The Cute Kind of Jealousy

The Dork and The Oblivious

Chapter 3

          It was the week after the banana peel incident. The sun was shining, and business in the cafe was going great. There were no screw ups in the orders, and all of the servers (specifically Jo Kwon and Onew) were successfully entertaining the customers-- thus brightening the mood of the whole cafe.

          All except one.

          Standing at the counter of the café was a figure that had a gloomy aura surrounding it. Taemin was taking the orders of the mostly female customers (it was very strange how he didn’t get the orders wrong) who were trying desperately to get his attention. But all of their attempts were in vain since his focus was on somewhere – or rather someone – else. Some of them could also swear that they heard him grumbling and mumbling something that vaguely sounded like ‘Stupid beautiful man, making girls fall for him… One grande strawberry cream… What was his name again…? Minji? Minki? Minho? … Two orders of green tea… Grr…”

          But the poor boy was left unnoticed because the object of his attention was busy ogling at its own object of affection. Sulli and Minho were seated across from each other in the far right corner of the café by the large glass window overlooking the street. She was all dressed up, wearing a *coughcutecough* dress with her hair down rather than the usual ponytail, Taemin noticed. He also noticed that Sulli’s elbow was propped up on the table, and she was resting her head on her hand as  she looks at him like the way a person does when they stare lovingly at their partner. He even saw that she sighed at something the Minho guy said. Sulli, sighing?! What is this sorcery?!

          Taemin was pulled out of his contemplative thoughts when he felt a hand tapping his left shoulder. He turned his head to the person’s direction to see who it was.

          “Hey, you okay?” It was Onew.

          “Why wouldn’t I be okay, hyung? The girl I’m in love with is only head over heels in love with some other guy she’s met only a few weeks ago. So why wouldn’t I be okay?” He moaned dramatically as he comically put a hand to his chest, choking at his last statement. Onew had to stifle a chuckle at this. Thank goodness there weren’t any customers around.

          “Hey, I already told you to make a move years ago. But did you listen? No, you did not.” He sighed, “And I see that you are not listening right now.”

          “Look at him,” Taemin was squinting now. “What does he have that I don’t?” bitterness was evident in his voice.

          “I don’t know, guts?”

          “Hyung is mean.”

          Onew ruffled his dongsaeng's hair. “I’m just kidding Minnie, haha! Cheer up!” and with that, he walked away to attend to some other things he had to do.

          For a few minutes, Taemin had summoned the strength not to stare at the two lovebirds. But after trying to restrain himself from doing so for so many times, he had succumbed to the temptation. He turned his head to the left from his position at the counter and immediately regretted doing so.

          Minho’s thumb was on Sulli’s cheek, removing some sort of crumb off of her face. It was also looking as if he was closing the distance between them.

          That was it.

          Taemin mindlessly marched towards their table.

          “HI! I’M TAEMIN, YOUR SERVER FOR TODAY!” he saw that Minho jumped back from Sulli at his sudden appearance and he internally smirked. “Here’s the chocolate cake you ordered!”

          “Um, I’m sorry, I don’t believe we ordered any cakes.” ‘Impressive, still polite under the circumstances.’ Taemin noted.

          “It’s on the house!” Taemin tried his hardest to put on a grin that was so obviously forced, “Sulli is, after all our colleague here. And a very close friend of yours truly; for 16 years, actually. How about you?” His smugness was very apparent as he said this.

          He could feel Sulli’s subtle glare at him (she wouldn’t want to look unlady-like in front of Minho, of course.), but he just wouldn’t let up. He wanted this guy to go away.

          “Well, we’ve actually just been acquaintances, but I do hope to be closer with her over time.” He smiled at her as he said this, and Taemin grew even more jealous when he saw that Sulli was blushing. Just as he was about to roll his eyes and mumble something he would have later on regretted saying, a ringing resounded throughout the room. He looked down to see that it was Minho’s phone.

          “I’m sorry, but can I take this?” Minho asked, polite as ever.

          “Sure.” Sulli gently smiled at him. Taemin growled internally for what seemed like the hundredth time that day.

          “Yes?... Is that so?... Not really… Okay, I’ll be right there.” And the call was over. The girl was looking expectantly at him, as if silently asking him to tell her what that was all about. Of course, Minho understood.

          “I’m very sorry, but it seems that I have some business to attend to… Would it be okay if I cut this date short?” He looked very regretful as he said this, and a look of genuine understanding washed over the girl’s face. She nodded her head with a smile. She made to stand and move to the side of table and Minho did the same.

          “…I really am sorry. I promise to make it up to you.” With a sad smile, he slowly took Sulli’s hand in his and gave it a small kiss before waving and walking off.

          Taemin expected his best friend to lash out at him because of his interrupting their date, but what happened was even worse. She wasn't even bothering to scold him because she was too busy dreamily gazing off to where Minho ran off to.

          The sun wasn’t shining for Lee Taemin.