Chapter 3

I'm Sorry

“Sweetie, wake up, it’s time for your weekly checkup,” my mom said gently as she tapped my shoulder. I slowly woke up and sat up.

“Arasso eomma,” I smiled at her as I got out of my bed and got ready. I went downstairs and saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table, crying. I rushed over to her and hugged her.

“Eomma, what’s wrong?” I asked her even though I knew what it was about.

“It’s just… I know what to expect on the results today,” my mom cried as I hugged her.

“Eomma, it’s not your fault I’m like this,” I said quietly.

My mom stopped crying and looked at me.

Look at my daughter, so strong, just like your father,” my mom smiled as I smile with her.

“Anyways, let’s go to the hospital,” I said as we left for the hospital.

At the hospital~

“Miss Ahyoung, are you sure you really don’t want to do the treatment?” the doctor said as I sat on the bed and my mom was sitting across from me.

“Sweetie, you could have a chance of living just a bit longer, let’s do the treatment, okay?” my mom asked me.

I shook my head, indicating ‘no’.

“Eomma, we barely have enough money to support both of us and you have to work all the extra shifts, I don’t want you to pay for my brain cancer surgery,” I said to my mom as she started to cry again.

Yeah, that’s right, I have brain cancer. I found out a couple of months ago but it was too late to get the surgery to make it decrease. Now all I have left is the final treatment to help me live for at least another week or two…

“I’m sure I don’t want to do the treatment doctor,” I said to him.

The doctor sighed as he took off his glasses and set them on top of his clipboard.

“Arasso, if that’s what you want Miss Ahyoung. But you do know that you have only a week left to live, right?” the doctor said.

I nodded. “Of course. But it’s my choice,” I said as my mom and I left the room.

*A week left? Let’s make the best of it.*

--

Wednesday

 “Good morning guys!” I greeted Hyunmi and Kai in homeroom.

“You’re in a good mood, aren’t you?” Hyunmi said as we all laughed.

“What’s to be sad about?” I asked her.

After talking in homeroom for quite a while, the whole day continued on faster.

The rest of the day just went by too fast

--

 Thursday

 “Hey, you guys want to go karaoking today?” I asked them as school ended.

“Sure!” Kai and Hyunmi said.

We all walked over to the local karaoke shop and rented a room.

“Which song should we sing first?” I asked as I scrolled through the different songs.

“Oh! Let’s sing and dance to ‘Gangnam Style’!” Hyunmi suggested as we all agreed to it and we started randomly singing along.

After singing for another 2 hours or so, it was already dark out.

“Sorry, today was a bit random, wasn’t it?” I said.

“No! Not at all! It was quite fun, actually,” Kai said as we all smiled.

--

Friday

Today, I did nothing, it was another checkup and all the doctor talked about was that I had to stay in the hospital for the remaining days of my life. I had no other choice so I simply went on with the plan.

On my way home, I got a bunch of text messages from Kai and Hyunmi.

Most of them said “Where are you?” or “Why weren’t you at school?”

I smiled as I felt tears falling down my cheek.

*Thank you for caring for me…*

I replied with “Nothing happened! I was just at home. Felt like ditching today :P”

After I sent that to both Kai and Hyunmi, they both called me so I made it a three-way phone call.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Yah! What do you mean you felt like ditching?” Kai yelled into the phone.

“Yeah! You know how badly that’ll affect your grade?” Hyunmi yelled next. I just laughed.

“Guys! I was just kidding. I’m sick so I couldn’t come to school today. But I don’t think I’ll be coming to school next week either…”

“Are you that sick? We’re going to come visit you!” Hyunmi and Kai said at the same time. I smiled.

“There’s no need to worry about me, texting or calling me would be fine,” I said.

“Really? Okay, but we’re going to call you every day!” Hyunmi said as I laughed.

“Go ahead! Anyways, I got to go, bye!” I said as I hung up and finally reached the apartment. I went inside and went straight to my room.

I took out a piece of paper and started to write a letter.