Switched

I'm Not Your Sasaeng Fan!

 

              The wind might blow and the sky might rain but Jong In’s awkwardness would never change. Kai watched as Jong In shuffled out of the university building with his hands in his pockets and head down, letting his long bangs fall over his forehead. Most people could tell twins apart right away but it wasn’t the case when it came to Kai and Jong In. They were as different as day and night.

                Kai loved the spotlight and public recognition while Jong In liked the shade and preferred to stay out of the limelight. Kai loved performing and showing people what he was capable of. Jong In, on the other hand, would probably pee on himself if he had to go on stage and dance, even though he was almost as good as Kai when it came to dancing. Confidence and dance skills were the only thing that Kai had because truthfully, Jong In beat him in everything else, from getting perfect grades in school to getting a girlfriend.

                “Jong In.” Kai said when his twin was within a close range.

                Jong In snapped his head up and looked over to his left. Surprise, thrill, and confusion filled him when he realized Kai was here, “Kai? What are you doing here?”

                “I just want to see you. How’s school?”

                “Not bad. I just finished my BUS 246 class.” Jong In cocked his head to one side as he observed his twin with a more speculating eye, “Do you have something important to tell me?”

                “Yeah…I do.” Kai rubbed his palms together, hoping the acting classes he took in SM when he was a trainee would help make this scene convincing, “The thing is, I have a twisted ankle and the doctor said I can’t dance for a week. Would you mind filling in for me for a week or two?”

                Jong In widened his eyes. Bending downward, he tried lifting up Kai’s pants to check on the "injuries" but Kai swatted him away.

                “You’re going to make me lose balance if you do that!” Kai lied, forcing Jong In to stand upright again.

                “When did you hurt yourself?” Jong In asked worriedly.

                “Uh…today. In the afternoon, while I was practicing.”

                “You work too hard, Kai.” Jong In frowned, “Don’t overload yourself. I don’t want you to get hurt. Mom and Dad will be heartbroken if they know about this.”

                Kai wanted to scoff at Jong In’s remark. Their parents only cared about Jong In and Jongdae, they didn't care about him. But he didn’t want to talk about Mom and Dad right now. Right now, he had to convince Jong In to play along.

                “So, can you pretend to be me for a week?” Kai asked, “I’ll be you for a week. I’ll go to all your classes.”

                “You’re going to drag down my grades.”

                “Please, I’m only bad at math. I’m pretty smart in the other subjects. What classes are you taking this semester anyway?”

                “Two business classes, a music theory class, an European studies class, and a French class.” Jong In listed.

                Kai waved his hand, “Yeah, I can do that for you. So, can we change identities?”

                “Wait, doesn’t EXO have a comeback later next week?” Jong In pointed out, remembering what Kai had told him earlier on the phone.

                Damn it, Jong In was right! Kai furrowed his brows as he weighed the consequences. On one hand, he really wanted to help Mira. One the other hand, his career was also very important, especially since the MV shooting for their new song was scheduled for this week. But he wanted to see the dreamy look on Mira’s face; he wanted to make Mira smile. He wanted to spend more time with Mira.

                “I do but like I said before, I have a twisted ankle. I need to lay off my feet for a few days. Besides, you’re a great dancer, you can keep up with the choreography. Luhan and Chen are the main vocalists, so you don’t have to worry about singing or anything like that. Even if they do give you lines, it’s just going to be a couple of rap phrases and maybe a screamo part.”

                Jong In didn’t look too convinced but he agreed after taking another look at Kai’s “twisted” ankle. Reaching into his backpack, he pulled out his wallet and exchanged IDs and phones with his twin.

                “Here are the apartment keys to the Wanda Buildings. I live in apartment 23A with the rest of the guys. I share a room with Lay.” Kai slipped a set of keys into Jong In’s palms, “I think that’s pretty much it.”

                “Okay. Take care, Kai. You don’t have to go to class if you don’t want to, most of them are lectures and I can just check the online lecture notes that my professors put up…so you know, rest as much as you can.”

                Kai nodded, “Yeah, I will. Thanks, Jong In, you are the best.”       

***

                Jong In didn’t know what to expect as he opened the door to Kai’s apartment building. How would the guys react? He knew Kai's friends but they weren't really on the friendly side. 

                “Man, Kai, you’re late today.” Lay bellowed the moment Jong In stepped through the door. His voice trailed off when he realized it wasn’t Kai but Kai’s twin.

                “Jong In, what are you doing here? Where’s Kai?” the boys asked, confusion colored their faces as they all stared at Jong In.

                “He’s at our parents’ place, resting.”

                “Why?” Kris asked, raising an eyebrow.

                “He twisted his ankle.”

                “He did? When did that happen?” Sehun scoffed, looking up from his physics book. Despite being the whiniest in the group, he was the most intellectually mature than the rest of the guys.

                “Today.”

                “Maybe that’s why he left practice early today.” Luhan noted, tapping his chin.

                “But he is never that irresponsible. Dancing is his passion, why would he leave all of a sudden just because of a twisted ankle?” Suho asked.

                “But Kai hurt his ankle last month…maybe the pain is coming back.” Lay interjected, “Oh whatever, let him rest for a week if he has to.” He looked at Jong In, “You can dance, right, kiddo?”

                “Y-yeah.”

                “Good.” Lay narrowed his eyes as he looked at Jong In up and down, “But we need to do something about your looks. You need a bang trim and lots of gel.”

                “And get rid of these geeky glasses.” Sehun pulled Jong In’s glasses off him face, “Do you really need them?”

                “Yes, I do!” Jong In said, panicking as he waved his arms around, trying to feel for his glasses, “I have myopia, I can’t see without my glasses.”

                “Oh, sorry. I thought you’re faking since Kai doesn’t need glasses.” Sehun said sheepishly as he returned Jong In’s glasses.

***

                “Why aren’t you guys sleeping yet? It’s already 3:45 A.M.” Jong In said after coming out of the showers in Kai’s plaid pajamas. It felt weird wearing Kai’s clothes since they rarely shared garments. But it was weirder seeing all the guys sitting jadedly in the living room, staring at the clock on the wall like a bunch of braindead zombies.

                “We’re waiting for the psycho next door to scream.” Sehun said, yawning as he flipped through the pages of his book.

                “Psycho?”

                “The girl next door screams every single night at 4:00 A.M. for no good reason. I swear she’s a maniac.” Sehun said, twitching his nose, “It’s funny how precise she is every time. It’s always at 4:00, not a minute more, not a minute less.”

                Jong In thought Sehun was kidding but when the clock struck 4:00, the screaming did start. It was like hearing a scene out of a horror movie. Jong In swallowed as the shrill hollering continued for two straight minutes before dying down.

                “Okay, we can sleep now.” Sehun mumbled when the yelling ceased. After putting down his book on the table, he shuffled to his bedroom.

                Damn…this was really weird. Jong In peeked out the peephole, wondering who was in 23B.      

 


 

Author's Note: Jong In, you're so gullible. :3

Anyway, I'm going back to Sehun and Hyolim next chapter!