The Catch

Mistake. Maybe Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 



Everything is not making sense to Tiffany at that moment. She went there expecting a corporate meeting where she’ll have to charm businessmen to seal a contract and not to deal with a certain blonde. Her headache worsens every second she spends inside that restaurant.

“If one of you could just maybe tell us everything already then that would make all our lives a lot easier.” the impatience in Tiffany’s voice is clearly evident. She eyed everyone at the table except Jessica.

“Sooyeon, you are not to marry Mr. Hwang’s son.”

Tiffany sighs in relief as soon as she heard man opposite her father talk. “Thank goodness or I would have lived my life with hatred from what I did!”

Jessica, on the other hand, is in the verge of exploding in anger. Frustration is an understatement. “What now? Do they have another sibling halfway across the world? Am I going to be exiled out of this family to live with a stranger in an unfamiliar country?!” she was already planning to kill herself the moment her parents answered yes.

“No, Jessica. You know we wouldn’t do that. We love you and your safety is our main priority.” Mrs. Jung spoke in a gentle tone, hoping to ease her daughter a bit.

“Then who is it? Mom, just tell me. Can you please spare me my time? This is already exhausting.” she is having enough of this talk. She just want to put an end to this conversation as soon as possible.

Mr. Hwang sighed. He, too, wants to end everyone’s agony. “You are to marry my daughter, Ms. Jung.”

Tiffany choked on her drink. She was in the middle of drinking her water when her father told the news. She wasn’t expecting that turn of event. “SON OF A B*TCH! WHAT?!” Heck she even thought she was irrelevant in this conversation.

The whole table went on silent for several minutes save for the brunette’s broken coughs. Leo rubbed his sister’s back.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Hwang but I think I misheard what you said. I’m marrying who?” Jessica couldn’t believe her ears. Her words came out when she finally gathered her thoughts.

It was her own father who answered this time. “You heard him right, Jessica. You’re about to marry his daughter Tiffany.”

“WHAT?!” Two girls shouted simultaneously.

Their families jerked at their reply. They swear they felt their table shake a little from the loudness of their voices.

“YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!” Tiffany slammed her hand on the table. “DAD! LEO! Please tell me this isn’t happening!” she was already standing up, frantically looking between her father and brother but both were trying to avoid her eyes.

Jessica faked a laugh, throwing her head back with eyes closed. “Alright people. You guys have us. You can end this craziness here. Where’s the camera? What kind of show is this?” She was waiting for someone to shout ‘You just got punk’d’ or anything that would indicate they’re just being played. She was expecting Krystal to laugh her off for successfully pulling a prank on her. She was everything but calm when she realized no one is going to take back anything that has been said.

“ARE YOU GUYS INSANE?!” her eyes are about to pop out of her sockets. “SERIOUSLY! ARE YOU PEOPLE ON CRACK?! I DON’T THINK ANYONE IS THINKING STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW!” she was hanging open, feeling lost.

“I don’t think you guys are sober. This is a different level of insanity.” said Krystal.

“We’re both girls!” Jessica exclaimed.

“Oh is that right, Sooyeon?” Mr. Jung said, his voice as if mocking his daughter. “Do not think I don’t know your past relationships with girls.”

Jessica looked at her father, disbelief written on her face. She had assumed she did well in hiding her identity knowing her family wouldn’t accept such misconduct. Her parents value their dignity. They grew up in Korea and knowing how conservative their home country is, she had come to accept that her preference wouldn’t be taken lightly.

“Tell me this is just a dream.” Krystal heard her sister whisper to herself. “It is a dream.” Krystal whispered back. “I’m kidding, it’s not.” she added and Jessica doesn’t want anything in the world but to strangle her sister right there and then.

“Then why the hell am I involved in this mess?!” Tiffany called out.

“Same goes for you, Miyoung. I’ve tried matching you with the finest bachelors but you always reject them. I thought you just want to find your own man so I took a step back and let you have it your way then I heard rumors of you sleeping with random girls you meet at clubs. I didn’t believe them at first until I accidentally saw my secretary looking at an indecent picture of you with some celebrity. You were lucky I had it controlled before it got to the media.” Mr. Hwang explained to her daughter.

“It was true that you were supposed to marry Leo, Jessica. Both your grandparents had a close friendship. They fought beside each other whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter