A Happy Day

This Harsh Society

 

3/end;

 

 

 

 

 

Ten years later

 

The sky was clear. The sun was out and shining brightly. It was slightly breezy and Bobby could hear the messy riot inside the booked hall. Today was the day, he thought, they sure picked a nice day. Sighing to himself, he walked back inside, being extra careful around the filing-in guests as he silently slid to the back of building in his waiting room. 

 

In the years since he realised he loved Hanbin, Bobby continued to experience some emotional upheaval, but he supposed that was to be expected. From the day that Jisoo had confronted him, he woke with a feeling of dread, and would spend hours trying to rock himself back to sleep. After his realisation that his love was unreachable and that it could never be, he expected it to eventually grow out on him. He was wrong. Everyday, Bobby would feel Hanbin’s absence with a knife-edged sharpness he couldn’t contain. And today, the pain was incredibly painful.

 

 

Today, was Hanbin’s wedding day and he, Bobby, was to be the most supportive of his friends, or at least he wanted to be anyway. 

 

 

Bobby told himself to act natural. Just like how he had endured for more than ten years, he wanted to be the most supportive friend for Hanbin. It was to be the "happiest day of his life" just like how others described marriage. Nevertheless, the intense chest pain, his stinging eyes and his pale complexion were obvious physical signs that he was not alright at all. He tried to avoid looking in the mirror, just to keep himself away from the constant reminder that Hanbin was soon to be married.All day yesterday, he had practiced smiling, telling himself that he couldn’t appear awkward and mess everything up. Telling himself that no matter how much he wanted to yell objection and run away with Hanbin. He must not. It would clearly cause additional problems to occur, not to mention the fact that Hanbin was still oblivious to his feelings and Bobby wanted to keep it that way. He promised himself that he would not screw this up and he tended to keep his promises. 

 

 

..

Bobby had yet to meet Hanbin today. Hanbin was apparently busy getting dressed and finalising his preparations for the ceremony. To pass time, Bobby looked out of the window beside him, he stared at the blue sky, the swaying trees, the birds flying across the sky. Looking at the beautiful landscape comforted him. It really is a beautiful day, he thought.

 

“Bobby,” a familiar voice called out from behind. Bobby slowly turned to meet the eyes of the voice’s owner. It was indeed no other than Hanbin himself. Bobby slowly stood up and studied Hanbin closely and decided that he was perfect, too perfect. He was wearing the traditional all black suit and bowtie along, dress shoes with a white polo shirt to contrast the dull colour. His black hair was also styled to perfection. “You’re looking good,” he casually exclaimed as he carefully walked towards the latter.

“I could say the same about you,” Hanbin grinned his trademark gummy smile. Bobby took note of his smile and was once again mesmerised by its charming qualities. Jisoo is one lucky girl, Bobby silently thought, and wondered how nice it would be if he were to be born a woman. Forcing back the tears that were beginning to form, Bobby leaned forward, raised his hands to Hanbin’s bowtie and neatly adjusted it. “It’s crooked,” he explained as he noted that Hanbin had flinched by his sudden action.

 

Bobby took a deep breath and looked into Hanbin’s eyes: “Hanbin. I have been your best friend for god knows how many years but yet I feel as if I have done nothing but burden you. I, Bobby, am so happy for you. You, are the most precious, perfect … kindest person I have ever met and Jisoo is very lucky to have you. From today onwards, continue being you. Just because you're married doesn't mean you have to change. Jisoo married you because of who you are. Don't let others cloud your mind and tell you what to do. Don't worry what others think about you, just like you always do. Continue being yourself because that's why Jisoo loves you." Just like how I love you, Bobby thought. "Today is your happy day and I hope that you will continue to enjoy happy days for the years to come.”

 

“Thanks Bobby.” Hanbin said, his eyes still focused on Bobby’s. "I really appreciate having a friend like you."

 

I love you, Bobby thought as he scanned Hanbin’s black round orb-like eyes, straight nose and flawless skin.

 

I love you, Bobby thought as all of his memories with Hanbin flashed across his mind in an instant.

 

I love you. The words that Bobby wanted to say, but couldn’t.

 

 

“Hanbin, it’s time to start,” called an unknown voice from outside.Hanbin broke their eye contact and replied: “I’m coming.” He turned back and looked back into Bobby’s now watery eyes.

“I’m... going to go now…” Hanbin said and hesitantly turned to the door. Bobby stared at the elder’s retreating broad back. It was now or never, he thought.

 

“Hanbin!” Bobby exclaimed, just loud enough so that only both could hear his words.

 

Hanbin paused from his steps.

 

“I… I love you.” I know you will find happiness.

 

Without looking back, Hanbin replied:

 

“I love you too,” and left the room after standing there for a few moments.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Bobby left the room moments after Hanbin left. He again, worked his way across the hall as he wanted to attain the best position to see Hanbin walk up the aisle with his wife. Bobby was in time and a few metres away from where Hanbin stood. The music finally cued in and a beautiful yet sad sonata echoed on the walls of the hall. It was right before the moment when the couple would be cued into their walk when Hanbin noticed Bobby. Bobby smiled. It wasn’t the forced smile he had practiced hundreds, no thousands of times yesterday night. His smile was genuine. He was happy that Hanbin was happy. It was simple as that. As soon as the couple were given the cue to begin their walk, Bobby decided to leave. As his emtotions started to stir, he knew that he wasn’t strong enough to see the pair say their vows. He headed out of the wedding hall, into the landscape he had admired earlier. 

 

 

 

A larger loving genuine smile formed as Bobby walked out of the doors of the wedding hall with his tear-stained face. He didn't bother wiping them as he knew more were to come. He happily spread his arms out and embraced the comforting breeze. 

 

 

At the same time in the wedding hell, a tear slid down Hanbin’s face and onto the furnished carpet  as Hanbin walked through the wedding hall next to his soon-to-be wife with a simple and content smile.

 

 

 

 

Today was a happy day.