Chapter 2

We Were In Love!

 

 
Kiseop and Hyemi finally arrive at the front of her house again, and it seems that their little date ended.
"Oppa, thankyou for tonight... I really enjoyed it... Especially when...."
Kiseop cut her sentence. "When we kissed, right?"
Hyemi nods slowly. "...Oppa, is there something wrong?"
Kiseop nods. "S-Sure. Everything's fine... I'll see you later, okay?"
Hyemi softly smiles, and waves goodbye. She senses that something is wrong.
She looks outside her window, and watches Kiseop's black car drive off. "nothing's wrong..." she quietly repeats to herself. "Nothing's wrong."
Feeling a little exhausted, Hyemi climbs up the stairs, and lays in bed immediately. 
 
Nothing's wrong... I'm going to see him again tomorrow.
 
 
5 weeks later...
Hyemi and Kiseop have not been contacting eachother for 5 weeks now, and Hyemi is starting to get very depressed.
"Ani... I can not be like eomma... I have to stay strong... He will come back."
She takes a sip from her warm hot chocolate that she ordered, and at the same time, someone takes a seat in front of her.
"...Nam Woohyun Oppa!" Hyemi exclaims, almost falling off her chair. "It's been a while!"
Woohyun smiles and nods. "It's been 2 months, huh... Wow, you've lost weight... So where's Kiseop?" 
Without a word, Woohyun knew things weren't going well when Hyemi looked down at the table.
"You know what, Hyemi? We'll visit him, ok? Maybe that'll cheer you up!"
Hyemi smiles slowly, and hugs Woohyun. "Thankyou, Oppa!"
 
Woohyun and Hyemi make it to Kiseop's house, and no one opens the door.
Hyemi pouts, and Woohyun decides to knock a little harder. Still, no one opens the door. Seeing the disappointed Hyemi, Woohyun grabs her hand and pulls her towards the back entrance. 
"it's the only way in." woohyun whispers, and opens the sliding door.
Hyemi follows him close behind.
After closing the door behind her, they both climb the stairs of the silent house. 
While walking up the stairs, Woohyun and Hyemi hear quick movements, as if someone heard them arrive.
Just as they make it up the stairs, Kiseop walks out of his room, and slams his bedroom door behind him.
"H-Hyemi? Woohyun? Wh-What are you guys doing here?" he asks stuttering.
"Oppa, I haven't seen you for ages! Where have you been?" Hyemi asks pouting.
Woohyun goes down the stairs, allowing the two to continue their conversation.
"Hyemi Ah, why are you here?" 
Hyemi's heart drops. "O-Oppa... I'm your girlfriend... Why shouldn't I be here?"
Kiseop shrugs. "Maybe we should end us. I'm really frustrated... I've met different kind of girls already, and they seem way better than you. It's so frustrating knowing that I can't have them with you around."
Hyemi's eyes widen in disbelief. "Wh-What...?"
"That's right. And guess what? I'm having with another girl right now." he pushes his bedroom door open. "See for yourself."
Hyemi cries, and just runs out of the house. She buries her teary face in her hands.
"Hyemi Ah... What happened?" Woohyun asks concerned. He back hugs her and sighs. "Kiseop made you cry for what reason?"
"Th-There's another woman....." she says between her sobs.
Woohyun could not believe it. It was not like him. 
His best friend was not like that,
"...Hyemi Ah. Be mine, so that I could stop you from crying... Maybe you could at least forget him when you're with me... Please, don't cry anymore."
Hyemi turns around and hugs Woohyun tightly. She has never hugged any other man like this before - other than Kiseop.
"Thankyou... Thankyou so much... But just give me some time, arasseo?"
Woohyun nods, understanding. "Would you like me to drive you home?" 
Hyemi thinks for a second, "Take me to the orphanage first, Oppa."
 
***
 
Hyemi carefully unlocks the door of the orphanage, and one of the children run to her for a hug. "Noonaaa~," he giggles. "Where's Kiseop Hyung?" 
Hyemi gives the child a soft smile. "Kiseop Oppa can't make it today, okay?" she says, bending down to his level. 
The boy pouts, then smiles again. "But the other Hyung is here!" 
He hugs Woohyun tightly, then Woohyun lifts him up with his strong arms.
"Annyeong, Hyun Jong." he says, carrying him. "Did Mr and Mrs Lee leave you alone today?"
Hyun Jong shakes his head. "Ani! Mrs Lee is in the kitchen!"
Suddenly, Kiseop's mother walks to them from the kitchen. 
"Ah, Hyemi Ah! Woohyun Ah! Long time no see," she says sweetly. "Kiseop didn't come with you?"
Woohyun shakes his head. "Ani, he's at his house."
Mrs Lee nods, trying to understand. "He hasn't been visiting our orphanage for many weeks... What's been going on?"
Hyemi shakes her head. "M-Mrs Lee..." she stutters.
"What happened to calling me umma, Hyemi?" she asks her.
Hyemi fake smiles. "Umma," she starts, then explains EVERYTHING to her.
"Waaah?! Chincha?! That stupid boy!" she yells rushing to get the phone. She locks herself into the bathroom and starts a private conversation with him.
 
His Mum: Lee Kiseop! What is going on with you?!
Kiseop: What?
His Mum: Why are you doing this to Hyemi Ah?!
Kiseop: Mum, you know its for the better..
His Mum: Argh, Kiseop... You better be careful of your decisions!
 
As Mrs Lee exits the bathroom, she sees Hyemi crying in Woohyun's arms. Woohyun was also looking sad, while hugging Hyemi.
"Hyemi Ah, Woohyun Ah... What's wrong?"
She turns her attention to Hyun Jong. 
"I told them about Jung Ah, Umma." he whispers.
Jung Ah was one of the other orphans ; the only female one. She died 2 weeks ago due to heart failure. Now Hyun Jong was the only orphan left.

 

Mrs Kim softens, and hugs Hyemi tightly. "...It's okay, a lot of things like that happen in life..."
After a few minutes of comforting, Mrs Kim unlocks the front door. "I need to go shopping, ok? I'll be back in half an hour..."
Woohyun and Hyemi nod, as the door closes. They sit there in silent, still thinking of Jung Ah.
Woohyun wraps his arms around Hyemi's waist. 
"Hyemi Ah, I'll always be here for you, okay?"
Hyemi nods, and drops her head onto his shoulder.
The door swings open, and Woohyun and Hyemi jump up. "Kiseop Oppa!"
Kiseop glares at Woohyun and Hyemi.
"What are the two of you doing here? You don't belong here. Just get out of my sight!"
Woohyun grabs Hyemi's hand, and pulls her out of the house. "Hyemi, don't cry..."
Hyemi shakes her head. "I-I won't cry anymore... I have you now." she says, looking at him with her bright eyes.
 
Kiseop throws the frame onto the ground, making the glass shatter. Hyun Jong stares at Kiseop helplessly. 
"Hyung-nim, why are you doing that?" 
Kiseop groans, and sits down. "Aish! I don't know... I just CAN'T love her, okay? I just can't!"
Hyun Jong flinches as Kiseop kicks the table, letting the vase break. 
"...Without her here anymore, I feel so incomplete! I just...want to live like a normal person again!" 
Tears run down his face, as he hits his head with his palm.
"I just want...to live a normal life again......" He whispers, staring at his continuously shaking arm.