Part 5 (End)

Best Friends?

For months, the duo had been going out constantly. They were slowly taking small steps in their relationship. Hyoyeon was slowly figuring out her feelings for Sunny while Sunny was patiently waiting for the younger girl. As much as she was afraid that she might lose Hyoyeon, never once did she pressured the girl to take a stand. Instead, she allowed Hyoyeon to meet other guys and girls too.

This time was no different. Hyoyeon was out on a date while Sunny was alone at home. Throughout the whole time, Sunny was looking at the clock, wondering where the girl had gone as it was already past 8pm and Sunny was getting worried. However, she resisted her urge to call Hyoyeon while she paced up and down the place.

On the other hand, Hyoyeon was strolling down the beach, one of her palms in the other girl's hand.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Hyoyeon turned her head towards the girl. Somehow she felt different together with the girl. However, what was it that was different she could not tell.

"Hyoyeon-ah, what are you thinking about?”

Hyoyeon scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion at the girl.

“You have been spacing out and you are so quiet.”

Hyoyeon nodded her head absentmindedly. What was she thinking about? Hyoyeon searched her brains for any possible answer.

Sunny.

She was actually wondering where the older girl was and what she was doing. She had wanted to call her to know how she was, but the talk with Eunhyuk brought her back. She was reminded at how Eunhyuk had said that he was bothered by the constant calls and how he wished he had her attention solely. Even though they had broken up, the two dance masters kept their contacts with each other, occasionally sharing tips and information about dance.

Not wanting to repeat her mistake, Hyoyeon had tried her very best to keep the urge of calling Sunny deep inside her heart. However, as much as she tried to have her attention on the girl, she found out that her mind would always drift back to a certain brunette.

“Hyoyeon-ah…”

The voice called again.

“You are spacing out again.”

Hyoyeon gave a sheepish smile to the girl as she scratched the back of her head with a free hand.

“Sorry, Hyomin.”

Hyomin gave a small smile as she resumed her gaze in front. Even though the girl beside her left a good impression and she definitely would like to know more about her, Hyomin knew that the girl was somewhat taken. From her distant glances and her constant space outs, she knew the girl was thinking, specifically about something. Don’t ask how she knew that, let’s just say, a woman instinct is usually the sharpest, especially when it comes down to something related to herself.

“Hyoyeon-ah, it’s getting late. Shall we leave?”

Once again, Hyoyeon nodded absentmindedly. Her thoughts had once again drifted back to a certain brunette. No matter how much she tried to shake her out of her head, she could not and it was slowly becoming frustrating for her.

---

“Stupid Hyoyeon. Stupid Hyoyeon. Does she even realize what time it is now?”

Sunny had been pacing around the same area for the past 30 minutes that if the area was made of soft material, it would have sunk in. Somehow, she was feeling anxious that the blonde had not been back yet. Maybe, not exactly anxious since she was big enough to take care of herself, but more towards jealously.

Sunny had been opened enough to allow Hyoyeon to freely go out with others while still pondering on her feelings while making small steps with their relationship. She knew that the girl had been enjoying her company for the past few months, but she was not sure if the girl still thought of their ‘ dates’ as friendship dates.

Just when she was not able to withstand her urge anymore, Sunny picked up the phone and dialed the number. However, before the dial tone could come on, footsteps and whispers were heard outside the door. Immediately, Sunny put back the phone and rushed to the kitchen, glad that she had already changed into her pajamas.

“I’m home.”

Sunny heard the familiar voice said as she peeked her head out of the kitchen door, holding a glass in a hand. Pretending to have just awoken up, Sunny yawned as she took steps towards Hyoyeon. She could smell the salty sea smell as she neared the girl.

“Hey Sunny, you are still up. I’m dead beat. Sleep early.”

Hyoyeon smiled as she made her way upstairs. Hearing the light tone in Hyoyeon’s voice, Sunny could not help but feel a pang of jealously rising up in her bloodstream. She concluded that Hyoyeon must have had a great time with the girl. With that thought in mind, Sunny slowly made her way towards her bedroom, disappointed and angry at herself for allowing Hyoyeon to go out freely.

Hyoyeon leaned back against the bed stand, her mind replaying the scene earlier.

Flashback

“Here, we are home.”

“Thanks Hyoyeon.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No problem. I guess I just probably wasn’t good enough to steal your heart.”

“Huh, what?”

“I know, you have somebody in your heart, in your mind. I can feel it. She must be really special for you to keep thinking about her.”

“She is.”

“I know. That’s why I think we should just remain as friends then.”

“But…”

“Go get her. I’m sure you can do it.”

Flashback ends

Pressing her fingers against her temple, Hyoyeon tried to ease the headache that was slowly forming. Was she really interested in Sunny? Was that why Sunny was in her mind all day long?

Closing her eyes tightly, Hyoyeon tried to shake the pictures of Sunny out of her mind. However, it had proved too hard for her. Giving up, she laid down onto her bed, hoping that sleep would erase the pictures.

1hour

2hours

Two hours had passed but Hyoyeon still seemed to be wide-awake. Images of a certain brunette seemed to be stuck in her mind, refusing to give way to sleep. For countless of times, she had tried to distract her mind by thinking up of new dance steps or counting sheep, but none seemed to work well. Finally giving up, the girl dragged her pillow towards her housemate’s room and there she stayed for the rest of the night.

---

"Lee Soonkyu! Stop day-dreaming!"

Sunny jolted out of whatever thoughts she was in before and focused her attention on the pile of registration forms in front of her. It was the start of a new semester and a whole new dance class was opening that day. However Sunny did not seem to be focusing and it definitely did mot help when there was a line of students queuing to sign up.

"Sunny-ah, can you just focus first and stop day-dreaming? You can dream all you want later okay?"

Hyoyeon gave Sunny a bright smile, ruffling her hair before walking towards the dance studio. Seeing Hyoyeon's back retreating into the studio and out of sight, Sunny gave a small smile while staring after her.

"Yah! Lee Soonkyu, stop smiling and get on with your work. If any of my supposed to be student decided not to sign up because you are too slow, you are going to get it!"

Sunny was startled at the sudden shout from the classroom. Gulping a mouthful of air, Sunny shook out of her trance and focused on her work at hand.

Inside the studio, Hyoyeon sat down on a vacant bench as she waited for her next class to start. Students were already stretching and doing simple warm-up. As the young teacher watched her students popping and locking to a random music, she could not help but feel a sense of achievement. She remembered of how she used to try catching up with the other students for she was the youngest and the only girl in class. Some may think that being in such a status would render her opportunities to be given to her, but no, she hated it if people did that. It rendered her as weak. Hence, throughout the years, she had practiced hard, giving her all and earning her place in competitions and performances. She thought about how her best friend had used to support her, cheering at every competition and performances regardless of how busy she may be. For that, Hyoyeon was really thankful and no words could express it.

Soon, her thoughts went on to the older brunette outside. She knew the reason behind the girl's trance. After all she was the one who initiated it.

Flashback

"Hyoyeon-ah, aren't you going out?"

Sunny walked into the living room to find Hyoyeon sitting on the couch watching television.

"Nope."

"But I thought you had a date with... With..."

"Nicole? Yeah..."

"So shouldn't you go?"

"Cancelled."

Sunny looked at Hyoyeon in confusion. Hyoyeon had been going out with Nicole for a few times that Sunny thought that she liked the girl since every time Hyoyeon had came back with a bright smile on her face. Though it had hurt her, Sunny refused to show it and had silently been congratulating them.

"Cancelled?"

"Yup."

"Why?"

"Had another date."

"Another date? I thought you liked Nicole. Don't tell me you are two-timing."

Sunny could feel slight anger rising in her. Even though Hyoyeon was her best friend, she could not accept that she was two-timing another person.

"What? No! I'm not two-timing and Nicole is just a friend."

"So who are you dating tonight?"

"My girlfriend."

"So you have a girlfriend? Who?"

Sunny could feel her heart shattering once more as she tried her best to keep in the sour tone in her voice.

"Well, she's definitely not the most beautiful person on earth. She is short and blonde, irritating and nagging and talks like an old woman."

Sunny looked skeptically at Hyoyeon. What the blonde had mentioned were the flaws of the girl but yet she liked her? Sunny was almost sure that she was way better as she continued listening.

"She also cooks well, eats well, plays well, works well, looks like a small kid, acts like one and has lots of ageyo."

Hyoyeon then stood up and walked towards Sunny who was staring at her puzzled.

"But most importantly, I know she cares for me a lot and would never leave me."

Hyoyeon flashed a dazzling smile, catching Sunny in a daze.

"And that person is just standing right in front of me. Sunny, would you be my girlfriend?"

Hyoyeon slowly kneeled down and extended her palm saying those words. She watched the girl's expression changing from stunned to confusion before becoming a shy smile as she waited patiently.

Slowly, Sunny raised her right hand and put it onto Hyoyeon's opened palm in which Hyoyeon used it as a laviator to stand up and pulled Sunny into a hug.

It had not been easy for Hyoyeon to accept her own feelings especially since she had all along thought of Sunny as a best friend. Indeed it was tough at first accepting that her best friend had turned into her girlfriend, but she knew she was getting there.

Flashback ends

"All right class. That's all for today. We will meet next week."

Hyoyeon flashed a satisfied smile as she watched the students gathering their things and leaving the studio. It was the last class of the day and they were free to go.

"Sunny, you done?"

"Give me another few minutes. I just need to tidy up the place."

As quickly as she could, Sunny cleared the mess on the table while Hyoyeon stood against the counter watching. Suddenly, the younger girl leant forward and placed a peck on the older girl's cheek causing a blush to form on her face.

"Hurry up Soonkyu, I don't think you want your girlfriend to wait."

Sunny smiled shyly at the word 'girlfriend' as she quickly dumped her papers into a drawer and locked it up.

"Done."

"Finally. So where do you want to eat?"

Hyoyeon asked as she watched Sunny locking up the door of the studio.

"Home. I'll cook for you."

Sunny latched herself onto Hyoyeon's arm, as they walked towards home. The action reminded Hyoyeon of how Sunny had used to cling onto her arm while walking around school, enjoying the stares of envy from boys and girls alike. The only difference was that time it was envy for having the best friend in the world, but this time, it was for having the best girlfriend.

-END-

PS: Sorry... Was really lazy to update.. So this is the end... Bye...

PSS: If anyone is interested in my other stories, please visit my blog... I realized I have been really lazy to update right here...