Without Meaning

Before I Forget
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Today the smile appearing on the face before him warmed him to the very roots of his soul. Today he could feel his heart beating in his chest, painfully aware of his own body and mind. Today mattered.” – Today

 

 

 

 

 

 

Within the following week, thanks to Changmin’s obsession with this new noona whom he had met albeit by chance at a coffee shop Yoochun had set the first work meeting at, the rest of the group knew about her. Each had wanted to meet Sophie and yet on only two differing fields of interest – one that she is a fairy godmother and two that she is one associated to their playboy friend. The irony was rich, they said.

And so it was not a surprise when Cassie dropped by the boutique one Monday morning with Yunho, intent on seeking professional help on setting up a wedding – theirs, as a matter of fact – that was planned to happen in two months.

“We want the whole works – the engagement, showers, the wedding ceremony, the gown, the flowers,” Cassie smiled, sitting across Sophie on a couch while Yunho looked at the photos in her office. “I understand this might be a little too much to handle at such a short time but you’ve been recommended and we’d like to look into you first before checking another.”

“That’s fine. You caught us at a great time, actually. We’re placing the final touches for a wedding next week and after that our schedule’s free for you.” Sophie beamed, leafing through her portfolio for a concept she thought this couple might like. She knew them, of course, and having them here was both surprising and exciting. The projects the boutique has been getting were consistently better than the last. “What do you have in mind?”

“Well, I’ve always wanted to do it outside and Yunnie prefers a dusk wedding. We were thinking a friend’s family ranch. It’s in Busan though. Will it be a problem?”

“Not at all. We can arrange for transport even as early as three days before the event.” Sophie watched as Yunho settled beside his fiancé, easily seeing that they were quite a couple. Their exchange of smiles didn’t escape her. This was fittingly the kind of woman she had thought would make his type settle. So much for dreaming. She remembered saying he was her ideal man. Well, at least the competition is a clear win. “Do you have any preferences this early on?”

“She’s the boss,” he says, grinning as he twirled Cassie’s hair around his finger affectionately. “As long as I get to marry her at the end of it, I’m game for anything.”

“When did you propose?” She smiled, noting the lack of rings on both their fingers.

“Um, well, it was --”

“Last night.” Cassie hurriedly supplied, patting Yunho’s knee in case he was about to answer differently. “It was spur of the moment, really.”

“Yeah. She’ll have my grandmother’s ring, but I just had to ask last night. I guess when it’s time, you know it.”

There was a big urge to ‘Aww’ but Sophie stemmed it with an indulgent smile. It was becoming increasingly difficult not to just watch them. Perfect couples like this exist for perfect weddings, and more than it being a challenge it was thrilling. Superstar Sophie thinks she was born for this and she has to agree. Game on.

Two hours later, she had a happy bride and a surprisingly involved groom. Despite his declaration of an all-yes earlier, Cassie made sure her fiancée was consulted of her decisions. Yunho, in return, supplied and enhanced them. It was a smooth-sailing discussion that was almost too good to be true. If all wedding arrangements were like this, she could sleep at midnight without having to disconnect her home phone to avoid nocturnally worried brides.

“Honestly, I expected it to be more toxic. Friends of mine seemed so bothered before their weddings.” Cassie confided when Yunho excused himself to take a call. “How long have you been doing this?”

“Two years. We’re still fairly new, but word-of-mouth has helped a lot. Speaking of, may I ask who told you about us?”

“It was actually more of overhearing it than being told directly.” The bride smiled sheepishly, setting the teacup on the table. “Mrs. Park Hee Young. She’s our friend’s mother. Park Yoochun?”

“Ah yes. Since partnering with Mrs. Park, we have been steadily busy. She’s mainly the reason we have managed to survive until now, what with all the other wedding planners around.”

“That might be true, but I’m sure it also has to do with your team. I’ve read about you on blogs and they’re all saying there’s a personal touch to your work. Was this always an interest?”

Sophie smiled shyly, nodding. “I was brought up in a romantic family. I guess I grew up believing good endings are possible, however rare they are.”

“True. Is it that hard to find that you’re still without?"

“What do you mean?”

Cassie nodded for her hand. “No ring.”

There was a wistful smile before Sophie nodded, “I’d like to think he’s just having trouble catching the train. He’ll come eventually.”

“Really?” The heiress was genuinely intrigued. “Not even a boyfriend?”

Sophie was interrupted from answering when a knock on her glass door was followed by Yunho peeking inside, his phone over his chest. “Sorry ladies. Cassie, I have to take this call at the car, I need the figures from my laptop. We’re okay here, right?”

“Uh-huh. Girl talk,” she explained, laughing when he rolled his eyes. “I’ll catch up in a few.”

“Alright,” he then turned to Sophie, “Thanks for accommodating us. We’ll try not to give you too much headaches.” He then stepped back and made for the front door, but not after sending Cassie a wink.

“Where were we? Oh yeah. No boyfriends, really?”

“Well, there was one once.” They laughed. “Presently, none.”

“I’m wondering if I should set you up for a date.” At the answering laugh, Cassie argued that she wasn’t the only hopeless romantic in that room, which was met with easy agreement. There were liking each other more. “Listen, I’d like to stay and chat but Yunnie and I planned quite a day. If you’re free, you should come to our launching event on Wednesday. I’ll text you the details. Most of our entourage will be there, you’ll be able to get to know them.”

 

“Not bad,” Yunho nodded approvingly when Cassie slipped into the passenger seat, having waved at the wedding planner before riding the Audi R8. “Will she come?”

“Uh-huh.” He had to laugh at her wide grin when she turned to him. “I like her.”

“Me too. Too bad Yoochun doesn’t. At least not in that way.”

“Says who? Yoochun’s always interested, we just have to make sure it lasts. Like forever!” She jabbed his arm when he made a face, earning a feigned wince. “Oh you of so little faith. I really think they’d be good together.”

“Fine, fine. But if you’re so bent on matchmaking, why don’t you start on Jaejoong?”

“He’s a hopeless case. The only possibility he’d settle is when he knocks someone up, and even then I’m sure he’ll do quite a job of running. Plus if we’re on that track, why don’t I start with you?”

“Hey!” He exclaimed. “Sorry, babe, I’m taken. See?” He brings his left hand up, a ring drawn on his finger. She laughed. “Next time we get the props.”

“Good idea.” She pouted. “Lunch? I’m hungry.”

“I found this new place. Let’s check that out.” He grinned, revving the engine to pull into traffic.

 

=&=&=

Two days later, Sophie was standing among the crowd that gathered for the launching of a Diamond Enterprises’ new cosmetic line. Cassie had sent her an excited text earlier, saying she’d introduce her after the launch. Prominent people littered the hall, punctuating the kind of crowd expected at the wedding. Lacking a notepad, she busied herself with typing ideas on her phone, occasionally watching the crowd.

She saw Cassie first, who was with her parents. They master of ceremony quickly acknowledged their presence, followed by DBSK’s, who had then entered the venue. The five men easily became the reason for the commotion, as they were quite a sight when together. She couldn’t even begin to describe how striking they were.

Yoochun found her soon enough, aware that she was in attendance following their short phone call earlier. She had mentioned of coming but had not disclosed the reason, as Cassie had requested.

“What’s got you drinking so early?” He teased, standing beside her with his own glass as the program started. “Date desert you again?”

“If you must know, I’ve decided to appear unattached. Fooling rich, young chaebols is my agenda tonight.”

“Well you can start counting.” He pointed at himself, “One.”

“Let’s keep it

Please log in to read the full chapter