Chapter 3

The Girl with the Broken Smile

 

“Uhm. One vanilla frappuccino and an egg pie for me.” Jungshin said, trying to sound uninterested by never meeting Jaehee’s eyes.

 

Jaehee turned to look at Minhyuk, eyes locked together with his, asking for the most important question a waitress could ever bother asking. His order.  The moment she spoke, her velvety smooth voice filling the silence that embraced them, Minhyuk couldn’t help but to crack a shy smile.

 

His gesture shocked the wits out of his tall dongsaeng. The ever-calm Kang Minhyuk, the man who is said never to show whether he takes an interest in a girl or not…finally getting out of his shell? Wait, what?

 

Sure, Minhyuk does smile a lot. But he’s known this Chingu for years already. And that kind of smile can mean many things. Happiness, anticipation, success, excitement, love.  He dwelled at the thought. ‘Love? Nah, Kang Minhyuk is not that easy.’ Then he opted not to jump to conclusions.

 

Being the faster one of the two, Jungshin turned to Jaehee and cutely apologized, “Sorry for the wait. This hyung will order what I have ordered. Sorry he’s usually like this in the afternoons.”

 

Jaehee smiled, bowed and turned to leave the table, wanting to escape the extreme awkwardness her and her kind self got into.

 

“Ya, Kang Minhyuk, just what the hell is your problem?”

 

“Me, oh nothing. I just…just you know. I’m not very good with afternoons.” Minhyuk answered nonchalantly, eyes not leaving Jaehee’s retreating back.

 

“Not good with afternoons your face, hyung.” Jungshin scrunched his nose at distaste. He can’t believe his hyung was being paranoid like this.

 

“Ya! Lee Jungshin, I’m still older than you. I’m still your hyung.” Minhyuk tried to look angry by lecturing his dongsaeng but to no avail. He didn’t look mad. He just looked awkward.

 

Jungshin erupted into a series of laughter. The whole shop turned to see them. He quickly apologized to the customers and hid his face behind the table napkins. “Min, it’s your fault!” Jungshin whispered.

 

“Bwo?! Look at this kid, how am I at fault? You were the one howling in laughter!” Minhyuk gave him the hairy eye ball.

 

“Then, how am I a kid? I’m just a few months younger than you!” Jungshin quietly answered, not wanting to attract attention AGAIN.

 

“Then, act like it. You act like a child. Tsk, shut up before they recognize us.” Minhyuk nonchalantly asked him as he stared out of the window, to the busy roads, filled with people.

 

“Arasso. “ Jungshin said, feeling defeated. But he just can’t let the matter go! “Don’t you think the waitress is pretty?” He continued.

Thump. Thump. Thump. Minhyuk can’t answer at once, his heart beat fastening in the process. What should he say? That he found her quite pretty? Eyyy. That doesn’t seem like a thing the Kang Minhyuk would say. He was plainspoken and blunt. No a cheesy greasy monster.

 

When nothing seemed to come out of his mouth, he just turned to look at Jungshin, who was waiting patiently for his answer. Then he smiled. A meaningful smile.

 

“Jungshin, I---“Minhyuk started but was cut off by the sound of footsteps coming closer to their table. It was Jaehee. And for the second time that day, he was rendered speechless.

 

“Sir, here’s your order. Enjoy your meal.” Jaehee set the plates on the table. She gave a forced smile then gently bowed.

 

Jungshin watched each and every move of his hyung. When he saw him smiling and looking down at the floor stupidly, he knew not to go after the girl anymore. Sooner or later, the girl will be his hyung’s. He knew it. Because once Minhyuk is set to do something, he’ll do it. No matter what the odds are. And that is what made him admire his hyung more.

 

With a defeated sigh, he smiled at his hyung and continued eating in peace.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

 

Jaehee forced herself to get it done quickly. She had to compose herself. She was a waitress. And a responsible waitress, no matter how hard it is, should smile like nothing in this damn cruel world is unfair. As a waitress, she needs to have a long patience since she may encounter a variety of customers. With a gentle slap on her cheeks, she tried to continue the task at hand – preparing coffee.

 

But she can’t help but to think about the incident awhile ago. She seethed in anger as she remembered the scene.

 

“Aigoo, just cause they’re idols, they think they can go and make a fuss here?! They’re not the only people I serve. Tsk stupid time-taking creatures, thinking so highly of themselves. “ She muttered lightly.

 

“Ya, noona. What are you fussing about? Oh?” Taemin asked, lightly putting confectionary sugar on her cheeks, which she quickly dodged.

 

“Ya, Lee Taemin! Aigoo this kid.” Jaehee playfully retorted as she lightly punched his shoulders to which Taemin responded with a laugh.

 

“Saranghae noona!” Taemin said as he went back to his station. “Noona is so pretty~” He sang while walking away, winking at Jaehee in the process.

 

Jaehee smiled lightly. Besides her manager friend and Seohyun, Lee Taemin brought the light into her world. He is also one of the reasons she still wakes up in the morning and face this unfair world. For the nth time that day, she gave out an exasperated sigh.

 

‘Without you three, how am I going to live my life?’ A tear escaped her eye. She quickly wiped it with her apron and continued doing her job. An unusual day this is turning out to be.

 

 

Uhm, here another short chappie. *O* Please tell me how you feel about it. =))