Best Friends

What My Heart Tells Me to Do~

It's funny how two people can become so close after only being friends for a couple of months and no matter what the dramas portray, each friendship is different. 

That's how I feel about Myungsoo-oppa. (Technically, he's just Myungsoo, since he's only older by a couple of months and we're close.) When I first met him through a friend online, I saw his profile picture and -I don't mean to sound shallow, but- I didn't expect him to be anything more than a distant friend. As we talked, those stereotypical thoughts disappeared and I found myself feeling sad when he had to go. I never imagined that I'd enjoy talking to anyone as much I enjoyed talking to him. Was it because he seemed genuinely interested in me and what I had to say or because I loved the fact he replied a lot quicker than people I'd talk to online before? I didn't know the answer to that question, but I went to bed that night, excited to talk to him next time.

Before, I used to wish we'd be weirdos together and laugh all the time, just like in the books. I disliked the awkward silence and "serious" topics we talked about from time to time. However, I gave up the fantasy of a perfect friendship with a guy. As we talked, we began sharing pictures of food we'd eaten the day before, what our homes looked like, and just cool things we thought the other would like. I remember feeling bold and making him a video the second day after meeting. I was estastic when he made me one back, replying with what he wanted  to be when he grew up. I have no idea why, but seeing his video made me laugh. Of course, that wasn't his purpose, but the way he spoke and how awkward he seemed on camera was kind of cute and amusing. (Sorry, Myungsoo~) Through our conversations, I learned about how big his dreams were. He'd go on about how he wanted to study abroad in America and how he wanted to be a photographer, an actor, or a performer in the Kpop industry. I was skeptical since I'd never be able to take the risks he was willing to, but I wanted his happiness above all. Although he was truly excited with the thought of possibly pursuing these dreams in the future, his insecuries held him down like a chain with a ball. I adivsed him with the little knowledge I had, but even though he replied with a simple "okay" and changed the subject instantaneously, I had a feeling my advice wasn't enough.

Besides our serious heart-to-heart talks, we joked around often and he always seemed to make me laugh. Since we live in different hemispheres and the time difference is huge, we had this inside joke. One day, when we were saying our good-byes, he suddenly said, "Baton touch." At first I was confused and replied back, "What's that?" He sent another message, explaining how when I just beginning my day, he was ending his, just like the passing of a baton. I laughed to myself about how dorky, yet adorable his observation was. There were more to laugh about as the days went by.

The more we talked, the more attractive he seemed. When I ranted about having a bad day or treating my loved ones horribly, Myungsoo never yelled at me for behaving irresponsibly, but instead he backed me up and only told me to do the right thing. He gave me that brotherly feeling when he messaged, "Good girl" as a reply to my story of enjoying the time I spent helping out my science teacher after school. I loved it when he said unexpected sweet things and our conversations, no matter how short, always kept me going through out the day. I constantly had a smile in my face and the thought of being able to talk to him at the end of the day made the little annoyances in life worth every second. 

When he first recognized me as his best friend, I didn't agree completely but was flattered with this title. Now, after talking to him for two months and becoming closer friends, I can honestly agree with this handsome fellow. It's kind of sad that this will all we'll ever be, since we're so far apart. But it doesn't seem that way when I'm waking up at 4 am just to chat with Myungsoo.