Final

I'm Sorry

Saturday

4:46pm

Ahyoung, you there?

I looked at my text message from Kai and replied with Of course I’m here. It’s my phone, isn’t it?

Yah! No need to bring your sass into this :P I’m so happy! ^^

Why are you so happy? Is it because I’m sick in bed and you’re out there in the free world?

No! I couldn’t wait until Hyunmi’s birthday so I asked her out this morning and she said yes!

I stopped reading. I stopped breathing.

Seriously?

They’re actually going out?

I guess I zoned out for quite a while because I got another text from Kai.

Yah! Ahyoung! Are you ignoring me?

Of course not! Sorry, I was looking at a squirrel near my window.

Of course Ahyoung, only you would get distracted by such a thing :P

No need to bring your sass into this :P

No. That’s my thing to say.

Too bad, I took it :P

No fair Ahyoung. >.<

I just stuck out my tongue at my phone and stopped texting him. I stared blankly out my window until I heard my phone go off again. I looked at who I got a message from and saw it was from Hyunmi.

Ahyoung! Kai asked me out! Kyahh~!

I know! He told me!

He even got us couple rings and stuff! But he stuttered when he asked me out. Kekeke~

That’s the nervous Kai for you xDD

I stopped texting her after sending that text and when I got another message, it was a picture of Kai and Hyunmi together. The caption was ‘New couple!’

I felt my heart tighten and my lungs shrivel up.

They’re already a couple…

“I hate that I love you Kai, but it’s already too late… Ha, I’m such a loser…” I said to myself before lying down on my bed.

--

“Sweetie? You want to eat something?” my mom knocked on my door.

I lazily looked over at the door and answered. “I’m not hungry.”

“Are you sure?” my mom asked.

“I’m sure…” I said to her before I started to look out the window again.

“… Can I come in?” I heard my mom ask.

“Sure,” I said before she opened the door and sat next to me on the bed.

“Are you okay? Do you want to stay at the hospital?” my mom asked me.

“I’ll start staying at the hospital tomorrow… I just… want to remember my room before I leave.”

“Arasso. If there’s anything you want, just ask me, okay?” my mom said and before she could leave the room, I grabbed onto her wrist.

“Yes?” she asked me.

“I actually have something I want to ask you, if that alright?” I asked her and she nodded.

“Can you go buy Hyunmi’s birthday present for me?” I asked her as I gave her a picture of what I wanted to buy her. My mom just nodded.

“And, when I’m… gone. Can you give this letter to Kai? And this letter to Hyunmi with her present?” I asked as I gave her the two letters, one addressed to Kai and the other to Hyunmi. My mom, again, nodded, afraid that if she says anything, she’ll burst into tears.

“And one more thing, when I’m gone, can you read this last letter? It’s for you,” I whispered as I gave her a letter that had no name on it which meant it was for my mom.

My mom couldn’t hold it in anymore and started to hug me while crying. I couldn’t hold it in either and I started to cry with her.

--

Sunday

“Ready to go to the hospital?” my mom asked me and I nodded. We drove to the hospital and arrived to the room where I would be dying in.

“I wish I could stay here with you but I have to go buy the present you wanted me to buy for Hyunmi and I have to go to work, bye sweetie, see you later today,” my mom said as she kissed the top of my forehead and waved goodbye.

--

Monday

I had my phone with me so I wasn’t as bored in the hospital. I would always text Hyunmi and Kai, even though they were in school.

My mom didn’t visit me at all today, she probably took more shifts at her work.

But my mom did call me and tell me that she had already gotten the present for Hyunmi. I’m glad.

The only bad thing was that I was getting weaker and weaker by the second.

--

Tuesday

“Happy birthday Hyunmi! Sorry I couldn’t attend your party. You probably won’t let me hear the end of it, right?” I sent to her via message.

The doctor said I only had a few hours left to live. So might as well look through all the messages Kai and Hyunmi had sent me.

Although, I couldn’t. The majority of the photos were of them together and that only got me more jealous of Hyunmi.

Later that day~

Hyunmi sent me a message saying that my mom had dropped off the present and she’ll open it later. I smiled as I took my last breaths of air and my mom sat next to me, crying.

--

“Eomma… I just wanted to say that… I… love… you…” I started to say and slowed down because it was too hard to talk.

My mom was next to me crying while the doctors were keeping track of my heartbeat and pulse. The doctors were panicking while my mom was crying and I was just lying there, only regretting not telling Kai my feelings earlier.

I could feel my tears slipping from my eyes and my eyes started to slowly close.

I gasped for my last few breaths of air while hearing my phone go off in the background.

*Kai and Hyunmi must’ve read my letters* I smiled at the thought and started to drift off.

In the background, I heard my mom crying even harder and my phone ringing constantly.

Goodbye world.

I fully closed my eyes and white light came over me.

Hyunmi’s POV

Before Ahyoung had died~

“Bye guys! Thanks for coming to my party!” I waved goodbye to my guests and only Kai stayed back.

“Oh! I forgot I still have Ahyoung’s present!” I squealed as I went over to the bag with Ahyoung’s preset in it.

“She actually got me the new jacket I wanted! Oh my gosh!” I squealed and jumped up and down.

“Oh wait, there’s a letter too,” I said as I picked up the letter and read it in my mind.

Hey Hyunmi!

Happy birthday!

Sorry I couldn’t make it -.-

I’m an awful friend aren’t I?

Anyways, I just wanted to say that if you’re reading this, I’m not in this world anymore.

I wanted to tell you and Kai earlier but I was afraid you’d worry too much.

I have, well, I had brain cancer.

I didn’t want to worry you so I thought I’d tell you over a letter.

Sorry if this makes your birthday an awful one -.-

Have a nice future with Kai!

I’m sorry.

Love your best friend,

Ahyoung

I dropped to my knee, crying.

“She’s… dead…” I cried softly as I saw Kai on his knees crying also.

Kai’s POV

While Hyunmi was reading her letter, I remembered that Ahyoung’s mom had also given me a letter. I took that out of my back pocket and started reading it in my mind.

Dear Kai,

How should I do this…

I’m sorry.

I’m sorry.

I’m so, so, so sorry.

Sorry for not telling you and Hyunmi about my condition.

Sorry for being an awful friend.

The reason why I couldn’t go to school these past few days and the reason why I wasn’t at Hyunmi’s party is that… I have brain cancer.

If you’re reading this now, I’m probably gone from this world.

I regret not saying this to you earlier, but…

I love you.

I always had.

It’s just, I was too shy to say anything.

I’d always wonder if it would ruin our friendship or if it would make it awkward.

I didn’t want that.

So I kept it to myself.

I would tell you face to face but I know my time is up and I couldn’t.

I’m such a loser for not telling you earlier.

If I did, would you have not asked out Hyunmi to be your girlfriend?

Anyways, I love you and… I’m sorry.

Have a nice future with Hyunmi. If you make her cry, I’ll hunt you down and haunt you.

Love,

Ahyoung

She… died. I started to fall to my knees and I cried more than I have ever cried before. I feel so stupid for not noticing her feelings earlier. I can’t believe all the pain I put her through when I was with Hyunmi.

I felt… anger. Not towards her but towards myself. I’m so angry at myself because I didn’t notice her feelings and I put her through so much pain. I’m an awful best friend.

“I’m sorry… Ahyoung,” I whispered as I cried even more.