2/3

Somewhere Near to Tomorrow

 

The second time he saw the pre-god he met earlier in that disgusting red room was in his dream, as he concluded it was. He couldn’t quite form his own body and his vision was not as vivid as the first time he did.

“Humble enough to admit that you didn’t succeed in the first day?” The tall figure threw the teasing question right before him.

Donghae rolled his eyes, began to be used to the pre-god’s snarky behavior. He found it useless to retort back so he just questioned about what he had been wondering,

“Didn’t you say I’d be sent into somebody else’s body? Why did I see myself on the mirror instead of that somebody’s figure?”

The pre-god thought for a moment before answering,

“Well… because you’re a human, let’s talk with human logic.”

“Human logic… what?” Donghae enquired to himself.

“When you see yourself in the mirror, whom do you see?” The pre-god started walking back and forth slowly at the short distance before Donghae’s view.

“Well… myself but…”

Before Donghae could finish his argument the pre god cut,

“When someone call for you, whose name do you hear?”

Donghae looked stunned with the question and realization hit him,

“So that somebody’s name was also not Donghae?”

The pre-god calmly shook his head.

“You also didn’t actually know Kibum before you were skyed, the body you were in was absolutely not who you were before you were skyed, when you were still alive.”

Donghae kept everything to himself for a moment before he spoke,

“Just because I don’t remember a thing, don’t say such lies to me.”

The pre-god looked a bit enraged because of the skepticism this human Donghae gave him but he decided to keep calm and told,

“What will I get from lying to you? It’s the work human does, not what a beautiful pre-god like me does.”

“So who’s this man the god got me into?” Donghae wondered aloud as hundreds of new questions popped up into his mind.

The pre-god stopped on walking back and forth but kept his hand folded up to his chest and looked right into Donghae’s eyes,

“Well, it’s not actually proper to tell you about this. But it’s better for me than to answer all those useless questions in your head right now and waste even more time.”

He paused, and without being interrupted he continued,

“The man where you got into is someone who actually destined to be dead today. The gods make some changes in the situation today for you to get easier with your work, that no one would know he had actually died the night before. He fell down from 15 meters height while working on a hotel project. Kibum was his only friend, and he was the only friend of Kibum. I can’t tell you his name because I don’t actually told by the gods. Everything you’d do with his body would not matter even if you have succeed or not, what will make the change is just if you have succeed, the man you have to save will not die, the situation would just be that he was not involved in any accident, even without you as his saver. And if you didn’t succeed the situation would just be how it was, he died in a car crash.

What you see is yourself, when actually it’s not. What you hear is your name, when actually it’s not. But what comes out from your mouth, is just what comes out from your mouth. But it will not matter after all. Even if you want to tell that you’re actually had been skyed and all, I doubt that there’ll be someone who will believe you, and it will just be forgotten when tomorrow comes.”

“Then it means… I will just appear then disappear just like how I lived and then skyed?” Donghae asked the pre-god in disbelief. So he had to be forgotten like twice?

“Well, there are some differences in it. But yes, it works like that. It’s you who decided yourself to do this anyway. You can’t blame anyone in this situation,” the pre-god replied just as calm as usual.

“But what about the man? What about…”

“You have no much time left,” the pre-god cut his speech and instantly, for the umpteenth time, everything turned black for Donghae.

---

The now familiar pain in his wrist woke him up in the repeated day.

Donghae groaned at the pricking pain. Even though he knew he had gained his consciousness back, he kept his eyes clenched shut and wait for the pain to subside.

He snapped his eyes open when the transparent device had fully attached on his wrist and the pain caused by it being somehow drilled to his inner flesh had lessened. He got up still with the curiousness left in the pre-god’s palace.

He had everything in the whole world and sky to ask. But the weird mannered pre-god just couldn’t consider human’s needs just a little bit more.

He got up and again he felt incredibly uncomfortable with the stickiness of the body. The body that was not his. After he heard the explanation given by the pre-god, everything seemed to be clearer for him, but at the same time just gave his whole self more questions to ask.

Why did the god let him use someone else’s body and not his? If he was sent back to today, then it means that he would just still be alive right? At least he wanted to know how he lived before he was skyed. Was he just the same like how the body was? Living in a place that was even so difficult to be considered as a shelter, be around people that was extremely worried about the place they lived in being sold.

Living with simply all the uneasiness people could ever get.

He decided to finally stop throwing questions to himself when at the moment there weren’t anyone that was able answer. He supposed that he didn’t had all the time in the world to do his mission anyway so he decided to just took a bath to at least free the uncomfortable feeling he had because of the stickiness and weariness.

He was just finished picking the same clothes he wore on the first day from the drawer when he heard knocks on the board door of the so-called house.

He put the clothes he had picked on the drawer and walked a very few distance to open the door. He wondered who it might be because it didn’t happen in the first day.

“Donghae hyung, have you eaten yet?” The now quite familiar voice greeted Donghae as soon as the fragile door creaked open. Donghae saw Kibum standing in front of the only way in and out of the shelter and he could only shake his hand and gave a look at the device attached to his wrist.

“Wait for me, I have to take a bath first,” Donghae said before he closed the door and quickly reached for the clothes he prepared earlier and took a bath.

He was late, he thought. So talking with the pre-god takes his time?

He quickly scrubbed the dirt off the body and pour water to his body using the water dipper. It didn’t take long before he finally got out of the bathroom, settled in the most comfortable clothing he could ever find and got out of the house just to find Kibum standing in front of him with a rather sweet smile.

“Let’s go.”

Donghae followed him to the same shop which sold cheap breakfast for people who lived around the place yesterday. Kibum ordered the same vegetarian sandwich and they settled down on the same table.

“I’ll treat you since hyung had done for me yesterday,” Kibum then said the practically same sentence to him and Donghae couldn’t help but to give him a small smile.

This guy must have treated him so nicely

The order came in the same two plastic plates and they ate as their stomach had audibly begged for food to come in. Donghae actually kind of liked the taste of the sandwich, the taste of the simplicity. He might only remember the sandwich as the only food he had ever eaten in his life, but he recognized what delicious tastes like. The saltiness of the thin layer of cheese and the freshness of the sliced refrigerated cucumber and a thick layer of fresh lettuce, it was a taste that couldn’t easily be forgotten.

He had promised himself to cherish everything the chance had given, and he was really going to cherish the taste of the only food that he might ever eat.

“Hyung, have you heard about the news?” Kibum voiced out just the same as the first time. His voice full of the unchanged worried tone which made Donghae sympathized. Unlike the first time, he was not confused and he had the sandwich order before the question came so he had a distraction as an excuse for him to think of an answer.

Donghae slightly nodded and mumbled with his full mouth,

“What are we going to do about it?”

Kibum took a mouthful bite before shaking his head, showing that he’s also clueless about the issue.

Donghae stared at the younger figure and sighed, he didn’t know but he felt responsible for the government selling the place it was just bothering him so much that he felt the need to get rid the worried expression from everyone.

But it’s not his actual mission and he didn’t have enough time to do it.

“We’re going to be fine,” Donghae, however tried to assure the other. He managed to light up a smile that made the other replied with the same manner. He didn’t know, he actually doubted so much that things would actually go fine. But for the time being, he wanted to make Kibum feel better, because he had realized that he was the only one who made him didn’t feel all alone in his perhaps last visit on the world.

They were silently eating afterwards and was just interrupted when Kibum triggered a question,

“Hyung, aren’t you late already?”

Donghae quirked his eyebrows at that, “Late for what?”

“Your work, the current project you are working on,” Kibum implied, “or had your boss change the work time?”

“eh?”

Then things slowly creep inside his mind and be processed,

The question Kibum asked yesterday, the two big men he ran away from and the ongoing construction behind him…

He mentally smacked himself. Why didn’t he think more logically that a poor man like the body he was in would obviously work for his life? Then the two men he met and idiotically ran away from must be his workers.

“Oh I almost forgot about that! Gotta go now, thanks for the treat,” Donghae saw Kibum flashed a knowing smile at him and waved.

“Be safe, hyung!”

---

“Being boss’ favorite worker doesn’t mean you can muck around and enter work as late as you wish,” the other man standing beside the other two men Donghae had seen the day before spoke. It was shown clearly that the man was not really in his favorable mood that time.

Donghae could only mutter a simple polite apology and the latter signaled Donghae and the other two workers to go back to work.

“Were you taking the night shift too, Donghae?” one of the two with smaller figure asked, in a rather… worried tone. Donghae took a quick glance to the nametag sewed in the man’s uniform, afraid to be suspected.

Park Jungsoo

“You shouldn’t overwork yourself, man, you know it’s not good for your health. And if you keep on being late you’ll just ended up being fired,” the other man whose nametag read “Kim Youngwoon” elaborated and Donghae could only nod at that.

The man with smaller figure, Jungsoo curved his lips to a smile nonetheless,

“Promise me you will stop your night shift after you had the money to buy Kibum’s birthday present. Oh it’s tomorrow, right?”

Donghae practically widened his eyes at that but he managed to restrain himself. He only nodded and managed to flash a rather awkward toothy smile at the two.

“Ah today we’ll receive our weekly payment, let’s work hard~” Youngwoon exclaimed, forcing his two co-workers to start their work that day.

Donghae totally didn’t have any idea on what to do. He looked around and saw all people had gotten busy on what they’re doing. There was a sudden spark within him that made him rather excited.

It was how they work for their life. It perhaps not the fanciest job people could ever work on, but at least they were working for their life, their real life.

He ended up helping people around doing things. He helped the men who carried big sacks that seem so heavy and helped moving other heavy things. He saw one of the worker mixed the cement and decided to help him. They all seem very friendly, although there were some of them who seemed to look troubled with Donghae’s help. Donghae in the end decided to just help those who seemed to need it.

The same men who had scolded Donghae earlier came and ordered him to do the painting upstairs. He just nodded at the command and look around to find any way that could bring him upstairs. He then found out that he had to take the elevator with incomplete structure to lift him up to the higher floor of the construction.

He saw some people were going to ride the elevator as well, so he hurried himself and stuffed himself at the narrow elevator with three other people.

The strong smell of the paint greeted him as he arrived at the designated level. He saw tins of paint almost tidily placed on the floor. He was rather surprised to see Jungsoo’s there and when the latter noticed his presence, he gave him a smile and signaled him to take the equipment placed on the floor and to start doing the job. Donghae took it and stood beside Jungsoo to copy what he was doing.

At least, he could do it quite properly.

Jungsoo stopped his activity for a moment to meet Donghae’s gaze and got back his line of vision to the wall he was painting and curved his lips to an honest smile,

“Donghae have you ever thought about things you really want to do in life?”

Donghae was stunned at the question and couldn’t think of an answer.

What DID he want to do in his life?

He knew he should answer.

He took a deep breath and exhaled before speaking,

“I have a mission in this life, hyung,” Donghae started, surprised by himself taking the risk to call the latter ‘hyung’ just because he looks way more mature than the man in the mirror, not knowing his real age.

“… and probably the only thing I want to do is to complete it,” Donghae answered, almost too honestly.

“What kind of mission?” Jungsoo wondered aloud, looked interested.

Donghae thought of an answer. He couldn’t tell the truth, could he? It will be too complicated to explain it all. He decided to find the right words to interpret it.

“To make someone’s life last.”

Jungsoo looked bewildered at first, but he then smiled his dimpled smile,

“It’s Kibum, isn’t it?” He guessed, sounded very sure, “It’s always been him since you stayed here, I’m very happy that you have someone very close like your own family,” Jungsoo said, his vision was spotted far away, it’s like he thought of something really ironic so suddenly, and when he got back from his thought it also changed back in a sudden.

“Your father must be happy seeing this.”

They didn’t say anything else to each other after that. Both of them were in deep thoughts while they continued to paint the half-painted wall of the soon-to-be hotel lounge.  It was until they heard a continuous faint ring of a bell.

“Oh, lunch time. Finally…I’m getting hungry,” Jungsoo put down the equipment on the floor and readied to head downstairs.

Lunch time?

Donghae quickly take a look at his wrist and widened his eyes in surprised,

17 minutes left

“Aren’t you coming down?” Jungsoo asked from inside the elevator with four other people.

Donghae quickly ran his way to the short distance and stuffed himself at the elevator.

“Hyung I need to go somewhere else can you help me to take a leave?” Donghae said in a hurried tone as soon as he got on the lift made Jungsoo threw a confused look.

“I think it’s fine if only for a moment since it’s lunch time as long as you tell the boss beforehand, or you going for the rest of the day?”

“No, hyung. It’s just for a moment.” By then, they arrived at the ground floor. “Where’s the boss?”

Jungsoo looked around with Donghae pretending to do the same when in fact he didn’t know how the boss actually looked like. The one scolded him earlier was the senior worker with a higher rank, the boss didn’t usually order the low-rank workers.

“Oh he’s there!” Jungsoo slightly pointed to the direction where some workers were lining up to and Donghae saw a man doing things with his checklist for the worker’s payment.

Donghae hurried his step to the man and when he got near him, the man turned his head to Donghae, and surprisingly let out a warm smile,

“What is it, Donghae?”

“I-I have to do something important boss, can I go out for a moment?” Donghae asked practically in a nervous tone.

The boss didn’t have any negative expression toward it, and Donghae was slightly relieved.

“It’s alright. Here, take your share first with you,” The boss said and gave him a brown envelope and Donghae said thank you before he excused himself, obviously oblivious with the jealous and envy look the other workers sent.

But they couldn’t hate him for being the boss’ favorite, though. He had always been a hardworking worker.

Donghae quickly left, holding the brown envelope in one of his hands tightly and ran to the street he visited the previous day.

10 minutes left

He hated himself to take the glance to the device once again.

The moment he arrived at his previous spot that day he looked around and found the red light that supposed to be core of the accident. He rushed to it almost too carelessly as he kept on nudging people here and there throughout the way.

He stood at the pavement and looked around for that certain guy he saw the other day. He didn’t remember how his face looked like because it really did happen in a flash, but at least he got the picture of him with blonde hair and was in a rather light pink shirt.

It was before the light turned red and Donghae’s device stated less than a minute was left. Donghae desperately looked around.

The glass door of the café just behind the pavement was pushed in a rather hurried way and before he knew it the guy that just look like what Donghae imagined him to be rushed past him. He didn’t realize what he was doing but he managed to get a grip of the guy’s hand. The blonde turned his head.

“Let me go,” the guy said and yanked his hand away, it was said almost in a scared way. Donghae was just stunned with the figure that seemed too odd that he lost his grip. But he managed to get it again as the words came from his mouth,

“Don’t…”

The guy yanked harder, sent a glare towards Donghae before he walked way quicker as the light counter kept counting down.

As well as the device attached in Donghae’s wrist did.

Donghae’s pace got quicker as he tried to catch the other to prevent him, and got him away, from the accident spot. But the blonde was quicker. Way too quick.

The shrieks, and the aftermath screams was just still the same. It was just so loud that the mere second sound kept intact in Donghae’s head longer than it should be. The body that looked so strong and so fragile at the same way fell and hit the ground hard.

It was as if the time stops. Breathings hitched.

The light turned green.

People started to gather around the body and honks from the car that didn’t witness the accident roared.

Donghae felt the now familiar pain came. He had failed again.

The pain became so unbearable before the familiar darkness greeted him roughly.

He was sure he saw blood.

---

Donghae woke up again to the familiar pain. It was just like a second ago he fell to the darkness and now he had to face another day.

Another repeated day.

He was afraid he was going to get bored with it. He already felt it’s coming.

He tried to get up and prepared the clothes and took a bath. It took him longer than the previous day because he was not in a hurry. As he poured water to wet his entire head and body, he slowly recalled what had just happened at the time that felt just a moment ago.

He should have been able to save the guy, he was positively sure of that.

But there was just something that struck him the moment he saw his face, it seemed so alien. Too alien that it made it odd. It’s like a familiar feeling that is greatly forced to be unfamiliar and ended up to be too unknown, too unfamiliar.

Donghae tried to push the thoughts away and decided to continue what he had been doing because all of the things he over thought had become too bewildering and overwhelming.

He wish he had ended up to that tacky reddish room again. At least there was someone who knew the answers of every question lingering in his head right now, and might, with all the pleadings tell him.

He went for breakfast as what he did two times before. The sandwich tasted perfectly the same, they also talked about the government selling the place. And when they were about to finish, Donghae remembered something.

Is it really his birthday tomorrow?

Donghae tried to put it up on words because he really was curious about it.

“Well… who’s going to have his birthday tomorrow~?” Donghae tried to be teasing. He really didn’t know how to put it up beside that way. He really wished it was not awkward as how he felt inside.

And, if it’s not true it will be embarrassing as hell.

The rather sheepish smile from the other clarified it all, Donghae quietly sighed in relief.

“What do you want as a present?” Donghae asked again. He didn’t really mean to ask it, but it’s just if it just stopped right there, it would be super awkward for the both of them.

Kibum just shook his head and showed the other his sweet smile. No words came out from his mouth. Donghae didn’t do anything after and just smiled back. He took a look at his wrist under the table and got up,

“I need to go,”

“Be safe, hyung.”

---

He wasn’t late for work that day. He did similar things as what he did yesterday as his mind kept him thinking on how he should save the guy. It wouldn’t clearly work if he kept preventing him to cross the street just like how he thought before because he wouldn’t believe him for anything he did. He might end up getting beaten up if the other screams for help if he pulled him by force let alone failing again.

He kept thinking until he found out that the only way is to approach the guy.

But it needed time right?

He looked at the back of his wrist and found out that it has only been around 20 minutes since he started working. Even if he was the boss’ favorite, he was sure he wouldn’t get the access to get out so easily.

He decided to spend some more time working, it doesn’t need so much time to approach, he thought. He only needed to make the guy believe that he was not going to do any harm to him, and all he wanted to do was just to save him.

He kept on taking a glance to the counter as he worked because he didn’t want to lose the track of time. And when it said that 30 minutes were left, he put down all his painting equipment and excused himself from the bewildered Jungsoo.

Luckily, as he expected, the boss let him out, even gave him his salary in advance. Donghae said it was only for 15 minutes. But did it really matter if he didn’t get back as he promised?

He took a quicker pace to the main street before heading himself to the café he had seen the guy coming from. Just when he was about to push the door and got in, he was blocked.

“What are you doing right here?” a well-built tall man in all black uniform threw him a question and look at him virtually in a disgusted way from head to toe.

“I’m going in,” Donghae looked a bit annoyed with the irritating mimic from the big figure before him. He seemed like a security of the café. The café was actually one of the prestige ones in the city. It could easily be told from the exterior and the obvious classy interior from the glass windows.

Donghae sighed, he knew he didn’t really look good in the clothes and all. He looked just like how the place he had woken up every repeated day, poor.

“I have money,” Donghae raised his brown envelope up to the security’s face “Doesn’t that make me a customer?”

“We don’t need beggar inside the café, I apologize,” The security said. It was so obvious that he’s being sarcastic in the last part of the sentence.

Donghae threw his last glare before he stomped almost childishly as he walked away. He didn’t want to be insulted this way. There’s no way people could do it to him. It’s maybe not his actual self, but he thought that people couldn’t just mistreat people and call them beggar just because they’re poor.

He walked in a rather puzzled way along the pavement by the stores when a male mannequin stood behind a clothes shop glass window caught his attention.

Right. He should change his appearance, it would also affect the impression he got from the guy he’s going to save, right?

He pulled the thin stack of bills inside the brown envelope and counted it,

30.000 won

He didn’t know If it’s enough but he entered the shop anyway. The shopkeeper sent him a look that almost similar to what the security gave him earlier. He chose to ignore it and began to look through the clothes. All of them looked so bright compared to all the faded clothes that was in the body he’s in’s  wardrobe.

He was interested in a piece of shirt but then he saw the price tag,

35.000 won

He knew it’s not going to work if he searched for himself. He then asked the shopkeeper,

“Is there any pair of clothes that cost less than 30.000 won?”

His question made a confused face out of the shopkeeper but then the petite girl hesitantly walked to another section of the shop and raised something and spoke,

“You can get two of these for 29.900 won,”

It was undergarment.

Donghae shook his head to himself and went out of the shop without saying anything.

He looked around and tried to find a store that look poorer than the one he had just entered and might get him something cheaper.

He walked in and out from a shop to another but the money he held was so limited that he couldn’t even get the cheapest pair of clothes the shops own. It was until he found a plain-looking shop that had the humongous “SALE” banner attached on it. He entered and looked at the price tag of the first clothes he found.

He just knew that finally he will find something.

But one thing he didn’t knew was he was definitely running out of time.

He walked deeper in the shop and went through racks of clothes as he tried to find something that might catch his attention. It was until he decided to try on a pair of clothes that fit the money he owned and wasn’t that bad at all that he finally realized something.

The time.

He gave a harsh hasty look at his wrist and cursed under his breath before he ran out of the shop to the street and realized that he had gone too far. He knew he couldn’t make it the second he heard rather faint crash sound from a distance.

He didn’t even got close to the accident spot when it turned dark and black was all he saw.

---

“Third day,” the voice  greeted him as the black slowly turned to nasty red once again.

Finally, he was here again, he thought.

He saw the tall creature curved his lips to a perfect smirk.

“Enjoyed shopping?” the black fur hat still was perfectly seated above his head as he threw the obvious mocking question.

Donghae sighed as he mentally scolded himself for being too carried away in choosing clothes. But it’s not his mistakes that the weekly salary was so limited that made it difficult whatsoever.  He let out a deep sigh once again as he collected questions inside his mind and was ready to ask them out.

“It’s not as easy as you’d expected, is it?”

Donghae couldn’t help but tiredly nodded at that. It’s really beyond what he had thought.

“I will just do it right next time, won’t I?” Donghae muttered to himself as trail of plans was listed in his mind, a part of him wanted the pre-god to hear.

“You might,” that’s exactly what he wanted to hear coming out from the pre-god’s mouth.

“But like what I’ve said, no one had ever made it,” he continued without any hesitancy.

Donghae looked down at his feet, the confidence he had before had mildly gone.

“I’m wondering,” Donghae started, “Why don’t I just save the life of the body I borrow?”

The pre-god looked at him weirdly as if he was talking to a complete idiot.

“I’ve told you that he actually died the night before right? You’re actually borrowing a body of a gone soul, Donghae,” the pre-god said, and it was a pause. Donghae was rather surprised at two things, the fact that he just realized, and how the pre-god just addressed him by his name that way as he never did before.

The pre-god realized what did he just did and clicked his tongue unknowingly before tried to be as casual as possible continued,

“He’s now resting in peace in the Underworld, you don’t have to worry about him.”

Donghae fell to a deep silence after that and upon the pre-god’s will, he abruptly lost his consciousness at the particular pre-god’s palace millions miles up in the sky.

---

“Can I try this on?”

The staff got near him as Donghae raised a pair of clothes.

“If it fits, I’ll pay right away,” Donghae convinced her as she too, like the previous shopkeepers observed him. He looked around to find the fitting room, the staff realized what he was searching and pointed to a direction.

It was a plaid shirt and a pair of fabric pants, quite decent for an appearance but not that nice. He took a look at himself for a moment in the mirror provided in the fitting room before quickly grabbed his previously worn clothes and got out of the tiny room and gave the amount of money printed on both price tags and hurried himself out of the shop.

He had only a few of farthings left so he didn’t order anything after he had casually entered the café and panned his vision at the room.  It took him sometime in the crowded fancy café before he finally found the guy sitting by the glass window at the other side of the cafe.

Confidence slowly lost its way and he had difficulty on meddling with it as he hesitantly walked his way to the guy.

What should I do?

He just stood there in front of the guy with a laptop seated on the table before him, couldn’t decided on what to do. Donghae got his attention as he looked up and spoke out the words,

“May I help you?”

It sounds… so friendly. It was unlike the guy who yanked and got away from him the other day. The shape of his rather big eyes looking up made an alien overwhelming feeling covered Donghae completely.

He was as if drown and forced to swim his way out of the look.

“M-May I sit here?”  Donghae slightly stammered after he finally got a hold of himself after a mere second. He quietly heaved a sigh of relief at the nod the other gave accompanied with a soft “sure” which was very much still in a friendly way. Donghae observed him slightly as the other returned his attention to the laptop screen looked concentrated.

“I’m Lee Donghae by the way,” Donghae was hesitant but he did it anyway. He slowly extended his hand as he watched the other shook his hand, looking oddly surprised.

“Wow, really?”

“Yeah….why?” Donghae was confused as the words came out unplanned from his pair of lips.

“Ah…nothing, I’m Lee Hyukjae,” the guy who’s just mentioned to be Hyukjae hold Donghae’s hand for a moment before he got back resting his back on the back of his seat and started a conversation casually,

“So what do you do… Donghae-ssi?” Hyukjae seemed to be rather hesitant when spelling the name. Donghae assumed that he might just unsure of the name he had just encountered.

While Donghae, he felt something was lifted up upon him that he finally could put a name to the face.

It’s Lee Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae whose life he’s going to save.

Donghae thought for a moment before he decided to answer an honest answer,

“I’m working on a hotel project nearby.”

Hyukjae looked like he thought of something before he put up on a serious face and say,

“Woah, it must be hard for you. Hotel’s blueprint’s is no joke. I’m an architect too by the way,”

Donghae was bewildered. It took him seconds before he finally realized the other man had just mistaken him to be an architect instead of a construction worker. He wanted to deny but his mind refused him to do so.

“Why did make you think I’m an architect?” Hyukjae asked, looking curious.

Hyukjae got his vision back to him, their eyes directly met, which what Donghae feared the most at that moment.

“Your sentence. An interior designer wouldn’t say he’s working on a project, instead… something like “I’m designing a hotel’s interior” I guess? But I was right, right?”

Donghae could just nod as his eyes was unfocused and was looking somewhere else.

Why am I like this?

It was a rather awkward silent for the both of them before Hyukjae started talking once again,

“Don’t you order something?”

“I-I’m waiting for someone, so…” He couldn’t say he didn’t have money to order one, right? It’s better to lie as it wouldn’t affect much. Well, that’s what he thought.

“Oh, right,” Hyukjae spoke rather quietly as he turned his concentration back to his laptop.

“Waiting , doesn’t it?” Hyukjae surprisingly commented.

“But of course it depends on what or who you are waiting for.”

Donghae was stunned at the other’s last sentence as his mind began to travel as how it always did.

Did he ever wait for someone in his life?

Did he ever have someone waiting for him?

The sudden short tune was heard and it turned out to came from Hyukjae’s handheld. The latter took a look at his phone and closed his laptop as he said,

“I need to go, thanks for the short talk,”

So it’s how it started. Donghae took a look at the device attached to his wrist and was thinking on how to prevent Hyukjae from going.

“Nice to meet you…. Donghae,” Hyukjae gave a small smile before he left the table and headed to the café’s exit door.

Donghae wanted to know more about the other guy, and probably learn things he didn’t know, things he might have forgotten in his life.

And if he successfully saved him from the accident, it wouldn’t happen, would it?

There was still a big chance for him to complete his mission, to make Hyukjae’s life last that very time, but all he did was sit still in the place he previously sat on, back facing the glass window which directly face the street which was the accident spot.

The same crash sound was heard and Donghae could only turn his body to see the part of Hyukjae’s body behind the circle of people’s crowd through the glass door.

His vision then focused on his own practically vivid reflection of bits of regrets in his own facial expression before everything turned black.

As he already used to encountering. 

 

A/N: well, HII /waves 

this story takes a lot of time to update but yes i started it in a busy time and this second chapter is also written in a busy time so it's so crappy and boring and all. The next one will be the last, and i'm still in the progress in writing it while the first and second had been posted in my LJ long long time ago. 

this story had been in my mind for like ever but all i could think is the ending. so as you can see it results to a not-so-defined progress.

btw, please tell me what you think just please /begs ;_; or at least subscribe if you want more of this. I don't mind silent reader, I guess, but i'll feel that people are disliking my stories if i get a very few comment like i do on LJ T_T 

have a nice day tho :3