Chapter 3

Breaking Bonds, Forming Ties

 

***samchon means uncle from father's side***

 

Chapter 3

***

Noona, noona.Look, I caught a frog,” the little boy held up a slimy frog.

 

The girl drew back in disgust.

 

Take it away! I'll tell umma you ate her chocolates!”

 

The boy quickly dropped it and wiped the slime on his shirt and held his hands up. “My hands are clean. Hug me!” the boy whined.

 

Alright Joonie.”

 

The girl picked up the boy and left the large field. She carried him all the way to a mansion. The mansion had large columns out front, and ivy creeping up them. There were large irons that opened up as the girl slid a key card.

 

Welcome Joon Hee aghassi.” a robotic voice mused.

 

Joon Hee dropped the boy on the marble floor, and looked around. All or the maids and butlers were gone. Why?

 

Umma! Appa! Where are you~” Joon Hee yelled.

 

Shh! Stay quiet. Your abeoji is ill” a maid called out from the kitchen.

 

The maid carried out a tray with soup and tea. With the tray in one hand, she raised her other hand and pointed her hand upstairs, returning them to her lips, signaling the kids to be quiet. The boy giggled and mimicked the maid. She shushed them again. Joon Hee remained quiet. She looked down at her feet. The maid walked up the marble steps and the children followed close behind. The maid opened knocked and opened a double door. She opened it skill fully with one hand and walked in.

 

The children sneaked into the closet as the door closed. On a large king sized bed, a handsome man lay in it, with an IV needle stuck in his arm. The man's handsome face was carved with wrinkles and bags. His eyes were closed and grasping his hand was a lady. She had tears sliding down her face, and was whispering something in audibly.

 

Take care of the kids,” came a hoarse voice.

 

The lady looked up and grasped the man's hand tighter.

 

Nampyeon, can you hear me?” the lady asked worriedly.

The tears on her face fell harder and sobs were starting to emerge. The two kids in the closet glimpsed at each other.

 

What’s wrong with appa?” the boy asked.

 

Appa is sick.”

 

The boy started chewing his lip. The man started coughing. As he coughed, red spots appeared on the white sheets before him. The lady lost it and threw herself across her husband.

 

Jagiya, stay strong~” she cried.

 

The man coughed once more. He coughed and coughed when he grabbed his throat and wheezed.

 

APPA!!!” Joon Hee yelled out.

 

She scrambled onto the bed and hugged the man. The boy hid there hiding silently. He got up and walked slowly to his abeoji. He slowly climbed up and reached for one of the man's hands. He grabbed it and held on tight. The man returned thee squeeze with whatever strength he had in his body.

 

Be strong. You will be the man of the house soon. Protect your sister. Be a guardian for umma. Suho...” the man wheezed

 

The man gasped and was silent. Forever. The lady and her daughter hugged each other as the wept. The boy sat there puzzled, with his father's warm hands turning cold.

 

Appa?”

 

APPA!”

 

Suho woke up to a start as he gathered his senses. It was just a dream. He looked around and noticed a familiar environment. A kettle whistled in the kitchen of Joon Hee's villa. He was sweating, despite the ice pack on his back that had been recently replaced. He sat up on the bed and rubbed his sore back.

 

That deserves to die.

 

He tried to stand, and collapsed. He rolled his sweats up and massaged the deep purple bruises on his calves. He tried to stand again.

 

I shouldn't of walked too much with Jisu.

 

Joon Hee came in with the family physician, and Suho sat back on the bed. He got on his back as the doctor took out an assortment of ointments. Suho took off his shirt and his doctor began applying the various medicines, and massaging the bruises.

 

Your saeabeoji is still hitting you?” the doctor asked.

 

Obviously,” Suho hissed in pain.

 

What reason this time?”

 

Jisu. He doesn't want me with Jisu, samchon,”Suho said.

 

The doctor sighed and glimpsed at Joon Hee. She looked down at her feet.

 

Are you doing this on purpose?” he asked

 

NO. I love Jisu. How does that old fart expect me to marry her without complaint. He's just gonna choose someone he knows and make her make my life a living hell.”

 

He hasn't chosen yet?”

 

No. I haven't even heard him mention a girl,” Suho claimed

 

Maybe he might drop the idea of arranging a marriage,” Joon He suggested.

 

Suho shook his head.

 

Would he do this?” he asked pointing to his back.

 

Joon Hee left the room as Suho's uncle continued to apply the medicine. He wrapped gauze around Suho's waist and contemplated about his brother-in-law.

 

Probably should open a whole new line of yard sticks if he breaks them at this rate.

 

Suho, it might be best if you broke up with Jisu. Tell her the truth and she will understand,” Suho's uncle said patting his back lightly.

 

No samchon, I can't lose Jisu.” Suho shot back.

 

Suho's uncle shot his hand up defensively. He massaged his back before leaving and looking at the suffering Suho.

 

If only your mother was here.