Part 1

Best Friends?

"Shake, shake, shake it. Shake, shake, shake it evevybody. Shake it shake, shake it, evevybody!"

"Hyoyeon! Can you stop shaking! I'm trying to sleep here!"

"나 이런 사람이야!" (I'm this kind of person!)

Suddenly, the door to a bedroom barged open and out shuffled a bruenette, carrying a bolster with her hands on her hips and staring daggers at the blonde hair girl who apparently was oblivious to the change of atmosphere.

"Kim Hyoyeon! I don't care if you are this kind of person or that kind of person, just shut up and let me sleep!"

"She asked me to shut up!"

Hyoyeon faked a cry at the outburst to no one in particular. Immediately, the voice softened.

"Hyoyeon-ah, I'm just asking you to lower down your volume and let me sleep first. Be a good girl okay?"

"Okay."

Hyoyeon gave a wide smile before reaching out to turn off the television. Being housemates of three years and friends of nearly fifteen years if not twenty years, there was nothing that the duo did not know about each other. From their shadows to their habits to their darkest secret, they shared everything, including their friends and even clothes and undergarment, maybe except boyfriends. Their other friends and outsiders were always envious of their friendship as they seemed to get along very well, one always being there for the other. However, there was one thing that one of them kept deep inside her heart, afraid to say it out lest it hurt their friendship.

---

"Sunny-ah!! Are you done yet? We are going to be late already!"

"Coming!"

Within seconds, Sunny rushed out of her room, struggling into her coat as she stumbled over a few discs lying on the floor. Luckily that Hyoyeon caught her that she did not fell flat on the cold hard floor.

"Sunny-ah, told you to keep your discs properly after playing."

Hyoyeon scolded as she helped the older girl stabilized before helping her with her coat.

"All I have to do is to make you drunk..."*

"Lee SoonKyu!"

Sunny stuck out her tongue as she gave a sheepish smile.

"Let's go, Hyo! Aren't we going to be late?"

Without waiting for a response, Sunny pushed the slightly taller girl out of the door, making her sighed in defeat.

---

"Hey Hyoyeon! Morning Sunny!"

"Morning oppa!"

As usual, Hyoyeon greeted with a bright smile while Sunny just gave a small smile. The two were at their workplace - Danceworkz that they opened with their hard earned money. Even though the studio was less than a year old, it had grown to become a school where classes were always fully book and students from all over Korea came to seek lessons. Hyoyeon along with the other teacher, Lee Hyukjae, or better known by Eunhyuk as his stage name, were the popular among the students. With their quirky personalities and their carefree teaching methods, they were able to blend into the students pretty well and also allowed them to learn faster. They were even rumored to be dating, but no one but the two people and Sunny knew the fact that they were not. Even though they were not, Sunny could not help but feel the uncomfortable with the rumors. From her observations, she was at least 90 percent sure that HyukJae had interest in Hyoyeon. It was just that the latter was too dense to realize it that's all.

Flashback

"Hyoyeon, what do you think of HyukJae oppa?"

"HyukJae oppa?"

Hyoyeon looked at her best friend with a questioning eye. Seeing her friend nod, she started to think about him. It was not that she had not think about him, but it was the first time that somebody had asked her opinion about him, and her best friend at the very least.

"He's weird, fun, outgoing, interesting and humorous. Why?"

"Nothing."

With every word Hyoyeon described the guy, Sunny felt her heart dropped, her confidence diminishing and her hopes falling. Eunhyuk had fit the character and personality of Hyoyeon's ideal boyfriend. Slowly, her head drooped down low as she pondered over Hyoyeon's words. On seeing this, Hyoyeon's eyes lit up into a playful smile as she leant closer to the smaller girl.

"Are you interested in him?"

"W-what?! N-No!"

"Okay then."

Hyoyeon walked away with a smirk on her face.

"Hyoyeon! I'm really not interested in him."

Sunny exclaimed frantically, making Hyoyeon giggle.

"All right, I believe you. You should have look at your face. It was so hilarious!"

"Fine."

Sunny turned and pouted.

"Sunny-ah..."

Hyoyeon tried consoling the older but shorter girl. However, the latter ignored her and went on with her work.

"Sunny-ah..."

Sunny turned her face away from Hyoyeon. Even though she was ignoring the latter, Sunny knew that she loved the attention from the younger girl. It made her feel as though she was the only one in the girl's eyes.

"Sunny-ah... Don't ignore me. You know how much I love you right? So don't ever ignore me."

Sunny ce away from the girl, pretending to ignore while a smile crept onto her face. The younger girl never failed to know what made her smile.

"Sunny-ah..."

This time the voice was more pleading and desperate than before. Knowing she had won, Sunny turned around to give Hyoyeon a bright smile. However, just as she was about to speak, another voice called out to her.

"Hyoyeon-ah, come and help out here!"

"Coming!"

Hyoyeon shouted back before turning her eyes to the girl before her.

"We will eat first before going home together later."

Giving one last smile, Hyoyeon disappeared into one of the studios, leaving Sunny rolling her eyes in irritation.

Flashback ends

"Stupid Hyo! Stupid Hyo!"

Sunny was stabbing hard on a piece of paper with a pencil. The lead of the pencil had broken but the brunette did not seem to notice.

It has been 1 hour since Hyoyeon had left her at the reception, and 30 more minutes till the class ends, but Sunny was already getting impatient with every second. She could hear music and laughter coming from inside the classroom where the two popular teachers were teaching and it was getting on her nerves that they were having fun while she was stuck outside with no one at all.

Sometimes, Sunny really wished that she had learnt dancing from her best friend, at least she would be able to join in the fun and that she would be able to understand when Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon were talking. It had always seemed that the two dancers left her out in their conversations and for that, Hyoyeon had always apologized for it. It had made her feel better, but still there were times when she felt lonely. She had wished that she had made more friends during their school days with whom she could hang out with besides Hyoyeon. She wished she could find a new job where there was no Hyoyeon or Eunhyuk; in fact she wished she could do anything not associated with the younger girl. Unfortunately, the fact was that she could not. One day without the blonde bugging her or one minute without seeing her was enough to make Sunny uncomfortable.

"Lee SoonKyu! Are you listening?"

A sudden shout right inside her ear brought Sunny back to reality.

"What are you thinking of?"

Hyoyeon playfully rapped her knuckles on the older girl's head, causing her to pout.

"Where's HyukJae?"

"He left. Come'on let's go! I'm starving."

"Hold on, I'll just pack up."

"Hurry, you wouldn't let your best friend starve right?"

Best Friend Sunny thought sourly. She used to love these two words during their school days. It used to show how friendly and steady their friendship were, until when they became older and HyukJae barged into their lives that she started to detest these two words.

"Come'on Sunny, stop day-dreaming. I'm really hungry."

Hyoyeon rapped on the tabletop with her knuckles impatiently.

"Coming! For goodness sake, stop complaining!" Sunny huffed before turning her lips into a smile as she caught sight of the younger girl pouting.

"Stop pouting and let's go!"

Tugging on the hands of the younger childish girl, Sunny quickly locked up the area before walking towards the restaurant, which the two mostly dine in.

"Hey Mr Lee!"

"Oh hi! The usual?"

"Definitely!" the two hungry girls chirped in unison.

"Right on the way!"

Mr Lee smiled at the girl's energy before zooming into the kitchen.

The two girls went to their usual space, which was at the back of the restaurant. It was the place where it was quiet but yet comfortable, free from all the clanking of utensils and plates, and also without any window nearby to distract them from whatever topics they were going to talk about, best friends with eyes solely on each other.

In less than five minutes, healthy and delicious cooking food was placed right in front of them. The smell brought their minds to the far away land but it also only made their stomachs growled. Greedily, both of them started digging hungrily into the food as though it will disappear any second.

"Sunny?"

Sunny stopped eating and looked up curiously at the Hyoyeon, only to see the girl frowning and biting her lips. Her fingers were rubbing against the utensils in her hands as she fidgeted slightly in her seat. Seeing the expression, Sunny immediately knew that Hyoyeon had something to tell but was not sure how. After all, she was still awkward with serious conversations.

"Hyo, what is it? You know you can tell me everything right?"

Sunny kept her voice soft as she tried to coax the younger girl. Hyoyeon nodded her head as she contemplated over her words.

"It's about Eunhyuk. He... He confessed to me just now after class."

Upon hearing the words from Hyoyeon's mouth, Sunny gave a bitter smile. She had foreseen the confession and had thought about the various ways she would respond and even got herself ready of it, but still it did not make it less bitter.

Forcing a smile, Sunny pretended to be excited and happy for her 'best friend'.

"So what did you reply?"

"I just said I didn't look at him as a boyfriend yet, just a friendly oppa. I said that I was not in a hurry for a relationship too."

Sunny kept her head down as though pondering over the answer the blonde gave, but inside her heart she did not know whether she should be happy or sad about it.

"Did I do it wrong?"

A small voice cut through her thoughts bringing her back to the conversation. Sunny looked up to find Hyoyeon fidgeting in her seat and her hand playing mindlessly with anything that was on the table. It was a habit that Hyoyeon had picked up when she was young and had used it in very awkward situation she thought she was in. Sunny smiled at the gesture.

"No you didn't. It's just that i thought that you would not reject him since you both seemed so close together. Some students even thought that you both were dating."

"What! Were not! How could they spread the rumors? How am I supposed to find a boyfriend next time?"

Hyoyeon faked a cry and a pout. The mood was instantly brought up to a brighter level where the two friends could play and joke around comfortably. The awkwardness before was long forgotten as they talked casually throughout the dinner.

---

That night, Sunny tossed and turned in bed. Her mind kept returning to the conversation of Eunhyuk's confession. Somehow or other, the word 'yet' seemed to linger in her mind, preventing her from getting any sleep.

Hyoyeon has not seen Eunhyuk as a boyfriend yet, which means she might see him as a boyfriend in the future.

Was she wrong to not confess first? Was she wrong to say that she wanted Hyoyeon to herself?

Thousands of thoughts went through the brunette's head. Sometimes, she hated the blonde for telling her about the confession. It seemed to be telling her that there is no much time left, and that one day they would have to move on with their lives, find a husband, get married and have children. It hurt to know that she would be apart from her best friend, but yet there was nothing she could do. No way was she going to confess without risking her friendship, at least she did rather hurt herself and run away than have Hyoyeon running away from her.

Just as Sunny was about to fall asleep from the thinking, a few soft knocks on the door shook her up from her sleepiness. Knowing who was behind the door, Sunny did not bother to get up but instead let the one outside to open the door.

"Sunny?"

Shuffled feet were heard against the floor as Sunny felt the person moving closer to her bed and a shadow looming over her.

"Sunny, are you asleep?"

Sunny gave a short and soft grunt, pretending to be asleep though she was not. Opening her eyes slightly and peeking at the figure above, Sunny could make out the shape of her best friend which she had already knew by heart. In her arms seemed to be a small bolster and she seemed to be pondering over something.

Guessing that Hyoyeon wanted to snuggle in with her, Sunny pretended to turn her body to make space for the younger girl. Soon she felt the bed dipped on one side and her blanket being lifted to cover her body. She felt an arm hung limply on her waist and a face snuggling into her back as the 'intruder' made herself comfortable. It was not long before the two of them fell asleep, each gracing a smile on their faces.

Best friend? Perhaps they could keep just that for now.


* [For those who don't know, apparently Hyoyeon cleans when she's drunk]