Chapter 1

Breaking Bonds, Forming Ties

 

Chapter 1

***

 

Outside the snow fell lightly, as the boy with equally pale skin trudged across the street. In his hand he held a small gift of love for his girlfriend. He glanced at the pink bag lovingly. He really loved her.

 

I hope she likes it.

 

He shivered as the snow continued to fall, and marched on. He stopped at a small office and climbed up the stairs besides it. He climbed another flight of stairs and stopped in front of a white door.

 

Number 369, right?

 

The door had a painting of a girl holding a balloon, looking up into the vast whiteness of the door.

 

Cute.

 

The boy knocked and waited. The door swung open, revealing a girl with straight long hair and soft brown eyes. She smiled. The boy meekly smiled back.

 

Joonmyun, right? Jisu told me a lot about you.”

 

The girl stepped aside, letting Joonmyun step in.

 

Call me Suho. Jisu likes it better.”

 

I'm Chaerim”

 

Her roommate?

 

Chaerim just smiled and closed the door. She gestured towards a small couch and left. Suho sat on the couch, and rubbed his hands together to warm his hands. She returned with a tray of tea and snacks. She placed a teacup down on the coffee table, and poured a green liquid from the clay teapot. She set down a small bowl of Saewookkang. She took the tray and left.

 

Suho observed his surroundings, and took it in. The whole place was very simple, elegant, yet modern, with a touch of attractiveness. It was very white, with the occasional burst of color.

 

So this is where Jisu lives.

 

Suho picked up a small piece of Saewookkang, and nibbled on it. He got up and walked around. Against the wall, there was a vast shelf of books. He looked at each title and half expected to see something like a manhwa. He picked up a book and flipped through it, staring at the pages of a foreign language.

 

 

Jisu reads all these? I never knew...

 

Chaerim returned and Suho tried to quickly cram the book back to its original place. Chaerim gave a motherly smile, and asked, “That is a good book. Can you speak or read English?” He shook his head. Chaerim's smile faded a bit.

 

Jisu will be out soon,” she said.

 

She grabbed a book and left. Suho sat back down and reached for another piece of Saewookkang. He sipped some of the tea, and popped the snack into his mouth.

 

Oppa, don't eat that. You'll get bad breath. I wouldn't kiss you anymore.”

 

Suho looked up and saw a girl with oversized sweater, a large scarf and brown hair tied up in a bun. She had a purse slung over her shoulder, and 6 inch heels on. He smiled.

 

Jisu, you look stunning, as always.”

 

Don't I?”, she mused, twirling to show off her figure.

 

He stood up and walked over, embracing Jisu. He was at least two heads taller than her. He handed her the small pink bag, and she took it willingly.

 

Oppa, you didn't have to.”

 

But I did for you.

 

She opened the small box, revealing a ring with a small ruby embedded in it. She gasped, and didn't hesitate to slip it on her fingers. She admired it and wrapped her arms around Suho.

 

Thank you oppa!”

 

She reached for his neck and kissed him on the lips. He picked her up and spun her around as they continued to kiss. They broke away and stared lovingly into each other's eyes.

 

Kaja.” Suho said.

 

She grinned and grabbed for Suho's hand. They walked out together and hailed a cab. After they got in, Jisu asked, “Oppa, you do know that I love you, right?”

 

Of course.”