Chapter 1

I'm Sorry

A few months ago~

“Class, I’d like to introduce to you a new student,” the teacher said as a pretty and shy girl walked through the doors.

“A-Annyeonghaseyo. Hyunmi imnida. Let’s get along…” Hyunmi shyly smiled. While Hyunmi was walking to her seat, some of the meaner girls tripped her, causing her to fall without the teacher looking.

“Ow…” Hyunmi mumbled as she attempted to get back to her seat. I got up form my seat and helped Hyunmi get to hers.

“Are you okay?” I asked her and Hyunmi smiled and nodded at me.

“I’m Ahyoung, nice to meet you Hyunmi,” I smiled and introduced myself.

“N-Nice to meet you too,” Hyunmi stuttered.

--

“Hyunmi, want to join me and my friend for lunch?” I asked her when class ended.

“Sure,” Hyunmi agreed and we walked to the cafeteria.

Once we got into the cafeteria, I carefully scanned the cafeteria to look for my best friend, Kai.

“Ah! There he is!” I said and gently pulled Hyunmi along with me to the table where Kai sat.

“Hey Kai!” I greeted him and we both sat down next to him.

“Hey Ahyoung and...” Kai trailed off when he didn’t know Hyunmi’s name.

“Oh, mianhae. Hyunmi imnida,” Hyunmi introduced herself to Kai and Kai and I smiled.

“Hey Hyunmi,” Kai said before going back to eating.

--

After school~

I started to feel dizzy but managed to walk out of class normally.

“Hey guys,” I whispered to Kai and Hyunmi while they were waiting for me after class.

“Are you okay?” Kai asked me when I whispered.

“I’m fine. Just tired, that’s all,” I lied.

“Are you sure?” Hyunmi asked. I smiled at them.

“Of course I’m fine! But I’m going to go home first if you don’t mind. Have fun being alone~!” I said to them as I left and I briefly saw Hyunmi blush.

--

“Miss Ahyoung, are you okay?” someone said to me as I woke up to a bright light.

“W-Where am I?” I stuttered.

“You’re in the hospital sweetie,” I heard my mom say.

“Eomma? What am I doing here?” I asked her.

“You came home and you suddenly passed out. I started to panic so I brought you to a hospital,” my mom said, worried.

“Why did I pass out?” I asked to the doctor.

“Well… you have brain cancer… Miss Ahyoung. I’m sorry. The brain cancer effects caused you to pass out. We would recommend you to have the earliest treatment possible to decrease the levels of your brain cancer but it’s too late for that,” the doctor said and my mom started crying while I was too shocked to absorb in the words.

“Are… you serious?” I asked him.

“Yes and the bad thing is… you only have a few months to live,” the doctor whispered and my mom started to cry even more.

I couldn’t even cry. I was too shocked. The tears wouldn’t come out. I suddenly lost my voice and just stared wide-eye at the doctor.

“… Thank you doctor,” I bowed to him even though I was on a bed.

The doctor left the room and I comforted my mom while she was still crying.

“First, your father, and now you?” my mom cried out as I felt the tears coming on.

“Eomma, stop crying. You’re going to make me cry…” I said to her while my mom stopped crying and gently smiled at me.

“You’re so strong, just like your father,” my mom said as I let a tear slip form the corners of my eyes.

“Eomma, I have a few months to live. Let’s make the best of it, okay? No more crying or sad moments,” I said to her.

All my mom did was smile and nod. I wasn’t discharged from the hospital until later the next day.

When I got home, I checked my messages and saw a bunch from Kai.

One said that Kai had given Hyunmi my number so that probably explained why I saw some messages from the same unknown number.

“Where are you?”

“Are you okay?”

“Are you that sick?”

“Hyunmi and I visited your apartment but no one was there.”

“Is everything okay with your family?”

I gently smiled at the messages and started to cry.

I replied to both of them saying, “I’m fine. No need to worry about me.”

“I can’t tell them the truth…” I whispered as I shut off my phone and went to my bedroom, crying softly.