Banana Peels

The Dork and The Oblivious

Chapter 2

                "Yah, what's happening here?"

                The staff had come out of the lounge at the sound of the breaking glass. But despite all of them knowing the answer to the manager's question, they stayed silent for fear of being shouted at for something that wasn't their fault.

                "Why isn't anybody answering me?" the infamous manager was now walking towards the wide-eyed girl and the just as wide-eyed customer. If someone looked close enough, they might notice that Sulli was almost trembling from fear of what the manager could possibly give her as punishment for what has happened.

                "Um... I... slipped?"

                "You what?" The two words were spoken in a soft question, but everyone in the room still shivered with fear.

                "I-was-just-about-to-serve-the-customer's-coffee-when-I-suddenly-slipped -on-a-banana-peel-lying-on-the-floor-" After saying the statement insanely quickly, Sulli took in a big gulp of air.

                Jung Juri was confused. "A banana peel?" Upon hearing this, she almost completely forgot about the customer in her presence, turned towards the staff and started reprimanding them. "Haven't I told all of you a million times that we prioritize hygiene and sanitation in this café?" Her voice was increasing in volume, "What is with you kids?! Stop leaving trash on the floor! First, I see a banana peel. The next thing I know, I see Jo Kwon sprawled out on the floor!"

                "Hey!"

                "Be quiet Jo Kwon. Now, whose fault is the banana peel? Because of his carelessness, our customer had to experience this kind of service!” She was gesturing vaguely towards Minho as she was saying this. Minho still looked confused as to what was happening.

                The door to the employees lounge unexpectedly swung open lazily. “Heeeey, what’s with all the shouting?” Taemin complained as he stepped out of the lounge with his right hand holding a banana, and his left hand beginning to strip the banana peel away.

                …

                Everyone sweat-dropped. Taemin, Taemin, Taemin.

               “What? What’s everybody staring at me for?” After voicing out his question, he suddenly felt a hand pinching his right ear. “Ow ow! Auntie, when did you get here?! And why are you pinching me?!” Jung Juri’s only reply was a deadly sounding “Come with me,” and a pinch of his ear. Then the two disappeared into the lounge once again with the staff right behind them, all shaking their heads in amusement, disbelief, and pity for Lee Taemin.

                The silence in the café that followed the commotion made Sulli realize that she and Minho were the only ones left in the room. She looked down towards Minho and her eyes widened as she saw that he has yet to clean himself up, what with the manager’s sudden entrance and monologue.

                “Omo! Let me get a towel!” She made to run but was suddenly stopped by a hand grasping her wrist.

                “Don’t worry, the tissues here would be fine.” He smiled at her, and her heart started racing for the nth time that day. But despite the sudden increase in her heartbeat, she couldn’t help but worry about the fact that she spilled hot coffee on him. She glanced at the coffee on his shirt, and he seemed to notice this. “Also, it doesn’t hurt, if that’s what you’re worrying about. The water you used in my coffee was actually warm. Thank goodness for that, huh?”  

                Sulli smiled. Expect a gentleman like Minho to help set her mind at ease. This was probably one of the main reasons she loves likes him so much. But anyway, (she shook herself out of her fan-girling thoughts) even though he wasn’t hurt, she still had to apologize. Had things been different, he could’ve ended up seriously hurt. She took a few seconds to figure out what to say as Minho stood up and away from the table to wipe his shirt properly. She saw this and took that chance to stand in front of him.

                “Minho-sshi, jeongmal mianhae!” she stepped back a bit to bow, but Minho stopped her from doing so.

                “I can’t accept that apology.”

                Sulli was needless to say, surprised and worried at the same time. She raised her head to see if Minho was actually being serious. He was smiling.

                “Let me buy you a drink. Then I’ll forgive you.”

                And then she found herself smiling as well.