. “Hey there Taemin, got a problem?” She asked him.

Taemin shifted and looked extremely uncomfortable. “ Uhm. I don’t have any. But it looks like you have plenty. Mind sharing them, noona?” Taemin said as he iced the doughnuts.

“Naaahhh. You know me, boy. I always space out like this.” She said as she helped him.

“That’s what you always say, noona.” He muttered under his breath. Well, unfortunately for him, Jaehee heard it.

“Yah! What is that supposed to mean?” Jaehee retorted, playfully smacking his arm.

Taemin sighed and stopped his task. “Noona, I mean, we have been working together for what seems like a lifetime. You should open up more to us. Me and Yeseul noona. We know you have a lot of problems. But we don’t know any of them. We can help noona. We can. Just tell us when and we’ll be there at once. Because we care for you noona, we do.” Taemin said, voice evident of worry. It surely took Jaehee by surprise. And that’s the reason she’s gaping at him like a fish.

But, no. It took her so long to build this façade. This thing that would separate her from people. This thing that would never let her unleash any emotion that would give away her past. No. She can’t let this happen. Not now, not ever. ‘Fearless Jaehee, I need you.’ She heard her subconscious say.

Without further ado, “Well sorry to break it to you, mister. We’ve only been working together for a good two years. Hahaha. Don’t mind noona. She’s just having a hard time right now. You know girl stuffs. Visits.” She stated, winking at the younger one.

“Uhm. I know you should tell us about your problems. But not that problem, noona! Ugh. Too much information. Girl stuffs, Yeseul noona should handle. Other than that, I think I can help you with it. Especially if you’re going to ask how to satisfy a man.” It was Taemin’s turn to wink.

“Aigoo this boy! Just go back to working. Kids these days!” She ruffled his hair and turned to leave.

“And you should stop calling me a boy too! I’m just a year younger than you!” He retorted as he fixed his now dishevelled hair.

“Merong!” She said as she stuck her tongue out before going out to serve the customers.

‘Phew that was close. Taemin, I’m grateful for the care you give. But no, just no.’

 

><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

Meanwhile on the other side of the universe. Nah, just kidding. In CNBlue’s dorm, it seems like a usual day for the 4 members. They were all sprawled at their dorm’s living room. Chit-chatting about how their day went since they had different schedules. But tonight, they had a different topic, Minhyuk and well uhm…Jaehee.

“And hyung was like gaping at her like this.” Jungshin said as he imitated an alligator Yoona.

Minhyuk threw a throw pillow at him. Oh the irony.  “I certainly was not! I didn’t look like that at all! Aigoo. Hyungs don’t believe this troublesome boy.”

“Yeah, we believe you Minhyuk. We really do.” Jonghyun said in between laughs, making fun of their pseudomaknae.

“Yah, hyung!” Minhyuk said as he slapped his arm.

“Hahaha! Poor boy. You should learn to keep your cool in front of girls, Minnie. You should come to me for advice.” Jonghyun winked at him.

“So you like Jaehee, huh?” Yonghwa said out of nowhere. He had been quiet for a while now.

“Waeyo hyung? Well, you already have Seohyun soooo” Minhyuk trailed off.

“Well, she’s my yeojachingu’s best friend. Just thought I should let you know.”

“Oh. She’s like, close to Joohyun, huh?” Minhyuk said as an idea starts forming in his head.

“They are best friends, genius.” Yonghwa rolled his eyes heavenward.

“Hyung, when will you be having your date with Seohyun again?” Minhyuk asked him a little too excitedly.

The three members turned to look at each other. “Uh oh.” 



 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

How's everyone doing? Hahaha! Here's a rushed update. *O* HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wish you all the best in life. :)) What's your new year's resolution BTW? 

 

P.S. Do you guys know Park Chanyeol? :">