Lighting the fire

Cover Girl

 

Heechul had found out from Taemin that Hana ditched the poor guy from their dinner date. He was deeply disappointed at his daughter’s actions. Can she at least give this whole thing a chance? She would not even listen to him when he decided to give her a sermon about how she treated Dr. Lee Donghae’s son.

 

They were eating their dinner that night when Heechul told Hana she has to go at tomorrow’s dinner date with a guy named Oh Sehun. He kept repeating the details about the supposed to be date but Hana’s barely listening and paying attention.

 

“Kim Hana, are you listening?” Heechul asked, putting down his fork and sternly looked at Hana who was drinking her glass of juice and glaring at the man sitting opposite to her who’s known as Kim Myungsoo.

 

Hana hummed in response, throwing invisible daggers at Myungsoo through her eyes. Myungsoo was definitely good at ignoring Hana’s killer glare and kept eating his hot pot of kimchi jjigae peacefully.

 

“Who’s going to be your date?” Heechul asked again, confirming whether his daughter was listening to him.

 

“Oh Sehun. One of your close friend’s son.” Hana replied.

 

Heechul gave an okay look as he stood up. “I’m off to work then. I won’t be home till tomorrow night so take care of your selves okay?” He said to both Hana and Myungsoo.

 

“Yes, father. Take care at work.”

 

When Heechul’s out of earshot, Myungsoo’s eyes finally met Hana’s. “What’s wrong with your eyes Ms. Kim? You want me to get you an ophthalmic decongestant?” Myungsoo sneered, seeing Hana’s annoyed face. Oh how he loves to piss off the girl.

 

“Haha,” Hana mocked a laugh. “Why don’t you open your eyes first? Oh my god wait. Yours eyes are already open. I’m sorry I hardly see your eyes. Next time wear something that could enlarge your squinty eyes, okay?”

 

And there was silence followed by a sudden dropping of temperature. Before World War III could even start, Hana broke the staring -glaring- contest and stood up. She does not have any time for games like this. Arguing with Myungsoo is a waste of time she would rather leave the house and lurk around Seoul than bicker with him.

 


 

 

“Miss Hana, we’re here.” The driver said as the car halted in front of a fine dining restaurant, where her date with the guy Sehun will be held. Hana begrudgingly took her bag beside her and went. This will just take 5 minutes. She will just sit there, introduce herself and after the guy formally introduced his self, she will walk out just like what she did to her previous date.

 

Myungsoo enjoys his day off by staying at their house the whole day, mostly catching up with sleep or playing his guitar. That’s the only day of the week when his mind is work-free or stress free. Being the son of the hospital’s owner has its advantages too because Heechul gave Myungsoo a one day off and he’s not allowed to be called at the hospital unless it’s an emergency.

 

But when his phone rings that late afternoon, he knows his day off will be put into an end.

 

“Yes?”

 

He did not expect to hear a long time friend’s voice in the other line. “Hey Myungsoo! Are you free today?” Myungsoo hesitatingly said yes. “Good! Today’s Chanyeol’s birthday and a kinda send off party and we wanted to invite you. He’s going to London next week for work. Do you still remember him? He’s our friend way back college though.”

 

Of course Myungsoo remembers Chanyeol. He’s their 6 footer friend who is so hyperactive and resembles a dumb giant. He used to be his group mate once in one of their Anatomy subjects.

 

Myungsoo gave his friend an affirmation that he will come and soon the address of the party place was given to him. He pondered on the place for a second before realizing that the party will be held in a club. A club. He hates club actually. The annoying loud noise blaring off the speakers, the senseless body waves by people who are enjoying the music and drinks that makes anyone lose their sanity within seconds are just some of the reasons why Myungsoo hates club so much. But since he’s doing their friend a favor, he might as well put aside his hatred for clubs. Even for tonight.

 

 

It was weird when Hana arrived at the restaurant her father talked about. She was expecting to see a seemingly fine man (like Taemin) already waiting for her at their table but she found no fine man. Instead, she was greeted by a boy who was dressed casually, a gray shirt topped with a sharp colored jacket. Maybe Sehun was not informed about that their date was a formal one?

 

Hana sits on her chair, giving Sehun a once over. Sehun’s face does not look so friendly. Hana notes how Sehun’s face was permanently carved into an irritated expression albeit he looks younger than her. The man looks so stoned.

 

“Don’t you think this is a crap place for a date?” Sehun said, smirking when he sees Hana smile at him.

 

“You look like the sweet, romantic type Oh Sehun-ssi.” Hana said as she, too, smirks at the suggestive look her date was giving her.

 

“And you look like the sheltered type of girl. Kim Hana-ssi?” Sehun jokes. Hana thinks she might have to ditch her initial plan of walking away from this date. She will, definitely, enjoy this one.

 

Two hours later, Hana finds herself dancing to an upbeat song playing throughout the room full of people covered with too much sweat and swaying her body to Sehun who was enjoying the same thing.  Sehun was saying something but Hana can barely hear any of it; the loud music was clogging Hana’s ears failing her sense of hearing.  Despite this Hana continues dancing to the beat along with her date, Sehun.

 

-----

 

Myungsoo and the rest of his college friends were in a special lounge in the club where the birthday boy, Chanyeol, rented for the rest of the attendees of his party. They were not that many. Most of the people who were there are Chanyeol’s closest friends. Though Myungsoo wonders why he was there in the first place. Did Chanyeol consider him as one of his friends? How nice of his college partner if he thinks of him as a friend.

 

Some bartender was giving out drinks, which was bubbly pink, to everyone when Chanyeol came to where he was and asked if he was enjoying the party. Myungsoo grinned and greeted Chanyeol a happy birthday. They had a brief conversation about their college days, mostly talking about how Chanyeol messes their experiment by cutting the wrong parts of their cadaver and using the wrong instruments. They laugh at each other before they noticed everyone piling up in front of the glass window, looking at the lower floor where people were dancing in a kind of lascivious way, rubbing their body against another body. Moments later, the people on the dance floor gave way for two people, a man and a woman, who started dancing in a more lewd way than ever. There were cheers and hoots from everywhere, Chanyeol’s visitors muttered something like ‘how disgusting’ as they continued judging the two dancers on the lower floor.

 

Myungsoo was not interested at all with what was happening on the dance floor but he does not know why his head turned towards the direction of the current center of attention. To be surprised was an understatement when Myungsoo realized that Hana was the girl who was dancing with a now shirtless boy.

 

His eyes reduced into tiny slits as he put down his glass of wine on a free table, saying something he will be back in a minute to Chanyeol when the guy asked him where he was going. Myungsoo made his way down, feeling something he couldn’t tell what it was. All he knew was Hana should not be dancing with that shirtless guy.

 

~~~~

A/N: not sure if anyone still remembers this fic.