III

Immortal Haze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

13 Years Later

Amber was startled awake from a nightmare. Her forehead was beaded with sweats. She looked up at the clock that hung on her wall. The clock hands showed that it was two o’clock in the morning. It was the same nightmare that had been haunting her, depriving her of her precious sleep since she turned eighteen a year ago.

A man shrouded in darkness slowly advancing toward her. She was frozen on the spot by those pairs of dark eyes, unable to budge from the spot she stood.

“Save me,” he begged. His voice was hoarse and it raked at her ears.

She felt torn. One part of her wanted to save him, but the other part of her knew that he could destroy them all – the Immortals and the Mortal alike. 

He stopped just inches before her and fell to his knees. He reached for her, but she backed away from him. Those eyes looking up at her pierced through her like a hot knife.

Every night, always at the same time the nightmare occurred and it always ended with those dark pain filled eyes looking, piercing through her. 

Amber ran her hand through her new short crop hair. She was still trying to get use to it. She always had long hair until recently. Those Pyrokinesis thought it would be funny to pick on the new recruits. Amber wasn’t going to let them especially when two of those new recruits were Se Hun and Jong In. 

The Academics went into research. Looking for a way to better understand how the Immortals came to be. They put together data on how to control and develop the various powers of the Immortals.  Those with mentality based abilities usually chose the Academic route.

Those with physical abilities usually chose the Military route.

The Military focused on protecting the Immortals from the Mortals. They also keep the peace between the Immortals. Power is a dangerous thing to have and no one is perfect. Evil knows no boundaries.

Within the Military there’s a specialized sector called The Unit. They focus on search and rescue. The majority of the Immortals had sought refuge on Helios, but there are some that refuse and it were The Unit’s job to seek for them and provide what help they can. The Unit also searches for the Immortals that had gone missing or kidnapped by the Mortals.

Amber’s parents wanted her to choose the Academic path, but The Council had out voted them and placed Amber with The Unit. They knew that Amber’s power of Telepathy, super tracking – also known as path finding, superhuman strength and the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter