Against All Odds

VANILLA SKY'S ONE-SHOT COLLECTION [CLOSED]

 

Against All Odds

 

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

This might seem like a cruel joke. Something someone sick in the head would play on a patient. But I can’t help it. I have to test her loyalty to me, and if she fails, I will leave her. Because, no matter how much she loved me in the past, she has had all of those happy memories wiped away. Like a clean slate. If she had met me under different circumstances. If she had not known that I am the CEO of Kim Asia Publisher, would she have still loved me?

The disturbing answer to that is that I don’t know. She seems to be fading away from me these days. Becoming more distant. Her recent bout of amnesia is the perfect way for me to test her sincerity.

I climbed up the steps with my best friends, Lee Minho and Yoon Doojoon, knocking on the large wooden door. Sounds of frantic footsteps come from within the house, and then the door is cracked open by a fraction. She peeks out of the house.

There’s no reaction. A deafening silence fills the air. “Who are you?” She looks at me with a terrified expression on her face, the bandages around her head covered one eye and her forehead. My heart ached for her. She looked so bewildered, so confused by everything.

“Seul Mi…” I sighed. I didn’t want to do this. Yet I had to find out. I don’t want to be in a relationship where I’m led on and miserable. “Don’t you remember me?”

She stared at us for a fraction of a second, before shaking her head vigorously.

“I’m sorry… I don’t… remember.” She looked at us hopefully. “Do you know anything about my past?”

Clenching my fists, I willed myself to lie directly to her. Her innocent and trusting expression didn’t help with my guilt.

Taking in a deep breath, I started. “You, Han Seul Mi.” I paused, trying to find a proper way to put my words. “The last time we met, you said that there was some other guy in your life. Now I find out that there is more than one other guy. Have you been three-timing me?”

Seul Mi froze, staring at me with an incredulous look on her face. “What?” She stammered. “What did you just say?” She looked at me, then at Minho and Doojoon. “Are you serious?”

I bit my lower lip and nodded, hoping that the guilt in my eyes wouldn’t give me away. I peered up at her face, and what I saw shocked me. Seul Mi had a troubled look on her face, and it was clear that she believed every single word that I had said. I never expected it to be so easy to lie to her.

How would she react? I stared at her for a minute, and then she suddenly snapped out of her reverie, and slammed the door in my face.

Minho and Doojoon shot me shocked looks that reflected exactly what I was feeling.

 

(Seul Mi’s POV)

I can remember nothing. Nothing about my life since I was young. When did that happen, you ask? Just two weeks ago. I woke up in a hospital with no memories. Nothing. The doctors said that I had suffered a serious case of amnesia when something had dealt a heavy blow to my head.

Does it hurt? I don’t know. I don’t remember the accident either.

Is it frustrating to not know anything about your life? Yes, it sure is. Especially when three men claim to be my boyfriend. Which one of them can I trust?

That’s the problem.

I don’t know.

“Arrrrghhh!” I screamed into a pillow, hands up in my hair. You have no idea how it feels like to not know anything at all. And the worst part is, to have something that confusing told to you when you don’t even know anything!

I reclined into the sofa, confused. What in the world was I going to do? I sighed just as the phone started ringing.

Hands shaking, I reached out for it and paused at the very last second. What happened if the person on the phone brought me even worse news? I hesitated for a second, then sighed. If I didn’t pick up the phone, I would never know anything at all, right?

Reluctantly, I lifted the receiver off its hook and placed it against my ear. “Hello?” I said in barely above a whisper.

“Hello, is this Han Seul Mi?” A female’s voice asked over the phone.

“That’s right.”

“Your attendance at Kim Asia Publisher is pretty bad at the moment. Do you mind explaining why you haven’t been showing up at the workplace for a week without applying for leave?”

“Work? I work at Kim Asia Publisher?”

The person started to get a little skeptical; as if she didn’t believe I was Seul Mi. I don’t blame her. I would get suspicious if one of my employees doesn’t remember working for me.

“Yes, Han Seul Mi-ssi. You work at Kim Asia Publisher as a Editor-in-Chief.”

My jaw dropped. Kim Asia Publisher? Editor-in-Chief? Are you serious? I have such a high position at that super famous, super globalized company?

“Well… you see… I’ve been in the hospital for the past week. An accident… or something like that.” I muttered the last part under my breath, not wanting her to find out that I didn’t even know what happened to me.

The voice immediately turned sympathetic. “Oh… I see. Do bring a medical certificate with you when you return to work.”

After that, I hung up the phone and sat there, staring into space.

 

(Mrs Kim’s POV)

“Bring her to me.” I ordered the secretary.

Even though my son is the one who is the CEO in the company, I still command a lot of respect over the employees.

“Yes, madam.” She bowed, before hurrying off to find Han Seul Mi.

Han Seul Mi. Huh. That girl had it coming to her. When she didn’t heed my warnings to stay away from Hyun Joong, I had to send someone to hurt her. Now that she’s been in the hospital for serious injuries, I’m sure that she knows better than to rebel against my orders again.

Hyun Joong… he doesn’t know anything about what I’ve been doing to her. He must never find out… I’ve already had his father leave me behind while he moved on to another world. I cannot lose Hyun Joong. He is all I have right now.

“Yes? You wanted to see me?” Seul Mi knocked on the door, interrupting my thoughts.

I glared at her. She still dared to act as if nothing had gone wrong? The look on my face must have made her feel uncomfortable, as a nervous expression took place on her face.

“What is it that you wanted me for?” She asked, her eyes darting around the room.

My eyebrows rose. “Surely a smart girl like you knows what’s going on, right?”

“Well… that’s the problem, you see.” Seul Mi gave me a sheepish smile. “I’ve lost my memory, and-”

The rest of her sentence was lost on me. Lost her memory, eh? I smirked. That makes things a whole lot easier.

 

(Seul Mi’s POV)
Mrs Kim’s face immediately changed when I said that I had lost my memory. I relaxed as well. Surely she’ll cut some slack for me?

A warm smile took place on her face. “Oh dear…” She clucked her tongue in sympathy. “Is that so? Well, don’t worry about anything, then, dear. Just concentrate on your work in the meanwhile.”

I smiled back at her in relief, nodding furiously. I was keeping my job! I was keeping my job!

“Although I hope that you’ll keep your love life and work life separate while you get back on track.”

“Huh?”

“Before you were hospitalized, Hyun Joong cheated on you, remember?” She placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“What?” I gasped. “Hyun Joong seems to nice for that.”

“Anyway.” She ignored me. “Minho is now your boyfriend, according to Hyun Joong. I’m so sorry that my son’s such a player.”

I sat there in silence, trying to comprehend everything she had just told me, when Hyun Joong walked in.

“Mum?” He looked at Mrs Kim in surprise. “What’re you doing here?”

“Oh… just consoling poor Seul Mi here.” She said nonchalantly, turning to walk out of the office.

For some reason, Hyun Joong’s eyes narrowed in suspicion.

“See you at home tonight, dear.” She forced a smile, walking out of the office after grabbing her Prada handbag.

When the sounds of her heels clicking faded, Hyun Joong turned at me with a guilty look on his face.

Hmmm… guilty. So he really cheated on me? For some reason, the mere mention of being romantically involved with this guy standing in front of me made me blush.

“Sorry… if my mum was doing anything weird.” He suddenly said.

“No… erm… everything was alright.” I smiled at the floor. Not quite daring to meet his eyes.

“Wait a minute… this is the CEO’s office… right?” My eyes widened in shock and horror. And he is KIM Hyun Joong…

Oh crud, is he my boss?

, I slammed the door in his face yesterday.

“I’m so sorry!” I squeaked, leaping to my feet and bowing. “I didn’t mean to seem rude yesterday! It’s just that, I was so confused about everything and needed time to think…” My voice trailed off when I heard something.

I looked up to see his back to me, his shoulders shaking. The sound of muffled laughter made me turn red to the roots of my hair.

“I’m so sorry…” He choked out between gasps of air. “It’s just that… your expression when you realized that I’m your boss… priceless!”

I stood in front of him, not knowing what to do, awkwardly shoving my hands into my skirt pockets.

“Well, nice to meet you!” I blurted out before hightailing it out of the office, my heart thumping like crazy. Totally ignoring his calls.

 

(Minho’s POV)

My cell rang, interrupting my daydreaming.

Snatching up my phone, I pressed answer. “Hello? Is this Lee Minho?”

“Yes.”

“This is Hyun Joong’s mother, Mrs Kim.”

My eyes widened, and I dropped the folder that I was carrying.

“I was wondering if you could do me a favour…”

 

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

I didn’t mean to scare her off. But that shocked look on her face was so cute and funny I just couldn’t stop laughing.

I sighed, sitting back down on the chair. With nothing better to do, I reached for my cellphone and dialed Minho’s number. “The number you have just called is busy. Please try again later.”

Eh? Strange. Who’s he talking to?

Just then, a knock on the door made me look up.

Well, look who’s back again.

“I-I’m sorry for interrupting…” She stammered, looking at her feet. “But I was told to pass these documents to you for approval.”

It was like college all over again. When I first met her and she wouldn’t stop stuttering at every single sentence, looking at her feet instead of my face.

“Hey.” I reached over and put the documents on my desk. Then, I lifted her chin up to face me. “My face’s up here, not down there.” I smiled at her to show her that I wasn’t angry or anything.

She smiled tentatively back at me. “Yes sir.”

“Call me Hyun Joong.” I grinned back.

“Neh… H-hyun Joong.”

I sat back down on my chair. “Sit.” I motioned to the empty chair in the corner. We chatted throughout the entire workday. I could tell that after a while, she was starting to relax around me. Her tense demeanor was gone and she didn’t stutter anymore. It was like how it was before her amnesia.

“I think it’s time to go already.” I looked at my watch.

“Omigosh! I didn’t get anything done today at all!” She wailed.

“It’s okay.” I smiled at her. You’ve only just been discharge from the hospital. For this entire week, you need updating on what has been going on. Meet me here every morning, okay?” I patted her on the shoulder, before leaving.

 

(Minho’s POV)

What in the world? Why was Mrs Kim asking me to pretend to be Seul Mi’s boyfriend?

“Whatever it is, I’ll give you. So long as you help me with this little request.” Her words echoed over and over again in my head.

She didn’t explain why she wanted me to do this. Just told me that if I did, she’ll reward me with something I cannot resist.

Oh, heck. Why the hell not, right?

 

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

Over the next few days, I could feel her warming up to me.

“Right, Hyun Joong?” She smiled at me, after saying something about how much she hated manipulative people.

“Right, right.” I nodded absentmindedly, staring at her face while she talked.

All of a sudden, I found myself reaching out towards her, and pulling her face towards mine. I kissed her on the cheek, before moving to her lips. She didn’t resist, and wound her arms around my neck.

I don’t know how long we stayed that way, but I know that my mum was the one who spoilt it all.

“Ahem.” She said, when she walked in. I knew she would be angry. She never liked Seul Mi and was always pestering me to leave her because Seul Mi was too ordinary.

Seul Mi and I jumped apart, faces red as a flame.

“Well now, Seul Mi.” She said curtly. “I thought that you would have more sense than that. Making out with your boss in public.”

“We weren’t making out!” I protested. A simple kiss, that’s it!

“And I thought that you’d be more sensitive than that.” She continued, her eyes glinting dangerously. “After all, seeing that you’re already dating one of his best friends, Minho.”

My head snapped up and I gaped at my mum, before turning to Seul Mi. She looked at me, opening to speak, but I cut her off.

“I didn’t now that you were playing me.” I croaked, my eyes searching her guilt-ridden face.

“I wasn’t…”

“So now you’re lying to me? I can’t believe I let myself get played by you!” I burst out yelling.

Seul Mi’s eyes flashed with anger. “I DIDN’T ASK YOU TO KISS ME! AND YOU’RE THE ONE WHO CHEATED ON ME IN THE FIRST PLACE!”

“YOU DIDN’T PUSH ME AWAY EITHER!” I yelled back, before stomping out of the office, ignoring her accusations of me cheating on her. How could I have? I was the totally faithful one. The devoted one. Look where that got me. I’m such an idiot for trusting her all these years.

Such an idiot.

 

(Seul Mi’s POV)

I was numb all over. I couldn’t believe it.

“I’ve got to go after him. Explain.” I muttered, the moment the realization of what I had done really dawned on me. I stepped backwards and tripped, my hand pressing against someone’s phone on the table.

 

(Doojoon’s POV)

I was with Minho when Hyun Joong suddenly called me on my phone.

“Pick it up.” Minho said. “Your ringtone is so annoying!”

I hurried and pressed the answer button. Immediately, Mrs Kim’s voice came through the speakers.

“No.” Mrs Kim said. “Stay away from my son. You’ve hurt him enough.”

“I can’t!” Someone blurted out. I couldn’t believe what I was saying. “He means too much to me!”

That voice… Seul Mi? The four of us were best buddies throughout college… Except for Hyun Joong and Seul Mi. Those two were more than just buddies. The perfect campus couple.

Me and Minho looked at each other. There was definitely a heated argument going on.

“If… if you don’t stay away from Hyun Joong, I will send you far, far, away!”

Our mouths hung open when Seul Mi answered.

“Far… away?” Her voice had taken on a childlike quality. Scared, vulnerable, helpless.

“To a place not even in this world.” She threatened. There was silence. And then… “You called someone?” Her next few words were cut off when the line went dead.

“Omigod… Seul Mi…”

We looked at each other, a loss for words.

 

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

I had to apologise to her. It was all in the heat of the moment.

The next day was Saturday and I headed over to Doojoon’s house first to confide in him. When the door opened, someone called out. “Who’s that, Doojoon?”

“Ehhhh… It’s Hyun Joong.” He looked at me with wide, frightened eyes.

Seul Mi walked out from behind him and froze when she saw me.

I gaped at her. What was she doing at Doojoon’s house?

“Seul Mi, I’m so-”

“No need to say sorry!” She grabbed Doojoon’s arm. “I’m with Doojoon now, you see.” She grinned awkwardly at me. “You were right about me.”

My face turned stony, and I spun around and walked right back out of the house.

 

(Doojoon’s POV)

“I don’t know. The moment he left, she started bawling her eyes out…” I murmured frantically over the phone to Minho. “I think we should help out…”

“Yeah.” Minho agreed. “But for his mum to do that. Gosh, she’s eviillll…”

“Yeah.” I looked at Seul Mi, who was hiccupping on the sofa, her eyes red and vacant.

“Okay… we’ll set them up! But we’ll explain to Hyun Joong everything we’ve heard first…” Minho said.

“Okay. I’ll explain our plan to Seul Mi. You call him and try to explain everything.”

“Kay. Bye.”

 

(Minho’s POV)

I typed in Hyun Joong’s number and pressed call. The ringtone droned on for what seemed like ages until he finally picked up. “What?” He asked over the phone, visibly irritated.

“Hyun Joong ah…” I sighed. “It’s not what you think it is.”

“What else is it than?” He snapped.

“Well, the truth is that…” I paused, nibbling on my bottom lip. How in the world was I supposed to get the truth across without making it seem like I’m insulting his mum?

“What?”

“Your mum… she…” I swallowed. “She blackmailed Seul Mi into tricking you that she’s with someone else.” Everything poured out, a torrent of truths. “She tried to make me act as if I was her boyfriend, but we never met up because she was always tied up with work. And we overhead the other day when you left the office after a fight with her. Somehow, she managed to call us on your phone, probably pressed speed dial or something. But we overhead your mum threatening to send someone to finish Seul Mi off if she continued to stay with you.” I paused for a breath, hearing nothing on the other line. “Hello? You still there?”

A deafening silence greeted me, before he finally said something. “I thought my mum had something to do with it. She was being too nice to Seul Mi a few days before, when she had always hated Seul Mi before the accident.” The sounds of rustling came through the speakers, as though he was running a hand through his hair.

Then, without warning, the line went dead.

 

(Mrs Kim’s POV)

The sound of footsteps stopped right behind me. I waited for a moment… but there was nothing but silence.

“Aren’t you going to say something?” I remarked, the moment my cup of tea left my lips. I placed it back on the saucer with a clatter.

“Mum… why are you always doing this to me and Seul Mi?” His frustrated voice cut through the air.

Do what? Why does he make it seem as though I’m always the bad guy? I’m just protecting my dear son! That girl just isn’t fit for him, doesn’t he see?

“I did nothing wrong.” I huffed indignantly.

“Blackmailing her is nothing wrong?” He snarled.

That witch! I knew his friends would tell him after she called them!

“My dear, can’t you see? She’s not good enough for you.” I said gently. “You need to find someone who can suit a person of you with high status.”

“You don’t understand, do you, mother?” He spun my chair around to face him. “It’s not about money, or about status. It’s about love.” He sighed and turned away. “You and dad both loved each other, and that’s the reason why you both married, right? It’s not because of money or anything. Father was a middle-class person when you married him. It was only because of his innovation that he became this successful.”

I bit my lip. I remembered all too well.

“Do you want to dishonor your memories with him? By saying that you marry people only for money? Imagine how sad dad would be right now if he heard you say that.”

“Stop… stop…” I pressed my palms over my ears, blocking out his words.

“Mum… I really love Seul Mi, and I don’t want anyone else because of their money or status.” He knelt down and looked at me in the eye. “If you truly love me, you would want me to be happy, right?”

I looked at him for a moment. “You’re right.” I answered resignedly. “I’m so sorry…”

“Thank you, mum.” He relaxed. “Thank you.” Then, he turned and stood up, leaving the office.

 

(Seul Mi’s POV)

Doojoon sat beside me on the sofa, telling me of everything that we had gone through as a foursome these past few years. Somehow, the memories still wouldn’t come back, and being told of them weren’t the same as having the memories of experiencing them before.

It felt different, held an empty meaning of nothingness.

“You still don’t remember anything, huh?” He asked me, when he noticed me daydreaming.

“No.” I smiled apologetically. Here he was, being so nice and trying to help me remember, and I wasn’t even trying.

“It’s okay. The doctor said that it takes something big to help you remember.” He sighed, patting me on the shoulder.

I nodded glumly, before heading towards the front door.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

“Home. I can’t stay here forever, can I?” I replied, throwing open the door and stepping out into the busy pavement, blending into the many passersby on the street.

 

(Hyun Joong’s POV)

I was nearing Doojoon’s home, when I saw a familiar person walking past.

A head full of chestnut brown hair, the small frame and slight shoulders. I gasped and broke into a run, just as someone approached her.

A gangly youth and his friends were saying something that I couldn’t hear, amidst the incessant chatter of the crowd and the sound of vehicles driving by.

I saw her trusting face break into a smile, and say something back to the group, before turning to follow them.

, no, Seul Mi. Not again.

The first time I met Seul Mi was when Doojoon, Minho and I saved her from a gang. The exact same scenario played out in front of me, without my two best friends at the side this time.

I dashed down the alley where they had gone, when I saw them advancing towards Seul Mi.

“STOP! OR I’LL SCREAM!” She warned them, her hands outstretched in front of her. An alert expression on her face as her eyes darted here and there.

“Whatever you say, babe.” They chuckled, before pouncing on her.

Screams echoed down the alley as I began to see red.

“Let go of her!” I yelled, punching the nearest guy I could get. I grabbed one of them and pulled him off Seul Mi, and then I took hold of her wrist and started running as fast as I could. I could feel her stumbling behind me, as she struggled to keep up.

When we had managed to get away safely, we stopped. Seul Mi’s hair was disheveled and her blouse was ripped at the shoulder.

“Never… EVER… do that again.” I panted, leaning against a wall.

“That’s what you said the last time. Thanks for saving me again.” She smiled back.

I froze. Last time? Again?

“I got back my memories. I don’t know how it happened, but it all came back in a rush when I was attacked by them.”

“Thank god you’re okay.” I enveloped her in a tight hug, and she s her arms around my waist.

“I’m so sorry…” She choked out, and I could tell that she was crying.

“Hey… hey…” I leaned down and looked at her. “It’s okay.” I said gently, wiping the tears off her face. “So long as we’re both fine.”

She smiled back tentatively at me and nodded. I took her hand and intertwined my fingers through hers.

Everything was back to normal, and there we were, once again united, against all odds.

-------------

Requested by: Blossy

Writer: minminXP

Wawww. This is my longest one-shot ever. (exhausted)

Hope you like it, I tried to put in everything you requested for, which explains why the plot seems full to bursting with stuff. Sorry if it's not up to standards :x