3/3

Somewhere Near to Tomorrow

IMP! Read the A/N below the update for the Christmas quiz to win a little Christmas gift from me. It's holiday season, anyway, enjoy~

 

 

Humans get bored easily don’t they?

 

That one noun had been reflected in Donghae’s eyes ever since he woke up, boredom.

Donghae had been expecting the words come from all people around him but it only came out that particular repeated day,

“You seem so different today, Donghae,”

Kibum, Jungsoo, and even his boss.

It only seems like a habit for all people, but it irked him so much about the sameness of the happenings, the similarity of what they said. How cold the water would be in the morning, how Kibum would only discuss about the same topic, every single repeated day.

But there’s one thing that made a slight different on this fifth day, this one thing that made him actually survived. How they call it? Lifesaver?

It’s that he kept on having this particular guy he had known the name of just the previous day in his mind and it made him energized a bit of what he was doing. He couldn’t quite form it into words, but he’s expecting the time he would be meeting and talk to him.

So there he is, inside the café, saw Hyukjae still in his same light pink shirt from a distance and with a bolder way, he walked toward him and spoke the words,

“May I sit here?”

He got the same “sure” reply and a slight direct look in the eyes from the other. He sat down as he said the few similar words,

“I’m Donghae by the way.”

The other gave him the very same surprised response as he introduced himself as well. Donghae wondered why he was acting like that. He thought for a moment before decided to just find out.

“You seem surprised,” Donghae pointed out. Hyukjae looked away from his laptop that had his attention and with a smile he slightly shook his head, “No it’s just… there are so many Donghaes. And I wonder why.”

“You know… other Donghaes?” Donghae seemed confused with the thing Hyukjae said about so many Donghaes but later he understood and guessed.

“Yeah… actually a very close friend of mine,” Hyukjae hesitated a bit before finally heaved a sigh and said, “My boyfriend, actually.”

He put a close attention to the other guy he just met with a face. It’s not that he’s embarrassed or anything. He’s rather worried. Not all people accept the fact that he swings that way, and react to it in a pleasant way.

He wondered on why he told him at the first place.

Donghae gave a nervous look at first but he finally spoke, “Wow great. I guess he even had the same surname as me?”

It was just for a joking purpose, Donghae swore.

“Actually, yes,” Hyukjae said, half-laughed. “That’s why I was so surprised when you told me your name. I thought you are one of Donghae’s friend and tried to joke with me but I guess I never saw you around. Such a coincidence, isn’t it?”

Donghae was bewildered and tried to figure out what that could have meant. But for that moment he tried to just clear it off of his mind and think it as a pure coincidence like how the other thought.

Shall demand the pre-god’s explanation. He noted to himself.

“Nice to meet you anyway, are you new here?”

They have a rather simple conversation afterwards. Donghae began to have those weird feelings all over again, the feelings he had when he firstly met Hyukjae. Moreover when he had more interactions with the other. His smile when he put it up, that somehow show his pinkish gum in the cutest way, and how his voice feels so right against Donghae’s sense of hearing.

Donghae for some unknown reasons, he felt home. He had an alien feeling about being home. It felt wrong and right at the same time.

Their conversation didn’t last long because It has to be cut with the same phone call. But this time it came with an explanation.

“It’s Donghae,” Hyukjae said, “My boyfriend Donghae, I mean. We’ve agreed to meet after he’s got a break between his whole load of work,” Hyukjae continued with a light chuckle.

“See you around, Donghae,” Hyukjae waved and left after Donghae decided to let it go again like last time. He wanted to know. He wanted to find out that it’s not just a mere coincidence.

It must have something to do with the similarity of the names.

---

“I let it go for the first time, doesn’t mean I will for this time,” The undeniably tall pre-god folded his arms onto his chest and stood so erect with a rather unpleasant facial expression.  “What did you just do Lee Donghae?”

Donghae couldn’t help but felt taken aback and deadpanned the red-carpeted floor below him. Even if he didn’t answer, the being before him would just know the reason why.

“The gods didn’t give you seven ing days to muck around and flirt,” His tone gotten higher. It seemed that the gods had warned him though, that’s why the pre-god looked so frustrated.

Donghae didn’t say anything.

“Is it really important for you to know more about him, to certain things out to know is it really a coincidence that you have the same name as his lover?”

“Tell me it’s not a coincidence,” Donghae spoke instead, demanded an explanation.

The pre-god just sighed as he looked straight to Donghae. The latter took a few steps closer and spoke the words,

“If you thought that it’s not a coincidence, why did you let it go?”

Donghae stopped and process the thing. It bewildered him. All things had made him puzzled and uncertain about everything. It felt like his stomach churned and he felt all uncomfortable and in a slight, unexplainable pain.

All the odd things, the weird feelings, had actually made him come to conclusion at the very first.

He knew Hyukjae all along, before he was skyed.

“He is just your mission now, Donghae,” The pre-god softened, he came closer and with a slight hesitance he put one of his hand on Donghae’s shoulder. “No matter who you were to him before you’re skyed, you have to save him.”

“I shouldn’t be telling this to you but I always knew that you’d eventually figure it out.”

Donghae brushed off the surprisingly calming squeeze from the pre-god on his shoulder and looked at him with a pained look, “It’s not fair, not for me, not for Hyukjae.”

“It’s never fair, Donghae,” the pre-god turned around as he calmingly look at the statues that surrounded them.

“Do you know that pre-gods were also humans? Do you think I voluntarily want to be one and deal with cases like you that actually made me feeling unpleasant to the core of my bones? Do you think I took this decision because I like it?”

“There’s always the catch of everything, Donghae, but the gods always do the right thing,” the pre-god finalized as he turned around to meet Donghae’s careful look.

The pre-god sighed as the other didn’t give any response and muttered, “Guess I have to use my allowance to visit the earth this time.”

---

The sandwich tasted bland and It felt just right to give a little knock to Kibum’s head because he kept on worrying about the same thing for Donghae that day. He spilled the can of paint and got scolded by the higher rank worker. He spaced out and almost forgot to ask his boss permission to go out.

Nothing went right for Donghae that day. Well, he was the one who did nothing right.

He shuffled in his seat after Hyukjae told him to sit down. He waited the other to start the conversation and made sure it went just like before so he got the chance to brought the topic up about Donghae,

about him.

Then just after Hyukjae told him about the similarity about his name and his boyfriend Donghae’s name, Donghae almost immediately asked,

“What kind of person is he?”

It was really immediate and unexpected, almost too fast and hurried. Donghae regretted when he saw the change of look in Hyukjae’s face. But it was such a relief for Donghae that the odd expression was completely changed with a smile as the latter said,

“You’re afraid that people with the same name as you might be ugly-behaved, aren’t you?” Hyukjae curved a genuine smile before his eyes darted out of the window dreamily as he continued, “He’s the greatest person I’ve ever met. Though I everyday wonder why would I be so in love with someone who behaves like a 5-year-old  like him I would always find the answer by the end of the day when we’d bid our goodbyes.”

Hyukjae darted his attention back to Donghae and realized he had gone too far with the stranger. The stranger Donghae must have thought he’s an idiot by now.

Donghae was still perplexed even when Hyukjae had turned back into him with his face flushed into deep red. He said nothing and it made the other even more embarrassed.

Things that Hyukjae said absorbed one word per word and it kept on being forced to his mind. It played like a recorder that had fallen apart and it ached more every single second that passed by.

He was a good person, and for some reason, someone who was sitting before him had fallen in love with him and for some other unknown reason, he was going to die anytime now of a car crash.

“I’m glad… that he’s a good person. “

And at the same time, the other way around. Donghae continued in his mind. He gripped the edge of the wooden chair he was sitting at so tightly as he tried to hold back all of the feelings that were surfacing. He didn’t even remember what pain felt like, he just tried to hold back something that might happen, and might be bad.

He would be more relieved if for some bad reason he was skyed, died without any specific logical reason that human could think of and be gone from the world as if he never existed.

He would be more relieved if there was no one that was holding into him and now had become his own mission to save. Otherwise, he would peacefully be free from the grip of the world.

He looked at the device attached at the wrist that he rarely even looked at lately and decided to end it all now. He was planning to tell the pre-god that he wanted to just be sent to the Underworld as soon as he got out of the body because it’s not impossible that he would be skyed in his next life after he’s reincarnated. He didn’t want the same thing to happen all over again.

The call came and Hyukjae picked it up, Donghae came with a hasty plan in his mind and suddenly spoke when Hyukjae was excusing himself to him,

“Can you stay a little bit more?”

Hyukjae hesitated before he said, “My boyfriend is waiting for me,” He paused and when he saw an odd desperate look in Donghae’s face, he continued, “But you can join, he might want to meet someone who has the same name as you.”

Hyukjae hurried his way to the café’s entrance door as he signaled the other to follow him. Donghae hastily followed after he managed to put himself together.

Hyukjae was already hurrying across the street when Donghae ran as fast as he could to be able to stop him. Hyukjae stopped in the middle and turned around to see if Donghae had followed him all along and tried to signal him to be faster.

But then, it was a wrong motion to begin with.

Donghae fell because of the pain in his wrist even before he reached Hyukjae who was in a lifeless state just like how it was repeated days before. He circled his other hand tightly around his wrist where the device was attached to prevent it from detaching and lose his own consciousness. The pain was growing unbearable and he was wincing, totally oblivious with a sudden presence beside him, and the way things around him had stopped moving. He only realized when a pair of hands stopped him from trying to keep the device attached.

He saw the pre-god squatting beside him as the device floated and disappeared into nothing. He didn’t lose his consciousness, instead, things around him began to move again. People surrounded Hyukjae, and the change of the expression of the man that got out from the car that hit Hyukjae. Screams were still audible and there were people who ordered the others to call the ambulance. The cars from the back that didn’t witness the accident started to honk their as the light turned green.

That moment, he saw someone got out from a convenience store across the street, looking confused at the crowd of people in the middle of the street.

That someone was in a neat work suit and has the very similar face, if not exactly the same like what Donghae saw in the pieced back mirror every day. The difference was how clean his face was and that his hair had a faded brunette color, showing his original brown locks and is styled short and combed neatly, showing how a proper business man should look.

By then, Donghae realized that it was him. He looked like him before he was skyed, and everyone saw him in that body.

Hyukjae saw him in that body.

Donghae watched as he hurried down the street upon realizing that it was an accident.

His expression was unexplainable when he realized who the victim was. It took him a mere second when he broke the crowd for his own way and with a swift motion lifted Hyukjae’s body and brought him to car parked in front of the convenience store and sped away.

The scene in front of him changed to a hospital where a bed was being pushed to an emergency room and the man could only look from the glass window. The hospital people who was in charge hurried in and connected Hyukjae’s body to the machines. The heart rate machine signaled no single heart beat, and the younger interns started to give him CPR.

The doctor stopped him as he looked at his watch despite knowing that the patient had died even before he was sent to the hospital, he got out and announced the man about Hyukjae’s death.

Donghae didn’t dare to look at the man’s, or, his reaction afterwards.

The pre-god heaved a long sigh before he spoke,

“The last thing you wished, that made you skyed was to save Hyukjae’s life, no matter what, even if it risked your life,” The pre-god paused and turned his line of vision down to Donghae who was looking intently.

“The gods, they know that you’ll be the only one who could save him, so they gave you this mission instead of the others.”

“I know you have great possibility to succeed, so do your best. And I’ll say it now, because I won’t be meeting you anymore.” The pre-god stopped once again as he for the very first time curved a genuine smile.

“Goodbye, Donghae, see you in your next life, and don’t ever think to break the agreement about reincarnating, because you will find out something this time that will prevent you to do so.”

---

The sun hit his face for the seventh repeated day, and that day, it was the reason why Donghae woke up. It was not the pain in his wrist anymore, the device was no longer attached. He wondered why, but he couldn’t careless as he already encountered the same thing all over again for the previous sixth days of chances that had passed, and it had became his biological time.

The body he was occupying’s biological time.

He couldn’t believe that he was going to leave the body that he had been occupying real soon, whether he succeed or not. He looked at the reflection on the mirror and it was rather a shock for him to see someone that’s not him. It took him some great second to realize that it was the real reflection of the body he was occupying that all along he was blinded from.

He observed the reflection intently.

Dark brown unkempt hair, smaller eyes and taller nose than he has, thinner, wider, and redder lips that has cut in the middle of the bottom one. The body itself is way skinnier and taller. Way too tall that Donghae had to crook it a bit to examine the body’s face reflection on the mirror for a little bit more.

So this is how everyone saw him, he silently thought.

It was not a bad impression instead Donghae always thought that the real appearance would be worse since every shopkeeper had always gotten suspicious of him to steal things.

This is really not a face of a people that likely to steal things.

He wasn’t finished examining the figure when suddenly Kibum’s knock on the door was heard, announced breakfast time. Through Kibum’s call, Donghae finally knew the body’s name, it was Wook Gi. Through Jungsoo and Youngwoon’s call he knew the surname is Choi, Choi Wookgi.

He guessed maybe this is why the device was unattached, to let him know about the body he was borrowing, and maybe to be thankful to him.

The breakfast went like usual, the sandwich tasted like how it was for Donghae for the first time he stepped on the solid earth once again. It was blissful but saddened him at the same time. He’s finally going to stop returning and doing all the same things but he had to leave all the things and people behind, Kibum, Jungsoo, Youngwoon altogether.

He looked at Kibum and felt sorrow through his existing soul. He was clueless of the fact that his hyung Wookgi was already dead. Well maybe the real situation was not like this, the pre-god said that the situation was changed for the sake of Donghae doing his mission. Maybe he would have known about Wookgi’s death.

However, Wookgi was still his only companion and it saddened him that such a nice guy like Kibum had to be left and live alone all over again.

It was the time for Donghae to leave to the construction, but he turned around when Kibum bid his goodbye and reminded him to stay safe, he wondered aloud,

“Why do want me to be safe?”

Kibum was slightly surprised with the question, but then he smiled so sweetly, showing his oh-so-white teeth that contrasted with his burnt skin.

“Hyung, do you remember when we first met? It was the day my dad passed away. Unlike the others, there was no question that came out from you, It was as if you had understood everything.

My dad ever said one thing. We are the worst when others wished they would never meet us again, and the best we can be is when others wish they would meet us again even if they’re about to be born again. That thing came to my mind when I firstly met you.” Kibum paused as he kept himself composed. Donghae was about to break down, because unlike him, he knew things wouldn’t be good for Kibum. At that moment, he felt slightly mad with this Wookgi guy, why didn’t he take Kibum advice in mind and work safely? Why did he ended up involved in an accident and died?

“You are a good person, hyung. There is no definite chance that I’ll be meeting you in our next lives, so you need to be safe for now, that’s why I say it to you every day.”

Donghae promised himself he would treasure Kibum all he could if he succeed the mission and meet him in his next life.

He was about to proceed his step to go away but then he remembered something,

“In case I can’t say it tomorrow,” Donghae paused, trying his best not to croak,

“Happy birthday, Kibum.”

 

---

Work with Jungsoo, Youngwoon, and the other co-workers were simply like usual. Donghae tried to cherish the work, because in fact that anyone else didn’t know, it was his last day of working in the workplace.

There came the time when he had a conversation with Jungsoo, about things he really wanted to do in his life, Donghae came with the very same answer about his mission to make someone’s life last and Jungsoo began to assume all over again that the one that he referred was Kibum. But then Donghae spoke honestly for the first time,

“No, it’s not him, hyung, it’s someone else.” Jungsoo looked perplexed as he stopped from brushing the paint onto the wall and looked at him, he wondered aloud,

“Who?”

“Well, it just happen to be someone you might not know,” Donghae paused, Jungsoo didn’t say anything as he anticipated Donghae’s next words. “But I really want to take care of Kibum, I really do. But it’s just that… I can’t.”

“Can you promise me, hyung, to always take care of him?”  

Despite his bewildered self, Jungsoo nodded, and even Donghae knew he would not remember what Donghae said,

a promise stays a promise.

---

“Was it always be your dream… to be an architect?” It was just an awkward question Donghae managed to ask after the both of them had gone through a comfortable small conversation. He, himself didn’t know where did it come from, but he suddenly had the urge to ask.

Hyukjae was surprised but the sudden question but he answered nonetheless,

“I never really had one.”

Almost immediately Donghae asked again, “Why?”

Hyukjae took a deep breath before he spoke again,

“Dream might last forever, but life won’t. No one is promised to see tomorrow, you know. No one could ever predict what could happen moment after this. I never wanted to die in regrets because I haven’t reached my dream.

Me being an architect was just something that happened.”

Donghae kept his silence for a while, but again, he couldn’t help but to ask a final question,

“What about your boyfriend, don’t you have a dream with him?”

Hyukjae smiled his gummy smile, almost a chuckle. He wondered why the other guy who was just a mere stranger was so curious about his life. However, he never found it harmful to share, so he answered,

“It’s not the dreams, it’s about the promises. We promise to be with each other, and nothing could ever stop us to.”

That time, Donghae felt like everything that had unknowingly shouldered him went away. It happened to be fear of losing Hyukjae, although he barely remembered anything, he understood for sure why he ended together with him in his life as Lee Donghae. And he wanted to always be together with him in his next lives. He could do anything to be with him but to fear, because they had promised, and as Hyukjae had said, nothing could stop them.

That day, Donghae offered to walk pass the street together, and Hyukjae agreed. Donghae stopped the both of them just in time and they managed to cross the street all healthy and safe.

Donghae had succeeded.

He expected everything turned black for him, but instead, it blurred and even if the sunlight was still very clear, undeniably beautiful bokeh surrounded him, he felt his body lightened, he knew he was disappearing into the thin air after he managed to spoke the last words,

“Goodbye Hyukjae, see you in my next life.”

***

21st August 2012

Kibum placed the only photo of Wookgi and him together that he had on top of his cremation casket. With eyes still swollen from all the crying, he prayed his last prayer and stepped back to join the others.

“Hyung came to my dream last night,” He said to no one in particular, Jungsoo was listening. “He wished me a happy birthday.”

“He should have said it on the right day.”

They stayed in silence, together with them was Youngwoon, some of Wookgi’s co-workers and some of their neighbors.

Jungsoo responded nothing, he didn’t know what to say as the sorrow didn’t only overwhelm Kibum but also him, and the rest of the others. Wookgi was never the type to talk much and share with others, but he was a really nice person inside, and he knew that all people never expected him to go so early.

Jungsoo tried to compose himself as he rubbed Kibum’s back soothingly, eventually made the other pour the feelings and held back tears all over again.

Somehow, he had promised to take care of the other, and deep inside he knew he will fulfill it.

---

A perfect cup of hot coffee in the rainy day. It was just a usual day for Hyukjae, doing his piling architecture designs on his laptop as he sat by the window of the prestige café. Waiting for no one, as there was no one to be waited.

His cellphone rang continuously and he just simply ignored it. He knew for sure that it was messages from his best friend Kyuhyun asking if he would take the blind dates that he arranged, which he always rejected. He never really interested in things like that, he was still young, well he thought he was, so why does he to be worried about the “love of your life”. It’s not like he’s going to die if he didn’t date, which a complete opposite of Kyuhyun’s perspective.

He never remembered about Donghae, but unknown to him, he was bounded with promise, that stays at his mind and heart, and that’s the biggest unknown reason that Kyuhyun and himself didn’t know.

Meanwhile somewhere at the western part of the world, a cry of a baby boy breaks the eerie of the night and his parents decided to name him, Aiden, which means, “little fire”.

 

Right, of course. But you keep the promise anyway. That's what love is. Love is keeping the promise anyway.

-
John Green,The Fault in Our Stars 

 

 

A/N: Before you complain about a sudden OC appearance, Choi Wookgi is the name of Donghae's character in It's Okay, Daddy's Girl.

Anyway, finally... the last chapter!! It took me so long to write because of the final term and all (I apologize, really :( ) but finally it's over, and yeah finally season holiday!! I'm planning to hold a sort of quiz to hand out small gifts, well not really gift, it's actually a special fic request because i never really write anyone anything that's based on their request, and not only that. This will be explained later. Well, the prize may not be really fancy, but hey, it's just for fun and celebration :D

If you're not interested in the quiz you may skip this A/N, but still leave a comment~ hihi :3 

For those who's interested to join, please read all of what i'd written below ^^

So, this quiz is held in two places where i post this fic, Livejournal and Asianfanfics and the winners will be picked from both sites, so there'll be two winners. And this fic is posted at the same time at both, to be fair. So this so-called quiz is to answer a single question with provided clues. And the question is:

Who do I describe as Choi Wookgi in this fic? 

So as you had probably noticed I didn't describe Donghae, but someone else. Which is a Korean actor that I recently fell deeply in love with. hihi :3 

So, beside the description about him that I put in this chapter, THE CLUES ARE

  1. He is not a singer
  2. He's born in the same year as Henry
  3. He played both dramas and movies, and in one of them, he played a gay role
  4. He is related by blood to Krystal in a drama/movie that they were in
  5. He is in a very recent teen drama and is the main character 

The ones who answer the correct answer and is the fastest will be the winner. You can simply answer below your comment but still in one post. You don't need a special post for the answer :)

ex: Your story blablablabla 
but i want your prize so i think the answer of the quiz is blablabla

THE PRIZES:

  1. Fic request for both winners, so I'll be doing two fic requests. You can request anything, in detail or just the main idea and leave me for the detail but there are a few exceptions: the genre could be anything but genderswitch (I'm sorry but i don't write genderswitch :<). The rating is from G-R (Implied is possible but it would be difficult for me to write NC-17 because I'm not experienced. But if you insist, I'll try :) ). The length is drabble/one-shot.
  2. A special gift from me that the winners could choose to take or not. As I already said, it's special, and I'm being secretive here so be the winner to know~ :P

If you have any question, you can simply ask me through the comment box. Well, good luck :)