Part 4

Best Friends?

Hyoyeon had slowly gotten over her break-up with Eunhyuk. She had slowly begun to change back to herself, being bright and sunny and happy. Laughter now filled the studio once again as she started her day with jokes and weird dances that caused all the students including Sunny to burst out in laughter. As Sunny wiped the tears off her cheeks and eyes, she was glad that Hyoyeon was back to her normal state, instead of the mopping one.

However, despite the normal interactions between the two, there was one thing that kept lingering on the brunette's mind. It was the talk about Hyoyeon with Eunhyuk.

Sunny, why don’t you just confess? I can see it every time you look at Hyo and every time Hyo looked at you, it’s different from what she look at me.

The thought of confessing made Sunny go crazy. She did not know why, but she knew she was afraid. She was afraid of rejection, afraid of what the younger girl would think, afraid that it would ruin the relationship between them. She did rather she be the one hurting...

---

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Hyoyeon looked up from the dance she was thinking of choreographing. She turned around giving Sunny a smile before grabbing a towel and bottle and sitting beside the brunette.

"Hyoyeon-ah... What if somebody who is your friend for 15 years suddenly say that she loves you?"

Hyoyeon choked and coughed on the water she was drinking. Seeing that, Sunny patted her back gently, not minding the sweat that had soaked the shirt of the blonde. When Hyoyeon finally recovered, she stared at Sunny.

"Why would you ask that? Please don't tell me you like me."

"Of course not. Why would I? I'm... I'm asking for a friend."

Though Sunny had replied almost instantly to the younger girl's question, she had already felt a chip broke off from her heart and started bleeding.

"Well, if she is my friend for 15 years, of course I would love her too."

For a moment, Sunny's eyes sparkled to life but then she remembered the word 'friend' Hyoyeon had used in the sentence. This probably meant that the 'love' Sunny was hinting might be different from the 'love' Hyoyeon thought.

"It's not the friendship love Hyo."

Hyoyeon stared at Sunny puzzled.

"It's love love. You know, like couples."

Hyoyeon nodded her head and turned her head back to the front staring at the mirror in front. Through the mirror's reflection, she could see that Sunny was anticipating her answer, but she did not know what and how to answer.

On the other hand, Sunny was waiting impatiently. As much as she did not want to show that she was anxious, she could not help but fidget. She stared at the blonde who seemed to have thousands of thoughts flashed through her mind.

"It's..."

Sunny suddenly flinched her head at the soft voice. Her heart started pounding faster as she anticipated her answer, but somehow the look on Hyoyeon's face told her that she might be disappointed with her answer.

"It's shocking, I guess. And maybe a little weird."

The look on Hyoyeon's face was skeptical, but it was enough for Sunny to have another bigger chip broke off her block of heart.

"It's a bit awkward to have a friend who loves you romatically without you knowing."

Upon hearing that, Sunny's heart shattered completely. It had now turned into a free-flowing river of blood, hurting her every senses. Sunny tried to blink back any tears to prevent them from rolling. After all she was asking on the behalf of her 'friend' right?

Just as Sunny was trying to repress the urge of running away now and then, Hyoyeon turned to face Sunny, her face seemingly serious. Slowly, the blonde leant in towards Sunny, allowing the smell of perspiration get to the older girl.

"But, if it's Sunny..."

Hyoyeon paused, waiting for any reaction from the brunette. As expected, she stiffened upon hearing her name.

"I would not mind at all."

With that, Hyoyeon gathered her bag and walked out of the room, leaving a seemingly stunned Sunny. It was only after the door closed that Sunny started breathing heavily. She could not believe what she had just heard. All of a sudden, she felt her heart growing back to one piece as her eyes sparkled to life. This time she allowed tears to roll freely down her cheeks; the only difference is that it was for joy now. She still had hope.

---

Hyoyeon stood in front of the mirror in the toilet. She was flustered by what she had said; in fact she did not know why she had said that.

Was it that she did not mind actually being lovers with Sunny? Or was it that Sunny was already important in her heart? For all her life ever since she had Sunny, Hyoyeon had never thought of going out with other boys. While other girls were busy making themselves pretty, Hyoyeon felt contented knowing that Sunny was beside her. In fact, Sunny herself had lines of admirers waiting to seek her out given her carefree and cute personality, but time and again Sunny had rejected them for reasons that she had refused to tell even to her best friend of 15 years.

Flashback

"Sunny sshi will you go out with me?"

For countless of times, the boyish guy from the next class, Baro had been asking her out, but time and again she had rejected him, still he did not give up.

"Baro sshi..."

"I know... You aren't free."

Seeing Baro's head drooped down disappointedly, Sunny actually felt bad for the guy. He had been one of the rare pursuiters who had taken her rejection countless of times but he did not give up.

"I'm sorry."

"No worries... Next time. One day I will be able to ask you out."

Baro gave a hopeful smile before leaving. Sunny gave a sigh as she watched the retreating back. She did not want to crush his hopes hence not giving him any definite answer.

"Sunny-ah..."

The classroom door burst open and in came a tanned girl all sweaty and smelly but grinning widely.

"Sunny, did I just see Baro leaving? Have you decided that you want to go out with him?"

Hyoyeon bounced excitedly towards the petite girl.

"Hyo, you know the answer."

Instantly the girl's once wide grin turned into a dramatic disappointment and sadness as she placed her hands into Sunny's fingers interlacing them.

"Oh Sunny. How would you just break Baro's heart? Are you really going to stay single forever?"

Sunny looked into Hyoyeon's dark orbs and put on her serious expression.

"Yes, my dear Hyoyeon."

"And why is that so?"

This time the tone from the younger girl was no more dramatic instead it was filled with honest curiousity.

"Nothing much. Just don't feel like going out."

"But you are going out with me everyday."

"That," Sunny put on a smirk. "I don't mind."

"What? Is that a way to cling onto me?"

This time Hyoyeon put on a playful grin.

"Of course. I would cling to you forever and ever."

Sunny smiled as she latched herself onto Hyoyeon's arms earning a disgusted look from the younger girl. Hyoyeon tried to shrug out from the firm grasp but was unable to.

"Fine. Latch onto me for all you want."

Hyoyeon finally sigh in defeat before grabbing the duo's bag and leaving the classroom with Sunny still clinging onto her. Throughout the whole exchange, Hyoyeon had thought of it as a joke but Sunny had always meant every word she said despite the bright smile and giggling laughter.

Flashback end

Hyoyeon tried to shake the thoughts out of her head. The fact that she had said what she had said was bad enough to make her all flustered but the thought of Sunny loving her was making her flabbergasted.

One breath

Two breath

Hyoyeon calmed herself as she stared at her reflection in front of the mirror. Giving a deep smile, se encouraged herself silently. Perhaps it is better to play dumb in this case.

---

"Hyoyeon-ah... Let's go."

The moment Hyoyeon left the bathroom, all showered and clean, Sunny had already finished packing up the place and was ready to go. Giving the girl the best smile she could muster at the moment. Hyoyeon quickly walked out of the door.

"Where to?"

"How about the amusement park?"

Sunny's eyes lighted up on the suggestion. It had already been one month since the two girls have visited and going there definitely reminded them of many fond memories.

"Let's go!"

Sunny shouted a bit too loudly and happily, earning a few weird stares from the people around.

Once reaching the amusement park, the girls wasted no time in running around greeting people and getting onto long rides.

"Sunny?"

Sunny turned around and found herself face to face with one person that she did not wish to see. He reminded her of how he had went out on dates with her only to realize that he had loved another person all along. It was not that Sunny did not love him, but at least the brunette was faithful during her relationship with the guy.

"Sungmin oppa?"

Sungmin gave a bright smile at the young lady before him.

"Oppa?"

Sungmin turned to his side in which Seungyeon was attaching herself to his arm firmly. Sunny watched the couple who seemed to be slowly sinking into their own world. They had apparently and conveniently forgotten about the gorgeous brunette who stood before them.

"Sungmin oppa? Seungyeon unnie? What are you doing here?"

The two turned to Hyoyeon who was walking clueless to the , holding 2 ice-creams in her hand. They observed as Hyoyeon passed the ice cream to Sunny. Seeing that nothing was abnormal about the two, Seungyeon gave a smirk before chuckling out in laughter.

"Sunny... Sunny... What a shame! During school days it's like that, now it's still in stagnant mode. Tsk tsk tsk, what a loser!"

"What was that for?"

Hyoyeon asked angrily. She had caught the sarcasm in Seungyeon's voice and could feel anger rising inside her.

"Ask Sunny, but that's if she's willing to tell you."

Seungyeon gave a sly smile before walking away from the duo, pulling Sungmin along with her.

"What was that?"

Hyoyeon turned her attention towards the brunette after ensuring that the couple had left.

"N-n-nothing... Look, your ice cream is melting."

Sunny stuttered before changing the topic. As if on cue, the melted ice cream dripped onto Hyoyeon's hand, causing her to quickly up the melting ice cream.

"Sunny, what was Seungyeon trying to say. She said to ask you."

Sunny contemplated on whether to reveal anything. She really did not know how and where to say it. Just as Sunny's mind was busy spinning and trying to create responses that seemed awkward, an odd voice travelled into her ear.

"Sunny-ah..."

On instinct, Sunny crunched at the sound.

"Hyoyeon, stop with the ageyo."

"Then tell me. You seem to zone out a lot and you aren't listening when I'm talking to you."

Hyoyeon pouted as she crossed her arms and started to walk away. However, Sunny was not paying attention. She was once again debating in her mind whether she should confess that she did not realize Hyoyeon was already out of her sight.

"Hyoyeon, I..."

Sunny looked around her, surprised to find Hyoyeon missing. In an instant, a slight panic rose up to her heart that the girl was really angry with her.

"Hyoyeon-ah... Hyoyeon-ah..."

Sunny walked around the amusement park, searching high and low for a missing blonde. She cursed herself for being stupid to let her out of her sight, even though she was the same age as her.

---

"Stupid Sunny! Stupid Sunny!"

Hyoyeon mumbled as she stormed around the amusement park. Hearing all the laughter and screaming was slowly becoming a headache for her, especially without her best friend around. The exciting rides no longer interest her as she walled around the park.

"Hey, Hyo!"

Hyoyeon looked towards the direction of the voice and saw a thin lanky guy waving dorkily at her. Immediately, a grin formed onto her face and her anger all forgotten as she waved and ran towards him.

"Uncle Kwonnie."

"Hey Hyo, where's Sunny?"

In an instant, the anger came back upon hearing the name.

"Stupid Sunny. Don't mention her."

"Why? Did you both quarrel? Wow! I was wondering when would you both quarrel?"

Jo Kwon joked, but when he saw the blonde all-quiet and looking sad, he could not help but feel bad for the two. He had watched them grew up in each other's presence, cling onto each other like twins and never had he seen them quarrelling.

"So what did you quarrel about?"

Jo Kwon asked with affection, ruffling her hair.

"Nothing."

"Nothing and you are angry with Sunny?"

"It's really nothing." Hyoyeon pouted.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Hyoyeon looked up at the guy and saw the concern he had through his eyes. She knew she could trust him for he had heard more troubles from them than the others and he always gave good advices despite his dorkiness.

"Sunny had a secret and wouldn't tell him."

Hyoyeon looked down at her feet, instantly embarrassed at how ridiculous her answer sounded. As if confirming her point, laughter erupted by the side as Jo Kwon laughed, smacking the table with his palms.

"Hyoyeon, just because Sunny won't tell you her secret and you are angry?"

"But we are best friends, best friends should not have secrets! And Seungyeon said it started in high school. Seungyeon knew and I didn't."

"Seungyeon? Han Seungyeon? The one who took Sunny's ex-boyfriend Sungmin away?"

Hyoyeon nodded her head.

"I see."

That was all Jo Kwon said before quickly vanishing, leaving Hyoyeon alone.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

---

Sunny was feeling frustrated as she walked around the park, searching every nanny and crack. She was getting pissed off when she could not find the girl after nearly an hour of walking under the hot sun. Whenever she saw a girl with blonde hair, she would run towards her just to realize that she found the wrong blonde.

"Damn it Hyoyeon. Where are you?"

Sunny stormed through the rides, her neck and legs straining as much as her short body could. It was during this time that she cursed about her height and how it does not allow her to see beyond the vast number of people.

It was then that she caught sight of a certain blonde head inside a compartment. Intuition kicked in and she knew who she was. It was rare for people to sit in te compartment that was only for people on duties but the two of them were friends of them hence they were allowed to visit whenever they could.

Sunny stood behind a pillar and watched as the two people interacted. She saw the girl pouted and as the guy ruffled her hair with affection. As she watched, Sunny pondered over the words she would say when the girl leaves.

She was lucky that she did not need to wait long before the guy vanished and there she was walking towards the girl.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Sunny shouted as she walked briskly. The said girl turned around, surprised but a smile was still evident on her face. However, as quick as an eye could blink, the smile disappeared and was replaced by a frown and a pout.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Sunny shook the arms of the girl, trying to get the girl to answer her, but all she got was a "humph"

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

Sunny continued to whine as Hyoyeon tried to restrained herself from pinching the girl's cheeks. Biting down her lips, she refused to give in and continued her poker face. However, Sunny on the other hand saw the tiny gesture and smiled to herself. Perhaps it might be easier to appease the blonde than she thought.

"Hyoyeon-ah..."

"Tell me your secret then I will forgive you."

Immediately, Sunny stopped her whines and bit down on her lower lips as she contemplated on her next step. She could both be truthful and confess or she could just conjure up a lie. However, she knew that if she does not confess at the moment, she would probably hid her feelings for the rest of her life. Having thought that, Sunny came to a decision.

"Hyoyeon-ah, I..."

Hyoyeon looked into Sunny's eyes. She could sense that the girl was hesitant to speak; hence she put a palm over her hand as an assurance and encouragement.

"No matter what, I will be here for you."

Hyoyeon said softly, looking gently into Sunny's eyes. Sunny took a deep breath. She was risking everything here, her friendship, her relationship, her mind, her heart. If anything went wrong, this would probably be the last time Sunny will be seeing the younger girl. Feeling that, tears slowly welled up in her eyes as her eyes traced the outline and features of Hyoyeon's face. She wanted to make sure that she would remember it forever, if anything went wrong.

"Hyoyeon, I..."

Sunny took a deep breath before gently cupping the younger girl's face and staring into her eyes.

"I love you."

Sunny said in a rush and shut her eyes tightly. She expected the girl to be shocked, to be stunned or even to crack up in laughter. She expected a reaction from the girl bit instead there seemed to be none. After a few seconds, Sunny gradually opened her eyes and all she saw was Hyoyeon's slightly confused and stunned face. Luckily she had anticipated that and had prepared herself for it.

Slowly, she retracted her hands that were still cupping the blonde's face. Muttering an apology, she took off without looking back, her tears falling freely down her face.

Hyoyeon on the other hand was initially shocked by the confession. She had not realized that Sunny had kept such a big secret from her. The moment Sunny revealed her secret, there was a slight regret in Hyoyeon's mind. However apart from regret, somehow Hyoyeon felt relieved too.

Thinking about the confession, she felt her heartbeat beating faster as she recalled about the times she and Sunny would spend together. She recalled the times in which the shorter girl would get angry when someone else was talking to her friendly, or when she did not have enough time for the older girl.
It was then that Hyoyeon realized how Sunny must have liked her all along, it was just that she was too dense to sense it. Finally getting it, Hyoyeon shook out from her trance just to find the older girl missing.

Immediately she leapt onto her feet, as she scanned around the area, looking out for a brunette head. Unfortunately, there at the amusement park, at least half of the heads Hyoyeon had seen were a brunette and what made it worse was Hyoyeon was not that tall to peek over the crowd, and Sunny was certainly short enough to hide in the vast crowd. Still, Hyoyeon did not give up, she ran here an there trying to figure out where the older girl might have been. For countless of times she had called the phone but no one answered. It was then that she heard a soft sob by side of the wall that she found Sunny crying.

Slowly and softly, Hyoyeon walked towards Sunny. She did not know what to say but she was definitely not going to let Sunny slipped by. She was not sure if she was willing to be Sunny's girlfriend. It still disturbed her that all along she had known and treated Sunny as a best friend while Sunny had not.

"Sunny-ah..."

Sunny heard the familiar voice and stopped crying. Suddenly without warning, she stood up and ran away, However, Even though Sunny was fast, Hyoyeon was faster. Immediately, the younger blonde grabbed hold of the older hand and pulled her into a hug, her palms gently rubbing her back.

"Sunny-ah, I'm here. I'm here."

Hyoyeon allowed Sunny to cry in her embrace and to let all the tears out while she continued to coo the older girl.

"Sunny-ah..."

"Hyoyeon-ah... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shock you like that. I was going to let myself bring it to death, but... But... I'm sorry. I would understand if you... You..."

Sunny choked on her sobs, unable to face the girl at all.

"Sunny-ah..." Hyoyeon started. "I... I do love you as a friend, as a family, or maybe it's more than that. I don't know but I do know that if you are not around, I don't know what I will do. Maybe, maybe we can start off slowly. You would be willing to wait for me right?"

Sunny buried her face into Hyoyeon's shoulder as she nodded her head. Seeing that Sunny agreed, Hyoyeon gave a sigh. She did not know why, but since she had promised Sunny she would sort her feelings out, she would try and the fact that Sunny was with her, that was all that mattered.

-End of Part 4-

There it goes... Sorry, I've been really lazy... So last chapter coming up...