Trigger

The Dork and The Oblivious

 

Chapter 9       

                “Taemin-ah! You’re back!” 

                “We missed you so much Taemin-oppa!”

                “Taemin! Get your over here! We’re short on servers!”

                “Oppa! Are you feeling better?”

                Taemin smiled at the people who greeted him. He even smiled at Jo Kwon, who didn’t even bother to welcome him back and instead went with the get-your--over-here greeting. 
                He and Sulli arrived at their workplace two hours late for the café’s opening, so the place was pretty much already packed with customers. The crowd that was forming around Taemin was made up of his female regulars. After finding him missing the previous day and being told that he was sick, they had all decided to bring tokens of “Get well soon!” and “We will always love you Oppa!”. The gifts were already overdue and were kind of disturbing, but Taemin appreciated them all the same.
                “Thank you so much everyone!” He threw a dazzling smile at the women surrounding him and added, “I really appreciate it!” The females fawning over him almost fainted at the adorable sight of Taemin. But they couldn’t let themselves faint and pass up the chance to be in the presence of the said boy. So instead of fainting, they all simultaneously squealed out loud. Sulli, the staff, and the other customers who weren’t fangirling over Taemin could only laugh at the entertaining scene.
                But the scene was cut short when the bell to the cafe’s door rang rather loudly. The customers and the staff turned their heads towards the door.
                In came three very attractive ladies, clad in designer clothes and accessories. And they weren’t just walking casually as they entered the café— they were practically strutting, with swaying hips. Their hair flowed perfectly as they strutted in, and the shades each of them were wearing added to the ‘I’m fabulous’ effect they carried with them. The females present in the room looked at them in awe, while all the males in the cafe ogled at them none too subtly. All except Taemin. He was just looking at them boredly.

                “Minnie-oppa! We’ve been looking everywhere for you!”

                A collective thought from the bystanders:

                ...Minnie-Oppa?

                HUH?

                Taemin looked uncomfortable, “Ooh… Hiiiii… Umm…”

                “Hyo Rin, remember?” she put her glasses to her forehead and pointed to the two females standing beside her, “And this is Soo Bin and Vanessa. We worked together in one of your mom’s Paris runway shows?”

                Taemin still didn’t remember who the three models were, but it’d be very rude of him if he said so. “Ohhh, right! Ha ha, of course I remember!” he rubbed the back of his neck and laughed awkwardly after he said this. He thought that the ladies would call him out and call him a liar, but he was relieved to see that they fell for it.

                “Well of course. Who would forget this face?” Ummm, me? was what Taemin wanted to say, but no can do.

                The brunette named Soo Bin who was standing beside the raven-haired Hyo Rin snorted. “Oh please, he probably forgot all about you and only remembers me!”

                The European-looking Vanessa girl, in turn, joined in the argument and answered, “Stop flattering yourselves. He doesn’t remember any of you! I’m the only memorable one among the three of us!”

                 Taemin inwardly smirked, You don’t know how close you are to the truth. I don’t remember any of you three, period.

                While all this was happening, the females surrounding Taemin had dispersed and went to sit on the café’s chairs and watch disbelievingly, as were the other people present. Taemin knew these three hot creatures? What is happening to the world?!

                “So, oppa, would you like to hang out with us today?” Hyo Rin’s tone was unashamedly flirtatious, and Taemin almost cringed as she touched his arm just as flirtatiously.

                He forced a smile on, “…Mian, I can’t get off work today. I already took a day off yesterday, sooo…” He shrugged his shoulders, as if that explained everything. He tried to pretend to be sad about not being able to ‘hang out’ with them, but he was too happy to completely wipe the grin off his face.

                It was Soo Bin’s turn to try and persuade him, “Oh come on~ Let’s leave this dump and go clubbing!” she put on a flirty smirk and winked at him, “We want to see you dance again~!”

                “First of all, this place is not a dump. Secondly, it’s 10 in the afternoon; I don’t think there’d be a club open at this hour.” Soo Bin jutted her lip out and tried to win Taemin over by pouting. There was no way Taemin was falling for that. Only one girl could ever win him over by pouting.

                Next in line was Vanessa. “Come on, oppa! For me?” she put on the puppy dog eyes. ‘Blegh.’ Was the only thing on Taemin’s mind when he saw this horrid sight. He was about to say something to make Vanessa stop with the puppy dog eyes, but Sulli suddenly stepped in front of him, facing with the models.

                “Okay, are you ladies going to buy anything or not? Because if you’re not, you might as well just leave.” The tone of her voice scared Taemin, and he knew that she meant business. But why was she so upset?

                “Excuse me, do you know who you’re talking to?” Hyo Rin looked very insulted as she said this.

                “I couldn’t care less who I’m talking to. You’re disrupting business, so please leave.”

                “Well, if business is all you’re worried about, then fine. We’ll buy your lousy coffee.” Vanessa rolled her eyes at Sulli but then looked smugly at Taemin who was right behind her, “Minnie-oppa, join us?”

                Taemin rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly for the second time that day. If he refused them even more, they might start spreading rumours about a world fashion designer’s son being rude and whatnot. His mother would kill him if that happened. He raised his head and saw that Sulli was looking at him with an expression that he couldn’t quite read. He then saw the expressions of the snobby models, who were trying to draw him in by smiling scarily at him. He sighed quietly, The things I do for my mother…

                “Sure.”

 


 

Sulli POV

                “Sure.”

                What the hell?

                He’s actually agreeing to go with those… those things?!

                I can’t believe it. This is not happening. This is all a dream. This is all a—

                Wait, why am I reacting like this? Taemin can go out with whoever he wants. Even if the girls he’s choosing to go with look like snotty, stuck-up imbeciles, it’s his choice. And who ever said they were going out? He’s just going to drink coffee with them. So calm down Sulli. Calm. Down.

                When I had finally composed myself, models number 1, 2 and 3 were already dragging Taemin to the counter to order. He looked really uncomfortable, so why did he agree to go with them? And he wasn’t even looking at them. He was looking at… me?

                I shook my head. I was probably just imagining things. And whatever the case may be, I shouldn’t poke my nose into Taemin’s love life. I should just get on with my work and mind my own business. Yep, that’s what I should do.

 

                “Ha ha ha! Oppa! You’re so funny!”

                …

                “Really? I buy my clothes there too!”

                ….

                “Oh my gosh, this is too much of a coincidence! That’s where I walk my dog too!”

                ….

                HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO WORK PROPERLY WHEN THEY’RE MAKING THAT MUCH NOISE? And how come Taemin sounds like he’s enjoying himself? He looked pretty irked just a while ago, and now he’s making jokes and establishing connections with them? That pabo…

                Why am I even acting like this? Taemin’s socialized with girls like them before. I’ve even seem him interact very closely with quite a number of female customers. But then again, when he does act closely with women, it’s because he’s naturally affectionate like that. Flirting would be the last thing on his mind. He’s too dorky to even think of something like that. But why should that even matter to me?

                …

                Maybe I’m not angry about the noise. Maybe I’m not angry at those models because they were disrupting business. Maybe I’m actually… jealous of them? Maybe I actually like… Taemin?

                No, no, no. That’s not possible. I can’t like him! And if I do, he’ll never feel the same way about me! Argh Sulli! What are you even thinking?!   

                “Hey, are you okay?”

                I tear my gaze from Taemin and his fangirls – which I realize I’ve been staring at for quite some time— and look to see a person I am very glad to see.

                “Minho-sshi!”

                “You looked like you were in a really bad mood,” he was looking at me concernedly, “Gwenchana?”

                The small frown I was wearing instantly turned into a smile when I saw that he was worried about me. “Ne, I just didn’t get much sleep last night.” I could see that he was relieved to hear that.

                “That’s good. I thought for a second that you were upset with me.” he tried to pout, but he failed miserably. It looked hilarious. I tried to stifle my laugh and put my hand to my mouth, but he seemed to notice this. And so, he tried to act even more cutely and tried to pull off an aegyo. That did it. I ended up bursting with laughter.

                “Please stop that Minho-sshi, my stomach is already hurting from laughing too much!” I had tears in my eyes as I laughed at his ridiculous aegyo. After a few minutes of aegyo torture, he finally stopped.

                I wiped a stray tear from my eye as I said, “Thank you, Minho-sshi.”

                “Don’t mention it. You just looked like you needed a bit of cheering up.” He smiled at me and then continued, “And you could call me oppa you know. ‘Minho-sshi’ still feels a bit too formal for me.”

                I couldn’t help the blush that spread across my face. “Okay then…oppa.” My face grew even redder after I said the blasted word.

                I heard him chuckle lightly from across the counter and I looked up at him. He touched the side of my face gently, and after what seemed like an eternity, he leaned in to kiss my cheek chastely. It lasted for less than a second, but I could still feel my skin tingling from where he kissed me. It seemed impossible, but I blushed even harder. I stared at him, and after smiling at me, he walked out of the café’s doors.

                After he left, I felt someone staring me. I turned to look at the three models’ table. Taemin was staring at me. Had he seen the whole thing?

 


 

Taemin POV

                “Sure.”

                I immediately regretted saying that one word. But oh well, better to suffer through this than Mom’s rage. I meant to say something to Sulli and explain why I was agreeing to go with them, but Hyo Rin had already dragged me off to the counter.

                “Oppa! You own this café, right?” She was clinging onto my arm, with the two other models closely behind,”So I’m guessing this is your treat?”

                “I’m related to the one who owns this café,” I corrected, “You thought I owned this place and you still called it a dump?” I said this half-jokingly, but I was more serious than I was joking. She brushed my question off and voiced out their orders to the person manning the counter. I didn’t want to buy anything, so I just looked around the café in search of the only thing— or rather, person that mattered to me at the moment.

                She was staring off into space, but she still looked as adorable as she always is.  But… she looked sad. After a few seconds of staring at her, she seemed to have noticed my gaze and she looked up at me. I wanted to say something, but she looked away.

                What’s wrong, Sulli?

 

                 “Ha ha ha! Oppa! You’re so funny!”

                “The joke wasn’t particularly funny, but thank you for the compliment.”

 

                “Really? I buy my clothes there too!”

                “Wasn’t the store I just mentioned a men’s clothing store?”

 

                “Oh my gosh, this is too much of a coincidence! That’s where I walk my dog too!”

                “Yeah, it must be fate…”

 

                All of my replies to them were mumbled so that they couldn’t exactly hear what I was actually saying; but I tried my best to keep myself engaged in the conversations. The conversations were mostly about the latest fashion trends and how amazing my mother is for being an influential fashion designer. At one point during the verbal exchanges, I couldn’t help but sigh quietly. It became even clearer to me that these women are only trying to be close with me because of a) my physical appearance and b) to become well-acquainted with my mother.

                But then again, I wasn’t really paying attention to them as much as they wanted me to. I’d occasionally nod my head in agreement when they asked me something, just to show that I was listening. But in reality, I was looking at the person behind the three of them. She was standing at the counter, greeting the customers with an obviously faked happy expression. I’m the only one who could ever tell when she was really happy or not. And at the moment, she was not. I wanted to go to her, but I was torn between pleasing my mother and making my best friend feel better.

                But it looks like I won’t have to worry about that anymore. The Minho guy just came in and talked to her. Her face immediately brightened up. She looks genuinely happy now. Does that guy really make her that happy?

                Soo Bin asked me something, and I nodded my head again. She smiled and turned to Vanessa, “See? I told you— ” But I wasn’t listening any more. I was looking at Sulli, and now she was laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes. Before, I was the only one who could make her laugh like that.

                I look down, not even bothering to see if Hyo Rin and the other girls are insulted by my lack of interest in their discussions. Am I actually tearing up? No, Taemin. You have to do something about this. I look back up.

                Minho had just kissed her cheek. She had an adorable blush on her face. No one has ever been able to make her blush like that. Not even me.

                When he left, Sulli was staring after him. After a few seconds, she snapped out of her trance and suddenly looked at me. She was still flustered from the kiss Minho gave her, but she was looking at me.

                That’s it. I’m not letting her go any more than I already have. 

 


 

Waaah! I'm sorry if this chapter doesn't make much sense. T_T It's actually 12 in the morning here right now, so I apologize for any grammatical mistakes and whatnot. I hope that the readers of this story haven't give up on me yeeet! And I'd really appreciate it if you guys left a review~ I'd like to know how you feel about the story so far.

And I know this is really late, but thank you so much to glossjunior, leejinris, KristinaMAG, XShiori-ChanX, shyCHARM, LeeTaeminnie018, Kekeke123, trblmkr, mysuper13, himalayancat, MoarAzu, Meezo-ya, paopeo9, sooyoungee, lollilove, TAENGswift, kissdrops, minahbubblez, harapan, Lee_Sulli_18, shineeeffects94, GabyRivera143 and AliciaLoveeKey I <3 all of you, haha!