Chapter 2

The Girl with the Broken Smile

 

Yes. Yes. I’ll take good care of myself. You take care of yourself too. Yes. I’ll be a good hyung. Ne. Nado saranghae.~” Yonghwa said with a smile as he concluded his call with Seohyun.

 

He turned to see his dongsaengs smiling like a fool at him. He got a pot holder and shot it to them. His dongsaengs professionally dodged the flying material. Forgetting the material, he sat down and gobbled down the food that Minhyuk prepared.

 

“Guys, I’ll be out later.” he reminded his dongsaengs.

 

“Where are you going, hyung? You’re going to have a date with your girlfriend?” Jungshin asked, wriggling his eyebrows, stressing the last word.

 

Yonghwa glared at the maknae. He tried to stifle his excitement but failed to do so after breaking into a large grin. He’s excited. That’s not a secret. It’s their anniversary. Here’s what happened: Soon after “We Got Married” officially ended, he decided to ask Seohyun out. He was more than shocked when Seohyun suddenly hugged him and agreed. Since then, they had been spending time whenever they can.

 

“Ey, lover boy. Don’t make us jealous of your love life.” Jonghyun complained. Apart from Yonghwa, the rest of the CNBlue members are practically single. It’s not as if no one wants to be with them, it’s just that they haven’t met the right one yet. And with their schedule, dating seems to be impossible. That’s why they admire their Yonghwa hyung.

 

Yonghwa just laughed at his complaint. They were eating peacefully until,

 

“Hyung, can we come with you?” Minhyuk asked, with eyes that can make anyone say yes.

 

“NO!” Yonghwa steadfastly answered, eyes widened in horror of the drummer’s suggestion.

 

“But waeyo?” Minhyuk whined. “Are you going to do some funny business?” Minhyuk continued, face splashed with terror.

 

“Yah! What funny business?” Jonghyun stopped chewing as he stared at them in shock.

 

Minhyuk ignored Jonghyun’s question. “But hyung, it’s not like we get rest day every day!” He continued to complain.

 

Yonghwa contemplated. While it’s true that it’s the only rest day they had in a while, it’s their anniversary. And anniversaries, by all means, should be spent by the 2 involved people. It’s a moment for the celebration of two people’s journey together. Their Divine Sojourn.

 

“Shiro. I don’t want you to come with me” Yonghwa concluded, voice evident of finality. With that, he hurriedly stormed to his room, wanting to prepare himself for today’s activity.

 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

 

Yonghwa and Seohyun decided to meet at the usual: The Sweet Confection’s Bake Shop. They had always loved the place. For here, they can seek privacy that’s lacking in almost every place in Seoul. Besides the very humble and hospitable employees, the pastries here are jjang! They can’t help but to come back for more. Truly, it became their official meeting place.

 

Yonghwa arrived a little too early, not wanting to be late. He sat at the usual place: At the very back of the café. Soon, a waitress came to get his order. Jaehee. He remembered her quite fairly. Well, why not? She was his girlfriend’s best friend.

 

His Seohyun’s best friend. He smile at the thought…His. He liked the sound of that.  They had been going out for exactly a year now. But Seohyun never failed to tug at his heartstrings. Seohyun never failed to amaze him with her impressive way of life. Seohyun never failed to make him more and more in love with her every day. SeoMaknae Effect. His trail of thoughts was distracted by Jaehee’s slight coughing, trying to get his attention.

 

“Sir, what would you like to order?” Jaehee asked professionally. Although she was rather acquainted with him, she didn’t feel the need to ask him informally. Besides, she’s on her shift.

 

“Oh, hello there. Sorry for spacing out. Hmm, the usual please. But I would like the food to be served when Seohyun’s here already, if that’s fine with you.” Yonghwa said, with a sense of uneasiness.

 

He had always been awkward with Jaehee. Although he can tell the girl was a fine one, he can’t help but to notice the bundle of mystery behind her. She rarely smiled. She only probably smiled because she had to, and not that she wanted to. She has a beautiful face. Her complexion was not as perfect as Seohyun’s though. She’s pretty. ‘She’s pretty but with a broken smile, broken eyes and maybe, just maybe, a broken heart. ‘

 

He turned to see her almost done with scribbling the orders.

 

“Okay the usual, so that would be, Caramel Macchiato, Strawberry Frappuccino, a slice of red velvet cake special and a slice of Original Cheesecake? Is that all Sir?” Jaehee asked, giving him a slight smile.

 

“Yes. Yes, that would be all.” Yonghwa answered, responding to her smile.

 

She was about to leave when, “Happy First Anniversary to you and Seohyun.” And with that, she left with a bow.

 

And he didn’t know why. But that somehow made his heart flutter. Not in a lovey-dovey manner, but in a sort of brotherly manner.

 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

He and Seohyun ate in silence. It was a comfortable silence for them. Not those long awkward ones they shared before. For now that they knew of each other’s love, a simple glance and a smile can instantly send their love letters to each other. 

 

It’s usually Jaehee who serves their order. But not today.  And Seohyun wondered why. Of course, Jaehee already greeted her, through text. But she can’t help but to feel alarmed as to why she wasn’t there. Besides, she knew Jaehee’s a fragile girl. She can break down any moment. What kind of a friend is she if she wasn’t there to help her in the times she needed her the most, right?

 

Taking a bite of her red velvet slice, she glanced at Yonghwa. “Have you seen Jaehee?”

 

“Oh her. Yes, she was the one who took our order. I ordered even before you came. Why?” Yonghwa asked.

 

“Nothing, I was just wondering. Isn’t she always the one serving our order? Where is she?” Seohyun asked, eyes roaming around the room, looking for her bestie.

 

“Maybe she’s busy? Or maybe she’s on a break? Ya, don’t worry too much, arasso?” Yonghwa asked her, holding and caressing her hand at the same time.

 

Seohyun nodded but still can’t hide her nervousness. ‘What if she cut herself again? What if she slipped in the washroom and is locked inside? What if. Oh god what if.’

 

Her anxiety finally subsided when she saw Jaehee coming out of the employee’s lounge. She breathed a sigh of relief the moment Jaehee waved her hand at her. She instantly came to their table.

 

“Unnie! Happy Anniversary to the both of you!” Jaehee exclaimed.

 

“Thanks.” Seohyun responded while gesturing her to sit with them.  Jaehee gladly did. “So…Where have you been? You’re usually the one that serve our order.” Seohyun pouted.

 

“Don’t be such a mother. I was on break, you know.” Jaehee muttered, looking out into thin air.

 

Seohyun turned  to look at her namja chingu. He had this I-hate-to-say-I-told-you-so face. She just smiled and lightly slapped his hand.

 

“Jaehee-ssi, you see, Seohyun was so worried about you.” Yonghwa said, turning to look at those broken eyes for the second time today.

 

“Is that so?” Jaehee asked.

 

Her question was left unanswered as they turned to see two tall strangers arguing over something.

 

That instant, Seohyun and Yonghwa knew who they were. ‘Freaking maknaes.’  He knew this would happen, they would ruin their anniversary. And he wouldn’t allow that to happen. With no choice left at all, he turned to look at Jaehee.

 

“Jaehee-ssi, can you entertain the 2 ‘strangers’ there?” He slightly pointed at the table where Jungshin and Minhyuk were at.

 

Jaehee knew who they were. Well who wouldn’t? It’s CN to the blue, ladies. Although she had no interest in Kpop, she’s left with no choice but to hear about it. She’s in the land where it originated, how can she escape from it? But with her lack of interest, she didn’t know any further than knowing who’s in the band. And her knowledge stopped at that. She knew what her friend and her boyfriend was asking of her. She wasn’t stupid.

 

Instantly, she stood up and went to their table. On her peripheral view, she saw Yonghwa and Seohyun quietly leaving the place. When she got to their table,

 

“Good Day, Sirs. How may I help you?” She kindly asked. With those 8 words, the 2 maknaes’ world seemed to stop. It’s as though time stopped and is trolling on them. The two of them were enchanted by the soft sound of her voice. That velvety sound... They were both amazed to hear such a wonderful voice. But one of the 2 seemed to have his heart fluttering...And it's worse that he didn't know why.


AUTHOR'S NOTE:

How is the story so far? Please tell me how you feel so I'll know whether to continue or not... Criticism and suggestions are welcomed. ^_^ 

 

November 25, 2012